** updated COLLEGE BASKETBALL 2023 / 2024. **

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    They recruited Zion longer and harder (that's what she said lol) than we did. Plus, his stepdad has been prominent in the process and he played at Clemson. From what I've heard, his mom just wants him in state, doesn't matter where.

If I take off the garnet glasses and look at it objectively, he should go to Kansas. Bill Self has taken similar players in size, skills, talent, etc and had them as lottery picks the next year. Self's offense would showcase him appropriately with other very high caliber players.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • They recruited Zion longer and harder (that's what she said lol) than we did. Plus, his stepdad has been prominent in the process and he played at Clemson. From what I've heard, his mom just wants him in state, doesn't matter where.

If I take off the garnet glasses and look at it objectively, he should go to Kansas. Bill Self has taken similar players in size, skills, talent, etc and had them as lottery picks the next year. Self's offense would showcase him appropriately with other very high caliber players.
    I didn't know that about his step dad. I knew his father played football at NC State, though.  Oh well. It's only for one year but I just don't understand the decision, even with the family connection. Why wouldn't you want to play somewhere with an amazing hoops history? 
    I'm through with screaming
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    oh hell...the giant “V” ^^^^

in other news, one of my WYO cowboys has a jimi hendrix tat.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • They recruited Zion longer and harder (that's what she said lol) than we did. Plus, his stepdad has been prominent in the process and he played at Clemson. From what I've heard, his mom just wants him in state, doesn't matter where.

Welp. :lol:

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited January 2018
    They recruited Zion longer and harder (that's what she said lol) than we did. Plus, his stepdad has been prominent in the process and he played at Clemson. From what I've heard, his mom just wants him in state, doesn't matter where.

Welp. :lol:

I expected it to be Clemson, but it's not a surprise that he picked Duke. According to some of the articles written about it, he was really high on Duke at the beginning. I post on a Gamecock message board too and actually predicted Duke. Somewhere along the way Clemson took the lead, but Coach Buyavowel had a really strong final sales pitch. I do find it funny that he said he was going to "shock the world" when he committed. It's shocking for the #2 player to choose Clemson or South Carolina...Duke, not so much.

Oh well, life goes on. We've played much better the last few games. Hope we can keep it up.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
    I can’t see sean miller surviving this. continuing the proud tradition of “midnight” lute olson.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:
    I can’t see sean miller surviving this. continuing the proud tradition of “midnight” lute olson.
    he will never coach again and if he is lucky wont go to federal prison for bribery.  how do you a coach a guy in college who you paid 100k to get?  it's gonna be real interesting how many coaches get pulled into this.  i can see a lot of retirements at the end of this year like Izzo and Coach K.
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    he will never coach again and if he is lucky wont go to federal prison for bribery.  how do you a coach a guy in college who you paid 100k to get?  it's gonna be real interesting how many coaches get pulled into this.  i can see a lot of retirements at the end of this year like Izzo and Coach K.

I don’t see any prison time but, as I said, I would imagine he’s done.

gotta use a burner phone.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    GO BLUE!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:

gotta use the assistant coaches like Pitino did. amateur move by Miller.  i can't wait to see what big name coaches go down with this. i think it might be some huge names.
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:

gotta use the assistant coaches like Pitino did. amateur move by Miller.  i can't wait to see what big name coaches go down with this. i think it might be some huge names.

really, tho, doesn’t the FBI have better things to do?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited February 2018
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    Just for argument sake: what if Miller was caught on Wire-Tap only saying he'll pay Ayton $100K , but the Feds have no proof he was actually paid? Then what?

Even if the NBA gets rid of the one-and-done, which they should, ther will still be rouge Agents. But, i think it would help.
  • pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    I don't see this at all. Both schools have already looked into the allegations and found nothing. It's a shame these schools are being brought into this crap with people who took thousands of dollars. 
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    I don't see this at all. Both schools have already looked into the allegations and found nothing. It's a shame these schools are being brought into this crap with people who took thousands of dollars. 
    so you trust Michigan State's own investigation? this is the same athletic department who buried rape, sexual assault and assaults by their players and an assistant coach.  Before all this crap I thought Coach K looked worn out this year and was on the verge of retirement. I think this just pushes him along. 
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    Just for argument sake: what if Miller was caught on Wire-Tap only saying he'll pay Ayton $100K , but the Feds have no proof he was actually paid? Then what?

Even if the NBA gets rid of the one-and-done, which they should, ther will still be rouge Agents. But, i think it would help.
    I don't think the payment matters.  If it's that clear that he offered a bribe  I think that at least is conspiracy.  it's just a matter of who the feds want to bring down.  As i understand it the investigation started as a larger financial crimes case.  

I think college sports needs to have agents register like the pros do and allow players to have agents. that being said even if you pay players the cheating will never stop at the highest levels.  It's be going on forever and the big boys will just find new creative ways to do it.
    I don't think basketball players should be paid but I also don't think they should have to do the one year charade. let HS kids try to go straight to the NBA. otherwise, your college scholarship is your "payment"...you can either use it as a pathway to the NBA or a pathway to a degree.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    He will coach again. There are plenty of desperate programs out there. There are a lot of coaches who have done a lot worse who got other chances. 
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    so you trust Michigan State's own investigation? this is the same athletic department who buried rape, sexual assault and assaults by their players and an assistant coach.  Before all this crap I thought Coach K looked worn out this year and was on the verge of retirement. I think this just pushes him along. 
    I honestly don't know a lot about Michigan State other than what Izzo said about this particular situation with Bridges. However I've been following Duke since Coach K. Wendell Carter's family had dinner with an agent and when things became weird, they left before any food was served. This sort of situation being lumped in with kids taking thousands of dollars from agents is absurd. Is there illegal recruiting and bribery taking place in college basketball? Absolutely. Someone should follow all of this money back to the shoe companies, for one. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:

I don't think the payment matters.  If it's that clear that he offered a bribe  I think that at least is conspiracy.  it's just a matter of who the feds want to bring down.  As i understand it the investigation started as a larger financial crimes case.  

I think college sports needs to have agents register like the pros do and allow players to have agents. that being said even if you pay players the cheating will never stop at the highest levels.  It's be going on forever and the big boys will just find new creative ways to do it.
    Yes, cheating has gone on forever. And i agree: the big boys will continue to cheat. 

It cracked me up when i was watching the Arizona game when the announcers were saying that Arizona cleared Ayton to play. No shit!!>At this point of the season you may as well play him, even if they find out he did take money, because they will forfeit the games anyway. Now, if this came out after about 5-10 games would Arizona sit him out? 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Oklahoma and Trae Young.  Steady decline from him.

I do believe that teams have found a way to contain him and he does not have an answer.

He looks to have peaked and that's a shame as I thought he was going to be something special...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Free Sean Miller
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    BYU is loaded with hateable players, but TJ Haws is the worst. someone did a tribute video after TJ yelled at a heckler to “shut the eff up!”

https://twitter.com/_badsoup_/status/969314811254267904

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    why was the Big 10 tournament held in NYC and like a week earlier?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

the answer to all questions is “money.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Wobbie said:

That's correct!!!!!  What a joke!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:

There's only one tournament worthy of playing on that stage...
    I think they're moving back to Chicago or Indianapolis next year
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Wobbie said:

There's only one tournament worthy of playing on that stage...
    I think they're moving back to Chicago or Indianapolis next year
    Yes, you're correct about the location.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Same reason the ACC tournament is at Barclay's.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710

Same reason the ACC tournament is at Barclay's.
    which is?  money?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly