Options

Lenny Kravitz

SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
edited January 2012 in Other Music
This was announced today:
Lenny Kravitz to rock NYC - for free

If you'll be in New York on August 31, get ready: Lenny Kravitz will be in town putting on a free concert (register for tickets at SamsungSummerKrush2011.com).

As part of Samsung AT&T's Summer Krush 2011 concert series, Kravitz is headlining the New York event. The rocker's highly anticipated album "Black and White America" drops the day before his performance on August 30.

Other stops include Coldplay on August 3 in Los Angeles, The Band Perry on August 8, and Luke Bryan in Nashville today, July 20.

And if you miss Kravitz in NY, don't sweat it - he's also heading on a world tour this fall.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/20 ... -for-free/

However, there seems to be a need to enter in a promo code. Any ideas where one might get this?

*edited to change title!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nevermind, his FB page says tickets won't be available till mid-August.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    still a good tip though :D

lenny fucking rocks
  • Options
    Tickets up now! Ignore the promo code field. Just got a pair!

http://www.samsungsummerkrush2011.com/l ... New%20York
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Damn!! 6 days after I leave for school, would have been awesome to get tickets to! Lenny is a badass and a really talented musician! Have fun and let us know how the show goes!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Damn!! 6 days after I leave for school, would have been awesome to get tickets to! Lenny is a badass and a really talented musician! Have fun and let us know how the show goes!

Aw, that's too bad. I sure will let people know how it goes. And for others still trying, here's a code from Lenny's facebook page in case you do end up needing a code: Krush2011

The ticket page is a bit of a mess, but it says there will be limited amount of tickets released each day until 8/30 so no harm trying. I got mine this morning a little after 10am EDT in case that might help. They weren't available before that.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I've always enjoyed Lenny. The guy can rock, that's for sure. Should be a good time for all involved.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    i've raved about his cd "5" before but if you don't have that cd...hunt it down

his new cd drops next week!!
    ########################################################################
    Lenny Kravitz's new track Black and White America was inspired by American racists who threatened to kill Barack Obama if he became U.S. President.

The Are You Gonna Go My Way singer was appalled by one TV documentary he saw shortly after Obama announced his intention to run for the White House and it brought up all kinds of mixed emotions about his own mixed-race upbringing.

Appearing on late night U.S. talk show Tavis Smiley, he explains, "There was a group of people somewhere in Middle America saying that this was not America to them and that this was absolutely disgusting, and what they were gonna do to make sure it doesn't happen, down to death.

"(They said), 'If the black man wins, we're gonna riot, we're gonna make sure he gets killed and this is a travesty... We all know this (racism) exists but to hear it like this, to hear it so strong in this day and age, it kind of shocked me for a second.

"That's what inspired the song, and then I started going into my whole past with my parents and what they went through. They got married in 1963 and they were in New York City... and they had hard times - walking down the street, comments, people spitting, yelling."

And the rocker admits the fact that his black mother played half of an inter-racial couple on TV show The Jeffersons didn't help matters: "That was 1975 and that was the inter-racial kiss on primetime television... and I remember the mail that she used to get back then. It was really bad, really bad."
  • Options
    Lenny TOTALLY kicked ass tonight! I'm just a casual fan, have seen him twice and it gets better each time. He's one super cool dude.

Sucked that the whole line to get it was a colossal clusterfuck plus if they said Samsung/AT&T one more time I was about to shove one of those giveaways down somebody's throat.

That being said, still so glad we stuck it out, got in and had a blast! Lenny rocks go see him if you can.
  • Options
    http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2011/09/01 ... cret-show/

not a clip from the show boy i dig this nugget
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmENMZFUU_0&ob=av2n
    It Ain't Over Til It's Over
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    so, black and white america . . . thoughts?

i think it's a pretty good lenny record - certainly better than a lot of what he's done this century. the first two songs are pretty awesome, and i was very excited for the rest of the record, but i think it peaks early...
  • Options
    dpmay wrote:
    so, black and white america . . . thoughts?

i think it's a pretty good lenny record - certainly better than a lot of what he's done this century. the first two songs are pretty awesome, and i was very excited for the rest of the record, but i think it peaks early...

I like it a lot! I'm a casual Lenny fan but have seen him twice and was blown away by the NYC show I was at. I don't remember him having such a big ensemble of musicians on the stage with him 2 years ago. They were totally jamming at points. Still like the old stuff but the new stuff seems more funky. Haven't listened to it much since the concert but I plan to put it back on heavy rotation, probably after the upcoming Foo Fighters shows :D

I should probably change the thread title since Lenny deserves a full thread in my opinion!
  • Options
    Just saw this:

Lenny Kravitz w/ very special guest Raphael Saadiq
    Radio City Music Hall
    New York, NY
    Sat, 01/28/12
    08:00 PM

93.9 The River's Winter Icebreaker with Lenny Kravitz, Raphael Saadiq
    The Fillmore Detroit
    Detroit, MI
    Mon, 01/30/12
    06:30 PM

The Chicago Theatre
    Chicago, IL
    Tue, 01/31/12
    07:30 PM

Tickets go onsale 10am local time Friday 12/23. Presale 12/23 if you have a code
  • Options
    Selling 2 tickets to this Saturday's Radio City show: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=181989
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Selling 2 tickets to this Saturday's Radio City show: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=181989
    $90 for 2 tickets / $50 for 1, way below face :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Wow, tonight's Radio City show was fantastic! Raphael Saadiq was pretty darn awesome too. If you're thinking about it, GO!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Fly Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJf6BJugiw0
    Let Love Rule: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQCXRpptV8w

Too bad the crowd couldn't join in PJ style, not sure why, it's not like the lyrics were that difficult to repeat :lol::lol:

Hoping more good quality videos emerge!
  • Options
    A+++
    Lenny Kravitz Tribute to Prince - 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zQcsuOnJc

• Options
    and that lead to this
    prince is truly diggin & groovin on this
    Lenny Kravitz & Prince American Woman LIVE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shzcdCVdgOc

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I am DYING for Mama Said to be reissued on vinyl. The originals are going for $100 for acceptable condition, and I am actually willing to spend that on this album, but I'd much rather not! I am not quite sure how long to wait before folding and buying OG off discogs. I don't suppose anyone had heard rumours as far as his reissue plans go?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    There was an expanded edition of Mama Said that came out on cd about 4 or 5 years ago, but I haven't heard anything else about any Lenny reissues.

It's such a great album! Always On The Run is still one of my favourite songs, it pops up on random on my phone all the time. The 7" single is also the only Lenny vinyl I still own.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The remastered Mama Said CD is not close to the original 91 version. The new one is WAY compressed. Great album, tracks 1-4 are all incredible.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I hope when he decides to reissue it he considers sound quality more than he did for that CD.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    I got a PopMarket email about Lenny's vinyl reissues the other day, and I just saw this on AntiMusic:

"Lenny Kravitz has announced that he will launch a vinyl reissue series with the re-release of his first five albums in sync with the opening of a US tour next month.

On September 21, the rocker will present 1991's "Mama Said", 1993's "Are You Gonna Go My Way", 1995's "Circus", and 1998's "5" on 2LP 180-gram black vinyl - in addition to individualized limited-edition, color variants - on the same day he kicks off US shows in Atlanta, GA in support of his forthcoming new record, "Raise Vibration."

As part of its 30th anniversary, Kravitz's 1989 debut, "Let Love Rule", will follow on November 30, with all of the records except "Mama Said" set to feature non-album tracks, with many of them appearing on vinyl for the very first time.

No two color-variants are the same: "Let Love Rule" is 50/50 semi-transparent brown and yellow; "Mama Said" is marbled white and gray; "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is transparent red and transparent purple; "Circus" is solid white and transparent clear; and, "5" is solid orange and solid white"

Let Love Rule includes Blues For Sister Someone, Empty Hands, and Flower Child as bonus tracks

Mama Said is being released for the first time with better fidelity as a double LP. 

Are You Gonna Go My Way is celebrating its 25th anniversary and includes 8 bonus tracks as a second, 37-minute LP. 

Circus includes 3 bonus tracks including “Another Life” from the album’s Japanese release, and two tracks previously available only on a limited edition 10”.

5 will be released for the first time on double vinyl. The original LP was 13 tracks, but this will be the 15 track edition including American Woman and the non-LP B-side Without You.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    That's good news. Mama Said is a brilliant album!! Fields of Joy is one of my favourite songs of all time and the guitar solo by Slash in that is as good as it gets!
    Haven't listened to as much of his new stuff, but have always enjoyed his music and he is such a cool dude. His first 4 albums were stellar

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    this belongs here

Lenny Kravitz - Believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spPWnh3JvZ0
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    goldrush said:
    I got a PopMarket email about Lenny's vinyl reissues the other day, and I just saw this on AntiMusic:

"Lenny Kravitz has announced that he will launch a vinyl reissue series with the re-release of his first five albums in sync with the opening of a US tour next month.

On September 21, the rocker will present 1991's "Mama Said", 1993's "Are You Gonna Go My Way", 1995's "Circus", and 1998's "5" on 2LP 180-gram black vinyl - in addition to individualized limited-edition, color variants - on the same day he kicks off US shows in Atlanta, GA in support of his forthcoming new record, "Raise Vibration."

As part of its 30th anniversary, Kravitz's 1989 debut, "Let Love Rule", will follow on November 30, with all of the records except "Mama Said" set to feature non-album tracks, with many of them appearing on vinyl for the very first time.

No two color-variants are the same: "Let Love Rule" is 50/50 semi-transparent brown and yellow; "Mama Said" is marbled white and gray; "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is transparent red and transparent purple; "Circus" is solid white and transparent clear; and, "5" is solid orange and solid white"

Let Love Rule includes Blues For Sister Someone, Empty Hands, and Flower Child as bonus tracks

Mama Said is being released for the first time with better fidelity as a double LP. 

Are You Gonna Go My Way is celebrating its 25th anniversary and includes 8 bonus tracks as a second, 37-minute LP. 

Circus includes 3 bonus tracks including “Another Life” from the album’s Japanese release, and two tracks previously available only on a limited edition 10”.

5 will be released for the first time on double vinyl. The original LP was 13 tracks, but this will be the 15 track edition including American Woman and the non-LP B-side Without You.
    This is happening because I just bought an original Mama Said for way more money. You're welcome. ;)
    (Glad I did though - I have no interest in one that is extended to 2 LPs)

Stoked to get Are You Gonna Go My Way.
  • Options

I love Mama Said, and out of all of the coloured versions, I think it looks the best too.

So tempted...

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    goldrush said:

I love Mama Said, and out of all of the coloured versions, I think it looks the best too.

So tempted...
    Where is that available?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    goldrush said:

So tempted...
    Where is that available?
    They’re all available here, $38.98 each
    https://us.udiscovermusic.com/artists.html?aec_artist_option=5041

(Tim Rogers)