Options

today's music pales in comparison...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Arcade Fire is the only now band that I like.
    Rock has gone soft.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    I gave the black keys an honest listen yesterday. not all that impressed. they may have reached savoy brown type status in the 70's. btw, I'd take savoy brown over them :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    imalive wrote:
    I gave the black keys an honest listen yesterday. not all that impressed. they may have reached savoy brown type status in the 70's. btw, I'd take savoy brown over them :shock:

Yeah, same here....I like them well enough, but I don't think they're great. Seen them in concert and it wasn't awful, but it was still one of the worst shows I've seen. Played for barely over an hour and didn't really try to engage the crowd whatsoever.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Rock has gone soft.

I disagree. There are plenty of bands out there who can melt faces with the best of them: Pearl Jam, Drive-By Truckers, The Hold Steady, Heartless Bastards, The Tragically Hip, The Black Keys, Wintersleep, Social Distortion, The Arkells, and the recently reunited Headstones...just to name a few. Rock n' roll is alive and well, my friend. You're just not looking in the right places.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Rock has gone soft.

I disagree. There are plenty of bands out there who can melt faces with the best of them: Pearl Jam, Drive-By Truckers, The Hold Steady, Heartless Bastards, The Tragically Hip, The Black Keys, Wintersleep, Social Distortion, The Arkells, and the recently reunited Headstones...just to name a few. Rock n' roll is alive and well, my friend. You're just not looking in the right places.

exactly what i was thinking. if you poke around enough, you'll find some amazing bands out there.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Rock has gone soft.

I love Social Distortion....they were formed in 1978

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Rock has gone soft.

I give a loud "FUCK YES" for mentioning DBT, Heartless Bastards, and The Hold Steady.

All three of those bands are fucking awesome.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    kjw818kjw818 Posts: 96
    Wilco!
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Rock has gone soft.

I disagree with the soft rock comment....but isn't Arcade Fire a part of that 'problem'?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    kjw818 wrote:
    Wilco!

YES! Easily one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Can't believe I forgot to mention them in my earlier post. I should be ashamed of myself.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    These threads pop up all the time. I always say the same bands in defense and many are similar to the ones others have said.

I think there is a lot of great music being made. Music now is not forced down your throat. If you want it you have to go find it. Not like int he 60's/70's when the radio played a lot of good music. Not like in the 90's when you put on MTV to hear the new pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chaines, Smashing pumpkins etc

Now if you want the goods you have to look for it a little more. Its there
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Rock has gone soft.

I disagree with the soft rock comment....but isn't Arcade Fire a part of that 'problem'?

Yes but they are great artists, the rest suck.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Have to agree with you. I grew up listening to that generation of bands and maybe I am an old fart, but most of the new stuff just doesn't measure up. I keep trying though.

True. The old bands were the best, Pearl Jam included in this lot.
  • Options
    I have to agree that you aren't all looking in the right places, maybe the popular stuff isn't as good as it once was but if you look for it there's some great stuff out there. And the invention of the internet means that we can all also have access to great music by unsigned groups from all across the world, I think that's pretty amazing
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    True what you say about the internet. I get to hear music from lots of bands I otherwise wouldn't mainly because they're not played on the stupid radio and I cant afford to buy cds of bands I know nothing about.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    bands like pink floyd, zeppelin, hendrix, yes, jethro tull, rush, the who, the beatles, etc. just don't exist today...with maybe a very few exceptions.

these bands, and so many others, put out consistently great music and they did it for a long period of time. most of today's bands put out an album or two or three and fade into oblivion. is anyone going to be listening to death cab for cutie 30 years from now? somehow, I doubt it.

^^^^ my original post.

I'm not saying there's not some decent music out there but, more often than not, these bands are here today, gone tomorrow.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    but again surely in a lot of cases that's related to popularity and not ability
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    to bump a thread from 6 years ago......

gregg allman? allman bros band?

who the fuck, today, can hold a candle to that band?

no one.

https://youtu.be/FUvxRjYqjEQ

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13