Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Anyone going to get the PS4 or XBox One "upgrades" when they come out?
    I don't even have a 4K TV, so I don't see the point.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Long way off yet, but I would definitely consider the more powerful version of the Xbox coming next year (Project Scorpio). I am not sure if Sony is doing a band aid console to cover 4K like Xbox One S, or if they're going right for upping specs, but I suppose games may start to be built for the better hardware.

I also don't have a 4K tv, either way.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Game developers have to program based on the original xbox1 and ps4 specs so I'm not sure what good an upgrade will do except if you are using them to watch TV programming.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Jason P said:

Game developers have to program based on the original xbox1 and ps4 specs so I'm not sure what good an upgrade will do except if you are using them to watch TV programming.

I think the plan is to somehow make games in 4k that will still play at 1080p on the older consoles.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I have no interest in buying another system right now to replace the one I just bought
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    MayDay10 said:

I have no interest in buying another system right now to replace the one I just bought

I get that. I will pass on this new xbox this year, but will likely go for the one next fall if it runs 4k games. Gaming is already remarkable on my 4k tv in 1080. I will be stoked to see it in the intended resolution.
  • Options
    nothing really big out of e3 for me. I guess Skyrim remastered appeals to me the most.

New systems dont excite me at all. Still using a 1080 47 inch LCD.

The one thing that really pisses me off is the lack of storage space on the PS4. It doesnt even seem like I have much and its all clogged up.
    Most of my games, I want to play (I don't have a ton of gaming time)... but when I do there is a humongous update that requires me to delete a bunch of games (who knows what kind of irreversible damage that does to save game progress and such and If ill later be able to recover the game).... then the thing downloads for a long time and I cant play.

They need some sort of external storage option
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

nothing really big out of e3 for me. I guess Skyrim remastered appeals to me the most.

The one thing that really pisses me off is the lack of storage space on the PS4. It doesnt even seem like I have much and its all clogged up.
    Most of my games, I want to play (I don't have a ton of gaming time)... but when I do there is a humongous update that requires me to delete a bunch of games (who knows what kind of irreversible damage that does to save game progress and such and If ill later be able to recover the game).... then the thing downloads for a long time and I cant play.

Not external, but a 2.5 inch SATA drive can be swapped in. https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/
  • Options
    ^^ I did that with my PS3. Was quite easy and you can get 1-2TB drives for pretty cheap anymore.
    Pretty sure at some point I'll have to do it for my PS4 too. Hell, the only games I buy are on disc, but those updates and crap take up a ton of space.
  • Options
    2.5 inch internal type (9.5mm or slimmer) *
    Serial ATA (Parallel ATA is not supported)
    * Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models. While other drive types may work, we only recommend using officially supported drives with your PS4 system.

This confuses me. Unsure what to invest in... What are 'officially supported drives'?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    MayDay10 said:

2.5 inch internal type (9.5mm or slimmer) *
    Serial ATA (Parallel ATA is not supported)
    * Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models. While other drive types may work, we only recommend using officially supported drives with your PS4 system.

This confuses me. Unsure what to invest in... What are 'officially supported drives'?

I believe hybrid/ss drives and 7200 rpm drives might be unsupported. I think if you went with any brand name 2.5 inch/9mm/5400rpm/mechanical drive you would be fine.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure people have put in 7200 and solid state drives into PS3s and PS4s before. I don't think you'll get much of a performance upgrade though.
    Any "laptop" 2.5 5400 should work though.

You can find tons of Youtube videos on how to do it. That's basically what I did when I upgraded my PS3 HD.
  • Options
    cant they just release one that plugs in and is interchangeable?

I really dont know if I trust myself kind of blindly shopping for one of these things and taking apart my PS4 based on youtube videos.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

cant they just release one that plugs in and is interchangeable?

I really dont know if I trust myself kind of blindly shopping for one of these things and taking apart my PS4 based on youtube videos.

You can, it's super easy. All you need is a small screw driver. I'm the least "handy" person ever and I was able to do it really easily. The hardware swap take 5 minutes and the rest of the time is backing up the software and the PS3/4 formatting the drive. Whole thing took me less than an hour and most of that was waiting for the system to do the work.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

I'm pretty sure people have put in 7200 and solid state drives into PS3s and PS4s before. I don't think you'll get much of a performance upgrade though.
    Any "laptop" 2.5 5400 should work though.

You can find tons of Youtube videos on how to do it. That's basically what I did when I upgraded my PS3 HD.

Oh yeah, most will work. I was just talking about what was officially supported by Sony.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I liked Horizon 3 and the new XB systems. VR stuff doesn't interest me at the moment. I loved Skyrim but I can't see me getting a copy for the new system.

I'm surprised PS4 doesn't have an external storage option, that can't be too far off. Like everyone else has said, most 2.5" SATA drives will work. Was very easy with the PS3.
  • Options
    Anyone excited about the upcoming and future of VR as a gaming accessory or system?
    I don't see what the buzz is, but then again I've never tried it. Can't imagine spending $400+ on something like that.
  • Options
    I almost pre-ordered it, then decided against it.

I am in a wait and see mode. I think the novelty will be cool but the first bunch of games will probably leave a lot to be desired. Once everything gets streamlined they have some decent games, it will probably be a couple years and pricing may drop.

Im more of an open world/sandbox gamer and I dabble in sports games. Once these get incorporated into this technology, it will be cool. I picture the first wave of games to be extremely linear/prescripted.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    mca47 said:

Anyone excited about the upcoming and future of VR as a gaming accessory or system?
    I don't see what the buzz is, but then again I've never tried it. Can't imagine spending $400+ on something like that.

I bought the PS4 Camera thinking they were developing it for the purpose of interactive party games. I still hope this happens, but it looks like it's mostly gonna be use for the VR?

I saw that preview of Resident Evil on VR. F. That. I think I'd poop my pants after 5 minutes.

All in all, seems pretty legit - considering I got the free Gear when I got my new phone, and that's not bad - but I don't think I could shell out 400 bones for it.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I am in a wait and see mode. I think the novelty will be cool but the first bunch of games will probably leave a lot to be desired. Once everything gets streamlined they have some decent games, it will probably be a couple years and pricing may drop.

Im more of an open world/sandbox gamer and I dabble in sports games. Once these get incorporated into this technology, it will be cool. I picture the first wave of games to be extremely linear/prescripted.

Almost everything I've seen so far seems to be more or less an interactive movie...aka linear gameplay. I've also heard most games are going to be between $20-40...which leads me to believe that no AAA developer has anything in the works for it. Read a user review of the Batman game coming with it, but it sounds like it's just a Batman detective kinda thing...and you're not even allowed to move around as both hands are Move controllers. Dude said it was cool, but also didn't feel like you were totally engrossed in the world because you couldn't naturally move.
    I'm always cautious with Sony's releases. I have a Vita. They hyped the shit out of it for a while and then nothing. Dead system. I also have the Move controllers and the camera (which would work out nicely with the VR) but that was pretty much DOA and nothing more for 2-3 more years until they realized they could be used with the VR....which may have been their plan all along...and which would really give them a step up on the other VR systems as most either don't have controllers or the accuracy which the Move controllers bring. Who knows.
    A first person shooter, or a Dark Souls kind of game would literally send the Sony stock through the roof.
  • Options

mca47 said:

I bought the PS4 Camera thinking they were developing it for the purpose of interactive party games. I still hope this happens, but it looks like it's mostly gonna be use for the VR?

I saw that preview of Resident Evil on VR. F. That. I think I'd poop my pants after 5 minutes.

All in all, seems pretty legit - considering I got the free Gear when I got my new phone, and that's not bad - but I don't think I could shell out 400 bones for it.
    I have the camera too and I wouldn't expect anything out of it more than VR at this point...or at least not much more than it already does.
  • Options
    Behold .... THE FUTURE!

• Options
    mca47 said:

MayDay10 said:

Almost everything I've seen so far seems to be more or less an interactive movie...aka linear gameplay.
    Yeah, this is what Im expecting. Really cool to look around 360 but really only a novelty and basically an interactive movie. Like that old VCR College Football game and Sega CD games.

Now if it hits the next level and takes off... Maybe even incorporating the Move controllers... totally worth it. But its definitely something to wait on before investing.
  • Options
    Hearts of Iron IV is really fucking good
  • Options
    Just bought a gaming laptop ... I forgot how interacting with PC systems is so FUCKING GODDAMN INFURIATING MOTHER FUCKING SHIT FUCK INSTALLING GAMES AND GETTING A CONTROLLER TO WORK ... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I NEED TO FIGHT A HIPPO AND BEAT IT TO DEATH WITH A TOOTH BRUSH TO NEGATE THE FURY I NOW FEEL!!!!!!

• Options
    Jason P said:

Just bought a gaming laptop ... I forgot how interacting with PC systems is so FUCKING GODDAMN INFURIATING MOTHER FUCKING SHIT FUCK INSTALLING GAMES AND GETTING A CONTROLLER TO WORK ... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I NEED TO FIGHT A HIPPO AND BEAT IT TO DEATH WITH A TOOTH BRUSH TO NEGATE THE FURY I NOW FEEL!!!!!!

It's still hard huh? I haven't played a game on PC in years. You'd think it would be a lot easier now days.
  • Options
    So how are you PS4 guys enjoying No Man's Sky? I assume you all bought it immediately :)
  • Options
    Rygar said:

So how are you PS4 guys enjoying No Man's Sky? I assume you all bought it immediately :)

I honestly don't know too much about the game. A buddy of mine texted me saying it was fun, but that's pretty much it.

• Options
    NMS looks like a cool concept, but very repetitive. I figured I've waited so long to see what is was going to turn out, but it looks like an exploration game.
  • Options
    My brother and cousin are both playing NMS and they're saying a fair number of the criticisms are reaching at best. I don't know if that's just a case of them not experiencing the issues or having a completely different experience.

Anyone here play Dirt Rally? I've long been a fan of the Dirt series and have had my eye on this one. Destiny is still taking up all my time, despite having done near everything in the game...