Options

***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Gahhh it's gonna be so hard missing out on the Carnegie Hall show, being in NY. But flying to MI this weekend to see him there instead for my bf's birthday....and he'd kill me if I saw the NYC show first :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 630
    samjam said:

Gahhh it's gonna be so hard missing out on the Carnegie Hall show, being in NY. But flying to MI this weekend to see him there instead for my bf's birthday....and he'd kill me if I saw the NYC show first :lol:

Don't tell him! Ha!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Picked up tickets for the show at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa next Friday
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Great show at the Orpheum here in Boston last night. Springsteen is in town tonight so Jake Clemons was there as a guest. Glen sounded great. Thanks to Eddie solo tours this was my fifth time seeing him but first as the headliner. We almost weren't able to get there but so glad we did.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    I am not prepared to fully discuss what I just saw at Carnegie Hall.

All I can muster for the moment is Glen Hansard is the greatest. The absolute greatest.

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I'm so crushed I couldn't be there - canNOT wait for you to be able to discuss it!! But for now... bask in the magic however you do your thing!
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

All I can muster for the moment is Glen Hansard is the greatest. The absolute greatest.

Can't wait to see him when he is in Australia next month. He is so good live, it's not possible to put it into words.

When he supported EV on his tour of Oz, I got to see him, EV and Jake Clemons do Drive All Night - possibly the greatest thing I've ever witnessed.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Now I'm really stoked to see him in Ann Arbor Saturday evening...his show in Cincinnati last year was just incredible!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I'll do my best to describe it

He took the stage as advertised at 8:05 and played for basically 3 hours. Without a doubt the best sounding show I've ever been to.

Anyone that's ever seen him knows what kind of performer and what a powerful singer Glen is. It should come as no surprise that the marriage of Glen's talent and Carnegie Hall was utterly perfect.

Played a very similar set to last years Beacon show, however more subdued on some of the songs (Like Lowly Deserter and Winning Streak for example). Felt like he did this because of the venue.

As always amazing stories and hilarious crowd interaction.

Just Glen, and a couple of guys trading off instruments (keys, mandolin, guitars, bass) plus a 3 person string section which really made a lot of the songs feel special. Also a tape machine on a couple of tracks.

About midway through the show the guests started to come. Marketa showed up and sang Falling Slowly of course and later on with her head basically on Glens shoulder an unbelievable version of This Gift.

Glen also had John Sheahan from the Dubliners there (who was hilarious) and he played on a bunch of songs. A couple of other guests too who I can't remember the names of. One was a poet and the other one of the men that Glen sailed with from Dublin across Spain earlier in the year.

Highlights were

Marketa
    Say It to Me Now (unplugging going no mics midway)
    Stay the Road (no mics in Carnegie)
    Great story about who Renata is then forgetting the words at the start.
    Way Back..Way Back..in the way back when
    McCormacks Wall (great story)
    The Pure Imagination interlude in Star Star
    Astral Weeks (Always.) (Love that he still continues to shout out EV and PJ no matter what)

And an amazing non-acapella Auld Triangle with the last verse sung by a friend (or crew) from the tippy top of the venue. The whole crowd joining in.

Again. Just amazing.

Post edited by Daron Oshay on
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    schedule for Saturday got freed up so looking for a pair for his show Saturday in Michigan if anyone can help....thanks
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    samjam said:

OMG. I wish I'd seen this before the show. ALWAYS go to a show at Carnegie Hall if you are remotely even considering. It's the best room in the city for live music, and it's a special experience for the musicians so it in turns becomes special for the fans. I've seen so many amazing shows there.

He took the stage as advertised at 8:05 and played for basically 3 hours. Without a doubt the best sounding show I've ever been to.

Anyone that's ever seen him knows what kind of performer and what a powerful singer Glen is. It should come as no surprise that the marriage of Glen's talent and Carnegie Hall was utterly perfect.

Played a very similar set to last years Beacon show, however more subdued on some of the songs (Like Lowly Deserter and Winning Streak for example). Felt like he did this because of the venue.

Just Glen, and a couple of guys trading off instruments (keys, mandolin, guitars, bass) plus a 3 person string section which really made a lot of the songs feel special. Also a tape machine on a couple of tracks.

About midway through the show the guests started to come. Marketa showed up and sang Falling Slowly of course and later on with her head basically on Glens shoulder an unbelievable version of This Gift.

Glen also had John Sheahan from the Dubliners there (who was hilarious) and he played on a bunch of songs. A couple of other guests too who I can't remember the names of. One was a poet and the other one of the men that Glen sailed with from Dublin across Spain earlier in the year.

Highlights were

Marketa
    Astral Weeks (Always.) (Love that he still continues to shout out EV and PJ no matter what)

And an amazing non-acapella Auld Triangle with the last verse sung by a friend (or crew) from the tippy top of the venue. The whole crowd joining in.

Again. Just amazing.

Thanks for the recap, this is great! My favourite part was when he told the story of his old headmaster who was the reason he started busking in the streets. He used to get into trouble in school, he bonded over music with Frank the headmaster who told him to go off and play music, but to start in the streets, and if he didn't get anywhere in 6 months, Frank would welcome him back to school with open arms and if he didn't come back then Frank would know that he made it. When the Carnegie Hall show was booked, he invited Frank to come, so he was in the audience and Glen looked at him and said, "Well, I made it!".

The whole show just felt like a huge celebration of music and his love for Dublin and Ireland. Very cool.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044

Highlights were

Marketa

Again. Just amazing.

Great review! Glad you enjoyed it. Ive seen him several times now and he is one of the best live shows around!! Way Back... ohhhh man is that one good live!!!!!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It's always great when Marketa makes an appearance. Saw her with Glen and Ed in Philly '09 or '11..dont recall which.
    Then again a couple years ago.
    Cant wait to see him at Stubbs here in Austin in 10 days.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

samjam said:

OMG. I wish I'd seen this before the show. ALWAYS go to a show at Carnegie Hall if you are remotely even considering. It's the best room in the city for live music, and it's a special experience for the musicians so it in turns becomes special for the fans. I've seen so many amazing shows there.

Highlights were

Marketa

Again. Just amazing.

Thanks for the recap, this is great! My favourite part was when he told the story of his old headmaster who was the reason he started busking in the streets. He used to get into trouble in school, he bonded over music with Frank the headmaster who told him to go off and play music, but to start in the streets, and if he didn't get anywhere in 6 months, Frank would welcome him back to school with open arms and if he didn't come back then Frank would know that he made it. When the Carnegie Hall show was booked, he invited Frank to come, so he was in the audience and Glen looked at him and said, "Well, I made it!".

The whole show just felt like a huge celebration of music and his love for Dublin and Ireland. Very cool.
    That slipped my mind. Great moment

• Options

schedule for Saturday got freed up so looking for a pair for his show Saturday in Michigan if anyone can help....thanks

Is it sold out?
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    JH6056 said:

Is it sold out?
    pretty much....a few scattered singles available but looking for a pair together
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    The Headmaster story gives me chills - so he was in the audience? Incredible. Magic! Wish I'd been there to see/hear/feel that, can only imagine how strong the emotion in the room was!

Thanks all of you for your reviews!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    JH6056 said:

The Headmaster story gives me chills - so he was in the audience? Incredible. Magic! Wish I'd been there to see/hear/feel that, can only imagine how strong the emotion in the room was!

Thanks all of you for your reviews!

The story ended with "and he's in the third row" and he pointed at him

Here is setlist and some videos

Although 99.9% sure no Revelate

http://www.orderinthesound.com/glen-solo-gigs/glen-dates-2016/14-september-2016-new-york-ny-carnegie-hall
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 630
    My video of Falling Slowly from Carneige Hall.

https://youtu.be/oPUVkUduOwo
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor...
    TONIGHT!!!!!
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    How was it Derbydave? Did you catch Colm opening the show?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    JH6056 said:

Really good show...
    Glen sounded better than ever.
    he closed with Song Of Good Hope,
    probably my favorite song Glen sings!!!

and YES we did see Colm's opening set...
    he was just Incredible!!

Post edited by derbydave on

• Options
    derbydave said:

JH6056 said:

Really good show...

he was just Incredible!!

Great show indeed, and great meeting you! Glen live is always a treat. Song of Good Hope is my favorite, as well--actually having a tattoo artist draw up something inspired by it as we speak (er, type)!

I thought the venue's sound wasn't great, which was a bummer. But, per usual, Glen's voice was magical and his stories were equally as wonderful.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam said:

derbydave said:

JH6056 said:

Really good show...

he was just Incredible!!

Great show indeed, and great meeting you! Glen live is always a treat. Song of Good Hope is my favorite, as well--actually having a tattoo artist draw up something inspired by it as we speak (er, type)!

I thought the venue's sound wasn't great, which was a bummer. But, per usual, Glen's voice was magical and his stories were equally as wonderful.
    It was GREAT meeting you and your boyfriend...
    what an INCREDIBLE weekend!!
    We saw Lewis Black at the same venue on Friday night...
    and had a BLAST watching the Michigan game at HopCat before the Glen show!
    This was my 7th GH show...
    sure wish I could see him a few more times on this tour!
    Loved the tour poster this year as well:

• Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    We were at the vic last night for Glen...Great show this tour...some of the songs are changed up due to not having a drummer. ..and no horn section . Makes it a little more intimate and maybe a stronger connection with the audience. .if that is possible.

The stories this guy tells...the jokes...so great and funny...he talked for about 5 minutes about a love song he wrote to a dog...and had the whole crowd in his hands. He's got so many songs and wonderful stories...and musings about life....that he's willing to share openly with you...almost as if we were going to find our way though this show together...and make it through whatever you are going through together. ......I know that sounds weird.....but if you have been..you might know what I'm talking about....

We were right up front...met alot of great people....going again tonight...
  • Options
    What time did he go on? Me & my wife are going tonight
    "Many people don't know what their life is worth. I do....70 Grand!"
  • Options
    If I figure out how to get a picture up on here, will post the Glen inspired tattoo I got last night! :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam said:

If I figure out how to get a picture up on here, will post the Glen inspired tattoo I got last night! :)

Upload your picture to Photobucket...
    copy the "direct" link...
    click on the picture button on the toolbar at the top of the comment box...
    paste the link in the pop up box and click OK
    Hope that helps!!

• Options
    I'm seeing Glen tonight in Tulsa!
  • Options
    Enjoy Rival, it's gonna be so good!