Options

First time poster!!! Need some love/good vibes only PJ fans can give!

adicksonadickson Posts: 5
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Hey guys, First-timer here, though I've been lurking for a while. Like most all of you, Pearl Jam has had an immesurable impact on my life, so I won't go into details. Saw my first concert at Lolla this past year and it blew me away!!! Anyway, that's not why I'm posting. I don't want to get too personal as this is my first post, but I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. My girlfriend, whom I love very much is leaving to study abroad in Switzerland for a semester. Oh, btw, I'm in North Carolina. We have both agreed to stick it out however much it sucks, but to be honest I"m a little scared. There's just a lot of anxiety and fear that goes along with a long, far separation. I was wondering if any of you all have had similar experiences and how/if you've dealt with them successfully. I don't want to get too personal by asking this, but from what i've read on other threads, you guys do really lend a helping hand to those who seek it. Oh, and are there any PJ songs that have helped you get through tough times? My first thought was Given to Fly or Down, but i guess there are so many. I'm sorry if this was a little long-winded, but I just wanted to say hey, I'm so glad to be here and any help would go a long way.

Peace and take care of each other.

adickson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    we all started with one post, no shame there. Long winded is our specialty here don't worry!

If you thought Lolla was good, holy shit we have a lot to teach you young PJedi. It was a good show yes, but you have a lot of great shows to hear.

I'd have said it like Yoda but I am too tired to think.

PJedi was a damn good idea though.

rules of the pit:
    Don't call others names, just make fun of what they said not them.

Search the threads before you post the inevitable your top ten-fifty ________(insert subject here) chances are someone already posted it and some windbag will call you out like you should know of some post from 2 years ago.

talk endlessly about pearl jam, we are all marks here, and we all love talking about pearl jam by golly!

there is a song title by your name, it will change with the amount of posts you make.

Don't get into politics with Roland....

BostonLou is on vacation, he is legendary you'll have to wait a few months to experience him at his finest

Heineken Helen really is Irish

anything with Sticky next to it is deemed important by the moderators

SpeedyMcready can type real real fast

you like typing posts with some special effects here is a link to the codes:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

We will bitch about everything no matter what

Oh yeah avoid the term Jamily (ughhhhh) it is like the North vs the South in terms of that word

start posting you have a long way to go to not be a GHOST

Have a fun time as there are a ton of real cool, generous, intelligent, people who hang around here.
  • Options
    veddermanvedderman Posts: 799
    welcome aboard!
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    what took you so long? :D
    j/k i'm a noob too, not for PJ, for the board. though i did post a bit during the Sony days.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    i wen't thru something similar but i was the one that left for about a yr to live in florida, not another country pj didn't exist then but anyway it was tough no doubt we were engaged at the time 16yrs later happily married to the same girl i was away from. if you truly believe as she does also that you are ment to be with each other you will make it thru ...it is weird though when you get back together it takes a bit of adjusment from both people ...good luck...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    we all started with one post, no shame there. Long winded is our specialty here don't worry!

If you thought Lolla was good, holy shit we have a lot to teach you young PJedi. It was a good show yes, but you have a lot of great shows to hear.

rules of the pit:

Search the threads before you post the inevitable your top ten-fifty ________(insert subject here) chances are someone already posted it and some windbag will call you out like you should know of some post from 2 years ago.

talk endlessly about pearl jam, we are all marks here, and we all love talking about pearl jam by golly!

there is a song title by your name, it will change with the amount of posts you make.

BostonLou is on vacation, he is legendary you'll have to wait a few months to experience him at his finest

Oh yeah avoid the term Jamily (ughhhhh) it is like the North vs the South in terms of that word

Have a fun time as there are a ton of real cool, generous, intelligent, people who hang around here.

Wow! I could have used all this advice when I first starting posting oh so long ago (1 year), heck, I still can't figure out how to make any face but a smiley! :)

and yes, Welcome!
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

10/21/06 & 10/22/06 (Bridge Shows)
  • Options
    welcome!!
    i was at lolla too ... great show, great experience...
    i hope you get to experience pj again soon!
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    your name makes me think you are a bad kid.

a dick son.

any truth to that or am i just crazy?
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Lolla was sick. I was the one blowing weed smoke up into the air...lol
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    Sweet Adeline: that is my actual last name. thought i'm reticent to give it out. it's "dickson". and yes, myself and my friends have got some mileage out of it. but if causes you amusement, then that's ok too :)
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I don't think PJ has good "Let's have a long distance relationship" songs. However, off the top of my head pop singles from the 70s are just loaded with that you-me-everywhere type stuff. The songs are so hokey, if you burned a CD of them that you sent to express your feelings to your girlfriend, then both of you would end up laughing laughing laughing in different time zones no less. In fact, if you time it right, you could be laughing at the same time space, but in different time calibration. Aha! Now that's interesting.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    yeah i got fucked over in one of those "long distance" things.

good luck though
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,852
    lolla rocked, i was front row, it was awesome, my fave concert of all that ive been to. so you had a great first show.

welcome!

gtf rocks as well, my fave song, so you have good taste my friend.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    adickson wrote:
    Sweet Adeline: that is my actual last name. thought i'm reticent to give it out. it's "dickson". and yes, myself and my friends have got some mileage out of it. but if causes you amusement, then that's ok too :)

nice, its a cool last name. rock on my man.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    hrd2imgn wrote:

rules of the pit:

You fucking rock!!! And, everything he said is true!!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    OnestabOnestab Posts: 19
    I'm new too.

Can someone post tips or links to existing threads that describe how to get started (or in my case) back into trading?
    Onestab
    "I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    1992, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2014, 2016 -- 13 and counting.
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Did someone say poster? lmao
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    Onestab wrote:
    I'm new too.

Can someone post tips or links to existing threads that describe how to get started (or in my case) back into trading?

there is a share thread somewhere on the Live section I think, tons of people with wants/haves
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    wazzup my brother
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    "Come Back" is a good "cry in your beer from missing someone" PJ song.

Welcome to the pit!

Peace,
    KJ
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i went through the same thing this past summer. my gf went to italy to study for 2 1/2 months. It sucked, no lie. But the bottom line is that these are the types of situations that you need to go through to build a relationship. I regret those months because the whole time i was worried that something would happened while she was over there. But, nothing did, and when she came back we were even closer. It's just one of those things you have to go through bro, it will make you much stronger. Just let her have her time over there, and use the time to rediscover yourself. Worry about staying busy and being creative and having fun and such and not about her, before you know it she'll be back. Down is a great song to get through tough times. Best of luck, i spent many of those long summer nights in the pit so remember it is always here like pj's music.

peace out
    $
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    WOW, thanks guys for the awesome advice and great welcome!!!