Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,251
    pjhawks said:

this is even more incredible than 1985. i mean they had to beat 3 of the 5 best teams in the country back-to-back-to-back, shoot the highest % in the history of the modern tourney over 6 games, get 2 great games from 2 different backups in the last 3 games, overcome an incredible no reason to make it shot to tie and hit a deep (although unguarded) 3 to win it. just fucking incredible (and a little sickening to me to be honest). as much as i hate nova and especially the fans it's hard not to be amazed at what they just did. and especially jay and arch, hard to dislike those 2. #respect to those 2. pretty classy individuals.

It was pretty remarkable, wasn't it? I saw somewhere that they had something like the third toughest road to the championship ever...and then to finish like that was pretty crazy.

Actually--the first thought that popped into my mind when Paige hit his three was the Scottie Reynolds play in '09 vs Pitt. Roughly the same amount of time on the clock so I wasn't overly upset. It was weird.

And props to you, Hawks-- it's always been clear that you get the Big Five and respect its history and tradition. Nova has their fare share of detractors but any Big Five team winning the whole thing is a big deal to the city and all of the city six teams, for the exposure alone.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    That was one hell of an ending. I went from so fuckin pissed to pure elation in 4.7 seconds! I thought for sure when Paige hit that 3, it would go into OT and UNC would win by 8 or some shit. Can't stand Carolina and one of my buddies at work is a huge fan. I really didn't want to hear it all day today - thank you, basketball gods!
  • Options
    Who loves a parade?......Everyone of course

BANG
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,771

Who loves a parade?......Everyone of course

BANG

Enjoy it.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Just won a National Championship....."Big Fucking Deal"

haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    YOUR National Champs just got a 22 million dollar gift from an alumni to go towards the expansion of the Dupont (finally). A top five junior recruit, who did not want to meet with them prior to the final four run, has granted an in home visit. And they just got a commitment from a local power forward for 2017.

Not a bad month for The National Champs.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422

YOUR National Champs just got a 22 million dollar gift from an alumni to go towards the expansion of the Dupont (finally). A top five junior recruit, who did not want to meet with them prior to the final four run, has granted an in home visit. And they just got a commitment from a local power forward for 2017.

Names? Do you know who donated the $22 MIL? (that Pavillion needs a upgrade)

And, who's the top 5 JR.? & who's the local 2017 power forward who gave a verbal? We need names>LOL
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    cutz said:

And, who's the top 5 JR.? & who's the local 2017 power forward who gave a verbal? We need names>LOL
    the power forward was the dude from Neumann Roundtree.

the only problem with Nova getting the funds for Pavillion upgrade is that Radnor will fight them tooth and nail on everything. they fought Nova on putting a pedestrian bridge over Lancaster ave. they are pricks to nova at every turn. it's a shame because nova really needs to replace the Pavillion but Radnor will never let them build something new and bigger.
  • Options
    cutz said:

William Finnerian donated--
    http://www.vuhoops.com/2016/4/20/11476608/villanova-receives-22-6m-gift-for-pavilion-renovations

Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree is the power forward. He was looking at Syracuse, Miami, USC, etc......but decided he wanted real chance to win a national championship (HEY OH!)
    http://www.vuhoops.com/2016/4/22/11488514/villanova-basketball-recruiting-2017-dhamir-cosby-roundtree-commitment

Think the junior is Brian Bowen? Could be wrong...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

cutz said:

William Finnerian donated--
    http://www.vuhoops.com/2016/4/20/11476608/villanova-receives-22-6m-gift-for-pavilion-renovations

Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree is the power forward. He was looking at Syracuse, Miami, USC, etc......but decided he wanted real chance to win a national championship (HEY OH!)
    http://www.vuhoops.com/2016/4/22/11488514/villanova-basketball-recruiting-2017-dhamir-cosby-roundtree-commitment

Think the junior is Brian Bowen? Could be wrong...

My scouting friends have seen Cosby-Roundtree play, and say thats a great get for Nova(if he does sign, because you never know with teenagers>LOL)

Yes, i read that it is Brian Bowen. Only saw him on TV, and he looked pretty good.

HOPE to get out and see some more HS hoops then i did this past season, as i only stayed local.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Savon Goodman transfers to La Salle as Explorers continue to reload
    04/23/2016, 11:30am EDT
    By Stephen Pianovich
    Stephen Pianovich (@SPianovich) &
    Josh Verlin (@jmverlin)
    --

Savon Goodman is coming home, and La Salle’s already strong conglomerate of reinforcement transfers just got another boost.

Goodman, a Constitution high school grad and Philadelphia native, is transferring to La Salle after spending the first four years of his college career at three separate schools. He will be immediately eligible for the Explorers, joining three other transfers who can play for John Giannini’s team next season.

Goodman’s college career has been an adventure. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound forward was in the same 2012 UNLV recruiting class as eventual No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett. He then went to Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa -- a town of about 25,000 near the southeast corner of the state -- for a year while not suiting up for a team. And most recently he played with the Sun Devils, putting up nine double-doubles over the last two seasons and leading the team with 6.4 rebounds in 2015-16.

But Goodman announced in March he planned to transfer, and now that adventure is coming to a close in his hometown.

“I think I just went through a lot. Going away for college gave me a chance to grow up a lot, see a lot of the world on my own and learn how to do things on my own,” he told CoBL over the phone. “But coming back home, there are no negatives. I’m excited to be home and see my family. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Being close to home was certainly part of his choice to come to La Salle, but it wasn’t what Goodman called his top reason.

“The biggest thing was I trusted the coaching staff and I trust the coaches,” he said.

Giannini and that staff are going to have a whole lot more to work with next season, after the undermanned Explorers -- who sometimes used just six- or seven-man rotations -- went 9-22 in the 2015-16 campaign.

Goodman will be joined by three other transfers who sat out out last season due to NCAA rules: B.J. Johnson, a 6-7 forward and Lower Merion product who spent his first two seasons at Syracuse; Demetrius Henry, a 6-9, 227-pound big man who will give the Explorers a boost in the post after transferring from South Carolina and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell, a 6-1 point guard who has three years of eligibility left after leaving Memphis.

La Salle will also return its top six scorers from a season ago, including Jordan Price, who netted 19.2 points per game last year. The Explorers were already expected to make a big jump next season, and Goodman’s presence will certainly aid in that process.

Goodman made the NCAA Tournament once, as a freshman for UNLV in 2013 -- also the last time the Explorers made the big dance. He doesn’t want to set expectations for his final collegiate season since he hasn’t spent much time with his new teammates yet, but Goodman knows what the ultimate goal will be.

“My goal is always to win and to win a conference championship and make a run in the NCAA Tournament,” he said.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

By Stephen Pianovich
    Josh Verlin (@jmverlin)
    --

Savon Goodman is coming home, and La Salle’s already strong conglomerate of reinforcement transfers just got another boost.

Goodman, a Constitution high school grad and Philadelphia native, is transferring to La Salle after spending the first four years of his college career at three separate schools. He will be immediately eligible for the Explorers, joining three other transfers who can play for John Giannini’s team next season.

Goodman’s college career has been an adventure. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound forward was in the same 2012 UNLV recruiting class as eventual No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett. He then went to Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa -- a town of about 25,000 near the southeast corner of the state -- for a year while not suiting up for a team. And most recently he played with the Sun Devils, putting up nine double-doubles over the last two seasons and leading the team with 6.4 rebounds in 2015-16.

But Goodman announced in March he planned to transfer, and now that adventure is coming to a close in his hometown.

“I think I just went through a lot. Going away for college gave me a chance to grow up a lot, see a lot of the world on my own and learn how to do things on my own,” he told CoBL over the phone. “But coming back home, there are no negatives. I’m excited to be home and see my family. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Being close to home was certainly part of his choice to come to La Salle, but it wasn’t what Goodman called his top reason.

“The biggest thing was I trusted the coaching staff and I trust the coaches,” he said.

Giannini and that staff are going to have a whole lot more to work with next season, after the undermanned Explorers -- who sometimes used just six- or seven-man rotations -- went 9-22 in the 2015-16 campaign.

Goodman will be joined by three other transfers who sat out out last season due to NCAA rules: B.J. Johnson, a 6-7 forward and Lower Merion product who spent his first two seasons at Syracuse; Demetrius Henry, a 6-9, 227-pound big man who will give the Explorers a boost in the post after transferring from South Carolina and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell, a 6-1 point guard who has three years of eligibility left after leaving Memphis.

La Salle will also return its top six scorers from a season ago, including Jordan Price, who netted 19.2 points per game last year. The Explorers were already expected to make a big jump next season, and Goodman’s presence will certainly aid in that process.

Goodman made the NCAA Tournament once, as a freshman for UNLV in 2013 -- also the last time the Explorers made the big dance. He doesn’t want to set expectations for his final collegiate season since he hasn’t spent much time with his new teammates yet, but Goodman knows what the ultimate goal will be.

“My goal is always to win and to win a conference championship and make a run in the NCAA Tournament,” he said.

only for one year but a good get for LaSalle although have to question 3 different schools in 4 years and was able to graduate. it's good to be a D1 athlete. With the transfers LaSalle could be pretty good next year. Also saw where Matt Brady former Hawk assistant and coach at Marist and James Madison took a job as an assistant as LaSalle.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

By Stephen Pianovich
    Josh Verlin (@jmverlin)
    --

only for one year but a good get for LaSalle although have to question 3 different schools in 4 years and was able to graduate. it's good to be a D1 athlete. With the transfers LaSalle could be pretty good next year. Also saw where Matt Brady former Hawk assistant and coach at Marist and James Madison took a job as an assistant as LaSalle.
    Yeah, 3 different schools, but i think he did that in HS too. I know he went to at least 2. Besides going to Constitution he went to ANC(Academy of the New Church).
  • Options
    Savon Goodman....I believe he decommitted to the eventual National Champions a few years back, didn't he?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Savon Goodman....I believe he decommitted to the eventual National Champions a few years back, didn't he?

Now that you mention it, i think he did. That's what you get with teenagers though. They're not committed until they sign that letter of intent.

Ther verbal means shit>LOL
  • Options
    Nice. Now both Josh Hart and Jenkins will be returning to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS for their senior years
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Champs will be visiting the White House on Tuesday
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

for Jay's sake lets hope none of their players are all drugged up for this trip :rofl:
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

for Jay's sake lets hope none of their players are all drugged up for this trip :rofl:
    That's a hell of a story. Haha. Wild and wacky 80's
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    For all the doubters, this one's for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDg3Q8jjNLM
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

like '85 just going to make this fan base even more obnoxious. can't wait until the city once again turns on their ahole fans. I suspect Jay will handle it a lot better than Rollie did though.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

like '85 just going to make this fan base even more obnoxious. can't wait until the city once again turns on their ahole fans. I suspect Jay will handle it a lot better than Rollie did though.
    What about this video makes you say that? It's about all the analysts who repeatedly picked against them. Stephen A is featured prominently.

Might want to watch it when you get the chance.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

What about this video makes you say that? It's about all the analysts who repeatedly picked against them. Stephen A is featured prominently.

i won't watch something that will make me want to throw up. and well history will show that an ahole fan base gets even more obnoxious after winning (see nova 85, every time the yankees have won, red sox....).

of course people doubted them, they hadn't been past the 1st weekend in what 4 years? they didn't have one NBA 1st round pick on their team which is very unusual for NCAA Champions these days. Also they didn't exact beat murderer's row during the regular season. Of course all that doesn't matter as they fully earned their title with one of the great shooting runs of all time.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

i won't watch something that will make me want to throw up. and well history will show that an ahole fan base gets even more obnoxious after winning (see nova 85, every time the yankees have won, red sox....).

of course people doubted them, they hadn't been past the 1st weekend in what 4 years? they didn't have one NBA 1st round pick on their team which is very unusual for NCAA Champions these days. Also they didn't exact beat murderer's row during the regular season. Of course all that doesn't matter as they fully earned their title with one of the great shooting runs of all time.
    Golly, that is a lot of jibberish about a video you chose not to watch.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    NM
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    cutz said:

NM

Agreed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Was partying in Vegas this weekend with one of the main guys from the 2004-2006 Nova team (have kind of known him for a while, grew up with a dude that is pretty much my brother...long story). Good times. Unfortunately not Lowry...missed him by a week.