PJ 20 Posters

rvapetervapete Posts: 488
edited September 2011 in Lost Dogs
We were fortunate enough to take care of our poster purchases both days well before the problems people seemed to have this past weekend. Saturday I was able to get #149 of the 200 Ames Bros Signed (Mookie Blaylock) prints for both nights for a reasonable $30 at their booth. In addition for an astonishingly only $20 they sold me one of the "Ames Bros vs Pearl Jam" books and both artists signed it right there in front of me. Tubes were readily for sale and due to my covered seats had no problem with the rain. We arrived Sunday at 1:37 pm, parked and made our way straight to the Merch tent outside the front of the show on the left as to not have to go in right away. My 2 friends each got one of the Hampton (Birthday Party/Kids Cake) prints in Red trim/accents for $35. My girlfriend then approached the vendor asking for the same print, except he asked her if she wanted a Pink trim/accent print that was supposedly rare. Pink being her favorite color she jumped at the chance and received the exact same poster just with the color variation for the same $35. We easily got a tube and went and put the second days poster in the car without thinking anything of it and her being happy to get a poster from her first ever Pearl Jam shows.

Since then I have read about all sorts of weird poster variations and releases on the internet and message boards. From what I can understand my "Mookie" print was one of 200 made for the weekend by Ames Bros who also made the first night's "Poster Parade Float Balloon" theme with Klausen doing the second nights "Parade of The Posters" theme. It's her "Kids Birthday Cake" poster made by Hampton where things seem to get a little muddled. I read that there were 200 Hampton prints of this poster which glow in the dark and reveal some sort of hidden images. Upon hearing this we were intrigued and checked her's out in the dark and got nothing. Is there some sort of 3rd print in Pink I haven't heard about, or is this just a totally random misprint?

If anyone has a breakdown on how the posters worked for the entire weekend I would love to know. I've been to 14 shows now since my mother let me go to my first at age 13 in 1998 at Constitution Hall in DC, and had never gotten a poster until this summer's EV show In Philly. I never knew there was such a following or such intricacies to the art/collecting of the concert posters and would love to hear from anyone else with stories on the subject.

Thanks,
DCPETE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If she got it from Hampton, then it is way better that the one at the general merch stand. It may not glow in the dark, but if it some artist prints are better than others. Putting a price on them is difficult, but if she's keeping it no need to put a price on it.
  • There were 2 variations at the merch stands and Hampton was selling the glow in the dark for $100 at his stand. It also looked like he was selling the red bordered one that they had in the merch stand.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    Got the lowdown from the artist himself,

Justin Hampton The ones that have the pink color were the super rare variants that PJ randomly threw in the main edition stacks at the merch booth at PJ20. I'm not sure how many were made but less than my edition of 200. So there were the red ink main edition, the pink randomly thrown in edition and my pink/ glow in the dark edition of 200. Hope that makes sense.
    11 minutes ago · Like

LUCKY US!