* THE WINE THREAD *

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I've been sick for most of the last week and was working all yesterday and last night.

Tonight, I'm making pizza and cracking open a bottle of red. Tonight I will have wine. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    mcgruff10 said:
    The first of many that will be opened today. 
    There’s the red! The carnivor is a real solid cab for the price. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
     No ice cubes today bud. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nice 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
     No ice cubes today bud. 
    Ah your stepping up your game .
    I've been sick for most of the last week and was working all yesterday and last night.

Tonight, I'm making pizza and cracking open a bottle of red. Tonight I will have wine. 
    That’s a Sunday ritual in my home I’m also having cheese ravioli with cauliflower freto sauce ..
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes! I tried the Carnivor last weekend and it was very nice. I'm sipping on some Chateau St Michelle chardonnay, nothing fancy but decent, and watching the Panthers game right now. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon ;)
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
     No ice cubes today bud. 
    Ah your stepping up your game .
    Half hour in the fridge is key.  No ice cubes needed. Opening up bottle four.  Any posts after this I do apologize because chance are I am drunk. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes! I tried the Carnivor last weekend and it was very nice. I'm sipping on some Chateau St Michelle chardonnay, nothing fancy but decent, and watching the Panthers game right now. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon ;)
    I’ve enjoyed some Chateau Ste Michelle as well, though it was some of their other whites. 
    Nothing special, but a half way decent bottle of Cali Zinfandel has become a go to

• Nothing special, but a half way decent bottle of Cali Zinfandel has become a go to

If you like Zin try Seghesio.

Hands down one of my favorite wines and is only $30 a bottle.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
     Not $30 a bottle....

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    Good god. Close the thread
    I drank this one last weekend.  One of the best wines I ever had. No ice cubes. ;)

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    I hope saving! At least for a few more years. I've tasted it, and it is spectacular, and will be even better in several years or even a decade or more. Good stuff!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    mcgruff10 said:
    I drank this one last weekend.  One of the best wines I ever had. No ice cubes. ;)

Have heard really good things about this. The guy at the liquor store I go to has been talking it up, it’s always on display, and I think I read something in spectator about it. Will have to grab one 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    jeffbr said:
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    I hope saving! At least for a few more years. I've tasted it, and it is spectacular, and will be even better in several years or even a decade or more. Good stuff!
    Wow....isn't this stuff like $300ish a bottle?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    jeffbr said:
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    Every vintage is different but yeah, $300 is the bare minimum I’d imagine 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?

The last Opus One I had was a 1989. I'm old.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Yay, a wine thread! I'm moving soon, so I'm busy drinking my stash, LOL.
    Tonight is a La Crema chardonnay (cheap-ish), with salmon, quinoa, sauteed kale and beet tops, broccoli. Finished off a bottle of 2013 Markham Napa Valley cab earlier (like I said, I'm moving; that calls for more wine).

Finally got around to a dessert wine the other day, Mine Mine Mine Chocolate from Gouger Cellars in Washington. Yum!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    jeffbr said:
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    Oh, geez, yes, save it! Drinking window probably starts in about 7 or 8 years, extending more than a decade from there. Enjoy! 

Do you have a Coravin? Then you could sample it over time as it ages. 
    The Juggler said: ho
    jeffbr said:
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    2013 library reserve 1.75 ml bottle
    Way past $300
    The Juggler said: ho
    jeffbr said:
    eddiec said:
     Not $30 a bottle....

Whoa! Serious stuff.
    You drinking or saving?
    2013 library reserve 1.75 ml bottle
    Way past $300
    Well well well.  That should come with a hummer from everyone in the Mondavi family.

Bottles can be had for $300ish, but clearly not those...
  • mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic wine.
    mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic wine.
    So dude just posted a pic of Opus One, but regarding wine like this.  I know they're so good, but I have such a tough time spending $50+ on a Napa Cab or something along those lines. I know they're great and have had plenty, but there are soooooo many good California Cabs that are $30 or so or even less. I feel like I am getting more bang for my buck going old world when I start spending a little more on wine. Like I'd prefer to buy a Brunello/Barolo as a $60+ wine and seek out the good $20-$30 cabs that are highly rated.

Am I crazy?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic wine.
    So dude just posted a pic of Opus One, but regarding wine like this.  I know they're so good, but I have such a tough time spending $50+ on a Napa Cab or something along those lines. I know they're great and have had plenty, but there are soooooo many good California Cabs that are $30 or so or even less. I feel like I am getting more bang for my buck going old world when I start spending a little more on wine. Like I'd prefer to buy a Brunello/Barolo as a $60+ wine and seek out the good $20-$30 cabs that are highly rated.

Am I crazy?
    No.  I'm right there with you.  California wines are a dime a dozen, so to speak.
    mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic wine.

Am I crazy?
    I totally agree with you. I usually  don’t spend more than $30/bottle. The stag s leap was a gift. Conn creek is a nice $30/bottle of Napa cab that I usually buy. 
    mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic wine.

Am I crazy?
    You are not crazy.
    A good brunello or a great one $60 and up is always a good thing.

The Opus One belongs to a friend. He needed one for a special event and is saving the rest.
    He did share some with me and I enjoyed it but would be just as happy with a good  California cab or a Brunello.
    mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic wine.

Am I crazy?
    You are not crazy.
    A good brunello or a great one $60 and up is always a good thing.

The Opus One belongs to a friend. He needed one for a special event and is saving the rest.
    He did share some with me and I enjoyed it but would be just as happy with a good  California cab or a Brunello.
     I never really drank brunello, what would you compare it to? Cab?  Pinot noir?