Options

Some "In Hiding" trivia...

im an earim an ear San Diego, CA Posts: 245
edited January 2008 in The Porch
In the liner notes for "In Hiding" it says "four days alone with nothing. emerge empowered... 'the first human face you see will knock you back 50%.' -buk." Then at the bottom it says "Thanks Sean."

I found this article where Sean Penn interviews the writer Charles Bukowski. He asks him his views on various topics. Regadring leisure, Bukowksi says:

"This is very important -- to take leisure time. Pace is the essence. Without stopping entirely and doing nothing at all for great periods, you're gonna lose everything. Whether you're an actor, anything, a housewife...there has to be great pauses between highs, where you do nothing at all. You just lay on a bed and stare at the ceiling. This is very, very important...just to do nothing at all, very, very important. And how many people do this in modern society? Very few. That's why they're all totally mad, frustrated, angry and hateful. ln the old days, before I was married, or knew a lot of women, I would just pull down all the shades and go to bed for three or four days. I'd get up to shit. I'd eat a can of beans, go back to bed, just stay there for three or four days. Then I'd put on my clothes and I'd walk outside, and the sunlight was brilliant, and the sounds were great. I felt powerful, like a recharged battery. But you know the first bring-down? The first human face I saw on the sidewalk, I lost half my charge right there. This monstrous, blank, dumb, unfeeling face, charged up with capitalism -- the "grind." And you went "Oooh! That took half away." But it was still worth it, I had half left. So, yeah, leisure. And I don't mean having profound thoughts. I mean having no thoughts at all. Without thoughts of progress, without any self-thoughts of trying to further yourself. Just...like a slug. It's beautiful."

P.S. How ironic is it that in 1997 Ed got inspiration from an interview Sean Penn did in 1987 and then go on to make a movie together in 2007 about escaping from society. And how perfect would "In Hiding" have been for the "Into the Wild" Soundtrack?!
San Diego, CA - 10/25/00, San Diego, CA - 7/7/06, Los Angeles, CA - 7/9/06, San Diego, CA - 4/15/08 (EV), San Diego, CA - 10/9/09, San Diego, CA - 7/5/11 (EV), San Diego, CA - 11/21/13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i always thought that was directed towards me! my names sean... thought maybe... me being such a big fan... especially of that song... guess... i guess i was mistaken... and i just renewed my 10C membership...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Nice read, very interesting.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Maybe there will be a clue in here somewhere.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLut7QVxXn0&feature=related
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I always wondered what that quote was/meant in the liner notes.
    was it?....
  • Options
    Thanks man, terrific research! I always liked that quote and the '87-'97-'07 thing is pretty cool.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    That's totally it. I do that a lot when I experience something so powerful, for example,a tour. Then I gotta be *In Hiding* for a while to get back into normal life. I do it for other reasons and different periods...I once thought I was just being lazy but this explains it pretty well... Just be in my room, or go out by myself for a walk, with noone around..It's definitely healing and totally
    helps the soul. It's great to be around people but sometimes it's just a bit too much, you know... :o
    And this is why this song is my favorite Pearl Jam song of all time.
    This and it's a great song in general...the *phylosophy* behind it just
    adds to the awesomness :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Edit
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i'm_an_ear wrote:
    In the liner notes for "In Hiding" it says "four days alone with nothing. emerge empowered... 'the first human face you see will knock you back 50%.' -buk." Then at the bottom it says "Thanks Sean."

I found this article where Sean Penn interviews the writer Charles Bukowski. He asks him his views on various topics. Regadring leisure, Bukowksi says:

"This is very important -- to take leisure time. Pace is the essence. Without stopping entirely and doing nothing at all for great periods, you're gonna lose everything. Whether you're an actor, anything, a housewife...there has to be great pauses between highs, where you do nothing at all. You just lay on a bed and stare at the ceiling. This is very, very important...just to do nothing at all, very, very important. And how many people do this in modern society? Very few. That's why they're all totally mad, frustrated, angry and hateful. ln the old days, before I was married, or knew a lot of women, I would just pull down all the shades and go to bed for three or four days. I'd get up to shit. I'd eat a can of beans, go back to bed, just stay there for three or four days. Then I'd put on my clothes and I'd walk outside, and the sunlight was brilliant, and the sounds were great. I felt powerful, like a recharged battery. But you know the first bring-down? The first human face I saw on the sidewalk, I lost half my charge right there. This monstrous, blank, dumb, unfeeling face, charged up with capitalism -- the "grind." And you went "Oooh! That took half away." But it was still worth it, I had half left. So, yeah, leisure. And I don't mean having profound thoughts. I mean having no thoughts at all. Without thoughts of progress, without any self-thoughts of trying to further yourself. Just...like a slug. It's beautiful."

P.S. How ironic is it that in 1997 Ed got inspiration from an interview Sean Penn did in 1987 and then go on to make a movie together in 2007 about escaping from society. And how perfect would "In Hiding" have been for the "Into the Wild" Soundtrack?!

thank you so much. thats my favorite pjsong, and i always wondered exactly what it was about/based on.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    That's the song that cemented me as a hardcore PJ fan. I'll bet if you survey the fans, In Hiding will be in the top 5 favorite songs.
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    nice :) and totally agree with bukowski, i am the fucken master at doing nothing & it's brilliant! :D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Thanks for that...it's how I've lived since I was around 9 and had always figured there was something "wrong" with me. You know, like antisocial. It's totally true, people bring me down. I would so rather spend my time alone or just with "nature". I live in Texas now and have gazillions of opportunities to do just that. The East coast is way too crowded.

Thanks for sharing. That was way good for me.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau