Options

Blue October

thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
edited June 2011 in Other Music
A great band from Texas, anybody listen to them?
Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EC52468EC52468 Posts: 12
    yep...big fans down here in Houston. They were up in NY debuting their new song from their upcoming album today. My wife bought the accoustic cd on Tuesday. We've seen them in concert several times..great fans and very intense shows..
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    just got into them bout 3 years ago...basically after Foiled came out...seen them in omaha last sat nite for my 7th time now...i own and listen to a lot of music and i have to admit, they by no means are on pj's level but i am definately wow'd by them...and i mean wow'd...once last note, ironically B/O's biggest hit "hate me" i really dont care for...but they are very very good
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Here's the rest of my Blue story...which after years found my story is like a lot of others in Blue october or even pj for that matter...so here it goes...my wife bought thier "foiled" cd cause she herd "hate me" on radio and loved it...she tried to get me to listen to the cd for 6 months and i tried it once or twice and wasn't interested...she knows me very well and what i like, so she knew deep down, i'd love it...so a few months later, her and her friends were going to see them here in omaha...i was like, cool another concert "i'm in" maybe live they'll be better...so i had a few brew's before they came on...nothing big, like maybe 4 or 5...anyways, it must have been the perfect setting cause when they come out, i was side stage in the lawn bout 10' from the stage and i swear, Justin came right out...looked me right in the eye and started singing. Usually at a rock show of a band you dont know, you dont hear or understand any words...not this time though...it was truely amazing...i swear it seamed like he was looking straight at me and i understood every word...i was wow'd to say the least...the only song i knew was "hate me" at that time but it was such a beautiful thing seeing every single fan pretty much sing every word and hang onto them like they wrote them themselves...when we got home, my wife had just gotten their DVD in the mail that day "argue w/tree"...i watched it till four in morn...and boy was my wife correct...within a few months i knew nearly everysong of theirs word for word...i'm 38 now and was in my 20's the last time a new band had that kind of impact on me...
    I'm forever pearl jam's family but Blue is a great cousin to support...
  • Options
    Great story man!!! :mrgreen: I have had Foiled and Approaching Normal for awhile now and I have been wanting to get into the rest of their music. Where should I start? :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Blue October is a great band. I may be biased though, cause they are from here.

I've seen them 2 or 3 times and they put on a great show. I loved the acoustic show they did for "Aproaching normal" it was great. But then again, I'm a softy for acoustic gigs. :mrgreen:

Rico, get History for sale, it's a great album. May be out of print, but I know it's avail on Itunes.

that is the one I would recommend I still need to get their first 2 though. Their live show is really good. They have a dvd out called argue with a tree that you may want to check out. there are clips on youtube of it, to give you a feel for what they are like live.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    This is my wife's favorite band, we've never scene them live though, because everytime we check out youtube vids they dont seem to be a good live band, although most of the vids are pretty shitty quality, hopefully someday they will put out a live dvd. After reading these reveiws maybe i should reconsider?

Also a freind of wifes told me, he see them as this generations Peter Gabriel, i don't listen to them enough to comment on that analogy but i wonder if you guys agree with that?
  • Options
    This is my wife's favorite band, we've never scene them live though, because everytime we check out youtube vids they dont seem to be a good live band, although most of the vids are pretty shitty quality, hopefully someday they will put out a live dvd. After reading these reveiws maybe i should reconsider?

Also a freind of wifes told me, he see them as this generations Peter Gabriel, i don't listen to them enough to comment on that analogy but i wonder if you guys agree with that?

Blue October has a dvd out called "Argue with a tree" it's been out a few years, so doesn't have any "Approaching normal" material. I don't really see them being this generations Peter Gabriel. There live show is good, but it's pretty much always a standard setlist, and they do play lots of material off of a new album when they promote it.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We saw them at the Mt. Baker Theater, which is a very small venue, probably 1,200 or so, where PJ played in 2000. We were front row and they were incredible. We're on the mailing list so get first dibs. Didn't know too much about them before but are fans now. High energy and very good rapport with the audience. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Rico,

Blue october is out touring right now. Not sure if they have hit Seattle, I just checked. They are doing acoustic shows. They have an acoustic cd (probably from the Texas shows they did last year called- Ugly Side: an acoustic evening with blue october.

I check up on them every once in awhile, but If they ever hit Seattle, I'll let you know.

Sorry, man, this thread prompted me to look, and I'll be damed they are out playing shows.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Rico,

Blue october is out touring right now. Not sure if they have hit Seattle, I just checked. They are doing acoustic shows. They have an acoustic cd (probably from the Texas shows they did last year called- Ugly Side: an acoustic evening with blue october.

I check up on them every once in awhile, but If they ever hit Seattle, I'll let you know.

Sorry, man, this thread prompted me to look, and I'll be damed they are out playing shows.

Thanks Kyle!!! I would love to see them live.... :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited May 2011
    curly wrote:
    just got into them bout 3 years ago...basically after Foiled came out...i listen to a lot of music and i have to admit, they by no means are on pj's level but i am definately wow'd by them...and i mean wow'd...once last note, ironically B/O's biggest hit "hate me" i really dont care for...but they are very very good

I agree.

I initially didn't care for Hate Me, but then I really grew to like just the chorus part--
    Hate me today
    Hate me tomorrow
    Hate me for all the things i didnt do for you
    Hate me in ways, yeah ways hard to swallow
    Hate me so you can finally see whats good for you

I think that's an important message for many people.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

Blue October has a dvd out called "Argue with a tree" it's been out a few years, so doesn't have any "Approaching normal" material. I don't really see them being this generations Peter Gabriel. There live show is good, but it's pretty much always a standard setlist, and they do play lots of material off of a new album when they promote it.

Cool, that's gona make a good gift :D
  • Options
    Ugly Side: An Acoustic Evening With Blue October

Anybody have this? is it good?
  • Options
    Ugly Side: An Acoustic Evening With Blue October

Anybody have this? is it good?

I haven't gotten this yet, but it was recorded during their acoustic shows in Texas last year. I saw the Houston show. I really wish they had put out a dvd of this as well. I'll have to pick this up soon myself.
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    This thread is a joke right?
  • Options
    Sawyer wrote:

that's harsh, there melodic suffering must have a place somewhere.
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    while i have to say im judging this band on hate me, and nothing else, i dont know. i feel sort of nauseated when i think of modern rock say from 2003 or so until now. When i think alt rock radio i think seether, three days grace, hinder, shinedown, latter day Staind, etc...

so while i can appreciate those bands, ive always maintained im a sucker for a well crafted catchy song, and many of those bands have those types of songs, i just sort of want more substance in my music.

we all are here, presumably because grunge music touched our lives. but one has to admit, the music that it directly inspired people to create, is sadly not too great.

as i said, i feel nauseated when i think of alt rock radio and modern rock.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    while i have to say im judging this band on hate me, and nothing else, i dont know. i feel sort of nauseated when i think of modern rock say from 2003 or so until now. When i think alt rock radio i think seether, three days grace, hinder, shinedown, latter day Staind, etc...

so while i can appreciate those bands, ive always maintained im a sucker for a well crafted catchy song, and many of those bands have those types of songs, i just sort of want more substance in my music.

we all are here, presumably because grunge music touched our lives. but one has to admit, the music that it directly inspired people to create, is sadly not too great.

as i said, i feel nauseated when i think of alt rock radio and modern rock.

Blue October has been a band since 1995. They were pretty big locally in Houston, but they didn't really take off radio wise until "History for sale" came out in 2003. The first Blue october song I heard was " inner glow, and then they started playing "calling you." that was in Dallas though so not sure about back home here. Only songs I hear by Blue October here in Houston are "hate me" "dirt room, and "say it." The problem I have with radio is that they now just have a genuine playlist. I have found that I am better off listening to an album online or samples online to really get the feel of the bands music on the whole. I agree with the substance thing, that's why I ignore radio on the fact of one or two songs. There are quite a few Blue october songs that would make great singles, but sadly radio markets just play like 1 or 2 songs. They may have had other singles but I never heard them on the radio. It is sad to see that most music on radio is so geniune and every band sounds the same. Out of all the bands you mentioned on the grunge influence, Seether is the only band that I think really does lay out the influence of grunge in their music. I heard Seether cover "heart shaped box" a few weeks ago, and it is errie how much Shaun Morgan sounded like Cobain, on the track. They have done a ton of grunge era covers, but their own music, is still very good. I love their "one cold night cd/dvd.
    Post edited by red mos on
  • Options
    Sawyer wrote:

What is your problem? You make threads about bands you like all the time and most of those bands I hate. But do I go and say something like "They suck?" No, I don't. If you don't like the band then ok, I don't care. But you don't have to go and post about it and sound like an ass. If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

What is your problem? You make threads about bands you like all the time and most of those bands I hate. But do I go and say something like "They suck?" No, I don't. If you don't like the band then ok, I don't care. But you don't have to go and post about it and sound like an ass. If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all.

I don't know about that. Other Music is for an all inclusive discussion. Not just to give praise. You seem to already know that you have a different taste in music compared to Sawyer so there's no real need to take his comment personally. Let him have his voice and you can have your voice.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

I don't know about that. Other Music is for an all inclusive discussion. Not just to give praise. You seem to already know that you have a different taste in music compared to Sawyer so there's no real need to take his comment personally. Let him have his voice and you can have your voice.

But it was the way he said it.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    Rather to excite your judgment briefly than to inform it tediously. -Francis Bacon
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

"you are my problem. that's because every time you go up there you're unsafe...I don't like you cause you're dangerous"
  • Options
    That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous
  • Options
    For anyone that cares.....they have a new album coming out in August called "Any Man in America" Their second single from that album is called "The Feel Again (Stay)" and it's a really great song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncmI65aYFzM

They also have another single out called "The Chills" that is also really good, if you a fan then totally check them out! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    edited September 2016
    New album. Good song (at least to me :wink: )
    https://youtu.be/7fNAVW4Otks?t=64
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.