***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    I believe the cheapest tickets were $35 or something like that. GA was about $65 or $85. And yes, there are also expensive seats in the $300 range (and maybe even higher). So there are different price ranges for different budgets.

And I also agree with U2's pricing strategy trying to cut out the margin for scalpers. U2 is giving this show, investing quite a bit in it beforehand. So I understand that they don't want to have others profiting from it by selling tickets to fans for (even) higher prices. If the fans are paying just the same, then it's more deserved that the money is going to U2 instead of some sleazy scalper.
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    I paid $85 each for lower bowl night #1 and $40 each for upper bowl night #2. Both nights were incredible! So worth it for the experience!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I paid the equivalent of 120 USD for lower bowl to see them in Stockholm. I have never bought tickets that expensive before, but I so wanted to see them so...
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    It's not that the tickets are to expensive the problem is the bands do nothing to keep tickets from 2nd hand markets ei scalpers U2 has never done anything to keep the tickets away from them , hence me saying fuck you I'm not paying those prices ...it's still up to the fans to say fuck you but as long as people pay this will never change ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    I paid $40 for night one and $80 for night 2. Had better seats night 2 where I could see the big screen directly. Both tickets were bought on TM. I was checking stubhub for friends leading up to both shows and at one point you could have got into the show for $25!

I absolutely loved both shows. I will say the sound was awesome with their new way of putting speakers at the top of the arena. I got to hear BAD on night 2.

My only complaint with U2 is that I bought both nights once they said they would play two different shows. They changed seven songs so it wasn't even close to being different. 10-12 different a night would be ideal. Either way I loved both shows.

Second complaint is how people go to shows where a band is touring a new album and don't know ANY of the songs. I'd say 75% of the people at both vancouver shows had no idea what the new songs were. I love this album so was quite disappointed with fan reaction. When you are paranoid about people hating you because you are standing during those songs, something is wrong
  • U2 hangover letdown happening right now.

The show I attended (night 2 in Vancouver) was freaking awesome. The atmosphere the band manages to create and the connection they develop with the crowd- where people in the top corners are singing and dancing- is almost unparalleled.

If there's a band that rivals them in this department, I'd offer PJ who routinely have fans frothing. But to the integrity of this thread, if you have never seen U2... you need to. It was six years since they last played in Vancouver. They are on fire at the moment and I'm not sure where they'll be in another six.

I'm going to look at travelling somewhere to see them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710

U2 hangover letdown happening right now.

The show I attended (night 2 in Vancouver) was freaking awesome. The atmosphere the band manages to create and the connection they develop with the crowd- where people in the top corners are singing and dancing- is almost unparalleled.

If there's a band that rivals them in this department, I'd offer PJ who routinely have fans frothing. But to the integrity of this thread, if you have never seen U2... you need to. It was six years since they last played in Vancouver. They are on fire at the moment and I'm not sure where they'll be in another six.

Wow nice. Really looking forward seeing them in The Netherlands and Belgium. Maybe I will try to get some more tix for The Netherlands, they play there four times.
  • U2 hangover letdown happening right now.

Wow nice. Really looking forward seeing them in The Netherlands and Belgium. Maybe I will try to get some more tix for The Netherlands, they play there four times.
    Beauty! Lookin forward to hearing what you think and how your shows might be!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    U2 is doing a show at the Roxy in L.A. ........small 500 seat club.
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I was caller 19 an hour ago. :bawling:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Listening to Songs again today, still love it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    I really learned to appreciate the new songs after seeing the concerts, they played my favorites off of it in spectacular fashion! Way better tour than the 360 tour in my opinion!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    kasedoug said:

JOEJOEJOE said:

I was caller 19 an hour ago. :bawling:
    Ouch!

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Never seen U2 and would love to but no shows in Texas.

Beauty! Lookin forward to hearing what you think and how your shows might be!
    Will do! :). In San Jose they played Mysterious Ways. But setlist almost stays the same, which is a bit of a shame. Would be perfect if they did a different setlist for each show. But what they do is perfection, so I understand it.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    The Edge fell off the stage last night... Fell off? Actually, he literally just walked off the edge of it. Lol!

https://youtu.be/rta9CHp7bEE

It's not that the tickets are to expensive the problem is the bands do nothing to keep tickets from 2nd hand markets ei scalpers U2 has never done anything to keep the tickets away from them , hence me saying fuck you I'm not paying those prices ...it's still up to the fans to say fuck you but as long as people pay this will never change ...

Do you have any ideas as to what this band or ANY other bands can do to keep tickets from 2nd markets?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

The Edge fell off the stage last night... Fell off? Actually, he literally just walked off the edge of it. Lol!

Do you have any ideas as to what this band or ANY other bands can do to keep tickets from 2nd markets?

Peace
    U2 fanclub is such a easy solution. You pay $50 I believe, get a free LP from a old concert and you can reserve two tickets easily.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675

g under p said:

Peace
    U2 fanclub is such a easy solution. You pay $50 I believe, get a free LP from a old concert and you can reserve two tickets easily.
    ^^ This. I'm in the fanclub and I've never paid more that $80 a ticket for what I consider to be the best seats in the house, general admission. I haven't received the new fan club vinyl yet but it looks very cool.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2015

How much were tickets there? 100-150 is good deal for U2 and the production they usually put on.

Lower bowl tix were $312 EACH. :tired_face:
    I am not saying tix were unattainable or anything. I know GA tix and upper Bowl tix were cheaper. I was there.there for the sale and know the whole story (I had GA tix but a TM error fucked me out of them). But i just feel like lower bowl tix for $312 each is an asshole move. No ticket in the place should cost that much. Just an opinion.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    g under p said:

For one thing, U2 always offer ticket drops close to the date of the show, to undercut scalpers, etc. The last week they had them for Vancouver, San Jose and LA and those tickets included GAs! So, it's not they have never done anything. And, as mentioned before, members of U2.com got first access to (some of) the tickets. So they do their part.
  • PJ_Soul said:

How much were tickets there? 100-150 is good deal for U2 and the production they usually put on.

I am not saying tix were unattainable or anything. I know GA tix and upper Bowl tix were cheaper. I was there.there for the sale and know the whole story (I had GA tix but a TM error fucked me out of them). But i just feel like lower bowl tix for $312 each is an asshole move. No ticket in the place should cost that much. Just an opinion.
    You keep asserting your opinion, so I guess I'll do the same.

There were tickets very reasonable for all walks of life to attend. The major thrust of your initial argument was that the art should be available to all. While that's debatable, it has been shown that tickets were accessible and reasonable outside of premium seats.

They priced premium tickets much higher and they all sold. I bought two.

Would I have liked them to be cheaper so I could have the money instead of U2? Yes.
    But I had a choice to make and I- like many others- saw the value there and agreed to the price. In hindsight, I've spent that much money in much worse ways.

Bottom line: they never held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to purchase anything. You are calling it an asshole move because you want them to work cheaper when they don't have to.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

PJ_Soul said:

There were tickets very reasonable for all walks of life to attend. The major thrust of your initial argument was that the art should be available to all. While that's debatable, it has been shown that tickets were accessible and reasonable outside of premium seats.

Would I have liked them to be cheaper so I could have the money instead of U2? Yes.
    But I had a choice to make and I- like many others- saw the value there and agreed to the price. In hindsight, I've spent that much money in much worse ways.

Bottom line: they never held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to purchase anything. You are calling it an asshole move because you want them to work cheaper when they don't have to.
    I agree, they do have very expensive seats for those who can afford them. Also they have VIP seats as well and think with those vip tickets you get to meet band members. So yes SOME of their tickets are expensive they do give their fans options to cheaper more affordable seats. I really appreciate that just like when they gave options for affordability on the 360 Tour.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    For those who have been, what have been better seats this tour, GA floor or lower bowl?
  • For those who have been, what have been better seats this tour, GA floor or lower bowl?

Just don't be on the ends. Their massive screen with some impressive technology cannot be viewed as it runs the length of the floor (viewable to both sides).
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Ya. That's the kind of info I'm looking for....thanks
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    On the floor, what's the best place to stand (near the balls or along the shaft)? And if I show up an hour or two early, will I be able to get a rail spot somewhere along the stage?

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs said:

On the floor, what's the best place to stand (near the balls or along the shaft)? And if I show up an hour or two early, will I be able to get a rail spot somewhere along the stage?

I would say by the main stage. Get between the two stages so you can view the screen.

I'm not sure if you can get a rail spot or not, but I wonder if that's even fantastic? They move around quite a bit and being back and away from the rail might offer you better views 'throughout' the show. Remember, the stage runs the length of the floor: while you might be nice and close for 2-3 songs, you're later craning your neck to see them for 2-3 songs on the other end.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

PJ_Soul said:

I know all that. I still just hate to see tix that are wildly expensive. It's a fucking ripoff.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited May 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I know all that. I still just hate to see tix that are wildly expensive. It's a fucking ripoff.
    The Air Canada Centre holds about 20,000 people. Seats were from $46.50 to $298.50, and there isn't a single seat available for either of U2's two upcoming shows there. I paid $85 with taxes and fees to be potentially as close as one can get to the band. I did this because I put that price tag on the experience of seeing U2. The people who paid $46.50 put that price tag on that experience. The people who paid $298.50 put that price tag on that experience. It might be a fucking ripoff to you, but 40,000 tickets were bought by people who felt the show wasn't a fucking ripoff - otherwise they wouldn't have bought them. You might hate to see tickets that are wildly expensive, but I might as well say that I hate that a Lamborghini doesn't cost what my Honda Civic did. That's what capitalism and free markets are all about: producers place a price tag, consumers opt in or opt out. Producers adjust accordingly, based on the consumption.

Edit: This is all the more complicated by third-party ticketing. If a band underprices their tickets, they accept less profits, and the touts take some just for being in the right place at the right time - and guess what: you, PJ_Soul, pay the same!
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • elenelen Milan, Italy Posts: 188

My husband and his friend flew straight from Italy to see them and from what they've told me this tour definitely deserves a travel.
    They're still thrilled from the experience, in terms of emotions, musical solidity, Bono's voice, unbelievable screens...
    They're talking about one of the best opening dates so far.
    Now I can't wait to see them here.
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma