* THE WINE THREAD *

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
we used to have one on the old pit and on gtf. surprised there isn't one on this board....

anywho, your jeagler is enjoy a chairman selection this evening. a $45 bottle of wine for $15. god bless the state of pennsylvania. drinking a 2005 cab by carrefour vineyards out of...nappa valley. where else? :mrgreen:

DELICIOUS. goes down smooth. no bitter after taste. had some with dinner: perfectly grilled strip steaks (by your jeagler) with asparagus and rice. i'm now finishing the bottle off with some smoked pavarti cheese. that's a quality combination.

carrefour cab: jeagler reccomends.

what are YOU drinking?
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i bought this bottle of beaujolais the other day. lets just say i will not be becoming a regular beaujolais drinker in this lifetime or any other. its a bit weak.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    i bought this bottle of beaujolais the other day. lets just say i will not be becoming a regular beaujolais drinker in this lifetime or any other. its a bit weak.

not familiar with the kind of wine.

you aussies usually make some quality wine down there though.
    chinese-happy.jpg

it was french. im fairly sure there was anti freeze it in. ;):lol: yuk! think ill stick with the italians and more robust wines.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Not drinking tonight. Just watching the Duck game at work.

I did go on a little wine country tasting last weekend. Hit up the anne-amie and Sokol Blosser wineries. Enjoyed some fine grapes and sophisticated cheeses. I almost turned into Steve Brule.

Bought 3 bottles to drink though. An Anne-Amie Amrita and a Reisling for the Holidays. Then picked up a nice bottle of 2006 Pinot Noir

http://www.sokolblosser.com/

http://www.anneamie.com/
    NERDS!
  • i bought this bottle of beaujolais the other day. lets just say i will not be becoming a regular beaujolais drinker in this lifetime or any other. its a bit weak.

it was french. im fairly sure there was anti freeze it in. ;):lol: yuk! think ill stick with the italians and more robust wines.

Agreed. I think I've had one decent beaujolais in my life. The Italians make the best wines. My fave is Barolo and I also like a Barbera D'Asti. Chile also makes some lovely wines. Ahhh I could really use some right now.

Agreed. I think I've had one decent beaujolais in my life. The Italians make the best wines. My fave is Barolo and I also like a Barbera D'Asti. Chile also makes some lovely wines. Ahhh I could really use some right now.

im a merlot drinker usually. italian and australian. but lately ive been drinking australian pinot noir. and its a nice drop. i gave the french a chance. they blew it. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    anywho, your jeagler is enjoy a chairman selection this evening. a $45 bottle of wine for $15. god bless the state of pennsylvania. drinking a 2005 cab by carrefour vineyards out of...nappa valley. where else? :mrgreen:

Look for the Taurasi deal - it's a $45 bottle for $20 - Feudi di San Gregorio.

You need to get the specific villages' Beaujolais. I like Morgon.
    Not drinking tonight. Just watching the Duck game at work.

I did go on a little wine country tasting last weekend. Hit up the anne-amie and Sokol Blosser wineries. Enjoyed some fine grapes and sophisticated cheeses. I almost turned into Steve Brule.

Bought 3 bottles to drink though. An Anne-Amie Amrita and a Reisling for the Holidays. Then picked up a nice bottle of 2006 Pinot Noir

http://www.sokolblosser.com/

http://www.anneamie.com/

Oregon wines are clearly my favorite in the USA. I picked up an Adelsheim pinot gris today.
    The Italians make the best wines. My fave is Barolo and I also like a Barbera D'Asti. Chile also makes some lovely wines. Ahhh I could really use some right now.

Barbera is one of my favorite grapes. I usually go for d'Alba.

A great, cheap, delicious white wine is Cline viognier. I'm afraid of getting sick of it, but i never do.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I had a bottle of Riesling on labor day. It was great. I only drink 3 or 4 times a year and when I do I drink a bottle in an hour and I'm fucked. I also want to try making it. Anybody make wine?
    I'll be back
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257

Ewww. That's all I can wish for you indeed, that you wouldn't become a regular Beaujolais drinker !

I hate Beaujolais, always wondered how people could appreciate it ;)
    Actually, I've always thought it was some marketing trick : hey, we make some disgusting wine out there, nobody would normally drink it, so let's just create a big event around it, so you'd feel like you have to taste it and talk about it ! :)

I would go for some Burgundy or Bordeaux wine, that's aged a bit thus has reached its "majority" and is "fully grown up" when I drink it :D
    im a merlot drinker usually. italian and australian. but lately ive been drinking australian pinot noir. and its a nice drop. i gave the french a chance. they blew it. :lol:

Please, if you can find it, give this one a chance (to state just one) : Marquis de Saint-Estèphe (Bordeaux) in red, of course ! Grrr, I can't believe French blew their chance over the Beaujolais :x
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    we used to have one on the old pit and on gtf. surprised there isn't one on this board....

DELICIOUS. goes down smooth. no bitter after taste. had some with dinner: perfectly grilled strip steaks (by your jeagler) with asparagus and rice. i'm now finishing the bottle off with some smoked pavarti cheese. that's a quality combination.

what are YOU drinking?
    Ruffino Chanti with Carrabba's curbside, chicken angel hair pasta, shrimp scampi, buffalo mozzarella with tomato and basil. Nice pairing, lots of wine and no cooking or dishes :clap:;)
    thank you JB for treating :D
    myra wrote:

Please, if you can find it, give this one a chance (to state just one) : Marquis de Saint-Estèphe (Bordeaux) in red, of course ! Grrr, I can't believe French blew their chance over the Beaujolais :x

I never thought to buy that beaujolais nouveau crap. There definitely is some good stuff out there. The producers making good stuff are really suffering because of the poor quality plonk that the big guys dumped on everyone.

South of France is usually a good bet - GSM (grenache, syrah & mourvedre) blends are my favorite. Love the whites too.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pandora wrote:

what are YOU drinking?
    Ruffino Chanti with Carrabba's curbside, chicken angel hair pasta, shrimp scampi, buffalo mozzarella with tomato and basil. Nice pairing, lots of wine and no cooking or dishes :clap:;)
    thank you JB for treating :D

I also really like the Ruffino Chianti!

Johnny Abruzzo, I have tried that one as well and it is good too but the D'Asti remains my fave.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Enjoyed a great bottle of NZ Hawkes Bay Cab Merlot on Saturday can't remember the brand :?
    Last weekend it was a bottle of NZ Marlborough Cab Sav and a bottle of Hawkes Sav Blanc.
    I try to support local if I can otherwise fond of Aussie wines too.
    all you need is love, love is all you need

I never thought to buy that beaujolais nouveau crap. There definitely is some good stuff out there. The producers making good stuff are really suffering because of the poor quality plonk that the big guys dumped on everyone.

South of France is usually a good bet - GSM (grenache, syrah & mourvedre) blends are my favorite. Love the whites too.

I wouldn't disagree, given that I am surrounded by vineyards !
    You'd want to be careful with the Cotes de Provence though, some are very good, some yet benefit from the hype and don't live up to expectations.
    myra wrote:

I wouldn't disagree, given that I am surrounded by vineyards !
    You'd want to be careful with the Cotes de Provence though, some are very good, some yet benefit from the hype and don't live up to expectations.

Went to Provence a few years ago. I think we drank about 2/3 rose' on that trip. But pretty much everything we drank was delicious!

taurasi deal huh? i didn't realize any wnba players had their own wines :mrgreen:

gotta love a chairman's selection. i will look for that. thanks
    chinese-happy.jpg

taurasi deal huh? i didn't realize any wnba players had their own wines :mrgreen:

gosh wish i knew what i said ehre so i could reply. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

you didn't say anything. you just emphatically ended a non existent sentence. nicely done.
    chinese-happy.jpg

you didn't say anything. you just emphatically ended a non existent sentence. nicely done.

thank you. i guess. :?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Haha. Taurasi is an Italian DOC from the Campania region. It's made from the aglianico grape (ahhl-YAN-ee-co). The same producer/region has good white wines - greco di tufo, fiano & falenghina.

Italian wine is pretty crazy - they grow about 3,000 different grapes throughout the country. France has, like, 30. I have no evidence to back up these stats.

Haha. Taurasi is an Italian DOC from the Campania region. It's made from the aglianico grape (ahhl-YAN-ee-co). The same producer/region has good white wines - greco di tufo, fiano & falenghina.

Italian wine is pretty crazy - they grow about 3,000 different grapes throughout the country. France has, like, 30. I have no evidence to back up these stats.

the french lose again, eh?

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg

French are very good at losing. Since they don't want to admit it, they usually get away with a definitive statement, like 'The best wines are French. Wines are French. We invented the whole concept of wine. If any other country out there makes wines, that must be out of pure spite and jealousy. We own that whole wine thing'.

I need to check that statistic thing, we just can't be loosing again, can we ? :D
    myra wrote:

French are very good at losing. Since they don't want to admit it, they usually get away with a definitive statement, like 'The best wines are French. Wines are French. We invented the whole concept of wine. If any other country out there makes wines, that must be out of pure spite and jealousy. We own that whole wine thing'.

I need to check that statistic thing, we just can't be loosing again, can we ? :D

comment taille vous?

je suis tres bien.
    chinese-happy.jpg

comment taillez-vous?

je suis tres bien.

myra wrote:

comment taillez-vous?

je suis tres bien.

maintnent pour apprender le francaise, nous avons invente une histoire.
    "now in order to learn french, we will read a book."

that's about the extent of my french. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Jeags, I was unaware of the fact eagles fans were sophisticated enough to enjoy wine....
    On a wine note though, I am always down for some Malbec with a steak.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jeags, I was unaware of the fact eagles fans were sophisticated enough to enjoy wine....

i even speak a little french.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i even speak a little french.

I noticed that one post up. This is a quite shocking.