Options

First gig in a long-ass time

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited April 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Got a three-hour solo acoustic thing to play this Friday. I haven't played out in so long, I'm all kinds of rusty. I finalized my setlist and got my lyrics together and everything... just need to kick this damn cold so I can sing for that long. I figure I'll run through the whole set twice tomorrow and once earlier on Friday to get ready. Shit, it's been too long. I can't let myself go this much time between sets.

Anybody else got a show coming up? Anything besides throat-coat tea to get the throat working again?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    wow that is awesome. 3 hours solo acoustic. man i wish i could do that, as it would totally eliminate any interpersonal issues with guys in my bands. i am not much of a singer, but i am a pretty decent player, so i will never be able to pull off what you are about to do. i think the more you sing before the show the better prepared your voice will be, i am thinking you should have been practicing singing the last few weeks or so. i know captain hindsight is not very helpful now, so sorry lol...when my singers go prolonged periods without singing or stressing their voices they always have problems with long nights like you are about to have. best of luck man, i know you will knock em dead.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Man, a three hour solo gig is intense. My singing sounds like a dying cat, so the farthest I ever went was a two-piece. So best of luck to you!
    As I only do a little backgound singing in my band, it's not that important and I don't have to warm up or practice much. But we have a fairly short (45mins) but pretty important gig on Friday and our singer got struck down by a massive cold yesterday. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Jagermiester?

Seriously good luck with it. Should be a blast.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Jagermiester?

Seriously good luck with it. Should be a blast.
    ahhhhh jager, the nector of the gods. the singer in my main band is a jagerbomb fiend. i somehow doubt that that syrupy mixture has any benefits for his throat lol.... as you can tell by some of the videos i posted of my band a few weeks back... :oops:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    hot tea usually works for me when i'm fighting a cold & have a show. congrats on the gig, man. i've done a few 3 hour solo acoustic sets & they're always a lot of fun! have a great time!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Hot tea w/ lemon and honey (if you must sweeten it)

Gargle warm salt water...tastes like shit, and burns like hell, but beats the crap out of any cough drop or spray

Good luck!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    I've got tea, and I just picked up my old stand-by: room-temp Gatorade. Biggest thing about singing for that long is to stay hydrated. Once your mouth gets dry, you're sunk. And room-temp doesn't cause mucus buildup like cold drinks do.

Good point on the saltwater rinse, that will be my stand-by.

Now I just need to find my clip-on light for my music stand...
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    I smoke Marlboro Reds and drink straight Jack Daniels. In between sets, I try to snort at least a gram of blow. :twisted:
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:
    I smoke Marlboro Reds and drink straight Jack Daniels. In between sets, I try to snort at least a gram of blow. :twisted:

So long as it's not carbonated... nothing worse than burping into the mic in the middle of a song.
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    That's awesome man!! Supposedly Halls vitamin C cough drops are really good. There are a few sore throat sprays out there too that could get you through the end if the pipes are hurting later in the show.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    So, how did it go?
  • Options
    So, how did it go?

That's a good question... Response was all positive, so that's a good thing. In fact, several people were very enthusiastic about my performance, so I guess I connected with a few people.

Then again, I really messed up a couple songs... I'm seasoned enough to know how to fake it a little (thanks, Eddie, for your "I forgot the lyrics" methods), but I couldn't believe I messed up so bad. Then again, I don't think anyone noticed.

My throat definitely took a hit. I spritzed with Cloraseptic a couple times, and stayed wet with room-temp Gatorade. But it hurts today, and it probably will thru the weekend. Fortunately, I didn't lose my voice, which was a strong possibility. But I did make it through the end of the gig without going completely hoarse. I did start to lose some voice about 2/3's of the way thru my set, but I just played a couple safer vocal tunes, took a break, and came back.

I think I could probably do an hour and a half pretty easy; last night I sang for probably 2:20 over an event that lasted 3 hours.
  • Options
    Set list? Or at least some highlight songs? Was it a bar?
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    Set list? Or at least some highlight songs? Was it a bar?

I performed as the "live entertainment" of a benefit silent auction for a battered women's shelter. It was held in the foyer of a local theater. I was socked away in a corner of an upstairs balcony, so I was kind of removed from the audience a bit, which was weird; it's always odd to perform live but be disconnected from the crowd.

Setlist: Nutshell, Alice in Chains; Trouble, Cat Stevens (but based on Eddie's version); I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You, Colin Hay; You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Beatles; Another Lonely Day, Ben Harper; American Girl, Tom Petty; Black, Pearl Jam; 2 original songs; Rocky Raccoon, Beatles; Such Great Heights, Iron & Wine (I know, the song is actually the Postal Service); Long As I Can See the Light, Creedence; Maybe I'm Amazed, Paul McCartney; Off He Goes, Pearl Jam; The Scientist, Coldplay; Running to Stand Still, U2; Everlong, Foo Fighters; Call and Answer, Barenaked Ladies; Fix You, Coldplay; Won't Back Down, Tom Petty; Pamphleteer, the Weakerthans; Waiting on an Angel, Ben Harper; Window, Damien Jurado; Release, Pearl Jam; Evaporated, Ben Folds Five; Name, Goo Goo Dolls; Raining In Baltimore, Counting Crows; 1979, Smashing Pumpkins; Come Together, Beatles; Blackbird, Beatles (by request); Under the Bridge, Red Hot Chili Peppers; Talk Tonight, Oasis; Wind Cries Mary, Jimi Hendrix; Songbird, Fleetwood Mac; I Can't Get Over You, Damien Jurado; Pale Blue Eyes, Velvet Underground; Heaven, Bryan Adams.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i don't know some of those but i would have enjoyed that set. bonus marks for playing talk tonight. i used to as well.
  • Options
    Cool setlist. I think I would've enjoyed this.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Looks like a great set!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    It's definitely a people-pleaser setlist. Enough different stuff to cover lots of bases, and a few oddball tracks to keep it interesting. Unfortunately, I can't adapt more of my original material for solo performance. I probably ought to start writing new stuff for myself, since I haven't got a band.
  • Options
    Slipping in The Weakerthans, nice....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Options
    I saw them backing Jim Bryson about a month ago. Great set!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options

Thats freaking awesome. They played Detroit about a year ago, and I passed on going, because I couldn't find anyone to attend. Big big mistake

• Options

Thats freaking awesome. They played Detroit about a year ago, and I passed on going, because I couldn't find anyone to attend. Big big mistake

I saw them in Seattle a couple years back, it was pretty awesome. I love that they've remained kinda underground, even after all these years.
  • Options
    Thats freaking awesome. They played Detroit about a year ago, and I passed on going, because I couldn't find anyone to attend. Big big mistake[/quote]

I saw them in Seattle a couple years back, it was pretty awesome. I love that they've remained kinda underground, even after all these years.[/quote]

I heard of them through you guys here at the board. If I didn't have so much bad luck going to downtown Detroit concerts the two previous time's I would of went. Someday I'll check them out.

• Options

I saw them in Seattle a couple years back, it was pretty awesome. I love that they've remained kinda underground, even after all these years.[/quote]

I heard of them through you guys here at the board. If I didn't have so much bad luck going to downtown Detroit concerts the two previous time's I would of went. Someday I'll check them out.[/quote]
    Luckily I'm up in Ottawa, so they're here pretty often.
  • Options

I saw them in Seattle a couple years back, it was pretty awesome. I love that they've remained kinda underground, even after all these years.

I heard of them through you guys here at the board. If I didn't have so much bad luck going to downtown Detroit concerts the two previous time's I would of went. Someday I'll check them out.[/quote]
    Luckily I'm up in Ottawa, so they're here pretty often.[/quote]

Oh how I envy.... Not sure if I'm just getting old and am not as into heading to small club shows or what. But I definitely don't travel to Cleveland (2 hours), Columbus (2 hours) or Detroit (1 hour) very often anymore.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm 20, so basically as long as school shit's done, I can head to small clubs on a weekly basis... Montreal and Toronto get better acts, but Ottawa's slowly getting better, and the advantage is we USUALLY get the Canadian bands in smaller venues than the big cities.
  • Options
    Rocky Raccoon FTW!
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    Rocky Raccoon FTW!
    Reviving this thread! I think I'm playing a kind of covers set opening for a friend's band, and Rocky Raccoon is definitely on the list.
  • Options
    Rocky Raccoon FTW!
    Reviving this thread! I think I'm playing a kind of covers set opening for a friend's band, and Rocky Raccoon is definitely on the list.
    SWEET!

• Options
    savmansavman Posts: 230
    Excellent set list MIG! :D

Loving Running to stand still. Brilliant song