Options

Star Wars May the 4th be with you (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    So my three favorite scenes are the one where Vader goes ballistic in R1.  In Empire when he meets Han in cloud city and blocks his laser blast and when Luke goes nuts on the barge in Jedi.

Movies ranked

V
    VI
    IV
    VII
    R1
    II
    VIII
    III
    I

That might be the highest I've ever seen anyone rank Attack of the Clones. That's why I love these lists. Everyone's tastes are so different.
    I'm a huge fan of Clones.  The story line is great to me.  It could have been so much better too!
    Too much CGI.
    If you do a little research you'll find that the prequels used a ton of practical effects.  The problem is that the story was so large with so many impractical situations and characters, and the real issue is that some of the CGI was pretty poorly rendered.
    I am one who defended/defends the prequels a bit.  I feel they were made in an impossible spot with way too much expectation.  No matter what they did it would have been crushed and people piled on I think because it became the 'accepted' way to think.  Anyone who admitted to liking them were lame.  Overall, I feel like it is a very good origin story for most things we saw play out in IV-VI.  

I did watch some of Phantom Menace the other day and the effects and some of the dialogue, screen wipes, effects are pretty dated though and didnt age well.  If there is one thing I liked the least it was General Grievous.  WTH was that?  

I for one, actually did like a lot of II.  McGregor was good in his investigation of the clones and a really good climax of the trilogy was set up.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Eating lunch right now and wondering what those furbies taste like.
    I'm guessing that they don't taste very good. Stick to the jugs of green alien milk. That's the tits.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    I really hated the Mary Poppins In Space scene. Apart from the fact that it made zero sense for Leia to suddenly have these powers out of nowhere, it felt like they missed a perfect chance to write her out of the script. No disrespect to Carrie Fisher, but was there any need for her to be in the film at all after that point? 
    Plus, it would have solved the obvious problem of how to deal with Leia in Episode 9
    She has been in touch with the Force for more than 30 years, you don't think she toyed with some light telekinesis in that time?  She clearly didn't shut herself off from the Force, there are scenes which show she is still in touch.
    It literally makes more sense than saying the powers are sudden and from nowhere.

Even so...she didn't add anything to the rest of the movie. What was the point? So she used the force in a big dramatic moment to......just hang around for the final hour plus of the movie. Hooray!
    I agree, I've just been annoyed that people don't think Leia could pull off a simple Force pull.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    So my three favorite scenes are the one where Vader goes ballistic in R1.  In Empire when he meets Han in cloud city and blocks his laser blast and when Luke goes nuts on the barge in Jedi.

Movies ranked

V
    VI
    IV
    VII
    R1
    II
    VIII
    III
    I

That might be the highest I've ever seen anyone rank Attack of the Clones. That's why I love these lists. Everyone's tastes are so different.
    I'm a huge fan of Clones.  The story line is great to me.  It could have been so much better too!
    Too much CGI.
    If you do a little research you'll find that the prequels used a ton of practical effects.  The problem is that the story was so large with so many impractical situations and characters, and the real issue is that some of the CGI was pretty poorly rendered.
    I am one who defended/defends the prequels a bit.  I feel they were made in an impossible spot with way too much expectation.  No matter what they did it would have been crushed and people piled on I think because it became the 'accepted' way to think.  Anyone who admitted to liking them were lame.  Overall, I feel like it is a very good origin story for most things we saw play out in IV-VI.  

I did watch some of Phantom Menace the other day and the effects and some of the dialogue, screen wipes, effects are pretty dated though and didnt age well.  If there is one thing I liked the least it was General Grievous.  WTH was that?  

I for one, actually did like a lot of II.  McGregor was good in his investigation of the clones and a really good climax of the trilogy was set up.  
    Yeah, Grievous was bad, top to bottom.
    I didn't think Christopher Lee/Dooku was very good either.  Seemed shoehorned in both character and casting.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    I really hated the Mary Poppins In Space scene. Apart from the fact that it made zero sense for Leia to suddenly have these powers out of nowhere, it felt like they missed a perfect chance to write her out of the script. No disrespect to Carrie Fisher, but was there any need for her to be in the film at all after that point? 
    Plus, it would have solved the obvious problem of how to deal with Leia in Episode 9
    She has been in touch with the Force for more than 30 years, you don't think she toyed with some light telekinesis in that time?  She clearly didn't shut herself off from the Force, there are scenes which show she is still in touch.
    It literally makes more sense than saying the powers are sudden and from nowhere.

Even so...she didn't add anything to the rest of the movie. What was the point? So she used the force in a big dramatic moment to......just hang around for the final hour plus of the movie. Hooray!
    I agree, I've just been annoyed that people don't think Leia could pull off a simple Force pull.
    I never questioned if she could use the force or how powerful she was.  I question the fact that this was the lamest scene in any Star Wars movie.  Flat out ridiculous.  
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,880
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:

I never questioned if she could use the force or how powerful she was.  I question the fact that this was the lamest scene in any Star Wars movie.  Flat out ridiculous.  
    Gotta agree. It was so poorly executed I almost expect Jar Jar to pop up and exclaim, "Sheese a flyin'!"

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:

I think it's right up there.  They could have done the exact same thing but with different body position it would be so much better.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    JimmyV said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:

Gotta agree. It was so poorly executed I almost expect Jar Jar to pop up and exclaim, "Sheese a flyin'!"

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:

Exactly! :lol:

• Options
    Y'all will be surprised when they reveal Jar-Jar as the force behind the throne of the Sith.

You just friggin wait.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jar Jar undergoing a complete personality transformation and revealing himself to be the actual phantom menace could have been very cool. It would have scared the hell out of the little kiddies though and that is who his character was meant to entertain.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I agree with some of you that they should've let her die in space. She was pointless after that but then how would we have reunited her with Luke?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I agree with some of you that they should've let her die in space. She was pointless after that but then how would we have reunited her with Luke?
    Force ghosts?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Force ghosts?
    Yeah I thought that but Carrie isn't going to be in ep9 so not possible
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Seeing it for the second time tomorrow.
  • Options
    I just realized your avatar has Darth Halts Maul!!!! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!
  • Options
    I was flagging on the treadmill today after only 10 minutes, so I hopped on YouTube and dialed up a compilation of all the lightsaber duels in Star Wars and the next 40 minutes just melted away incredibly fast.
    I think I'll find a compilation of sword fights from movies like 300 and Troy (which sucked but had great fight choreography) for the next time I'm struggling.

There are some really cool fan-made Star Wars lightsaber battles on there too for those interested, Darth Maul vs 5 Jedi is a really good one.
  • Options
     <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/gu59xh2WULNmw" width="480" height="365" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/lightsaber-gu59xh2WULNmw">via GIPHY</a></p>
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    edited January 2018
    Well, Luke wasn't really there, was he? It was a projection of him, he was still on his yoga perch on the mountain.

They could have had Luke 'talking' to Leia while she was floating in space (the same way he heard Obi Wan's voice in IV). The last thing she would have heard before passing would have been Luke's voice.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Well, Luke wasn't really there, was he? It was a projection of him, he was still on his yoga perch on the mountain.

They could have had Luke 'talking' to Leia while she was floating in space (the same way he heard Obi Wan's voice in IV). The last thing she would have heard before passing would have been Luke's voice.
    That's an interesting idea. Done right that could have been beautiful.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    She has been in touch with the Force, and she has 'felt' things, but we've never actually seen her use it. If she had toyed with it, why not show it in a previous scene? If not in TFA, then at least an earlier scene in TLJ. I think it's fair to feel that it's a bit of a stretch to just spring this ability on us.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Anybody ever think it was weird when they say "may the force be with you" and NOBODY has the force?  It was an old and dead religion/power that hasn't been around for 2 generations sans Luke and Vader.
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    She has been in touch with the Force, and she has 'felt' things, but we've never actually seen her use it. If she had toyed with it, why not show it in a previous scene? If not in TFA, then at least an earlier scene in TLJ. I think it's fair to feel that it's a bit of a stretch to just spring this ability on us.
    I disagree, we can't have a scene of exposition for every such possibility.  In TFA she is shown to still be very connected to the Force, and light telekinesis is known to be a Padawan level skill.  
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    I disagree, we can't have a scene of exposition for every such possibility.  In TFA she is shown to still be very connected to the Force, and light telekinesis is known to be a Padawan level skill.  
    Is flying through space like a superhero really just "light telekinesis"? I get the idea that she simply latched onto the ship the way Luke latched onto his lightsaber in Empire. Still, he didn't fly through space like that. We've never seen anyone fly through space like that in a Star Wars movie. Maybe in one of the cartoons that I've never seen, perhaps.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    Is flying through space like a superhero really just "light telekinesis"? I get the idea that she simply latched onto the ship the way Luke latched onto his lightsaber in Empire. Still, he didn't fly through space like that. We've never seen anyone fly through space like that in a Star Wars movie. Maybe in one of the cartoons that I've never seen, perhaps.
    Zero G (mostly) vacuum, shouldn't take but a nice sharp tug comparable to Padawan skills.
    Jedi jump 20-30 feet in gravity, that's a far greater feat.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    rgambs said:
    goldrush said:
    Zero G (mostly) vacuum, shouldn't take but a nice sharp tug comparable to Padawan skills.
    Jedi jump 20-30 feet in gravity, that's a far greater feat.
    Assuming neither the explosion nor the vacuum didn't kill her instantly. Assuming she was somehow conscious in space to use these Padawan level skills. All of this makes it much harder than a trained Jedi jumping through gravity.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    I was flagging on the treadmill today after only 10 minutes, so I hopped on YouTube and dialed up a compilation of all the lightsaber duels in Star Wars and the next 40 minutes just melted away incredibly fast.
    I think I'll find a compilation of sword fights from movies like 300 and Troy (which sucked but had great fight choreography) for the next time I'm struggling.

There are some really cool fan-made Star Wars lightsaber battles on there too for those interested, Darth Maul vs 5 Jedi is a really good one.
    I saw one the other day of Obi Wan vs Vader in New Hope remade by fans. Pretty cool.
  • Options
    I just realized your avatar has Darth Halts Maul!!!! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!
    Glad someone noticed.