Options

Google+

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I say the setup is better than Facebook's. However, I don't think people give a shit. There's some hype around it, but I'm not sure that it will take off. Just like Bing isn't overtaking Google as search engine, Google won't overtake what is already massively popular, even if Facebook's popularity is slightly waning. If it does happen, it will be slow.

The internet is a strange beast. In 10 years, sites like Google, Facebook & Twitter could all still be going strong, or any of them could be gone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am just having a difficult time navigating it...I was posting on my own profile before I realized it! :oops: It just takes some time to get used to, as with anything else, I guess.

And you're right...who know where it will all be in 10 years...aren't we all going to hell in a hand basket in October or something? :lol::lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    I remember not liking Facebook at first and thinking it wasn't as good as MySpace. :mrgreen: To some extent, I miss MySpace because you could put a background image on your page and force people to listen to music when they got on your page... and it would take forever for some peoples' pages to load... yeahh, those were the days.
  • Options
    I never had MySpace, my friends introduced me to FB, and I have lots of family and friends on there that I keep in touch with.
    I only added Google+ for PJ. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MySpace didn't have the accessibility that Facebook has until after Facebook became big, when it began to copy all of Facebook's features, only they didn't function as well, and it's big annoying ads only got worse.

I love the fact that Rupert Murdoch bought MySpace right when the nails were being put in the coffin.

Of course, it's still there, but everyone's pages are nothing but reminders of what life was like 5 years ago.
    Post edited by kenny olav on
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    kenny olav wrote:
    I love the fact that Rupert Murdoch bought MySpace right when the nails were being put in the coffin

Ha ha, bought it for $450 million sold it a month ago for $35 million, that's a bit of a lose.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    kenny olav wrote:
    I love the fact that Rupert Murdoch bought MySpace right when the nails were being put in the coffin

Ha ha, bought it for $450 million sold it a month ago for $35 million, that's a bit of a lose.

haha :lol: Suck shit Murdoch!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    this is like the 1,000th post on G+. That's what us cool kids are calling it. Who knows if this will beat facebook. But so far i like it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    kenny olav wrote:

haha :lol: Suck shit Murdoch!

Did you get my invite zig?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    igotid88 wrote:
    this is like the 1,000th post on G+. That's what us cool kids are calling it. Who knows if this will beat facebook. But so far i like it.

Whats facebook?
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

Did you get my invite zig?

Nope....??
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

Yes, I do see a thread about it on page 2. Oh well, I was too lazy to look.

G+ doesn't sound right. Neither does Google+. Names are important.

But with Molly from Rocketboom's accent, it does sound pretty hot.
    http://youtu.be/nKhheto4L6k
  • Options
    I'm not even sure what Google+ is....is it just like Facebook?
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:

it's a social site.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Basically, but with none of the stupid games, no ads (so far) and you can put your friends/family into 'circles' so that you can post different things to different circles. One small thing I've noticed is that you can search youtube directly from your status update. There are other quirky little useful things. I'm still checking it out.
  • Options
    You can also follow people without being their friend, as with twitter.

It's all fucking lame as fuck of course. That's why I love it. :thumbup:
  • Options
    No surprise... it's a sausage fest!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.med ... google_cnn

Google+ users are nearly all male

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Google+ stats trackers: Three quarters (or more) of Google+ users are male.

SocialStatistics, a third-party site that gathers data from select profiles, pegs the percentage of male users at 86.8%, while FindPeopleOnPlus, which curates information from about a million users, says men constitute 73.7% of Google+.

FindPeopleOnPlus also discovered that 95% of the Google+ users who say they are "looking for love" on the site are male. Some 25,000 users in their sample identify themselves as single, versus 19,000 married and 12,000 in a relationship. The vast majority of the million users sampled don't say what they are.

With around 60% of users identifying themselves as web developers or software engineers, that paints a fairly stereotypical picture of Google+'s userbase: nerdy guys who have deep understandings of technology and who don't mind killing some time setting up Circles of friends.

It's true that the early adopters of any new technology are usually male. But Google+ will have to appeal to a mainstream audience if it's to reach mass adoption anytime soon.

Consider the gender breakdown for Google+'s biggest competitor, Facebook. The social network is close to a 50-50 split between men and women. And some of Facebook's most addicted, most enthusiastic users are women.

Meanwhile, Google is about to stop requiring users to input their gender -- meaning we may get less accurate stats as time progresses.
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    kenny olav wrote:
    No surprise... it's a sausage fest!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.med ... google_cnn

Google+ users are nearly all male

well fuck how come no one invited me? i love sausage.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Basically, but with none of the stupid games, no ads (so far) and you can put your friends/family into 'circles' so that you can post different things to different circles. One small thing I've noticed is that you can search youtube directly from your status update. There are other quirky little useful things. I'm still checking it out.

what he said
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Yeah, that circle thing sounds handy. I'd like to be able to group my friends into different categories so not everyone can see everything I post....which is fuck all anyway. I now have soooo many PJ people as friends that I don't even know....it's kinda getting annoying in a way....CONSTANT friend requests.
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    kenny olav wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Yeah, that circle thing sounds handy. I'd like to be able to group my friends into different categories so not everyone can see everything I post....which is fuck all anyway. I now have soooo many PJ people as friends that I don't even know....it's kinda getting annoying in a way....CONSTANT friend requests.

You can do that with Facebook, but it's not as easy to create the friend groups, or to direct your statuses toward those groups as it is with Google+. Check it out... I can invite you. We need a better male/female ratio over there :)
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

You can do that with Facebook, but it's not as easy to create the friend groups, or to direct your statuses toward those groups as it is with Google+. Check it out... I can invite you. We need a better male/female ratio over there :)

I just got a request sent to me....I'll look into it.
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    kenny olav wrote:

I just got a request sent to me....I'll look into it.

I think I know who sent it.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Google+ does not equal Facebook. I think there is some overlap, but I don't think it intends to be a true replacement.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I've been trying out Google+ for the last week or so. I like it. It seems more streamlined than Facebook, for now, at least.

I have one problem with it, though. Almost nobody I know is using it, or at least, using it very much. If anybody wants a new +friend, or whatever we're going to call it, feel free to circle me.

My handle is Isaac Allan.
  • Options
    isaacallan wrote:
    I've been trying out Google+ for the last week or so. I like it. It seems more streamlined than Facebook, for now, at least.

I have one problem with it, though. Almost nobody I know is using it, or at least, using it very much. If anybody wants a new +friend, or whatever we're going to call it, feel free to circle me.

I am ShimmyMommy PJ on there :mrgreen:
  • Options
    isaacallan wrote:

Thanks for the add! The more friends in my circles, the merrier!
  • Options
    isaacallan wrote:
    isaacallan wrote:

Thanks for the add! The more friends in my circles, the merrier!

Agreed, and you are welcome. :D
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    DS1119 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Whats facebook?

your avatar is so fucked up :lol::lol::lol: