Options

Backspacer vs Avocado

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    DewieCox wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    yep backspacer is awesome

i like Advocado - it contains one of my fave Pj moments - top 3 song even.

But BS is just so consistant whereas advocado wasnt quite as cohesive.

I will agree that BS is probably their most consistent album. It's consistently average.

Every other album seemingly has so much more thought out into the music and arrangements.

every one has their view I guess, i enjoy it, and to me thats all that is important.

Worrying for a few though Backspacer is an album they are immensely proud of. Mike was only saying the other day on facebook how its his favourite.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Suziemay wrote:
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Avocado, hands down. I cannot see how Pearl Jam fans think that Backspacer is better! I just cant, Im sorry.

There's this thing called taste, and another thing called opinions. Some people like vanilla ice cream, some people prefer chocolate.

I love vanilla ice cream. I'm sorry but folks who prefer chocolate need to get their tastebuds checked. :lol::lol::lol: Sorry, I could not resist :mrgreen:

Back to the original post.. I prefer Avocado. Lyrics more thoughtful and more nuances to the songs. I agree with another poster about Just Breathe and The End. Can't stand either one, they are up there with Last Kiss in terms of songs I'd prefer not to hear at a concert and yet I've heard them so many times that I can probably sing them in my sleep :shock:

I will say the one thing I do appreciate about Backspacer is when the boys sing The Fixer and it comes to the part where it goes "yea yea yea", I love seeing Mike, Jeff, Ed and Stone all lined up at the microphones.

I tend to gravitate more toward singer/songwriter stuff these days. I'm kind of over the part of my life where everything just has to RAWK!

Some of my favorite moments at a PJ show are when Ed does a solo pre-set, or the occasions when he'll come out alone before an encore and play a cover by himself.

So, Just Breathe and The End are two of my favorite songs on any album. They're kind of right in my wheelhouse at this point in my life.

Speed of Sound, too ... though, naturally, I tend to lean toward the demo version.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Love the band obviously.... But, I can't stand ANYTHING off Backspacer. That album sucks. Avacado is pretty good. Still somewhere near the bottom for me though. I hope they are done promoting Backspacer this upcoming tour. Need to make some room for some older stuff that doesn't get played much these days. Also, would like to hear some stuff off the new album for sure. Of The Earth!! That song is fucking awesome.
  • Options
    Love the band obviously.... But, I can't stand ANYTHING off Backspacer. That album sucks.

Wow. That just floors me. In the end, Pearl Jam is Pearl Jam, and every Pearl Jam album has merit. To me, at least.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    boyo79 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I would expect the lyrics from UK to be written by Brandon Boyd of Incubus.....just generic as it gets.

You're spot on there. Everytime I hear the 'gems and rhinestones' bit I always think of Incubus' "Diamonds And Coals"

I think you guys are getting too fixated on three words. It's just a poetic way of saying "stars."
    I was thinking the same thing. Oh literal fans.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Love the band obviously.... But, I can't stand ANYTHING off Backspacer. That album sucks.

Wow. That just floors me. In the end, Pearl Jam is Pearl Jam, and every Pearl Jam album has merit. To me, at least.

Just my opinion. I can see why the females like it for sure. And I don't judge anyone for liking BS. Just can't stand the ENTIRE album...
  • Options
    White DiscussionWhite Discussion Melissa Texas Posts: 2,812
    Love Avocado so it wins for me :D
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:
    I love vanilla ice cream. I'm sorry but folks who prefer chocolate need to get their tastebuds checked. :lol::lol::lol: Sorry, I could not resist :mrgreen:

Back to the original post.. I prefer Avocado. Lyrics more thoughtful and more nuances to the songs. I agree with another poster about Just Breathe and The End. Can't stand either one, they are up there with Last Kiss in terms of songs I'd prefer not to hear at a concert and yet I've heard them so many times that I can probably sing them in my sleep :shock:

I will say the one thing I do appreciate about Backspacer is when the boys sing The Fixer and it comes to the part where it goes "yea yea yea", I love seeing Mike, Jeff, Ed and Stone all lined up at the microphones.

I tend to gravitate more toward singer/songwriter stuff these days. I'm kind of over the part of my life where everything just has to RAWK!

Some of my favorite moments at a PJ show are when Ed does a solo pre-set, or the occasions when he'll come out alone before an encore and play a cover by himself.

So, Just Breathe and The End are two of my favorite songs on any album. They're kind of right in my wheelhouse at this point in my life.

Speed of Sound, too ... though, naturally, I tend to lean toward the demo version.

Uh-oh, I think this means we can't be friends :shock: Like you said, matter of taste. I do appreciate slower, more lyrical songs from time to time, for some reason Just Breathe and The End don't do it for me. I LOVE Long Road, and bawl everytime I hear Black. And acoustic Everlong by the Foo (but I know, wrong board).

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    I would have to vote Avocado. It was a return to rock for PJ to me. After Riot Act(which I am not a hater, but is my least favorite album) this is exactly what I was hoping for from the fellas.

LIfe Wasted, WWS, Severed Hand(the best track on the album and INCREDIBLE live), Unemployable, Inside Job, Comatose, Marker, Big Wave Gone. The only track I am not interested in is Parachutes(and Im a big Beatles fan too!!). This is one of their heaviest records. I have always preferred the boys pissed off(great time for a VS. reference) and with all of the external pressures in the world at the time, this record pissed them off....
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Self Titled wins by a mile for me. Just fits me better than Backspacer. To each his own. :D
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,422
    As I have in about 14 other "Backspacer vs. Avocado" threads, I vote for Avocado.

I completely agree with OP's assessment of Avocado. It sounds more like a Pearl Jam album than anything else from the 00's.

I still Backspacer is pretty good. I went back and listened to it after some time away and really enjoyed it. But it doesn't stack up to Avocado. The songs don't really get to breathe enough.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
    Just too much EV for me on this album and not enough Pearl Jam.

really true..

but i thing song's like Come Back or Gone are the beginning of all this..

i can't choose, they are too differents and i love them both, sorry :)
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Avacado by a landslide,Backspacer fell way behind Binaural for my least fav album.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    I think the two albums frame the times they were recorded. Avocado was during the Bush administration, a lot of angsty anti-war sentiment scattered throughout the album both directly and indirectly. The second half of this album really drags it down from the five star potential of the first half. Backspacer was written after Into the Wild and with the backdrop of a new era of "hope" and "change." So some of that positivity rubbed off on the album. It benefits and suffers from its averageness. Good songs are scattered across the album. If I were to put the albums head to head, song by song Avocado wins a close one.

My ranking of the songs:
    Marker in the Sand
    Comatose
    Unthought Known
    Force of Nature
    Severed Hand
    Got Some
    World Wide Suicide
    Life Wasted
    The Fixer
    Army Reserve
    Gonna See My Friend
    Inside Job
    Amongst The Waves
    Johnny Guitar
    Just Breathe
    Come Back
    Big Wave
    Supersonic
    Gone
    The End
    Speed of Sound
    Parachutes
    Unemployable
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    As I have in about 14 other "Backspacer vs. Avocado" threads, I vote for Avocado.

I completely agree with OP's assessment of Avocado. It sounds more like a Pearl Jam album than anything else from the 00's.

I still Backspacer is pretty good. I went back and listened to it after some time away and really enjoyed it. But it doesn't stack up to Avocado. The songs don't really get to breathe enough.

agreed
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited July 2011
    Backspacer easily.

I like it because it's optimistic and upbeat. It may not be as interesting as Avocado, but I'm tired of the debbie downer war songs.. Backspacer just fits into my life better. I can relate to it better and the songs are funner to sing and dance to.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,422
    It really amazes me that people don't like Inside Job. I think it's one of the greatest songs Pearl Jam have ever made.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    It really amazes me that people don't like Inside Job. I think it's one of the greatest songs Pearl Jam have ever made.

Yep
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Agree Inside job opening up the 1st encore is a must here. Easily a top 5 PJ song for me,Mccready is god!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    I think the two albums frame the times they were recorded. Avocado was during the Bush administration, a lot of angsty anti-war sentiment scattered throughout the album both directly and indirectly. The second half of this album really drags it down from the five star potential of the first half. Backspacer was written after Into the Wild and with the backdrop of a new era of "hope" and "change." So some of that positivity rubbed off on the album. It benefits and suffers from its averageness. Good songs are scattered across the album. If I were to put the albums head to head, song by song Avocado wins a close one.

My ranking of the songs:
    Marker in the Sand
    Comatose
    Unthought Known
    Force of Nature
    Severed Hand
    Got Some
    World Wide Suicide
    Life Wasted
    The Fixer
    Army Reserve
    Gonna See My Friend
    Inside Job
    Amongst The Waves
    Johnny Guitar
    Just Breathe
    Come Back
    Big Wave
    Supersonic
    Gone
    The End
    Speed of Sound
    Parachutes
    Unemployable

I like the way yo have done this. here is how I would rank them:

My ranking of the songs:
    Unthought Known
    Force of Nature
    Just Breathe
    Unemployable
    The End
    Comatose
    Amongst The Waves
    The Fixer
    Got Some
    World Wide Suicide
    Life Wasted
    Supersonic
    Gone
    Speed of Sound
    Come Back
    Big Wave
    Inside Job
    Marker in the Sand
    Severed Hand
    Army Reserve
    Gonna See My Friend
    Parachutes
    Johnny Guitar

So interestingly for me Backspacer has my three favorite songs of the two albums but it also has my least favorite song of the two albums but Backspacer still has the edge overall
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    I dislike Avocado as a studio album (the only one I do not like), but love it live. Go figure. For me I think Backspacer is great, but at the same time it seems more like an EV solo effort holdover album, especially the second half of the record.

I always think this is sort of funny, Especially since songs like Supersonic are in the second half of teh album and there has never been a more "Stone" song than Supersonic. As soon as I heard the first riff, without even reading the cover I knew Stone had clearl written that song. Also, Amongst the Waves and Force of Nature ar eboth the second half of the album and neither are an "Eddie" song, though he may have contributed lyrcs. FON of is a Mike song all the way and ATW's is a PJ song if there ever was one. I also find Unthought Known a very PJ song and not an Eddie song. I'll give you The End and Speed of Sound but that si two out of 6 songs and Just Breathe is definitely an Eddie song but that is first half of the album..... The rest is PJ doing what they do and that is ever evolving, it's how a band stays relevant for 20+ years ;) Can't just do the same thing all the time
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    Which is better

Avocado or avacado??

Maybe that's why pj just left it titled pearl jam... Even with all their $$, and resources they couldn't get to the bottom of it's correct spelling

I'm no spelling police, but Jesus Christ you would think after 5 years we would know how to spell one of the 9 studio albums our beloved pj has put out

It's Avocado folks
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    I gotta go with Avocado. Except for Unemployable, I really enjoy everything on the album. I love how it starts off rocking out for the first 5 songs, reminds me a lot of a live setlist.

Backspacer is a really good album, but after being in my possession for almost 2 years, I've listened to it a lot less than Avocado.

There are certainly individual songs on Backspacer that I love (Unthought Known, Just Breathe, Got Some) but others that I like less over time (ATW, FON, The Fixah).
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    "Unthought Known" is one of the best songs they have ever made, which instantly gives BS some firepower, but overall I think Avocado is a better album. That album, IMO, shows off how versatile and amazing of musicians these guys really are.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:

really true..

The beginning? You realize Ed pretty much wrote every note and every word of Vitalogy, with only a few exceptions, right?

I would argue that the albums started to slip when other band members got too much control over the songs. To me, it's no coincidence that Binaural and Riot Act are generally considered the two weakest albums. I like them both, and some songs on each are fucking stellar, but I think if most of us were ranking the albums, they'd be in the bottom two.

Not enough Ed on either. Too much delegating. At least for my taste. I prefer Ed songs.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i love them both!
    danny d
  • Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    They're both great, but Backspacer remains one of my total favorite PJ albums. The self-titled took a long time to grow on me, yet I was totally into Backspacer from listen #2. (I was a bit "???" on first listen)
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:

really true..

The beginning? You realize Ed pretty much wrote every note and every word of Vitalogy, with only a few exceptions, right?

I would argue that the albums started to slip when other band members got too much control over the songs. To me, it's no coincidence that Binaural and Riot Act are generally considered the two weakest albums. I like them both, and some songs on each are fucking stellar, but I think if most of us were ranking the albums, they'd be in the bottom two.

Not enough Ed on either. Too much delegating. At least for my taste. I prefer Ed songs.

Riot Act is my favourite album! And Binaural is up there as well. I put Lost Dogs ahead of Backspacer :D

Someone mentioned Supersonic - I forgot about that song, I think that is probably the worst 'full' song they've ever done (when I say 'full' song its because I don't include stuff like FoxyMop or Bugs)

• Options
    P23JP23J Posts: 103

+1
  • Options
    P23J wrote:

+1

They opened Dublin '06 with Inside Job. My jaw dropped, it was amazing!