Backspacer vs Avocado

1235»

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Someone on this thread needs to relax and respect other's opinions.

The Pearl Jam album just doesn't do it for me. I've never understood the love for Severed Hand either. Now someone please rip me a new asshole.

Not a huge fan of it either. Sure it rocks and is cool enough, but I've never been a big fan of rehashes. I feel it leans alot on the riff from Porch a bit. Unthought Known and Supersonic(and most of Tool's 10,000 Days) fall into that category as well.
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    butte1 wrote:

You asked me to explain why I felt the way I did, and I'm pretty sure we all have our own "rules" and "reasonings" for the things we do and feel. No one said you had to go along with it. Just like I don't have to go along with the fringe idea that Bu$hleaguer is a better song than Supersonic. As I've said before, to each their own.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not debating your right to like or dislike Bushleaguer as a song. I don't like it all that much, either, especially the studio version.

I'm just saying, it's a song.

It's a good song. Or it's a terrible song. Whatever. But it's a song.

I can't even believe this is a topic of argument. It's just a fact. You don't get to have opinions about facts. You can't try to tell me 2 + 2 is 5 and then say, "to each his own" when every mathematician on earth tells you it's four.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • blorpblorp Posts: 34
    In my opinion, Backspacer, Self-Titled, Binaural and Riot Act are all Tied for worst PJ album...

Not to say I don't enjoy a few songs here or there.
    My rankings for PJ albums are as follows (the more * the better, with ***** being a perfect album)

TEN ****
    VS ****
    Vitalogy ***
    No Code***
    YIELD****
    Binaural**
    Riot Act**
    Self-Titled**
    BackSpacer**

Their first 5 albums are pretty solid (though Vitalogy could've used a little more material and less filler/wierdness)
    after Yield they seemed to drop off the wagon... Not to be a hater or anything.. Some songs from each later album are quite good...and others miss the mark by a long shot

Hi-lights from Binaural on are: Nothing as it seems, save you, Life wasted, Come Back, Got Some etc.
    Low-lights include: Evacuation, you are, gone, unemployable, johnny guitar, plus many, many more

Again, not to be a hater but their later albums are almost split 50/50 in terms of hi-lights and lowlights... a percentage that was way lower during the first decade

just sayin'
  • hell_man_madehell_man_made Toronto Posts: 318
    definitely avocado...bs is too short and not as rockin'
    Vancouver 1998, Seattle 2000, Seattle 2002, Vancouver 2003, Vancouver 2005, The Gorge 2006, Seattle 2 2009, Vancouver 2009, Ridgefield/Portland 2009, PJ20, Saskatoon 2011, Vancouver 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Chicago/Wrigley August 2016

Ed: Seattle 1 & 2 2011, Bridge School 2011
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Put me down for BS but that could change in the future if the past is any indication.
  • butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    butte1 wrote:

You asked me to explain why I felt the way I did, and I'm pretty sure we all have our own "rules" and "reasonings" for the things we do and feel. No one said you had to go along with it. Just like I don't have to go along with the fringe idea that Bu$hleaguer is a better song than Supersonic. As I've said before, to each their own.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not debating your right to like or dislike Bushleaguer as a song. I don't like it all that much, either, especially the studio version.

I'm just saying, it's a song.

It's a good song. Or it's a terrible song. Whatever. But it's a song.

I can't even believe this is a topic of argument. It's just a fact. You don't get to have opinions about facts. You can't try to tell me 2 + 2 is 5 and then say, "to each his own" when every mathematician on earth tells you it's four.

Talking into a microphone while music plays behind you doesn't make something a song...... sort of like Henry Rollins spoken word albums are not songs in my opinion. Art yes, songs no

Also, please remember facts re only facts until they are disproven (is that a word, well, if not it is today :lol: ). Remember all the "scientists" used to say the world was flat too ;)
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Avacodo by a mile for me
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    I'd probably say Avocado.

I've been listening to Backspacer on my way to and from work over the last week although I like it, Backspacer kicks in for me at about track 6 whereas Avocado kicks in almost immediately.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Avocado
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I love avocado, so much emotion and the songs have lots of meaning. And it just rocks, one of my favorite albums.

Backspacer lacks the emotion, and the heaviness of avocado, but without the comparison it's a good album. I feel like they are going for a quick all-rounder rock and roll album, and they have done a good job,

BUT, avocado is just the best god damn thing ever,
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    I love avocado, so much emotion and the songs have lots of meaning. And it just rocks, one of my favorite albums.

Backspacer lacks the emotion, and the heaviness of avocado, but without the comparison it's a good album. I feel like they are going for a quick all-rounder rock and roll album, and they have done a good job,

BUT, avocado is just the best god damn thing ever,
    That's it! I am going to dust off me some Avocado and give it a good listen to see how it stacks up after not listening to it in a year or so. Stay tuned.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    MayDay10 wrote:
    im a big Backspacer fan. Avocado is my 'least favorite' PJ album.

Same here. After listening to Avocado more recently I like it a lot more than I used to..and don't think its a bad album but its easily my least favorite PJ album. Backspacer is probably somewhere in the middle for me and I love Just Breathe, The End, Unthought Known, Amongst the Waves, Force of Nature. Some of PJ's best songs IMO.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I love both albums.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    TMudrick wrote:
    Avacado just really isnt that great... As other people have said, not one song on their has a lasting impression. It was almost like an excuse to make an album so they could go out and rock some live shows. Backspacer all the way for me, avacado is my least favorite PJ disc.

The Avacado rock songs like Life Wasted are just kindve boring to me. Life Wasted is one of my least favorite PJ songs. I think the album picks up quite a bit in the second half though. Come Back, Inside Job, Parachutes, Marker are all great songs and amongst my favorites!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    Better Dan wrote:
    TMudrick wrote:
    Avacado just really isnt that great... As other people have said, not one song on their has a lasting impression. It was almost like an excuse to make an album so they could go out and rock some live shows. Backspacer all the way for me, avacado is my least favorite PJ disc.

The Avacado rock songs like Life Wasted are just kindve boring to me. Life Wasted is one of my least favorite PJ songs. I think the album picks up quite a bit in the second half though. Come Back, Inside Job, Parachutes, Marker are all great songs and amongst my favorites!
    if you have this album on vinyl, the second wax disc is one of my favorites to spin ever. only to be topped by side d of lost dogs (which are the first 6 songs of the second cd of that album)
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I agree with quite a few of the different points people were making in the first couple of pages:

I think Backspacer works great 'live', and the studio versions have all been outstripped by live versions (apart from imo Force of Nature - where I haven't heard a live version that competes with the studio cut.)

Backspacer can work really well when it gets you at a particular time in your life - for me, when I was at a low point, and hearing the energy and positivity running through it really helped lift me out of it. (It doesn't sound nearly so powerful now that I'm on the level again) - although the live version of the album we did on this board, Mixed Metaphor, still has a powerful effect on me - and I listen to that over the studio album almost every time.

Self Titled hasn't had the Staying Power I associate with Pearl Jam albums - I lost interest after a year or so - which was unusual - but for me I think this is because the songs didn't seem as 'personal' as usual.

However much I like Backspacer, and appreciate its impact on me when I was down, I do agree that in the cold light of day, some of the lyrics can grate. However, Got Some is the high point of Backspacer for me, and like the rest of the album I find the direct simplicity of the message, and the lyrics refreshing.

So after nearly a couple of years now I would probably say I prefer Backspacer to Avocado - though I only really listen to the live version, so I'm not sure if that really counts!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984

The Pearl Jam album just doesn't do it for me. I've never understood the love for Severed Hand either. Now someone please rip me a new asshole.

You don't like Severed Hand? ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED????
    :lol:

(asshole ripped enough?)

I found the self titled album to be very hit-and-miss to be honest, just like everything post-Yield. I backed it in this thread simply because it has more songs I like than Backspacer... though that's a small number. Binaural, Riot Act, Pearl Jam, and Backspacer all have songs I dislike, and songs I absolutely love. I freely admit I cannot stand Backspacer, yet I love Force of Nature and think it's a brilliant song. I can do without 3/4 of the self titled album, yet the songs I do like (including Severed Hand - we'll agree to disagree about that haha), I REALLY like.

I do however miss the Ten-Yield era of Pearl Jam, when I could count the total number of songs I disliked on one hand, as opposed to the Binaural-Backspacer era when I can count more songs than that on each album (dislike alone maybe too limiting... either dislike or indifferent to... as opposed to the Ten-Yield era when I pretty much loved everything they did).
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    DewieCox wrote:

Not a huge fan of it either. Sure it rocks and is cool enough, but I've never been a big fan of rehashes. I feel it leans alot on the riff from Porch a bit. Unthought Known and Supersonic(and most of Tool's 10,000 Days) fall into that category as well.

I have to admit, the first time I heard Unthought Known the first thing that popped into my head was "Why did they re-record Wishlist?"
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Falling DownFalling Down Posts: 723
    Ok let's do a one on one contest:
    1: Life Wasted vs Gonna See My Friend: tie
    2: WWS vs Got Some: Avocado slightly
    3: Comatose vs The Fixer: Avocado
    4: Severed Hand vs Johnny Guitar: gotta like Johnny, so Backspacer
    5: Marker in the Sand vs Just Breathe: Backspacer
    6: Parachutes vs Amongst the Waves: Backspacer
    7: Unemployable vs Unthought Known: Backspacer
    8: Big Wave vs Supersonic: Backspacer
    9: Gone vs Speed of Sound: Tie
    10: Army Reserve (Wasted Reprise doesn't count) vs Force of Nature: Backspacer
    11: Come Back vs The End: Tie
    12: Inside Job vs...: Avocado (Inside Job is a great song...)

Backspacer wins

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Ok let's do a one on one contest:
    1: Life Wasted vs Gonna See My Friend: tie
    2: WWS vs Got Some: Avocado slightly
    3: Comatose vs The Fixer: Avocado
    4: Severed Hand vs Johnny Guitar: gotta like Johnny, so Backspacer
    5: Marker in the Sand vs Just Breathe: Backspacer
    6: Parachutes vs Amongst the Waves: Backspacer
    7: Unemployable vs Unthought Known: Backspacer
    8: Big Wave vs Supersonic: Backspacer
    9: Gone vs Speed of Sound: Tie
    10: Army Reserve (Wasted Reprise doesn't count) vs Force of Nature: Backspacer
    11: Come Back vs The End: Tie
    12: Inside Job vs...: Avocado (Inside Job is a great song...)

Backspacer wins
    But you left out the best song on Avocado! What do you mean it doesn't count?