Options

E-book vs Print book?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    rrivers wrote:
    What an idea, catefrances!

I don't deny that there are advantages. My point was that no one was clamoring for this device before it came out. If someone finished a book at lunch, maybe they bought a newspaper, had a conversation, went back to work earlier, or (and I know this wouldn't apply to LizardJam) started the other book they brought with them that one day because they figured they would finish it at lunch. I know carrying two paperbacks requires enormous strength and careful planning.

Plus books never break down or need recharging. Or backing up. As I stated earlier I love my ipod, think it is a fantastic invention. But last Friday I bought an external hard drive to back up all my songs and my wife's songs plus the pictures on our computer. I followed the directions on apple.com for backing them up and transferring them and then I went to itunes and it was empty and the hard drive was empty as well. After talking to apple support for close to two hours we restored all the songs but after I was thinking I used to just buy a cd and that was it.

Just saying there are advantages and disadvantages to this stuff.

There are advantages and disadvantages. I was talking about the advantages of an ebook to those who are dramatically saying it would be the end of the world.

It makes life easier. I read at lunch. Do you really think I'm thinking about that when I get home? Family life is busy. Packing a lunch for the few of us, doesn't always include sitting and thinking about where I am in my book. It means getting our butts together and out the door with something to eat in time and not be late for work.

I enjoy my lunches. I bring a book so I don't have to socialize or go to the store(so buying more reading material is moot). I leave the building and usually just sit in my car to read. My job is stressful, it is an escape. I don't want to go back early.

I'm not saying anything is the end of the world. I was pointing out why eReaders are wonderful. Do I still love physical books? Yep. But, I don't think eReaders are evil and the end of anything.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    I think the two can easily coexist. I have my books and love them, I have my Kindle2 and love it. The only problem for me is the ease with which I can order a book on the Kindle, delivery in under a minute for $10?! Yeah, those $10 credit card charges add up quickly.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    ponner1us wrote:
    I think the two can easily coexist. I have my books and love them, I have my Kindle2 and love it. The only problem for me is the ease with which I can order a book on the Kindle, delivery in under a minute for $10?! Yeah, those $10 credit card charges add up quickly.

yep, I agree. Once in awhile i find free books, but I had a bit surprise at times when I got my CC bill.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    I think as time goes on we may find that smaller novels (i.e. one that isn't expected to sell well, first time author ect) will only be released digitally and only larger and popular will be printed in the classic book form.

Personally I do have my reservations about how popular these eReaders will become. I don't really fancy reading a book on a computer. There will always be books around.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I can only speak about the Kindle because I don't have much experience with other e-readers but I have to say reading off the Kindle is not like a computer at all. It has a paper look to it that makes it easy on the eyes. I was a bit skeptical about that but I truly don't feel like I'm straining my eyes like how I feel after working at a computer all day at work.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

There are advantages and disadvantages. I was talking about the advantages of an ebook to those who are dramatically saying it would be the end of the world.

It makes life easier. I read at lunch. Do you really think I'm thinking about that when I get home? Family life is busy. Packing a lunch for the few of us, doesn't always include sitting and thinking about where I am in my book. It means getting our butts together and out the door with something to eat in time and not be late for work.

I enjoy my lunches. I bring a book so I don't have to socialize or go to the store(so buying more reading material is moot). I leave the building and usually just sit in my car to read. My job is stressful, it is an escape. I don't want to go back early.

I'm not saying anything is the end of the world. I was pointing out why eReaders are wonderful. Do I still love physical books? Yep. But, I don't think eReaders are evil and the end of anything.

I was not someone who said it was the end of the world. My only point was that no one was complaining about carrying a book around until e-readers came out and now people are trying to justify why they spent $200 plus on an e-reader so they tell themselves how convenient it is. I would rather spend that $200 on books.

What I think will happen is books will always be around, much like vinyl records.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

I was not someone who said it was the end of the world. My only point was that no one was complaining about carrying a book around until e-readers came out and now people are trying to justify why they spent $200 plus on an e-reader so they tell themselves how convenient it is. I would rather spend that $200 on books.

What I think will happen is books will always be around, much like vinyl records.

It used to frustrate me that I grabbed the wrong book in the morning, or I was without a book to read because I wasn't in the habit of carrying multiples. Would i necessarily complain about it to anyone? No. But, if brought up, like here, yes.

I doubt there was\is a prevalence of whiny book readers but, now it's a topic.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

It used to frustrate me that I grabbed the wrong book in the morning, or I was without a book to read because I wasn't in the habit of carrying multiples. Would i necessarily complain about it to anyone? No. But, if brought up, like here, yes.

I doubt there was\is a prevalence of whiny book readers but, now it's a topic.

Yeah thank God there are e-readers so all of you who can't remember what book you are reading has 300 books to carry with you at all times. And you never have to worry about remembering to charge it or forgetting your power cord. You always fail to mention the other things the e-reader brings to the table when its not convenient to your thin argument.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Yeah thank God there are e-readers so all of you who can't remember what book you are reading has 300 books to carry with you at all times. And you never have to worry about remembering to charge it or forgetting your power cord. You always fail to mention the other things the e-reader brings to the table when its not convenient to your thin argument.

You're getting pretty heated here. I'm not arguing. Not sure what you mean by thin? That you don't feel I have a point? Granted, I see not everyone looks forward to their lunch everyday to sitting down with the book they want to read only to find i brought the wrong one. Now, no, it's not the end of my life but it is frustrating. Hence my liking the eReader. Why does that piss you off so much? It is a worthy reason to me, and really, that's all I need. I don't need to prove to you that it's life or death 'cause I don't have my book. Books and the eReaders are luxuries so why is this such a huge deal to you? I was simply making a point as to why I like them and why they would make my life easier.

Anyone with any stress or a busy life(because really, do you know what's occupying my thoughts daily?) in their life can understand that at the end of my lunch and my day, I don't sit and think about where I am in the book or to make sure I put a new one in my lunch. So, yeah, an eReader would solve one of my minor frustrations.

As to your "technical" aspects. You can bet I'm going to buy a car charger the day I get the reader. I've got one for all my electronics. I've already learned that lesson!

Calm down, it's just an eReader. No one said it's going to replace the physical book.

• Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    You're getting pretty heated here. I'm not arguing. Not sure what you mean by thin? That you don't feel I have a point? Granted, I see not everyone looks forward to their lunch everyday to sitting down with the book they want to read only to find i brought the wrong one. Now, no, it's not the end of my life but it is frustrating. Hence my liking the eReader. Why does that piss you off so much? It is a worthy reason to me, and really, that's all I need. I don't need to prove to you that it's life or death 'cause I don't have my book. Books and the eReaders are luxuries so why is this such a huge deal to you? I was simply making a point as to why I like them and why they would make my life easier.

Anyone with any stress or a busy life(because really, do you know what's occupying my thoughts daily?) in their life can understand that at the end of my lunch and my day, I don't sit and think about where I am in the book or to make sure I put a new one in my lunch. So, yeah, an eReader would solve one of my minor frustrations.

As to your "technical" aspects. You can bet I'm going to buy a car charger the day I get the reader. I've got one for all my electronics. I've already learned that lesson!

Calm down, it's just an eReader. No one said it's going to replace the physical book.

You're not arguing but make an argument every post. :D

<Between you and me, I'm just killing time at work. Cheers! :D:D;) >
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

You're not arguing but make an argument every post. :D

<Between you and me, I'm just killing time at work. Cheers! :D:D;) >

Ok good 'cause it sounded heated! :)

I was just trying to say how much I'd love one. I swear these posts almost made me buy one today. I am trying to save money...but damn i want a NOOK!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I also forgot to take my book to my car at lunch today. Good thing getting crickets took most of it. I had nothing to read! :mrgreen:

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Sent to me by a friend recently.  haha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Sent to me by a friend recently.  haha!

:rofl:

I have my books ... and my poetry to protect me.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    E-Books come in handy when your house burns down and you lose your entire library (unfortunately something I have experienced).  You can re-download the books.  I also like that I can set the font to a common standard.  Makes it easier on my eyes.