Options

*** EV Tour - Minneapolis Fanviews Here 07/02/11 ***

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited August 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Orpheum Theatre Minneapolis. MN
July 02, 2011

Set List

01. Waving Palms
02. Can't Keep
03. Sleeping By Myself
04. Without You
05. More Than You Know - (Rose, Eliscu, Youmans)
06. Goodbye
07. You're True
08. Dead Man
09. Just Breathe
10. Off He Goes
11. Betterman
12. Love Boat Captain
13. Long Nights w/Glen Hansard
14. Setting Forth
15. Far Behind
16. Guaranteed
17. Rise
18. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - (Lennon, McCartney)
19. Unthought Known
20. The End
21. Arc

Encore Break 1
22. Long Road (for crew member Sarah and her family)
23. Wishlist
24. Sleepless Nights w/Glen Hansard - (Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant)
25. Society w/Glen Hansard - (Jerry Hannan)
26. Falling Slowly {Glen singing and playing acoustic, Eddie duet vocal} - (Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová)
27. 4th Of July - (Dave Alvin)
28. Porch

Encore Break 2
29. Hard Sun w/Glen Hansard-(Peterson)
30. Dream A Little Dream-(Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andree)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please remember to keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you and if you celebrate the holiday, have a safe and fun Fourth of July! :)

P.S. Glen Hansard Set List

01. Pennies In The Fountain
02. Seven Day Mile
03. Leave
04. Low Rising
05. You Will Become
06. Love Don't Leave Me Waiting
07. Astral Weeks - (Van Morrison) {Glen sings a few lines from "Smile" at the end of this song. He has been doing it for the last few shows}
08. Song Of Good Hope
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjrusspjruss Posts: 453
    Love Boat Captain. Simply fantastic version. Changed lyric to "11 years ago today". Other highlights were Off He Goes, betterman (lullabye version), Hard Sun.
    Crowd great except for one joker criticizing Sean Penn enough to make Eddie say something like "ok, it's time for me to take control here and tell you to shut the fuck up". Besides that, it was super loud, lots of sing-alongs.
    Glad I traveled all the way from Florida for the show. Munk One poster pretty solid
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    edited July 2011
    Wow so many highlights! Really wish I could have been at this one! LBC, Off He Goes, The End, Wishlist, Long Road! Just wow! The shows really are getting better and better....just a little over a week until Oakland!!! :D
    Post edited by Better Dan on
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    lillwild1lillwild1 Posts: 32
    Between last nights marathon and tonight's tighter set, a perfect weekend. The crowd wasn't as good as last night, IMO. But you add them together and this has been the best experience ever! Got pictures of Eddie, al franken and more. Happy, happy, happy!
    Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear your favours nor your hate.
  • Options
    This was a great show. I'm amazed how full of an experience Ed was able to deliver with just the guitars (and uke). Highlight for me was Dead Man and live version of Arc was pretty great as well.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    Ed said he and Glen are going to take it easy on the next tour and just do three weeks straight in Minnesota - can't wait :D
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Nice !! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    edited July 2011
    Pretty good show. It got much better as it went along.

Ed flubbed the lyrics to maybe four of the uke songs. He mixed up Just breathe also, repeating the same verse. This was a major bummer as he seemed to really be struggling. Did he have a cold? I noticed he kept sipping from a cup and didn't have his wine.

The show and Ed hit their stride on Off he Goes. It was pretty solid from then on out. The crowd had some yellers, but it was all positive stuff, however annoying. The crowd was way into it giving many stading ovations and extended applause. Ed mentioned he and glen might do a three week tour of just minnesota saying, "you can check the tape, I said that." to which the crowd gave a looooong standing ovation. :-) Minnesota loves ya, Ed!

Love Boat Captain was a big surprise and was execuited very well. If new songs from PJ's songbook are being added, maybe Corduroy and Not for You may still make appearances...

Porch was a real highlight. Everyone standing throughout the whole song and singing word for word.

Hard sun was long with the crowd clapping and singing along word for word. Huge energy with the crowd way into it. The only song I would have liked to have heard (and is in the setlist) was immortality.

Overall the audience was pretty well behaved. Ed told the crowd to shut the fuck up once and then it was smooth sailing. After the shakey start it was a kick ass show.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    The show was about 2 hour 15 mins, by the way. Glen was very well received, even getting some standing ovations! Pretty amazing for an opening act. A great example of the minnesota nice.

Hope you can make it back to Minnesota EV and PJ! Thank you again for coming!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Glen was very well received, even getting some standing ovations! Pretty amazing for an opening act. A great example of the minnesota nice.
    He earned the SO's
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    Some very good summaries. I'll add a couple thoughts while it's still fresh.

Glen's set was amazing and the highlight was Astral Weeks, he got a very long standing ovation after it and he looked very humble from it, had a bit of trouble remembering what he was playing next actually had to ask someone backstage.

Eddie mentioned he was listening to Glen's set and remarked at how great the crowd was. He also thanked Bill Pohlad(part owner of the MN Twins) for financing Into the Wild, said it wouldn't have happened with out him.

He defiantly got of to a rocky start but he turned it into a stellar performance. Lot of great songs but the best part for me was falling slowly, there is so much energy in that song and Eddie and Glen sound phenomenal together. That song alone is worth the price of admission.

Merch table was a nightmare, only 3 girls working and a lot of stinky sweaty bodies trying to get to the front. Posters were not at a separate table. Purchased a hoddie and damn and has some major odor emitting from it.
  • Options
    MNbettermanMNbetterman Posts: 154
    Eddie was awesome as was Glen! W/O U, LBC and off he goes were just mazing and so was the crowd!

The dudes from winnipeg rocked as well! Thanks for bailing me out on the extras!

Can't wait for Alpine!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    Love Boat Captain???????wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Pearl Jam_iePearl Jam_ie Posts: 821
    A great pre-party, good 10c seats (14th row, left center), good crowd, and great performances from Glen and Ed. No Dylan covers was a surprise, but can't complain about song selection. Highlights for me were LBC, Long Road, and Falling Slowly, which gave me goosebumps. You could tell the crowd was moved because as soon as they hit the chorus to that song, everyone started going nuts! I waited til after the show to pick up some merch, and though it was a little bit of a CF, I got what I needed. I know everyone is different, but tonight was an overall great night IMO.
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    WHIPSONWHIPSON St. Paul Posts: 86
    Bravo.
    Lolla St. Paul 1992
    Minneapolis 1998
    Minneapolis 2003
    St. Paul 2006
    Kansas City 2010
    Wrigley 2013
    St. Paul 2014
    Wrigley1 2016
    St. Paul Night 1 2023
    St. Paul Night 2 2023
  • Options
    adoffinadoffin Blaine, MN Posts: 398
    Love Boat Captain???????wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!
    Highlight of the night, indeed...he even commented beforehand how it was a first and he'd see how it went....ummm....SPECTACULAR!

Great crowd, great energy...almost wished we would've stood the entire time...it was worth it. We waited around afterwards and only saw Glen leave and were told that EV left thru a different exit...I left....wondering if I left too early.....
    Chicago - 6/29/98
    Indianapolis - 8/18/00
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    St. Paul - 6/26/06 (w/Petty)
    St. Paul - 6/27/06 (w/Petty)
    Chicago - 8/23/09
    Minneapolis - 7/2/11 (Ed)
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/3/11
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/4/11
    Wrigley - 7/19/13
    Pittsburgh - 10/11/13
    Buffalo - 10/12/13
    Moline - 10/17/14
    St. Paul - 10/19/14
    Milwaukee - 10/20/14
    Wrigley - 8/20/16
    Wrigley - 8/22/16
    Wrigley - 8/18/18
    Wrigley - 8/20/18
    St. Louis - 9/18/22
    St. Paul 1 - 8/31/23
    St. Paul 2 - 9/2/23
    Chicago 1 - 9/5/23
    Chicago 2 - 9/7/23
    Wrigley - 8/29/24
    Wrigley - 8/31/24
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    Amazing show. Met a ton of great peeps. Cocobutter landed front row!
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    Love Boat Captain. :shock:
  • Options
    who_me13who_me13 Posts: 53
    This time I didn't have to drive to Memphis like the last time, which was a bit more convenient.

Walking around before the show, we saw Glen on his way to the venue with his guitar and a manager/roadie type. Nice enough to give us a thumbs up.

Got row U, so we were 23 rows back on the floor, right in the middle. The entire row T had gotten tickets on ticketmaster just a couple of hours before showtime, so they are dumping tickets for these shows, plus there were lots of extras going for face value or before (except for the person scalping 2nd row tix for $300 outside).

Everyone settled pretty well and listened to Glen, even though people still trailed in late. Glen made a comment about this audience giving him the most attention though. Absolutely KILLED Astral Weeks, he got a huge standing O after. Also good to hear Leave and Low Rising.

Not a ton of stories out of EV tonight. Ripped through the setlist, taking breaks to change instruments and take drinks of what looked like to be juice? After fumbling through a few of the uke songs, he referred to them as snafu's (acronym for "situation normal: all fucked up") and noted when he wrote ukulele songs, he was fubar (fucked up beyond all recognition) due to roskilde and his personal life. So his goal was to make the happy sounding uke depressed.

He said since we were so forgiving when he screwed up earlier, he wanted to try an experiment. We all know experiments in the PJ world are amazing. Love Boat Captain! He changed the words in it to "lost 9 friends we've grown to know, 11 years ago." I believe that's the first time he's played it solo?

He told a story right before Rise about how when he was doing music for Into the Wild, he got some mandolins from a music shop in Seattle to test out sounds for the movie. He got interrupted by a screamer who wanted to know what kind of mandolin he had. EV replied that info was in the playbill and he should check it out. Drunken screamer still wanted him to say what kind, so Ed finally said, "okay, looks like it's time for me to take control back again so I'm gonna tell you to fuck off." Said something about how he learned how to do that from Sean Penn.

Long Nights was awesome to finally hear live! Also nice to hear The End, but something was a bit off with it. He messed up the guitar and words. After applause for Society, Ed said that it originally done by Jerry Hannan and he would tell him we liked it. He introduced Falling Slowly as a song that Glen wrote and people were on their feet by the first chorus. That version has to be released at some point.

The rest of the show was amazing. Got my poster on the way out (there were plenty) and we went and got something to eat and came back to see if Ed would stop and say hi on his way out. Glen finally came out to cheers and some harassment for autographs. Few min later we saw Bill Pohlad (producer of Into the Wild/MN Twins owner) come out with some vinyl under his arm. Shortly after that, Ed snuck out a side door on the other side of the venue and sped off. Kind of left a sour taste in peoples mouth after such a great show and crowd.

Really didn't mind the flubbed songs..if I wanted them perfect, I'd stay home and play the record. Seems though that these next few days off may help him out, whether it's sickness, voice strain or burn out. You know something's up when he doesn't have his wine going on stage.

Still, best solo show I've seen out of the 3!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Love Boat Captain? :shock: Gawd I wish he played that in NYC. At this point I think I would give up my first AND second born for boots to all the shows. Ed please release boots!!!
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    pjruss wrote:
    Love Boat Captain. Simply fantastic version. Changed lyric to "11 years ago today". Other highlights were Off He Goes, betterman (lullabye version), Hard Sun.
    Crowd great except for one joker criticizing Sean Penn enough to make Eddie say something like "ok, it's time for me to take control here and tell you to shut the fuck up". Besides that, it was super loud, lots of sing-alongs.
    Glad I traveled all the way from Florida for the show. Munk One poster pretty solid
    Right on Russ! I'm glad you came in from Florida as well my friend - now i hope to see you at PJ20!

Show was superb after a bit of an odd start. Ed fucked up during each of the first 4 songs - and told a little story about being FUBAR - fucked up beyond all recognition. Once he put down the uke and picked up the guitar things smoothed out and it became a classic. Dead Man - Off He GOes - Betterman lulaby- The End - LBC - Long Road and the seasonal 4th of July were nice little treats to this show.
    Also Ed does such a good job singing the female part on Falling Slowly w/ Glen.
    Good time - Great crowd.
  • Options
    Did anyone pick up any extra Minneapolis posters for other 10C members?

I'll buy one. Looks great!

PM me.

David
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    I was at the STL show the night before, and my opinion is that the crowd was much more respectful at the STL show (I'm from MN so I'm bummed about that) as well as a higher energy crowd. That being said, I still enjoyed the MPLS show just as much. We ended up row Q on the Main Floor with my 10C tickets so the seats were decent. Long Road and The End were 2 songs on my "list" that I wanted to see live so I was happy he played those. LBC was another treat to hear as well as Dead Man and Hide Your Love Away. I hope Eddie and/or the whole band come back to MN soon! Now the wait for Alpine Valley continues...
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Suziemay wrote:
    Love Boat Captain? :shock: Gawd I wish he played that in NYC. At this point I think I would give up my first AND second born for boots to all the shows. Ed please release boots!!!
    :mrgreen:
    HUGE +1
    WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!! WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!WE WANT BOOTS!!!
    PLEASE.... :D
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Ben2009Ben2009 Posts: 30
    Remarkable. My first Ed solo show, so I can't compare it to others, but this one was great. Off He Goes, LBC, Society, a fantastic Can't Keep (highly underrated in any format). Goodbye and Just Breathe were beautiful. Porch was a huge sing-along - cathartic.

I thought the crowd was fantastic, except for the guy who yelled out "It's about you!" after Off He Goes. Really, dude?

Just one question, and I'm sure it's been asked and answered before: what's with the lab coats?

Thanks Ed and Glen for a fabulous night.
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Wouldn't it be awesome if Ed released a box set of boots from every show on this tour?? I would love to have every show, since there were different songs performed and so many great stories. Fingers crossed that this happens!!! :thumbup:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    who_me13 wrote:
    He told a story right before Rise about how when he was doing music for Into the Wild, he got some mandolins from a music shop in Seattle to test out sounds for the movie. He got interrupted by a screamer who wanted to know what kind of mandolin he had. EV replied that info was in the playbill and he should check it out. Drunken screamer still wanted him to say what kind, so Ed finally said, "okay, looks like it's time for me to take control back again so I'm gonna tell you to fuck off." Said something about how he learned how to do that from Sean Penn.

The screamer didn't say anything about the Mandolin, the idiot was yelling about Sean Penn and Haiti. He yelled earlier as well when Ed talked about Sean getting him to do do the music for ITW and then intro'd Bill Pohlad. The guy was annoying, he kept yelling about " not waiting 3 days" at the start of the show. I think he got kicked out after Ed told him to fuck off or he finally realized no one paid to hear his idiotic yells and shut up.
  • Options
    cindbricindbri Posts: 88
    Fantastic night. Ed really brought it, yeah he fucked up at the start but that's part of the whole experience in my opinion. Thought the crowd was great, nice job Mpls, many standing ovations (well deserved btw!!). Off He Goes, Far Behind, Love Boat Captain (enough said)....but Falling Slowly w/ Glen was unreal. In two words, totally awesome :D ! Can't wait for Toronto.
  • Options
    zebra27zebra27 Posts: 214
    All I can say is wow!

Awesome show all around. Crowd was definitely into and I thought all of the stupidity kind of stopped after the one guy got the verbal thrashing.

Having no familiarity with Glen, I was very impressed by his set as well as by the songs he and Ed did together.

The uke songs were a good way to kind of ease into the show and the live versions do them more justice than the album versions. All of the ITW songs were excellent also, particularly Rise and Hard Sun. Arc was also unbelievable.

My fiance had asked me before the show which songs I wanted to hear. I told her I had a couple but don't think about it too much so as to not be somehow disappointed. I told her one of them we probably wouldn't get because he had just played it the night before in STL. Wrong, he pulled out Wishlist. Very nice. Then he pulled out Long Road. All expectations met! But when he started on LBC, holy moly. Never even crossed my mind that he would treat us to that! He could have walked off after that and I would not have complained for one second.

It was also good to see some old friends at the preparty (hi Jen!) and meet some new ones, too!

Awesome show, awesome night! Thanks Ed!

-D
  • Options
    Bee GuyBee Guy Posts: 49
    Great show. It was my second time seeing Ed solo and his talent is just unreal. Other than the one yelling incident, the crowd was really good. Both Ed and Glen seemed really appreciative. Great show!
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    Solid Set after a hot night in St. Louis!
    Surprised no one stood up during Unthought Known and I thought the crowd totally missed the sing along at the end of Long Road. LBC and Dead Man made my night!