Options

Formula One Freaks-this is it!

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Niiice, I like it.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Read a decent article on the DRS (Drag Reduction System, aka moveable rear wings). The wings will be used unrestricted during practice and qually, and during the race they're restricted to being used in specific locations on the track, and the car using it will need to be within 1 second of another car (computer automated, of course).

Also there will be 6 colour codes for Pirelli tires, as depicted by the writing on the sides.

Wet - orange
    Intermediate - light blue
    Super soft - red
    Soft - yellow
    Medium - white
    Hard - silver
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Rygar wrote:
    Read a decent article on the DRS (Drag Reduction System, aka moveable rear wings). The wings will be used unrestricted during practice and qually, and during the race they're restricted to being used in specific locations on the track, and the car using it will need to be within 1 second of another car (computer automated, of course).

Is the 1 within second to give the car behind in the bad air a chance to pass? If that's the case then I like it.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Is the 1 within second to give the car behind in the bad air a chance to pass? If that's the case then I like it.
    Yup, trailing car within 1 second of leading car at a specific point(s?) on the track will enable the DRS.
    I'm not sure if they've got it set up so it's just one spot on the track or multiple spots. I hope multiple spots.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Rygar wrote:
    The wings will be used unrestricted during practice and qually, and during the race they're restricted to being used in specific locations on the track, and the car using it will need to be within 1 second of another car (computer automated, of course).
    Not sure I like those rules. Sounds like a clusterf**k. Let em race and use the technology as they see fit.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    The wings will be used unrestricted during practice and qually, and during the race they're restricted to being used in specific locations on the track, and the car using it will need to be within 1 second of another car (computer automated, of course).
    Not sure I like those rules. Sounds like a clusterf**k. Let em race and use the technology as they see fit.
    I was thinking that if it was all on it would only serve to widen the gap between the top 7 teams and the 3 newbs, but I guess if someone was willing to sacrifice downforce for speed in a crazy corner it'd make things entertaining.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I was thinking that if it was all on it would only serve to widen the gap between the top 7 teams and the 3 newbs, but I guess if someone was willing to sacrifice downforce for speed in a crazy corner it'd make things entertaining.
    Or as they exit a turn. Open the wing, hit the KERS and bye bye. Might see some top speed records set this year.
    Id guess the rule is safety related. Id guess they will choose strait sections of the track. Otherwise, you will have kobayashi and petrov trying to blow through the chicanes with less wing and hitting the KERS. :lol:

EDIT: one another note, I just picked up my new Acura RDX and it has F1 paddle shifters, woo hoo! :lol:
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Or as they exit a turn. Open the wing, hit the KERS and bye bye. Might see some top speed records set this year.
    Id guess the rule is safety related. Id guess they will choose strait sections of the track. Otherwise, you will have kobayashi and petrov trying to blow through the chicanes with less wing and hitting the KERS. :lol:

EDIT: one another note, I just picked up my new Acura RDX and it has F1 paddle shifters, woo hoo! :lol:
    haha nice!

Difference is Kobayashi would make the chicane ;)
  • Options
    Back to the DRS I can see it now:

Bob Varsha: Schumacher is gaining on Button, less than a second behind.
    Steve Matchett: Yes, Bob what that means is that the DRS system allowing for modification of the rear wing has been enabled. Fascinating stuff. Lets see if he uses it.
    Bob Varsha: And there goes Schumacher past Button.
    David Hobbs: Yes. Well done old boy. Im sure Jenson is not happy about that.

Bob Varsha: And now Button is gaining on Scumacher, less than a second behind.
    Steve Matchett: Yes, Bob, as we mentioned, he is picking up speed by making a slight adjustment to the rear wing and reducing downforce. Fascinating stuff.
    Bob Varsha: And there goes Button past Schumacher, one of the most difficult drivers to pass in all of formula one.
    David Hobbs: Yes. Well done Jenson. Im sure ole Schumy is not pleased.

Bob Varsha: Schumacher is gaining on Button, less than a second behind......................

you get the idea
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Back to the DRS I can see it now:

Bob Varsha: Schumacher is gaining on Button, less than a second behind.
    Steve Matchett: Yes, Bob what that means is that the DRS system allowing for modification of the rear wing has been enabled. Fascinating stuff. Lets see if he uses it.
    Bob Varsha: And there goes Schumacher past Button.
    David Hobbs: Yes. Well done old boy. Im sure Jenson is not happy about that.

Bob Varsha: And now Button is gaining on Scumacher, less than a second behind.
    Steve Matchett: Yes, Bob, as we mentioned, he is picking up speed by making a slight adjustment to the rear wing and reducing downforce. Fascinating stuff.
    Bob Varsha: And there goes Button past Schumacher, one of the most difficult drivers to pass in all of formula one.
    David Hobbs: Yes. Well done Jenson. Im sure ole Schumy is not pleased.

Bob Varsha: Schumacher is gaining on Button, less than a second behind......................

you get the idea
    Yep, good impressions too haha
  • Options
    So are we officially getting it in High Def in North America on our channels?

http://formulaone.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... efinition/
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:

Speed channel indicates it will be broadcast in HD. http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/date/2011-3-25

Not sure which channel broadcasts F1 in Canada-check the listing, it should indicate HD or not.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

Speed channel indicates it will be broadcast in HD. http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/date/2011-3-25

Not sure which channel broadcasts F1 in Canada-check the listing, it should indicate HD or not.
    We get the races in HD on TSN and Speed (possibly the replay only on speed, as I think live broadcasts were blacked out for me last year).

PS, we had em in HD last year.
  • Options
    I PVR'd Practice 2 so I don't know the results.
    But over the first two practices I know that:
    HRT hasn't driving their 2011 car at all yet.
    A Lotus car (Chandhok) hasn't driven.
    McLaren was sandbagging (as expected).

P3 is where the relevant times get set. Should be neat.
    Friend was telling me that they told the drivers only to use the wing on the straight (Charlie Whiting) to simulate the race, but I watched the first 5 minutes of P2 before I went to work and can safely say that Perez and RBR weren't paying attention to that order...
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

We get the races in HD on TSN and Speed (possibly the replay only on speed, as I think live broadcasts were blacked out for me last year).

PS, we had em in HD last year.

The HD from last year on TSN was like a digital zoom, like a HD fake, not true HD, which is funny cause F1 is the most technologically advanced sport, everything around it is so high tech, yet this is the first year it's going to be in true HD, took long enough :lol:
  • Options
    Wow, Vettel is fast again. I guess no surprise really. Good recovery by the Mclarens to break up the Red Bulls.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    Wow, Vettel is fast again. I guess no surprise really. Good recovery by the Mclarens to break up the Red Bulls.

Vettel looked great, big difference in times he posted compared to Webber in 3rd. Man, Vettel is just so fast, very precise when he's flowing.
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

Vettel looked great, big difference in times he posted compared to Webber in 3rd. Man, Vettel is just so fast, very precise when he's flowing.

The onboard camera of his pole lap was off the chart. No downshifting thru turns, car on rails, perfect in every way= very scary.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    was eddie at the race? :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    As expected a Vettel runaway. But the lap times of many of the cars should make for a good season. Many cars were right up with his speed halfway throught the race (although he was probably letting off a little) Perez was fast- huge surprise, and only one stop.
  • Options
    Forget about it. Vettel is so much faster than everyone else. If the car stays reliable, it will be a runaway season.
    And RB didnt use the KERS. A more mature Vettel, in a more reliable red bull, could create another dynasty.

That being said, what is with Hambone's beard? It looks ridiculous :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Red Bull sucks! :lol:
  • Options
    Going to be a looooong season. No one can touch RBR's car.
    If all the races go like that Massa and Webber will be job hunting for 2012.

Btw both Saubers were DQ'd for wing construction that violated 2 rules. Don't quite get it but reading the rules would suggest the upper part of the wing (non-moveable) is either curved too much or exceeds the size limits, and Sauber is appealing the call.

Also TSN's coverage of the qualifying and race was not good - sound didn't kick in for a while during qually, and during both broadcasts the audio was waaaaay behind the video.
    DC and Brundle combo isn't getting very good reviews (DC still working for RBR is probably not good).
  • Options
    Kimi Raikkonen going to NASCAR.
    Ugh.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Ugh.
    hahaha iceman joins the redneck rallys
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Get_Right wrote:
    Forget about it. Vettel is so much faster than everyone else. If the car stays reliable, it will be a runaway season.
    And RB didnt use the KERS. A more mature Vettel, in a more reliable red bull, could create another dynasty.

That being said, what is with Hambone's beard? It looks ridiculous :lol::lol::lol:

so true... he looked one of those guys from the Guess Who? boardgame! :mrgreen:

I was impressed with my fellow countryman Di Resta in his debutant race... and a point to boot!

I also really wasnt Schumi to do well... I loved the guy when he was at Ferrari. I still love Ferrari but both drivers are soulless dullards.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Also Sauber decided not to appeal the double DQ.
    I wonder if HRT will show up for Malaysian P1?
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I didn't see the race as I was asleep but I heard about each minute from the daughter who was at all 4 days. On friday through a friend of a friend they had VIP passes and visited the McClaren pit, had pics of them by the cars etc, and a cup of tea in the refreshment area. They weren't able to talk to Lewis or Jenson as they were being interviewed.

And she doesn't even like formula 1.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Ugh.

Kimi got a bit lucky winning the F1 title, he's not doing much in rally, perhaps NASCAR will be his thing. :lol:
  • Options
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Ugh.

Kimi got a bit lucky winning the F1 title, he's not doing much in rally, perhaps NASCAR will be his thing. :lol:
    Lucky in what way?
    All F1 contenders get a bit of luck throughout the season.