"Santa God" is...

2»

Comments

• I'm Gone wrote:
    Not saying its heavy, just that it is a rocker as opposed to a ballad.

Yep :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Very REM-esque.
    That was my first thought as well.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
    Heard it for the first time this morning. Gave it 1 spin on the record player and loved it instantly. Still haven't flipped over to side 2 to hear "Jingle Bells".

I'm so glad they gave us some new shit this year.

"Santa God" is a fun song. It probably won't be on my short list of favorite Pearl Jam songs...but it is certainly a good song for the Holiday record and one I will play many many times over.

Happy Holidays
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Incredibly corny. I deleted it from my iTunes out of shame and fear that someone would encounter it on shuffle. I personally enjoyed it but it's not a song I would brag to my friends about.

That's why it's just a Xmas singles for the fan club.
    It's not a new single from a new album.
    I thought funny and enjoyed it as well.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • PJSEMPRE wrote:
    That's why it's just a Xmas singles for the fan club.
    It's not a new single from a new album.
    I thought funny and enjoyed it as well.

Yeah. I liked it too. I think it's cute and fun to listen to.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • First listen: "Hmmm..... that's interesting. Cute and quirky. Nice job, boys!"

Second listen: "Yeah... that's pretty catchy! I dig that. What a perfect little xmas tune! Kinda punk, kinda off-beat... very Pearl Jam and very Eddie! Yeah!! I totally dig that! Awesome little xmas tune!"

So, having not played it a third time yet, the jury comes in with all thumbs up. It's a keeper!!!
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • meme wrote:
    I can't have my child listen to it... Santa a lie? :(
    The kid has to find out the truth sometime.

Just kidding! :)
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • totally reminds me of the old xmas singles... not like anything we've seen in awhile... i love it!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • i wanna hear
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    I really dig when Ed gets way into it. I hope that is something that carries over to the next record.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I like it!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • RiotAct10 wrote:
    I really dig when Ed gets way into it. I hope that is something that carries over to the next record.
    id like to see the same old school sounding recording technique used too... the last album sounded too overproduced... wasnt it ben harpers most recent album that used some really simple recording? and that sounds raw and much more genuine
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I agree with most everything that's been said about it so far...

- it sounds a lot like mid-80s REM
    - it is corny
    - I like it anyway
    - I won't play it for my kids.

I won't play it for my kids because none of them has ever believed in Santa Claus. The idea of some old man sneaking into our house at night while everyone was sleeping did not sit well with them.

It's nice that Eddie wrote a song for the fan club this year. Much better than last year.