Options

Anniversary Downloads - Studio Albums 'Live'

Comments

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Disc%2B2.jpg

Hi!

With help from other board members, Cameron4President and I have been putting some time into compiling a series of MP3 collections that pull together 'Live' versions of a Pearl Jam studio album. The challenge has been to select some great live performances which capture the mood or sound of an era, whilst also working well together and flowing as a single 'album'. Cameron4President and I are very pleased with the albums we have put together so far; and we have been working on them here on the message board as a kind of 'long-distance' online collaborative project.

I think Cameron4President deserves some serious credit for leading on this - making the general idea a reality, putting in a lot of time, gathering together and selecting a lot of alternative live versions, creating artwork, uploading them, and hosting them on his bootlegs blog:

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com

He has produced some great collections we can all listen to, share, discuss and enjoy.

Having just completed 'Ten Live: Then and Now', I thought it would be good to present you with the download links all in one place – for those who are interested in listening. This concept may not appeal to everyone, but we think it works well. No doubt there are better versions which would have worked great together and produced something different, so if you are interested in a making suggestions on future projects, feel free to participate – since we have been making the decisions together here online, based on the feedback posted on the board.

Here are the links to the projects so far:

'Mixed Metaphor: Backspacer Live'

Backspacer+Live7.jpg

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... pacer.html

(Our first collaborative project – we tried to find strong performances which captured the raw energy of the recent tour, and include some cracking versions of some of the Backspacer songs which may not be so popular amongst Backspacer doubters. Have a listen and see what you think of this alternative version of the album. A different show for each song, some choice covers as bonus material to round things off. Dedicated to Dr Stip Zoidberg off of Red Mosquito!)

'Turpentine and Nepotism: Vs. live'

Vs+Live6.jpg

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... -live.html

(A difficult project to work on, particularly due to the strength of the famous 'Fox' Atlanta broadcast. We took the Fox as the core of the project, and added performances from the Vs era which we thought sounded good, captured the times, and still work together as a listenable album. A barnstorming collection! Vs-era covers as bonus tracks.)

'Ten Live: Then and Now'

Disc%2B1.jpg

Disc 1 ('Then')

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-1.html

Disc 2 ('Now')

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-2.html

(Cameron4President's idea to put side by side performances from the Ten era, with those from the recent backspacer tour. It's interesting to hear how far we've come. Disc one is a 'Live Ten' from the Ten era, with Dave A on drums, Disc two is today's lineup, with Matt Cameron showing his qualities, and drawing from the 2009 / 2010 Backspacer shows. Two very different listening experiences...... Intense!!)

I will update this page with more links if we put together any more collections. Feel free to join in in the future with song selections or feedback on how the mix is working out. The more input the better, and the more interesting the project is to work on.....

:D
    Bump for those who may have missed this earlier in the week!!
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257

Mixed Metaphor has definitely been playing quite a bit on my iPod. "Speed of Sound" is a great sounding mixture of both the demo version and the actual album track.

Agreed.

The double live Ten still needs a couple more listens.
    The live Vs is great !! Love this RVM. Best version ever to me. Quite a shock ! Stuck on repeat.... Possibly a reason why I'm still not through the live Ten yet :lol:

You guys did an awesome job there.
    Thanx a lot !
  • Options
    Thanks for not just creating this, but also working to get it distributed to people. I've just started listening, but so far I'm impressed. Too often things like this get made and then buried.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    myra wrote:

Mixed Metaphor has definitely been playing quite a bit on my iPod. "Speed of Sound" is a great sounding mixture of both the demo version and the actual album track.

Agreed.

The double live Ten still needs a couple more listens.
    The live Vs is great !! Love this RVM. Best version ever to me. Quite a shock ! Stuck on repeat.... Possibly a reason why I'm still not through the live Ten yet :lol:

You guys did an awesome job there.
    Thanx a lot !

Thanks

The Live Ten was quite difficult to get right I think, because of having the two discs to worry about - and so much material. I think Mixed Metaphor works the best as a complete piece - but for me it's partly because the album is not yet so familiar either.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    Thanks for not just creating this, but also working to get it distributed to people. I've just started listening, but so far I'm impressed. Too often things like this get made and then buried.

Thanks - we'll try not to let this get buried before we move onto the next one. Cameron4President has something in the pipeline ;) ... *rubs hands* - you're gonna like this one!! :D Think he's gonna share his idea at the weekend. In the meantime... plenty to listen to here!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Disc%2B2.jpg

Hi!

With help from other board members, Cameron4President and I have been putting some time into compiling a series of MP3 collections that pull together 'Live' versions of a Pearl Jam studio album. The challenge has been to select some great live performances which capture the mood or sound of an era, whilst also working well together and flowing as a single 'album'. Cameron4President and I are very pleased with the albums we have put together so far; and we have been working on them here on the message board as a kind of 'long-distance' online collaborative project.

I think Cameron4President deserves some serious credit for leading on this - making the general idea a reality, putting in a lot of time, gathering together and selecting a lot of alternative live versions, creating artwork, uploading them, and hosting them on his bootlegs blog:

He has produced some great collections we can all listen to, share, discuss and enjoy.

Having just completed 'Ten Live: Then and Now', I thought it would be good to present you with the download links all in one place – for those who are interested in listening. This concept may not appeal to everyone, but we think it works well. No doubt there are better versions which would have worked great together and produced something different, so if you are interested in a making suggestions on future projects, feel free to participate – since we have been making the decisions together here online, based on the feedback posted on the board.

Backspacer+Live7.jpg

(Our first collaborative project – we tried to find strong performances which captured the raw energy of the recent tour, and include some cracking versions of some of the Backspacer songs which may not be so popular amongst Backspacer doubters. Have a listen and see what you think of this alternative version of the album. A different show for each song, some choice covers as bonus material to round things off. Dedicated to Dr Stip Zoidberg off of Red Mosquito!)

Vs+Live6.jpg

(A difficult project to work on, particularly due to the strength of the famous 'Fox' Atlanta broadcast. We took the Fox as the core of the project, and added performances from the Vs era which we thought sounded good, captured the times, and still work together as a listenable album. A barnstorming collection! Vs-era covers as bonus tracks.)

Disc%2B1.jpg

Disc 1 ('Then')

Disc 2 ('Now')

(Cameron4President's idea to put side by side performances from the Ten era, with those from the recent backspacer tour. It's interesting to hear how far we've come. Disc one is a 'Live Ten' from the Ten era, with Dave A on drums, Disc two is today's lineup, with Matt Cameron showing his qualities, and drawing from the 2009 / 2010 Backspacer shows. Two very different listening experiences...... Intense!!)

I will update this page with more links if we put together any more collections. Feel free to join in in the future with song selections or feedback on how the mix is working out. The more input the better, and the more interesting the project is to work on.....

Bump for those who may have missed this earlier in the week!!

Bump! something to listen to over the weekend

• Options
    Soulfire42 wrote:

You are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to check our project out. Tremors and I have really enjoyed doing this.

tremors wrote:
    Thanks - we'll try not to let this get buried before we move onto the next one. Cameron4President has something in the pipeline ;) ... *rubs hands* - you're gonna like this one!! :D Think he's gonna share his idea at the weekend. In the meantime... plenty to listen to here!!

Speaking of our "newest idea"... Even though I said that I wouldn't start it until Monday, I have been toying around with the cover art for the project and listening to a bunch of songs, including a little "Self Pollution" :twisted:
  • Options
    Soulfire42 wrote:

You are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to check our project out. Tremors and I have really enjoyed doing this.

tremors wrote:

Speaking of our "newest idea"... Even though I said that I wouldn't start it until Monday, I have been toying around with the cover art for the project and listening to a bunch of songs, including a little "Self Pollution" :twisted:

Go on, tell the people about your idea... (when you're ready!). Probably needs its own thread mind.

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Soulfire42 wrote:

tremors wrote:

Go on, tell the people about your idea... (when you're ready!). Probably needs its own thread mind.
    I think that I will start a thread for it on Saturday.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

I think that I will start a thread for it on Saturday.

Fair play. You're a hard man. Firm, but fair! ;)

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    locked wrote:
    You guys are the balls!
    Great job!
    Thank you for all of the awesome suggestions (Porch from Cleveland, and Release from Boston). Tremors and I had it sounding good, but your suggestions made it "Kick Ass".

aw shucks..

its a blessing and a curse this PJ bootleg fever..

with all the bootlegs I collect, its the compliations that I play the most..
    easiest way to relive a particular PJ Tour.. (or tours).
    Otherwise the full show CD's gather dust in a storage box under my bed..

and hats off to you "spreading the jam".. I have no doubt the band would approve..

Keep it rolling!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    locked wrote:
    You guys are the balls!
    Great job!
    Thank you for all of the awesome suggestions (Porch from Cleveland, and Release from Boston). Tremors and I had it sounding good, but your suggestions made it "Kick Ass".

aw shucks..

and hats off to you "spreading the jam".. I have no doubt the band would approve..

Keep it rolling!

Well it's good for us, because you guys that know the bootlegs inside out can help to identify versions where the compilation may be flagging etc. I have listened to loads of boots in my time, but I find they can get overloading after a while, so I tend to dip in and out, and don't always remember. For these collections I was mainly listening right through with a 'fresh ear' after other people have selected some core tracks. ie - how does it work as an 'album'? What has been most interesting to me is that individual performances which may stand out in a show don't always seem to work if you just put them all together next to one another. I think I said in one of the other threads, when we first had the core of Mixed Metaphor I listened through and thought maybe we were listening to the 'Hulk Hogan' soundtrack! Then when Cam4Pres introduced a more simmering version of Johnny Guitar, things started to get cooking!

So it's an interesting process to get involved in, trying to get kick ass versions, without losing the subtlety and 'tension' which is there in the studio. The Live Ten disc 2 is an interesting one, because so many of those songs come into the shows as 'high points'. I find our version quite tough listening, since it is a pretty 'heavy' sound I think - starts thundering and slow, and then seems to build up. By the time it gets to your Porch, like I said above - the thing is completely on Fire! When I have been listening to the overall thing, my starting point has been does the 'song' move me, and get me thinking about the message, and stirred up like the best versions I've heard. I'm big on the songs, the singing, lyrics, and PJ meanings - the 'Eddie' side I guess, whereas Cameron4President has a better ear for the overall sound, the full music - the kickass playing etc - which is why I think it has worked quite well so far. I'm never gonna tolerate a version with sloppy vocals, whereas he will reject a version with sloppy playing.

Anyway - we think they are really good listens overall, but we can definitely improve them in the future with more people involved in the different stages - the more perspectives the better! Watch out for a new announcement on the next project from Cameron4President tomorrow!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    locked wrote:
    locked wrote:
    You guys are the balls!
    Great job!

aw shucks..

Keep it rolling!

Well it's good for us, because you guys that know the bootlegs inside out can help to identify versions where the compilation may be flagging etc. I have listened to loads of boots in my time, but I find they can get overloading after a while, so I tend to dip in and out, and don't always remember. For these collections I was mainly listening right through with a 'fresh ear' after other people have selected some core tracks. ie - how does it work as an 'album'? What has been most interesting to me is that individual performances which may stand out in a show don't always seem to work if you just put them all together next to one another. I think I said in one of the other threads, when we first had the core of Mixed Metaphor I listened through and thought maybe we were listening to the 'Hulk Hogan' soundtrack! Then when Cam4Pres introduced a more simmering version of Johnny Guitar, things started to get cooking!

So it's an interesting process to get involved in, trying to get kick ass versions, without losing the subtlety and 'tension' which is there in the studio. The Live Ten disc 2 is an interesting one, because so many of those songs come into the shows as 'high points'. I find our version quite tough listening, since it is a pretty 'heavy' sound I think - starts thundering and slow, and then seems to build up. By the time it gets to your Porch, like I said above - the thing is completely on Fire! When I have been listening to the overall thing, my starting point has been does the 'song' move me, and get me thinking about the message, and stirred up like the best versions I've heard. I'm big on the songs, the singing, lyrics, and PJ meanings - the 'Eddie' side I guess, whereas Cameron4President has a better ear for the overall sound, the full music - the kickass playing etc - which is why I think it has worked quite well so far. I'm never gonna tolerate a version with sloppy vocals, whereas he will reject a version with sloppy playing.

Anyway - we think they are really good listens overall, but we can definitely improve them in the future with more people involved in the different stages - the more perspectives the better! Watch out for a new announcement on the next project from Cameron4President tomorrow!

Yeah, we will be announcing our next project tomorrow. I will start a thread to describe the project and to get ideas. I think that everybody will really like our new idea and I hope that we get a lot of feedback and suggestions for it like we did for the last project. I am really excited to start this one.
  • Options

Yeah, we will be announcing our next project tomorrow. I will start a thread to describe the project and to get ideas. I think that everybody will really like our new idea and I hope that we get a lot of feedback and suggestions for it like we did for the last project. I am really excited to start this one.

That sounds great. Look forward to it!

• Options
    hey
    ive listened to the live ten and i love it, cannot stop listening
    thanks so much for going to all the effort to create it
    its really great
    cant wait to hear the new project
    keep it up !
    going to listen to the live vs now :)
  • Options
    hey
    its really great
    keep it up !
    Thank you so much for the kind words and I am glad that you are enjoying them. They were a lot of fun to do and because we get such nice respones like these, Tremors and I plan to keep on doing these compilations for some time to come. Thanks and check back tomorrow for our newest idea.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Disc%2B2.jpg

Hi!

Backspacer+Live7.jpg

Vs+Live6.jpg

Disc%2B1.jpg

Disc 1 ('Then')

Disc 2 ('Now')

Weekend Bump for anybody who hasn't downloaded their copies. Enjoy...
  • Options
    hey
    its really great
    keep it up !

Glad you are enjoying them. and welcome!

• Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Listened to Mixed Metaphor again today, and cannot get enough of Supersonic and Speed of Sound, especially Supersonic. I love when they play like that. I probably wouldn't hear this version if it wasn't on this mix. :P
  • Options
    gecko wrote:
    Listened to Mixed Metaphor again today, and cannot get enough of Supersonic and Speed of Sound, especially Supersonic. I love when they play like that. I probably wouldn't hear this version if it wasn't on this mix. :P

Agreed. I'd not heard this version of Supersonic before either - but I think it's easily the best one I've heard, and I really look forward that song coming up on this compilation now.

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Soulfire42 wrote:

The new idea's thread can be found here:
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144128&p=3304936#p3304936
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Soulfire42 wrote:

The new idea's thread can be found here:
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 6#p3304936

Cool, will go and take a look right now!!

• Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    cool, will check it out later, often thought of doing the same thing with you tube clip, but could never get around to it. so i'll definatly have a look, next chance i get.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Disc%2B2.jpg

Hi!

Backspacer+Live7.jpg

Vs+Live6.jpg

Disc%2B1.jpg

Disc 1 ('Then')

Disc 2 ('Now')

My FINAL BUMP for this thread. Got live compilations if you need them :D
  • Options
    We can always bring it back up once we have the Vitalogy era compilation finished off :D

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    We can always bring it back up once we have the Vitalogy era compilation finished off :D

Most definitely, we will revive this thread when the new project is up and available.
  • Options
    Just in case anyone wants something to listen to while waiting!!

• Options
    (Front page updated)

'The Theory of Vitalogy'

The%2BTheory%2Bof%2BVitalogy.jpg

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... alogy.html

(Given that it was never going to be possible to recreate the studio album 'live' due to certain tracks never having played live, we followed Cameron4President's lead, and compiled a Vitalogy era collection known as 'The Theory of Vitalogy' which took some sounds, style and some atmosphere from the Self Pollution Radio broadcast (and those times). Kicking off with some swearing and an early 'Jack Irons' Chant – this collection takes the studio album tracklist as its backbone but messes it up a bit, draws heavily on live performances which showcase Jack Irons' memorable playing, and some key performances from the Self Pollution show. With a lot of input and help from other forum members, Myra joined the core team, and after much agonising about tracklist and songs, we have produced our favourite collection yet. A notable omission has been nothingman :( which partly bit the dust due to inferior sound quality in the performances from the selected era, and partly because we wanted to upset people! (joke!). Hope you enjoy!)

Warning: Features explicit content on several occasions. ;)

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    (Front page updated)

'The Theory of Vitalogy'

(Given that it was never going to be possible to recreate the studio album 'live' due to certain tracks never having played live, we followed Cameron4President's lead, and compiled a Vitalogy era collection known as 'The Theory of Vitalogy' which took some sounds, style and some atmosphere from the Self Pollution Radio broadcast (and those times). Kicking off with some swearing and an early 'Jack Irons' Chant – this collection takes the studio album tracklist as its backbone but messes it up a bit, draws heavily on live performances which showcase Jack Irons' memorable playing, and some key performances from the Self Pollution show. With a lot of input and help from other forum members, Myra joined the core team, and after much agonising about tracklist and songs, we have produced our favourite collection yet. A notable omission has been nothingman :( which partly bit the dust due to inferior sound quality in the performances from the selected era, and partly because we wanted to upset people! (joke!). Hope you enjoy!)

Bump!!
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Disc%2B2.jpg

Latest Download: The Theory of Vitalogy (26.11.2010)

Hi!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Backspacer+Live7.jpg

Vs+Live6.jpg

Disc%2B1.jpg

Disc 1 ('Then')

Disc 2 ('Now')

'The Theory of Vitalogy'

Music for the Weekend. Enjoy..