Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,255

Was partying in Vegas this weekend with one of the main guys from the 2004-2006 Nova team (have kind of known him for a while, grew up with a dude that is pretty much my brother...long story). Good times. Unfortunately not Lowry...missed him by a week.

Foye? Nardi?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

Was partying in Vegas this weekend with one of the main guys from the 2004-2006 Nova team (have kind of known him for a while, grew up with a dude that is pretty much my brother...long story). Good times. Unfortunately not Lowry...missed him by a week.

Foye? Nardi?
    Ray. Real good dude. My boy grew up with him and played a year of high school with him. Then he pulled a fresh prince and moved upstate.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422

Foye? Nardi?
    Ray. Real good dude. My boy grew up with him and played a year of high school with him. Then he pulled a fresh prince and moved upstate.
    I saw him play when he was in high school(St. Raymond's). Also saw Nardi(St. Pat's) & Lowry (Cardinal Dougherty) play in HS. The good old days when ther was a shit-load of talent from NY-NJ-Philly/area.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17618183/omari-spellman-villanova-wildcats-miss-2016-17-season-academic-redshirt

nova's top recruit for this season ruled ineligible. lots of small lineups for nova this year it looks like.
  • Options
    Screw the ncaa
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Screw the ncaa

not that i mind that nova gets hurt but honestly it's such a stupid ruling. the kid had all his academic requirements but because he re-classified down a year he has to sit out a year? what purpose does the ruling serve? if anything he should have been ineligible his last year of high school not his first year in college. just makes no sense.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Screw the ncaa

not that i mind that nova gets hurt but honestly it's such a stupid ruling. the kid had all his academic requirements but because he re-classified down a year he has to sit out a year? what purpose does the ruling serve? if anything he should have been ineligible his last year of high school not his first year in college. just makes no sense.
    Yeah, i agree. Stupid rule.

He was re-classified by the recomendation of the New High school . Back then, you think the kid, and the HS knew about the rule then?

I'm pretty sure St. Thomas More HS is a 5th year prep school, that plenty of HS players have gone to. Plus, i don't think their in their in the Conn. State association, so he could've played.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    cutz said:

pjhawks said:

Screw the ncaa

Yeah, i agree. Stupid rule.

He was re-classified by the recomendation of the New High school . Back then, you think the kid, and the HS knew about the rule then?

I'm pretty sure St. Thomas More HS is a 5th year prep school, that plenty of HS players have gone to. Plus, i don't think their in their in the Conn. State association, so he could've played.
    Welp.....just something Your National Champions will have to overcome this year...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Big win for YOUR National Champions last night.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

might be time to make a new thread so it doesn't say 2013-2014 anymore? Nova is going about 30-1 this year and will be #1 at Tourny time is my prediction.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Yours not mine. Giannini is an awful coach. Should've beaten Temple the other night. Sits our best players to start because some other scrubs practice harder. Then don't run plays for Price down the stretch. Stukes is awful, can't score and shouldn't be in down the stretch.
    I do like some of our new players though that should help bail Giannini out from his awful coaching.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985

Excellent game last night. Not the result I would have liked, but a very good college basketball game - especially for being the first week of the season. Nova made their free throws down the stretch, and the Boilers missed on some opportunities. Hope to see this rematch in March. Good luck with the season.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    That was a real good game. But refs were blowing calls left and right. Mostly against Purdue but Villanova started getting screwed near the end. Even when they did the replay where the shot clock expired before he released the ball, they got the call wrong.

I don't know the guys name, but Villanova has a ninja dunker playing for them.
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Jason P said:

That was a real good game. But refs were blowing calls left and right. Mostly against Purdue but Villanova started getting screwed near the end. Even when they did the replay where the shot clock expired before he released the ball, they got the call wrong.

I don't know the guys name, but Villanova has a ninja dunker playing for them.

I agree. I thought there was some head-scratcher stuff on our big guys. It did even out in the later part of the second half on the Nova side. It is what it is. The shot clock thing, that pissed me off. That said - no excuses. Both teams had a chance to win that game in the last 3 minutes where it basically went from a 3 point to a 1 point lead back and forth. It was a great game by 2 teams I expect to be in the upper tier of college basketball all year long.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    Some good games tonight, hopefully.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    pjhawks said:

might be time to make a new thread so it doesn't say 2013-2014 anymore? Nova is going about 30-1 this year and will be #1 at Tourny time is my prediction.
    or just ask @Johnny Abruzzo to change the title
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Nice effort by Lasalle tonight. Alas, the number 1 ranked defending national champions were just too much.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Nice effort by Lasalle tonight. Alas, the number 1 ranked defending national champions were just too much.

best I've seen Brunson play. and that late full court pass from Jenkins to Hart was impressive. Nova just doesn't make mistakes late. they make all their free throws, don't turn it over. This team is vulnerable inside and if Booth doesn't come back aren't really deep. that being said Hart might be the best player in the country and i think jenkins is turning himself into a pro. still f them :hang_loose:
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

best I've seen Brunson play. and that late full court pass from Jenkins to Hart was impressive. Nova just doesn't make mistakes late. they make all their free throws, don't turn it over. This team is vulnerable inside and if Booth doesn't come back aren't really deep. that being said Hart might be the best player in the country and i think jenkins is turning himself into a pro. still f them :hang_loose:
    Yeah, Nova still needs Booth. And they are vulnerable inside. Omari Spellman being ruled ineligible by the NCAAA hurt as he was a 5 Star Big man.
  • Options
    Damn, great effort last night. Too much flopping though for a #1 team though. Can't miss 5 straight FT's v. a team like that.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Duke-UNLV tonight. I remember watching the 1990 championship in the basement of my college dorm and being utterly humiliated being the only Duke fan. The revenge the next year was sweet, though.
  • Options

Duke-UNLV tonight. I remember watching the 1990 championship in the basement of my college dorm and being utterly humiliated being the only Duke fan. The revenge the next year was sweet, though.

ummm wrong thread. duke and unlv aren't part of the big 5

Huge win form Nova today :clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Thanks, thread police.
  • Options

Thanks, thread police.

no problemo image
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Grayson Allen has lost his mind. Kid needs help.
  • Options
    Just being an asshole is one thing but that reaction on the bench is disturbing. He got issued a tech and acted like it was a life sentence. This is a Big 5 thread though so go LaSalle & F Dook. Beat Dunk City last week and BJ won A10 POW!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I don't know what the Big 5 is, sorry. Is there a thread for just college basketball?
  • Options
    NM, I got it. :blush:
  • Options
    No big deal but you really don't know the Big 5?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pretty good article by Dick Jerardi on Nova's historical success the past couple of years.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20161221_Jerardi__Villanova_shows_sustained_excellence_in_Big_5_and_beyond.html