***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    The show in Tulsa last night was my first time seeing Glen live. I was definitely not disappointed.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This suck, its dark and pouring down rain right now in Austin ahead of his Stubbs outdoor show tonight.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

This suck, its dark and pouring down rain right now in Austin ahead of his Stubbs outdoor show tonight.

Did the show go ahead?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Bummer!!! I've been to Stubbs, that would be such a bummer in pouring rain... I hope it cleared up? Was it a go?
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:

Did the show go ahead?
    The rain held off.
    It was a good show, much looser performances with the change up of personnel. Wasnt the best setlist he chose IMO.
    Maybe it was the venue and setlist but it was a much better performance on his last tour, I saw him in Charleston. Something was missing last night.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Okay, so Glen opened his Australian tour in Brisbane last night. I have seen him a few times previously in support of EV, and couldn't wait for this show.
    I'm not sure there is a better singer/storyteller around at the moment. He has a wonderful way of retelling a story that makes you feel like you were there with him. His lead in stories about some of the songs were perfect. He has a that perfect Irish sense of humour and even dropped some Aussie slang a few times.
    His band complete his sound to its full effect and I found that I was constantly smiling during this show. No support act, and he started right on 7:30pm, which caught some of the crowd at the bar still, but he played for a solid 2.5 hours with really only a 1 minute break.

Can't recommend seeing Glen live enough. One of my favourite shows I've ever been too
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Did the show go ahead?
    The rain held off.
    It was a good show, much looser performances with the change up of personnel. Wasnt the best setlist he chose IMO.
    Maybe it was the venue and setlist but it was a much better performance on his last tour, I saw him in Charleston. Something was missing last night.
    I feel like there is pretty much always something missing at outdoor shows compared to indoor. Maybe that was it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    This is pretty cool

http://youtu.be/5t0KSIUE4T4

In anticipation and celebration of Glen's upcoming performances this weekend, Sydney Opera House and its Major Partner Intel Australia took Glen inside the spectacular heart and guts of the iconic venue.

As part of a new digital collaboration produced in the Intel Broadcast Studios, Nooks & Crannies is a unique live music series celebrating iconic architecture and artistic expression in unexpected and spectacular spaces inside Sydney Opera House.

Written during his time just across the way in The Rocks, ‘Stay The Road’ from 2015 release ‘Didn’t He Ramble’ feels right at home as the perfect ode to the hidden acoustic ceiling inside and above the iconic Concert Hall stage.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Oops, never posted the picture of my tattoo....but it's to come! I have to get another picture of it...the one I have is right after it was completed (took 1.5 hours) and it doesn't look as nice as a healed picture.

But I'm obsessed. With Glen, and the tat :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Time to revive this thread
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Glen's great but the last show I saw was just too mellow. It felt like 90 degrees in the balcony though so that may have been it.

Falling Slowly duet at Taormina will be spectacular.
    edited March 2019
    His new single is out... It's okay. I really like the last third of it, when it picks up and gets a lot more interesting and unique (and a tiny bit reminiscent of that nice song at the very end of Gladiator, with the female vocals) ... the first two-thirds is pretty and slow and a little bit boring TBH, but nice sounding as usual.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    NEW US TOUR DATES!!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    Anyone have the spotify code for Minneapolis they can PM me? We need a Glen Show!!  Thanks.
  • Mikeo said:
    Anyone have the spotify code for Minneapolis they can PM me? We need a Glen Show!!  Thanks.
    Did you get a code?  I can’t find one anywhere...
  • Given2FlyGiven2Fly Seattle Posts: 167
    edited March 2019
    Got Seattle.. yay
    Post edited by Given2Fly on
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Given2Fly said:
    Looking for a Seattle code if anybody has one :anguished:
    Oh man! On the week I happen to be in Seattle before the EV show no less!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    There's a really cool session from Paste Studios online now.

https://youtu.be/qrgtd6h2hxw

1. I'll Be You, Be Me 3:31
    2. Fool's Game 15:00
    3. Race to the Bottom 28:51
    4. Don't Settle 40:35

Irish singer/songwriter Glen Hansard stopped by the Paste Studio this week to perform songs from his fourth solo album This Wild Willing, out on April 12 via ANTI- Records.

The former Frames frontman’s new album was recorded at Black Box studios in Paris and is rooted in experimentation, improvisation and spontaneous collaboration. Hansard utilized the support and influence of classically trained musicians—the Khoshravesh brothers and Dublin-based electronica artists Deasy and Dunk Murphy. In an interview between songs, the enigmatic Hansard explained that he had no clear framework mapped out for this LP:

"There are times in one’s life where you feel like you have to take something by the horns, and you have a vision and you follow it. You go after it and captain the ship from top to bottom. That’s the imagined songwriter’s lot. You have a burst of inspiration. You write it down. You basically instruct the double bass player or the piano player, and you give a reference of what kind of sound you want it to have. You go after it and the idea is that you come out the other end, and it sounds like your vision of the song. And nine times out of 10, that’s probably how it goes. But for me, whatever was going on in my life, I just had this feeling that I wanted to draw people in because I knew that I didn’t know. I knew that whatever was going to happen with this record, my vision for it was very unclear, which for me is really freeing because usually I’d be quite specific. I invited all of these people in kind of a vulnerable way. I said, ‘Just come and join me.’ I had these scraps, I had these thoughts, I had these lines, these threads. I didn’t have anything built. I knew if I had the right people beside me, I would be propelled somehow. Really operating on this idea that beauty exists outside of comfort."

Hansard performed the opening four tracks from This Wild Willing: “I’ll Be You, Be Me,” “Fool’s Game,” “Race to the Bottom” and “Don’t Settle.” Hansard puts on a hair-raising performance of “I’ll Be You, Be Me,” marked by a pulsing electronic drum beat, cooing piano, rousing synths and Hansard’s grizzled, hushed vocals. His performance of the sparse “Fool’s Game” is another highlight as it’s the kind of subtle, moving folk song that slowly sparks until you realize there’s a robust blaze crackling in the hearth of your soul.

You can catch Hansard in Pelham, Tenn. for a live taping of PBS’s Bluegrass Undergroundon March 29, and he’ll return to the states in May for tour stops in Boston, Philadelphia, New York City and Washington D.C.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/03/watch-glen-hansard-perform-in-the-paste-studio.html?utm_source=PMNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=190327

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    edited March 2019
    Post edited by PJ-Cubs on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    zzzzzzzzzz.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    No dice for Seattle because I'm out of the region and can't buy :( If anyone has an extra, I'd love to treat you to greens/beers (plus face value)!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Loving the new album.

So happy that Leave a Light made the cut I fucking love that song.
    I LOVE it. I think it's his best yet. And that is a relief - I thought his last album, while good, was worse than the previous. And then the single for this new album had me concerned. But as a full album it"s absolutely fantastic.
  • Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237

I was able to see Glen in a cave in Pelham, TN recently! It was a taping for bluegrass underground. He played 3 off his new record and even stripped down the songs sounded fantastic! I believe it was 9 songs total, but I'm not sure how long it will be when it airs in the fall. If you ever get a chance to see a show at the Caverns, you should definitely go. The acoustics are fantastic. They have a bar and bathrooms etc in the cave as well. It really was a unique and breathtaking venue!

I've been a big fan of Glen's since 2012 and I really think this new record is my favorite of his work. There are some really interesting sounds on this one. Brother's Keeper is the one that keeps getting stuck in my head. From top to bottom though its really solid.
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2019
    loving this new disc so far!!! can't wait to see him for the first time in portland

picked up the new vinyl this morning. Sounds awesome so far. 
    Post edited by May 30th on
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    The new album is certainly a different sound from his last few albums. I have enjoyed the first few listens and think it will grow even more on more with more listens. 
    Whilst I liked his last album, it was not as good as the previous 2.

Hoping he comes back to Australia soon, as he is one of my fav artists to see live
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    PJ_Soul said:
    I LOVE it. I think it's his best yet. And that is a relief - I thought his last album, while good, was worse than the previous. And then the single for this new album had me concerned. But as a full album it"s absolutely fantastic.
    This is an interesting take on it. I felt that his last two albums, while each had its own weaknesses, were far superior to this new album. I just have not been able to get into so much of it for whatever reason. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is an interesting take on it. I felt that his last two albums, while each had its own weaknesses, were far superior to this new album. I just have not been able to get into so much of it for whatever reason. 
    You know, I take a little bit of my comment back. I think Rhythm & Repose is his best album - it's just about perfect. But I like this new one better than the great Didn't He Ramble (just barely), and much more than Between Two Shores, which I think fell a bit flat. I think I like this new one because he's mixed it a up little. It sounds more modern to me, and less folksy, which I was ready for.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Going to see Glen tomorrow in Cleveland. Has anyone caught this tour? 

Thoughts?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV