Options

Backspacer...one year later!

hd1072hd1072 Posts: 158
edited September 2010 in The Porch
Thoughts?

On the album? On the tour? How its aged?

I'll type more later.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    force of nature..one of the band's best ever
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Unthought Known is a live one I never want to see out of the rotation...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    ON ALBUM,ON TOUR...EVERYWHERE...WHAT A SONG..WHAT A VIDEO..PROUD TO BE PART OF THIS!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFRQIEv6mC0
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    it grows on you with time. got to admit when i first heard it, i thought oh no pop music is the aim here. but here i still play it in my little pj car music rotation, and i'm loving it more every time i hear something new in a song.

great job...not the old stuff..but still great job..they're moving onward and upward. and i say congrats and cannot wait to hear the next one :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    im fucking sick of tired seeing the end and just breathe

i saw both songs 6 times within 2 years

dear god are they awful songs

speed of sound is my fave song from backspacer
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    I LOVE Backspacer... been loving it since it came out, still do :D

(ok, not as good as other records... but still damn good and most important: different)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    still diggin it
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    The album was/is still very enjoyable. I love it. Unthought Known is the best thing they have done in years. I was and still am very happy with Backsapcer. It will age great, because unlike the political messages in the last few albums, it won't become as dated.

The tour, if you want to call it a "tour"? Not so much.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,582
    This album shouldn't be recorded. EVER. The songs are awful. Have never heard worse tunes from PJ. Piece of crap. Jesus. Sorry guys. Just my opinion. Please don't play these songs live.
  • Options
    RW8297 wrote:
    This album shouldn't be recorded. EVER. The songs are awful. Have never heard worse tunes from PJ. Piece of crap. Jesus. Sorry guys. Just my opinion. Please don't play these songs live.
    you over reacting and you know it.. :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Oh please. C'mon. I can't even pick one song and say this is ok. I don't listen to backspacer. It really makes me sick. Can't help,..
    RW8297 wrote:
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL NewYork Posts: 720
    edited September 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    im fucking sick of tired seeing the end and just breathe
    speed of sound is my fave song from backspacer

hmmm... share your above stated thoughts (although maybe not quite as emphatically!!-LOL) about the end and just breathe... i really like just breathe.... but after a while it starts to sound... idk... whiny? (yeah yeah yeah...i know... YES... you said it... you need me... want me... blah blah... i get it! ) please no one get all huffy!!

i love speed of sound.... love. love. love.

and i love backspacer

supersonic is awesome. speed of sound. awesome. amongst the waves. force of nature. got some. johnny guitar... it's a really good solid album from start to finish... including just breathe and the end... just breathe was my fave for the first month... non stop playing... but I (and they) wore it out for me.... (heh... maybe i go to too many shows... nah... no such thing!!)

BUT! That said... the other day i played Avocado... and decided i like it.... over all... better than backspacer.

and that is my random, long winded and partially coherent 22 cents.
    Post edited by GTFLYGIRL on
  • Options
    RW8297 wrote:
    Oh please. C'mon. I can't even pick one song and say this is ok. I don't listen to backspacer. It really makes me sick. Can't help,..
    RW8297 wrote:
    ok.i hope you like the next album the boys will make.. :)
  • Options
    RW8297 wrote:
    RW8297 wrote:

not even supersonic?!?!

huh? 8-)
  • Options
    RW8297 wrote:
    [/quote]
    ok.i hope you like the next album the boys will make.. :)[/quote]

I hope so :D I doubt they can make something worse than Backspacer. yeah yeah yeah... disgusting!
    gotta go now! Cheers.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

not even supersonic?!?!

huh? 8-)
    :lol::lol: ok,u do realise that supersonic is the last favorite in 95% of the fans right? :D
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i still really like it...it's not my favorite record, but it's not my least favorite either. the highlights for me are: Force of Nature, Got Some, Unthought Known & Johnny Guitar.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    LOVE IT since first listen. To me, it's up there with their first three. Very strong album. Every song is great. The guys are having a great time right now and are happy and we got a great album because of that. My favorites are GSMF, Got Some, Johnny Guitar, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known, Spped of Sound, and Force of Nature. Didn't care for Johnny Guitar and Unthought Known until the Hartford show. GSMF is such a great opener to an album, my favorite Pearl Jam opener for an album.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Amongst the Waves at MSG2 this year was one of the best PJ moments in my life. I had the worst seats ever in 30+ shows, but had an amazing time. Was awesome to see from that perspective, with so many people loving the show in front of me. But for some reason my section (342 i think??) went nuts during ATW. It was very moving.

Wonder what the Backspacer #'s are like a year later also.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    In general, I agree with mfc on BS-not my favorite PJ album but not my least favorite either. But I do gotta say Unthought Known and Force of Nature are masterpieces.
    Unthought Known & Amongst the Waves are favorites live.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    It's a great album, not their best, but a great album. The boys are not 20 anymore and the songs show that. I really like the way they have matured as a band.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Songs that have stuck:
    Got Some
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Unthought Known

Still cool to hear live:
    Force of Nature
    Amongst the Waves
    Johnny Guitar
    Gonna see my friend

The rest - well, are just the rest......
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    Speed of Sound has become my favorite
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Still really enjoy this album. I would rank it somewhere in the middle of PJ's catalogue as far as favorites go, but I won't skip any songs on the album when I listen to it (I used to skip GSMF, but it's grown on me)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Not their best but somehting the had to do at the time. I enjoy it for what it is. A better album than S/T

Speed of Sound, Unthought Known, The End and Got Some are all pretty special in my mind
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

not even supersonic?!?!

huh? 8-)
    :lol::lol: ok,u do realise that supersonic is the last favorite in 95% of the fans right? :D

if i wanted to sound... COOL.... i would say.. "duh!!! it was a joke!!!"

but that's not the truth... LOL.,.. I spend very little time on here these days and im not up to speed with what the majority of fans like..

oh wait... i meant to say...

YEAH!! Duh!! I was being sarcastic! 8-)
  • Options
    I love it. No apologies for that.

I feel like we needed a new era for the band and backspacer is pearl jam showing that they can do something different. i've got all the albums, so i don't need another ten, yield or vs. i was grateful to hear something new and fresh and upbeat after binaural (downbeat), riot act (disgruntled) and the onslaught of avocado (compressed and loud!) and the spaciality and wanderlust of ITW.

I love those albums too, every pearl jam album has it's day and mood in my rotation, but i think that the chains came off for backspacer with the self-releasing thing and it was time for the band to have little fun. and it is fun.

having said that, i'm looking forward to something different again next time around. I'm still hoping for the double disc concept album called "enterprise 2" which I had a vivid dream about some time ago.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    I like it about as much now as I did a year ago. I'd rank it 4th after Yield, Vs. and Avocado.

The only song I couldn't and still can't get into is "Force of Nature." It just sounds tired to me. Shocked that so many people seem to love it like they do.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    Good album and nice to know the guys are still there with new ideas with all of the different kinds of music today. Not the best ever or their best ever, but a nice, fun work that is greatly appreciated!
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    have to be honest, haven't really listened to it since late last fall... It's a good album bc it's pj and they dont make bad things. But it's definitely at the bottom of the list for me.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...