Options

Meeting Eddie

2»

Comments

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Awesome story man! Got a wave from Ed in Oakland. Such a fantastic show. I honestly don't think I could love a band more from my generation. :mrgreen: The Ed solo show was so good, I wish I was going to PJ 20. :cry: but oh well, money doesn't allow. I'll see them next album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    That's a great story! I had the honor of meeting Eddie and shaking his hand once at his solo show at the Orpheum in Memphis in 2009 and again at the Voices for Justice rally in Little Rock in 2010. I only wish I'd been cool enough to say something like "great show." Both of my post-concert "meet and greet" experiences played out much like you described. I'd been waiting for about 2 hours with my husband at the back door of the Orpheum. There I was...a successful, poised, confident, quick-witted 40-year-old mother of two about to meet the man behind the voice that had been such an influence in my life. What would I say? How could I possibly convey how honored I was to have this opportunity? And then Eddie came to me, grinning, and put out his hand for me to shake. To this day, I can't explain what happened except to say that I lost my freakin' mind. The simple act of shaking his hand transformed me into an absolute puddle and all I could muster was a ridiculous, giddy, school-girl gush of "Hehehe...huh huh huh...oh my God...it's so nice to meet you." The next meeting was somewhat less humiliating. I managed to thank him for all of his efforts to help free the West Memphis 3. But then I completely regressed a little later when a woman in line hugged him after we'd been warned not to do that and, before I could stop myself, I spouted in what must have sounded like the voice of a spoiled 7-year-old, "Hey! Why does SHE get a hug?" I did manage to regain my composure long enough to meekly ask for a guitar pick for my son (who calls it his "lucky pick" and only uses it when playing something special). Man, celebrities must think most common folk are complete boobs. But maybe they can forgive us when they consider what an enormous compliment it is to inspire such humiliating awe!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I touched Dave Grohl's cowboy hat once.
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    I got to meet him on couple different occasions out in Seattle. He even bummed a cigarette off of me when i said hi to him at a Sonic Youth show. He lives up to his reputation.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    Got to meet him after the Cincy show in October. I was in front row and got a tambourine and wine, but that was nothing compared to actually meeting him. It wasn't very long but he shook my hand and wished me a happy birthday, then asked me how old I was turning (24). Before I could answer, he apologized a bunch of times and said that he knows better than to ask a lady her age. :lol: I almost didn't try for GA tickets that show since I had to drive 11 hours and pay for hotel, etc, but I'm beyond happy that I did.
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    shines69 said:

That's a great story! I had the honor of meeting Eddie and shaking his hand once at his solo show at the Orpheum in Memphis in 2009 and again at the Voices for Justice rally in Little Rock in 2010. I only wish I'd been cool enough to say something like "great show." Both of my post-concert "meet and greet" experiences played out much like you described. I'd been waiting for about 2 hours with my husband at the back door of the Orpheum. There I was...a successful, poised, confident, quick-witted 40-year-old mother of two about to meet the man behind the voice that had been such an influence in my life. What would I say? How could I possibly convey how honored I was to have this opportunity? And then Eddie came to me, grinning, and put out his hand for me to shake. To this day, I can't explain what happened except to say that I lost my freakin' mind. The simple act of shaking his hand transformed me into an absolute puddle and all I could muster was a ridiculous, giddy, school-girl gush of "Hehehe...huh huh huh...oh my God...it's so nice to meet you." The next meeting was somewhat less humiliating. I managed to thank him for all of his efforts to help free the West Memphis 3. But then I completely regressed a little later when a woman in line hugged him after we'd been warned not to do that and, before I could stop myself, I spouted in what must have sounded like the voice of a spoiled 7-year-old, "Hey! Why does SHE get a hug?" I did manage to regain my composure long enough to meekly ask for a guitar pick for my son (who calls it his "lucky pick" and only uses it when playing something special). Man, celebrities must think most common folk are complete boobs. But maybe they can forgive us when they consider what an enormous compliment it is to inspire such humiliating awe!

I love this! Especially "Hey! Why does SHE get a hug?" :) Isn't it funny when your thoughts get expressed before you realize they're coming out? "Did I just say that out loud??" LOL! Great story, and I relate more to your experience (although mine wasn't about meeting Eddie) than most others because I'm also a working mom who isn't usually in that situation.

In terms of first meeting Eddie, I was helped to stay calm in a major way by the fact that shortly before I met him (which was a long time ago and wasn't at a PJ show, so it was unexpected and there weren't many people talking to him), I'd just seen what I think was an MTV interview when PJ were on their 1st Lollapalooza and Ed looked kinda traumatized and said, almost pleading, "If you see us say hi... but PLEASE, don't SCREAM!" and I thought "Oh my gosh, poor guy!" so I was just really quiet and it was like approaching a frightened animal, even though I'm pretty sure he was fine and did not think anyone was going to bite him. :) But it helped that my dominant emotion was sympathy and not "OHMYGAWDIT'SEDDIEF'INVEDDER!!!!!!!!!!", although I understand why most people feel exactly that way... ;)
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2015
    Awesome story!

I was lucky enough to meet Ed too (he's my idol). After the Milwaukee show me and about 10 other fans waited for a little more than 3 hours to meet him. I was 14 and this was my first show so I wanted to make it as special as possible, when I saw the small crowd I thought there was definitely a chance he would come out and say hi. Ed's assistant came out a few times and I chatted with him, he gave me a Mike Mccready Hockey Talkter pick. The last time he came out was brief, and all he did was walk straight over to me and said "he'll be out soon." The waiting finally payed off! So about 20 minutes later a black SUV pulls up, his driver gets out and says that Eddie will say hi but he just wants no pictures and no autographs. This was fine with me because 1) it was already the greatest moment of my life. 2) I had purposely left my phone in my dad's car so I would be able to fully absorb every moment of the night, and I had nothing for him to sign anyway. Then Eddie gets out. He got out on the opposite side of me so he went to greet the 5 people that were over there, hugging each one and taking a couple of minutes to talk with them. Then after he was done that side, even though I wasn't on either end of the short line of people, he walked straight to me. I'll never forget what he said while walking to me, "you've gotta get out of this cold!". I was still in shock, plus I had been awake for 21 hours at that point, but somehow I was able to get out "this is worth it". He got a big grin and hugged me and I told him that he was my idol and we just chatted pleasantly for a couple of minutes. He gave me a black futura his black futura pick somewhere during the exchange. After he finished my side he said a goodbye to everyone and went on his way. It was 3:45 A.M. when he left.

I'm so glad he gave me the pick, it is so much better than an autograph or picture. Everytime I even look at the pick, it just takes me back that awesome night.

So I think somebody asked if anybody had stayed really late to meet him, answer is yup! :D

Edit: I also sent a letter to the 10C thanking him for doing that. I hope he got to read it last time he visited there!
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    How funny, I'm just reading this years later. I'm the woman in the wheelchair in the story! He's such a great guy...was front center at Ohana Fest this weekend, and yesterday he was talking to Beck and he brushed by me and turned to say "hey!" ...he still remembers me. How cool is that? One of these days I'll have to get a pic with him though! 
  • Options
    SlicknessSlickness Carlsbad, California Posts: 39
    Good for you! That’s awesome! I was at Ohana too. On the beach! I love that venue.