Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Temple getting 6.5 to 7.5 on various sites vs. Nova tonight. Wow jump all over that. I would have thought it be around 4. Temple 81-68.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,370
    pjhawks wrote:
    Temple getting 6.5 to 7.5 on various sites vs. Nova tonight. Wow jump all over that. I would have thought it be around 4. Temple 81-68.

I'd take 7 points, but no way we're winning by 13. Pavillion is a really tough place to play. 42 straight W's there for Nova (although they play all the really good Big East teams at the WTF Center). 9 1/2 more hours!

Won't see you there Jeags??? If you make it, look for one of the 7 or 8 guys with a red shirt.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230

I'd take 7 points, but no way we're winning by 13. Pavillion is a really tough place to play. 42 straight W's there for Nova (although they play all the really good Big East teams at the WTF Center). 9 1/2 more hours!

Won't see you there Jeags??? If you make it, look for one of the 7 or 8 guys with a red shirt.

i actually just turned down tickets. feel like shit and have a ton of stuff to do around the house. i'm pretty pissed, but whatever. gotta rest up for tomorrow night.

the line is 6-- still inflated due to nova's ranking though. temple's 7-3 vs the spread, nova is 3-4. so i'd definitely take temple if i wasn't a nova fan. that is a no brainer.

this is gonna be a great game. awesome final tuneup for nova heading into big east play. you guys definitely need fernandez to find his shot again in order to win. nova couldn't cover him last year. if nova plays up to their talent level i think they'll squeak it out. revenge game and being at the dupont is a definite advantage.

i see a 5 point game either way. not the end of the world for either team who loses though. good luck!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Here's Nova's slate so far this year:
    vs. Bucknell (W)
    vs. Marist (W)
    vs. Boston U (W)
    vs. Lafayette (W)
    vs. UCLA (W)
    at Tennessee (L)
    vs. St. Joe's (W)
    at Penn (W)
    at LaSalle (W)
    vs. Delaware (W)
    at Monmouth (W)

And here's Temple:
    vs. Seton Hall (W)
    vs. Toledo (W)
    vs. Cal in Orlando (L)
    vs. Georgia in Orlando (W)
    vs. Texas A&M in Orlando (L)
    at Central Michigan (W)
    at Maryland (W)
    vs. Georgetown (W)
    vs. Akron (W)
    vs. N. Illinois (W)
    at Ohio (W)

The schedule is obviously weakened by playing all those MAC teams, but stlil pretty good.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

i actually just turned down tickets. feel like shit and have a ton of stuff to do around the house. i'm pretty pissed, but whatever. gotta rest up for tomorrow night.

the line is 6-- still inflated due to nova's ranking though. temple's 7-3 vs the spread, nova is 3-4. so i'd definitely take temple if i wasn't a nova fan. that is a no brainer.

this is gonna be a great game. awesome final tuneup for nova heading into big east play. you guys definitely need fernandez to find his shot again in order to win. nova couldn't cover him last year. if nova plays up to their talent level i think they'll squeak it out. revenge game and being at the dupont is a definite advantage.

i see a 5 point game either way. not the end of the world for either team who loses though. good luck!

Good luck to you as well! For some reason this isn't really a bitter rivalry (a la St. Joe's-Nova, or the old Temple-UMass). All time Nova leads 43-41.

Hopefully someday the Owls play a Perfect Game and have inflated rankings for the next 25 years. 8-)

• Options

Good luck to you as well! For some reason this isn't really a bitter rivalry (a la St. Joe's-Nova, or the old Temple-UMass). All time Nova leads 43-41.

Hopefully someday the Owls play a Perfect Game and have inflated rankings for the next 25 years. 8-)

i just read something where the all time record is disputed. nova says they lead 42-20. temple says its 43-41. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    go Owls. And if I don't get a chance to come on tomorrow have a fun and safe New Years.
  • Options
    yo johnny do you ever read ken pomeroy's site? i love it. http://kenpom.com/

he's got his own ratings system, strength of schedule, and a schedule predictor that's usually fairly accurate. incidentally he has nova ranked 13th and temple at 31 with nova winning by 7 tonight. who knows?

but some really cool info/stats to look at there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i just read something where the all time record is disputed. nova says they lead 42-20. temple says its 43-41. :lol:

42-20? No fucking way. How do they come up with this? (isn't Nova the school that had ineligible players in the 70s?) It said 43-41 in the Inquirer this morning, and that sounds very reasonable considering the teams' histories.
    yo johnny do you ever read ken pomeroy's site? i love it. http://kenpom.com/

he's got his own ratings system, strength of schedule, and a schedule predictor that's usually fairly accurate. incidentally he has nova ranked 13th and temple at 31 with nova winning by 7 tonight. who knows?

but some really cool info/stats to look at there.

I'll check it out.

• Options
    my bad. i meant 42-40
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    my bad. i meant 42-40

I googled it and I thought it said 42-20 as well. Damn sleep deprivation. :lol:

• Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Corey Stokes leads Nova in scoring?? :o
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    booomm11 wrote:
    Corey Stokes leads Nova in scoring?? :o

the bayonne bomber! stokes is an assassin from beyond the arc :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited December 2010
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options

this is terrible reasoning. vegas adjusts. most teams will end up around .500 vs the spread. it's a fact...basic law of averages

I just got it at 5. bought it up to 5.5. fuck nova

also, props to those towson tigers for taking out lasalle last night
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

this is terrible reasoning. vegas adjusts. most teams will end up around .500 vs the spread. it's a fact...basic law of averages

yeah vegas adjusts...over time. this is still december. conference play hasn't even started for most teams. a lot of the top 10-15 teams lines are inflated this time of the year. i thought you said you read millman's blog? ;) i think it's all about the sweat barometer. nova has the 4th worst margin of all top 25 teams. you're on the right side with this game. good value there especially buying the hook. well played.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah vegas adjusts...over time. this is still december. conference play hasn't even started for most teams. a lot of the top 10-15 teams lines are inflated this time of the year. i thought you said you read millman's blog? ;) i think it's all about the sweat barometer. nova has the 4th worst margin of all top 25 teams. you're on the right side with this game. good value there especially buying the hook. well played.

I do read that blog. that sweat barometer is garbage
  • Options
    I don't know what's worse...corey fisher's jumper or listening to scott graham
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

certainly coming into play for anyone who bet on nova tonight....yet again.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    well apparently the rumors of villanova's demise (pj hawk, i'm looking in your direction ;) ) have been greatly exaggerated. :lol:

seriously, that was an awesome game. it's what the big 5 is all about. and it played out pretty much like i expected.

such a huge win for nova cuz it shows they have enough talent to win a big game even when fisher can't buy a bucket (imagine how good they will be when they're all on top of their games :shock: ). stokes has ice water in his veins...wayns is kyle lowry with a better jump shot...and MOUPHTAOU is the next hakeem the dream--only kidding. he is a beast in the making though. he gets better every game.

johnny a--helluva game buddy. this will go down as a "good loss" for temple on selection sunday. so it helps both teams. dunphy and wright are fun to watch operate. like a chess match between those two. its so cool to have two big time college basketball programs to follow this winter.

oh, and fixer covered---so everybody wins tonight! :thumbup:
    GO CATS!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jaegs- Temple covered but didn't play well enough to win. Fernandez not really a point guard and their offense was disjointed at times. Watching Lavoy Allen is maddening. Guy should be a 1st team all-american yet barely runs foul line to foul line. Gets double digit rebounds just gliding along, imagine what he could do with a killer instinct.

And Nova still stinks. 7-9 loss team in the Big East this year. Other than shoot foul shots they really don't do anything great. Other than Stokes they can't shoot a lick and have no depth at all. By end of january they will .500 in the Big East and people will be wondering what is wrong with them. They've really only played 2 good basketball teams, tennesee and temple and one decent team in ucla. the rest have all sucked.

and Jaegs check Wayns and Fisher's 3-point percentage this year, it's putrid. wayns is good but nowhere near as good as Lowry. Lowry was so physical and tough. Wayns will not get to the basket at will in the Big East.

get on board with Missouri this year - they are great and play such a fun style.
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Roman Catholic
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I know I will sound like one of those internet douches, but your post deserves an 'epic fail'

come on man, vegas hotels were built for a reason. most teams will be around .500 for the season vs the line.

there are rare exceptions...like the dallas cowboys going over EVERY week this year. yep, the fixer has blown some money on that this year.
  • Options

GO CATS!

this is all that really matters :lol:

crazy game. both teams are good. I still think nova is somewhat overrated. they're in for a long big east season.

and I think temple is kinda underrated. they have the look of a team that will improve as the year goes on.

Temple dished out some major BDA (backdoor action) tonight. jeags, you know what I mean. that run at the end for the cover was tremendous. once pepe sanchez fouled out I thought I was toast. I love sports gambling
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jaegs- Temple covered but didn't play well enough to win. Fernandez not really a point guard and their offense was disjointed at times. Watching Lavoy Allen is maddening. Guy should be a 1st team all-american yet barely runs foul line to foul line. Gets double digit rebounds just gliding along, imagine what he could do with a killer instinct.

And Nova still stinks. 7-9 loss team in the Big East this year. Other than shoot foul shots they really don't do anything great. Other than Stokes they can't shoot a lick and have no depth at all. By end of january they will .500 in the Big East and people will be wondering what is wrong with them. They've really only played 2 good basketball teams, tennesee and temple and one decent team in ucla. the rest have all sucked.

and Jaegs check Wayns and Fisher's 3-point percentage this year, it's putrid. wayns is good but nowhere near as good as Lowry. Lowry was so physical and tough. Wayns will not get to the basket at will in the Big East.

get on board with Missouri this year - they are great and play such a fun style.

:lol:
    you said lasalle would beat them outright and temple would come into the dupont (a place they haven't won since the 90's) and win by 13 and villanova would somehow start to demise. dude. you do not have a good read this team. i'm sorry you don't. stick to st joes. your hatred/jeaoulsy is getting in the way of objectivity. "they didn't play well enough to win"--really? :lol: ....you just keep pointing out the obvious. the big east is loaded and they have a stretch at the end of january (not sure if you look at schedules in this sport either) where they play 4 top 25 teams in about a 10 day stretch. if they're .500 at that point, i will gladly take it. like i've said all along, i think this team is a work in progress all the way to the end. f january. make sure you're playing well in late february/march. that's all i care about with this team.

last night was a big win. real season starts sunday. can't wait :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I know I will sound like one of those internet douches, but your post deserves an 'epic fail'

come on man, vegas hotels were built for a reason. most teams will be around .500 for the season vs the line.

there are rare exceptions...like the dallas cowboys going over EVERY week this year. yep, the fixer has blown some money on that this year.

well and the lions, and the ram, and the falcons, and the pats, and the bucs and generally every over (58% this year) etc etc etc ats this year. but, yeah, i get your point. ;)

my point about nova is not an "epic fail" though. i know you're big on law of averages, but the law is barely in place yet. it's f@cking december. the real conference season starts this weekend for most teams. vegas is more concerned, at this point in the year, on nfl and stupid bowl games. this time of year is always good to take an underdog vs a top 15 team....especially a team that most consider a bit overrated and playing a city rival....and especially when said favorite barely covers when they do cover.

i don't see why you're arguing anyway. i'm essentially agreeing with your pick last night. :?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

GO CATS!

this is all that really matters :lol:

crazy game. both teams are good. I still think nova is somewhat overrated. they're in for a long big east season.

and I think temple is kinda underrated. they have the look of a team that will improve as the year goes on.

Temple dished out some major BDA (backdoor action) tonight. jeags, you know what I mean. that run at the end for the cover was tremendous. once pepe sanchez fouled out I thought I was toast. I love sports gambling

pepe sanchez....haha--i always call him that out of habit. i hate that little f@cker--but he is so money when his shot is on. temple's good. they're gonna coast through the a10.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Congrats on the Big 5 title Jeags. Nova is a top-flight squad. Both of these teams should make tourney runs this year, and are the class of the Big 5 (and keeping it relevant).

I thought Temple played a mediocre offensive game (missed free throws, sloppy possessions) and blew it, but Nova played a nice game and beat us. Good game.

• Options
    Congrats on the Big 5 title Jeags. Nova is a top-flight squad. Both of these teams should make tourney runs this year, and are the class of the Big 5 (and keeping it relevant).

I thought Temple played a mediocre offensive game (missed free throws, sloppy possessions) and blew it, but Nova played a nice game and beat us. Good game.

no doubt man. i'll be rooting for temple in the a10.

god bless the big 5.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jaegs - did you read my comments on Nova's team at all? Yes they beat temple and lasalle (although i did say take lasalle and temple and the points along with saying Nova would lose, so for gambling purposes i am 2-0 on those 2 games) but my analysis of their team you did not dispute at all. They are not a great offensive team and their bigs and lack of depth will be exposed in the big east. And I have no clue how you can say it is ok for the 8th ranked team inthe country to be .500 halfway through their league. I think you are just hedging your bets against me. and yes did see their schedule, college basketball is very different than the NFL, see eagles vs. vikes, buccaneers vs. lions, as examples - teams in nfl end up where they deserve regardless of schedule where college bball schedule can determine an awful lot, hence why the big east teams all have 10 wins since they rarely play anyone out of conference (you do realize nova has only played 3 games out of philly and one was at Monmouth). Jaegs i watch a ton of college hoops and right now nova is not one of the top 20 or so teams i've seen. all i was trying to say was i see nova finishing anywhere from 6th to 9th in the big east, which is a pretty big dropff from the last 5 years. If I am wrong Jaegs i'll be the 1st to come on here and admit it as i have no problems admitting when i am wrong. love that conference play has started. this is when college hoops gets pretty awesome.