Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    "I believe the hawk is dead!" :lol:

jk pjhawks - I actually thought they didn't play too bad today. The Owls finally played a good road game and exerted their will over an inferior team. About time.

Didn't see any of the Nova game because I had to go shovel my driveway after the Temple game. Georgetown is a pretty unpredictable team.

i was at g town game. nova just played awful in the first half and ran out of time at the end. great atmosphere down there though. the big east is crazy. cuse lost again, uconn lost at home, and pitt barely beat rutgers.....in other news the johnnies are crushing duke right now.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192

jk pjhawks - I actually thought they didn't play too bad today. The Owls finally played a good road game and exerted their will over an inferior team. About time.

Didn't see any of the Nova game because I had to go shovel my driveway after the Temple game. Georgetown is a pretty unpredictable team.

hard to argue Johnny. I think saturday was the 1st game i ever went to where i thought there was a zero percent chance of the hawks winning. hawks just going through the motions, other than Roberts they don't really play all that hard. temple got any look at any time during the game. fran took it easy by slowing it down for most of the game. temple could have won by any score if they chose to. at least starting that early game was over early.
  • Options

i was at g town game. nova just played awful in the first half and ran out of time at the end. great atmosphere down there though. the big east is crazy. cuse lost again, uconn lost at home, and pitt barely beat rutgers.....in other news the johnnies are crushing duke right now.

end of january jaegs and i said they'd be .500 in league so they are still a game ahead of where i said they'd be. i got a new name for you though jaegs, i am going to start calling you 'rally killer'. chirped about the phils being unbeatbale, boom lose in the playoffs. chirped about the eagles being unstoppable, boom lost in the playoffs, chirped about nova a week or so ago and boom lose 3 out 4.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

end of january jaegs and i said they'd be .500 in league so they are still a game ahead of where i said they'd be. i got a new name for you though jaegs, i am going to start calling you 'rally killer'. chirped about the phils being unbeatbale, boom lose in the playoffs. chirped about the eagles being unstoppable, boom lost in the playoffs, chirped about nova a week or so ago and boom lose 3 out 4.

no actually here's what you said:
    pjhawks wrote:

And Nova still stinks. 7-9 loss team in the Big East this year. Other than shoot foul shots they really don't do anything great. Other than Stokes they can't shoot a lick and have no depth at all. By end of january they will .500 in the Big East and people will be wondering what is wrong with them. They've really only played 2 good basketball teams, tennesee and temple and one decent team in ucla. the rest have all sucked.
    :lol:

along with saying they "stink" you said they would be .500 at the end of january. 5-3 is exactly right where i thought they'd be. remember? they've only played one bad game in conference and that was a game i said they'd probably lose. not sure how closely you follow the big east but these teams destroy each other. in the loss column, 3 losses is good for 3rd place right now. hell our 11th place just crushed duke! :thumbup: brutal!

go cats

and not sure what you're talking about with the phils and birds. i said the phils would get to the world series when most were saying they would miss the playoffs. missed it by 2 games. and the birds being unstoppable? huh? i had serious doubts about beating the pack otherwise i would have had money on them. off again buddy :? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

along with saying they "stink" you said they would be .500 at the end of january. 5-3 is exactly right where i thought they'd be. remember? they've only played one bad game in conference and that was a game i said they'd probably lose. not sure how closely you follow the big east but these teams destroy each other. in the loss column, 3 losses is good for 3rd place right now. hell our 11th place just crushed duke! :thumbup: brutal!

go cats

'our' 11th place team, what you work for the league now? and the basketball points i listed above are what is happening to them over the past week and a half. not shooting well and depth is severely lacking and if Stokes' toe injury lingers or get's worse could be very bad for this team.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    pjhawks wrote:

go cats

'our' 11th place team, what you work for the league now? and the basketball points i listed above are what is happening to them over the past week and a half. not shooting well and depth is severely lacking and if Stokes' toe injury lingers or get's worse could be very bad for this team.

you're right. they stink. :roll:

you are just not watching these games. wayns and fisch shot 50% vs georgetown...that includes 3's. stokes was 40% and 3-6 from beyond. they just started out ice cold and ran out of time. disappointing loss. again i predicted them to lose 6 or 7 games. so a loss to quality g town team is something that happens in the big east.

the providence game was an anomaly. i said the morning of that i had a bad feeling about that one (flip back a few pages). no surprise.

they shot the lights out at syracuse. could barely miss a shot. everyone was on fire. great game. got a win when i didn't expect it.

against uconn--that was a great game, at the #6 team in the country that was decided on a last second shot by one of the country's best players. didn't expect a win there.

this is life in the big east dude.....it's a bit different than hawk hill, so i understand your confusion. :D

these next 3 before pitt are huge though. they need to go 2-1 at least....we'll see. go cats!

edit--regarding stokes, umm, yeah, if the team's best player is hurt and forces him to miss time or something, that's gonna end up hurting the team too. injuries suck. thanks genius. :roll:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

go cats

you are just not watching these games. wayns and fisch shot 50% vs georgetown...that includes 3's. stokes was 40% and 3-6 from beyond. they just started out ice cold and ran out of time. disappointing loss. again i predicted them to lose 6 or 7 games. so a loss to quality g town team is something that happens in the big east.

the providence game was an anomaly. i said the morning of that i had a bad feeling about that one (flip back a few pages). no surprise.

they shot the lights out at syracuse. could barely miss a shot. everyone was on fire. great game. got a win when i didn't expect it.

against uconn--that was a great game, at the #6 team in the country that was decided on a last second shot by one of the country's best players. didn't expect a win there.

this is life in the big east dude.....it's a bit different than hawk hill, so i understand your confusion. :D

these next 3 before pitt are huge though. they need to go 2-1 at least....we'll see. go cats!

i only saw the last few minutes on saturday jaegs because i am a real fan of my teams, i actually use my season tickets and don't sell or give them away no matter how bad they are, like some 'fraud' fans on here.

and as i said they are 1 game ahead of where i predicted at this point and i give them credit for that. i've never made excuses for the comments i made. i can admit when i've been off. i've been wrong up to this point on their record. no shame in admitting it.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i only saw the last few minutes on saturday jaegs because i am a real fan of my teams, i actually use my season tickets and don't sell or give them away no matter how bad they are, like some 'fraud' fans on here.

and as i said they are 1 game ahead of where i predicted at this point and i give them credit for that. i've never made excuses for the comments i made. i can admit when i've been off. i've been wrong up to this point on their record. no shame in admitting it.

you should have just admitted that you're not watching them right off the bat. it was painfully obvious.

between the akers/daughter cancer thing and dredging up the season ticket fraud thing from a few weeks ago, you're in rare form today dude. not surprising though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    you should have just admitted that you're not watching them right off the bat. it was painfully obvious.

between the akers/daughter cancer thing and dredging up the season ticket fraud thing from a few weeks ago, you're in rare form today dude. not surprising though.

but i ain't wrong :D:D:D
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

you're just never correct.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

at least i admit when i am wrong and aren't a fraud fan mr. rally killer :D
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

at least i admit when i am wrong and aren't a fraud fan mr. rally killer :D

when i'm wrong, you'll be the first to know. until then, just look at is an education for yourself. soak it in. :lol:

and please, with nova, watch the games instead of reading the blogs if you're gonna come on here and try to talk some smack next time. otherwise stick to the lowly hawks :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    where did i talk smack? I gave an opinion. at that time i thought they stunk. that's not smack that was an opinion. talking smack is pumping out your chest about your teams which is what you have done rally killer. i've given opinions, some slightly off which i've admitted to. i don't go pounding my chest and talking smack about my teams. i don't need to tell a giants or cowboys fan how good my team is after every win unlike some people. i don't go around telling people how the phils are unbeatable. smack is wasted effort because in sports there is a scoreboard.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    where did i talk smack? I gave an opinion. at that time i thought they stunk. that's not smack that was an opinion. talking smack is pumping out your chest about your teams which is what you have done rally killer. i've given opinions, some slightly off which i've admitted to. i don't go pounding my chest and talking smack about my teams. i don't need to tell a giants or cowboys fan how good my team is after every win unlike some people. smack is wasted effort because in sports there is a scoreboard.

now we're talking about semantics. sweet. okay then, you're opinions were and are poop. give it a rest. :lol:

come on lunardi, give me your braketology so i can have something else to do than go back and forth with this dope :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    where did i talk smack? I gave an opinion. at that time i thought they stunk. that's not smack that was an opinion. talking smack is pumping out your chest about your teams which is what you have done rally killer. i've given opinions, some slightly off which i've admitted to. i don't go pounding my chest and talking smack about my teams. i don't need to tell a giants or cowboys fan how good my team is after every win unlike some people. smack is wasted effort because in sports there is a scoreboard.

now we're talking about semantics. sweet. okay then, you're opinions were and are poop. give it a rest. :lol:

come on lunardi, give me your braketology so i can have something else to do than go back and forth with this dope :mrgreen:

bracketology on jan. 31st is about as relevant as fantasy leagues - meaningless. but go beat your chest because nova is going to a be a 3 or 4 seed today. ghost of the braves being in 1st place in june
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

bracketology on jan. 31st is about as relevant as fantasy leagues - meaningless. but go beat your chest because nova is going to a be a 3 or 4 seed today. ghost of the braves being in 1st place in june

i'm a college hoops junkie dude. i live for this stuff.

and it's a tad more relevant than declaring a team of "stinking" in december. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i love lunardi's columns.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,380
    I don't even understand what the arguments are here. Whatever. :roll:

si.com - Nova 3 seed, Owls 7 seed.
    espn (lunardi) - Cata 3 seed, Owls 8 seed (vs. St. Johns)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Owls need to bring the beatdown to LaSalle Wednesday. Still a good shot at a 6 seed.

Owls are 5-4 outside of Philly (counting Nova as Philly), 10-1 in Philly.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

i think pj hawks trying to "tweak" again....

yeah, cats are the 3rd 3 seed while temple's the 1st 8 seed. a good week, they should be up to 7.

nova--14 rpi
    temple--43 rpi
    st joes--213 rpi
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    st joes--213 rpi

Out of what? 225? :lol:

• Options

i think pj hawks trying to "tweak" again....

yeah, cats are the 3rd 3 seed while temple's the 1st 8 seed. a good week, they should be up to 7.

nova--14 rpi
    temple--43 rpi
    st joes--213 rpi

jeez jaegs i actually gave nova credit for being one game better than i predicted a month ago and yet somehow you even take that the wrong way. and uhh fyi: corey stokes is not nova's best player.
  • Options
    st joes--213 rpi

:thumbup: :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    st joes--213 rpi

you 2 guys are only off by about 100
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

you 2 guys are only off by about 100

my apologies. 213 out of 346. that is much better :thumbup:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    think it's safe to say all is well on the main line again ;) that was a smack down of a decent team.

malik wayns reminds me so much of kyle lowry. little guys who aren't afraid to take it to the bigs in the lane. dude has absolutely no fear.....just hope he sticks around next year.

go cats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hey even my Hawks won a game this weekend. good to see a win finally although Martelli decided to rip the fans as he has been doing lately. Guys in the midst of one of the worst seasons in school history and is taking shots at fans who rip him and the team on the internet. called us jackasses. So I'm an ahole for being a PJ message board guy and a jackass for being a Hawk message board guy. i guess if the shoe fits... :D
  • Options
    Yeah pjhawks, I think Phil was right. You seem like a jackass. haha - just kidding. :lol: :P

My Owls played a nice game to beat Rhode Island Saturday. I never posted about the win at LaSalle since I didn't see it - um since it wasn't on TV. :evil:

Back to #24 in the AP poll. :)

• Options
    nova remains at the 3rd 3 seed, temple moves up to the top 8 seed in latest bracketology...

good week for both schools.

edit----another huge trap game for nova wednesday at the rac with the game of the year on saturday looming. that is a tough place to play and they always seem to give nova fits every year. after the providence loss, they can't afford to lose to anymore lower tier big east teams from here on out.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Penn had a complete meltdown in overtime against Princeton last night. UP 1 they call a timeout in the last 30 seconds they don't have so Princeton ties it. Then turn it over and Princeton scores and guy on Penn misses a wide open layup, badly and they lose by 3. terrible ending for Penn after making a late run to tie the game to send it to overtime. Jerome Allen doing a great job at Penn in such a short time.

go RU - been to the RAC a few times, great venue for college hoops especially when it's rocking. Should be rocking tonight as well.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Penn had a complete meltdown in overtime against Princeton last night. UP 1 they call a timeout in the last 30 seconds they don't have so Princeton ties it. Then turn it over and Princeton scores and guy on Penn misses a wide open layup, badly and they lose by 3. terrible ending for Penn after making a late run to tie the game to send it to overtime. Jerome Allen doing a great job at Penn in such a short time.

go RU - been to the RAC a few times, great venue for college hoops especially when it's rocking. Should be rocking tonight as well.

...such a hater :mrgreen:

i just realized the game is on phl 17! it was originally not gonna be broadcast around here. phew :)
    chinese-happy.jpg