Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    Kind of funny how Saxo demanded that the peloton slow down and ride tempo in stage 2 to let Andy Schleck catch back up. Schleck's tour would have been over if not for this. Yet yesterday they drove a torrid pace as some GC contenders had mechanical problems or were caught up in some crashes. AC will crush them in the Mt's.

i'm a bit torn on that ... half the peleton crashed with many of the GC guys ... contador wanted to wait for the shlecks too ... part of the reason for the crash tho was the motorcycle leading the tour crashed and spilt oil all over an already slick road ... making it virtually impossible to stay upright ...

i think cancellara's/saxo's opinion is that if you are gonna slow down and let everyone catch up - then there shouldn't be a sprint at the end which i kinda agree with ... also, cancellara was the big loser in all of it because he lost his yellow jersey at the time ...

yesterday's stage was different because flats are part of the racing day ...
    Yes, that was pretty much the Saxos' explanation.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    Kloddz wrote:
    An interesting article I read today has Andy with one advantage over Contador, and that is Lance's support. Given the brooding animosity between Lance and Contador, once Lance has lost enough time to not be a contender himself anymore (which some might say he has already), he might tend to helping Andy catch up on Contador's escapes in the mountain stages rather than letting the guy just get away without contention. Just pure speculation of course, but worth looking at once the mountain stages hit.
    so....lance is vindictive?? I'm shocked, i tell you, shocked! ;) i love this event. i'm kind of half watching, right now, but I'll have 3-4 more chances to really watch later (which is a good thing).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    Kind of funny how Saxo demanded that the peloton slow down and ride tempo in stage 2 to let Andy Schleck catch back up. Schleck's tour would have been over if not for this. Yet yesterday they drove a torrid pace as some GC contenders had mechanical problems or were caught up in some crashes. AC will crush them in the Mt's.

i'm a bit torn on that ... half the peleton crashed with many of the GC guys ... contador wanted to wait for the shlecks too ... part of the reason for the crash tho was the motorcycle leading the tour crashed and spilt oil all over an already slick road ... making it virtually impossible to stay upright ...

i think cancellara's/saxo's opinion is that if you are gonna slow down and let everyone catch up - then there shouldn't be a sprint at the end which i kinda agree with ... also, cancellara was the big loser in all of it because he lost his yellow jersey at the time ...

yesterday's stage was different because flats are part of the racing day ...

as for AC in the mtns ... yer probably right but my understanding of this years climbs are that it favours the guys that can go up steady and the guys like contador who have a third lung don't necessarily have that huge an advantage ... or so i read ...

Plus Saxo was driving a huge pace prior to hitting the major cobbles, RS could not or did not hang. The new rules they were discussing during the telecast seem messed up re: team cars and flats. You get a flat you are pretty much screwed can set you back up to 2 minutes. LA said it took over 40 secs to get back on the road after his flat.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Kloddz wrote:
    An interesting article I read today has Andy with one advantage over Contador, and that is Lance's support. Given the brooding animosity between Lance and Contador, once Lance has lost enough time to not be a contender himself anymore (which some might say he has already), he might tend to helping Andy catch up on Contador's escapes in the mountain stages rather than letting the guy just get away without contention. Just pure speculation of course, but worth looking at once the mountain stages hit.
    so....lance is vindictive?? I'm shocked, i tell you, shocked! ;) i love this event. i'm kind of half watching, right now, but I'll have 3-4 more chances to really watch later (which is a good thing).

Agree 100% great event. This year has had a lot more drama earlier on in the race. Love the cobbles to mix it up a bit. Really disappointed that there is no team time trial one of my fav's to watch. VS. is good with all of the replays they really need to ease of the commercials a little way too many
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Pats54 wrote:
    Plus Saxo was driving a huge pace prior to hitting the major cobbles, RS could not or did not hang. The new rules they were discussing during the telecast seem messed up re: team cars and flats. You get a flat you are pretty much screwed can set you back up to 2 minutes. LA said it took over 40 secs to get back on the road after his flat.

ya ... not sure where the heck the rest of the RS guys were ... kloden had an earlier flat so he wasn't around ... but basically, you need a teammate to give up wheels like lancaster did for sastre yesterday ... and there were no RS guys around ... frig ... i think lance was the only RS guy to finish in the top 3 groups ...

also, i don't see lance pulling for anyone but himself ... he might pull for levi if he's in contention but i don't see him pulling for andy ... lance is gonna crack large on the tourmalet ...
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    VS. is good with all of the replays they really need to ease of the commercials a little way too many
    omg, so true. just last night, i told my wife if you dvr'd the 2 hour show, you could probably watch it in 30 mins. :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

ya ... not sure where the heck the rest of the RS guys were ... kloden had an earlier flat so he wasn't around ... but basically, you need a teammate to give up wheels like lancaster did for sastre yesterday ... and there were no RS guys around ... frig ... i think lance was the only RS guy to finish in the top 3 groups ...

also, i don't see lance pulling for anyone but himself ... he might pull for levi if he's in contention but i don't see him pulling for andy ... lance is gonna crack large on the tourmalet ...

I know it is early but I am wondering how good this RS team really is. Nothing like the postal teams earlier in the decade when they had GH & Eki etc.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    VS. is good with all of the replays they really need to ease of the commercials a little way too many
    omg, so true. just last night, i told my wife if you dvr'd the 2 hour show, you could probably watch it in 30 mins. :roll:

Could also use a little more of Phil and Paul in prime time not just the last 30secs of the race.
  • Options
    Props to Tyler Farrar riding over those cobbles with a broken wrist.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:

Could also use a little more of Phil and Paul in prime time not just the last 30secs of the race.
    more phil + paul = less craig hummer :thumbup:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

more phil + paul = less craig hummer :thumbup:

That guy never shuts up
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:

http://www.liggettfan.com/main.htm#tier1

:lol::lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

http://www.liggettfan.com/main.htm#tier1

:lol::lol::lol:

Those quotes are great. Nice sprint finish today. Would like to see Mcewen win one of these sprint stages.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Would like to see Mcewen win one of these sprint stages.
    did you catch the post sprint interview? dude was GASSED!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    Would like to see Mcewen win one of these sprint stages.
    did you catch the post sprint interview? dude was GASSED!

Yes he could barely catch his breath plus he is riding hurt, hip or leg injury of some sort. He said he had no power in his legs and still finishes 4th. I would like to ride like that with no power in my legs. Most of these guys are tough as nail. Pettachi looks tough to beat this year. Seems like a lot of the big sprinters have some injuries. Cracks me up how they all say I just need to ride more and make it to the next week and the injury should work itself out, after putting in another 500-600 miles. Prob. using some good chemicals.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Those quotes are great. Nice sprint finish today. Would like to see Mcewen win one of these sprint stages.

love that guy!! ... guy does wheelies during mtn stages cuz he knows he's not gonna finish anywhere near the leaders ...

another sprint today i suspect
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Most of these guys are tough as nail. Seems like a lot of the big sprinters have some injuries.
    you've seen video of the sprint crash at the tour de suisse, right? :shock: :shock: :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    Most of these guys are tough as nail. Seems like a lot of the big sprinters have some injuries.
    you've seen video of the sprint crash at the tour de suisse, right? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes that crash was crazy, those guys live on the edge for sure. Racing for the line in a bunch sprint at 40-50mph is crazy. VS. should add that clip to their coverage (they might have). Instead of giving us the same story of how the first American team 7eleven was a joke in their first tour. They que that story up all the time year after year enough already.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

love that guy!! ... guy does wheelies during mtn stages cuz he knows he's not gonna finish anywhere near the leaders ...

another sprint today i suspect
    at 5-7 it takes some balls to be able to mixe it up with the bigger sprinters at those speeds. Hopefully he grabs a stage win sometime this tour.
  • Options
    yikes ... farrar was awful ... having your guys do a great job like that and to butcher it like that is awful ... feel bad for garmin ... renshaw --> cavendish was perfection today ...

the alps can't come soon enuf ...
  • Options
    never a big cav fan, but to see him crying today changed my mind a bit.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

lost his grandmother a few weeks ago and got blasted yesterday ... he does suck out of a sprint if he isn't going to win ...
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Interview with F. Schleck today in a Lux newspaper - he says he'll be back on the bike in 2 weeks. These guys are tough. :twisted:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

lost his grandmother a few weeks ago and got blasted yesterday ... he does suck out of a sprint if he isn't going to win ...

Never really a big fan either. He was a beast again today, by the time he launches there is no one that can touch him. Bring on the Mt's
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Never really a big fan either. He was a beast again today, by the time he launches there is no one that can touch him. Bring on the Mt's

renshaw is the key ... that guy is brilliant ... his leadouts are second to none ... not sure what garmin was doing at the end there ... they are blowing their load waaaay too early ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

renshaw is the key ... that guy is brilliant ... his leadouts are second to none ... not sure what garmin was doing at the end there ... they are blowing their load waaaay too early ...
    Agreed renshaw just delivers the victories for him. He really makes it look easy. Farrar 2nd not bad for a guy who has a broken wrist. Not to beat a dead horse bu love the day coverage with Phil and Paul, not sure why they don't use that loop in the evening for the primetime coverage, I am usually at work. Just saw a fight with two riders one guy wasn't even off his bike. Phil said somthing like he obviously had a rough day out there on the bike today.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Agreed renshaw just delivers the victories for him. He really makes it look easy. Farrar 2nd not bad for a guy who has a broken wrist. Not to beat a dead horse bu love the day coverage with Phil and Paul, not sure why they don't use that loop in the evening for the primetime coverage, I am usually at work. Just saw a fight with two riders one guy wasn't even off his bike. Phil said somthing like he obviously had a rough day out there on the bike today.

ya ... up here in canada - they used to loop it but they aren't doing it this year which pisses me off as i have to go and find a tv in the office to watch the final sprints ... gonna be harder when they hit the pyrnees next week ...

farrar messed up today ... if he was on hunter's wheel, he would have won ... garmin had perfect position out of the last turn but apparently he decided to stick to cavendish's wheel for some reason ...
  • Options
    Kloddz wrote:
    Interview with F. Schleck today in a Lux newspaper - he says he'll be back on the bike in 2 weeks. These guys are tough. :twisted:
    like soccer players! :lol::lol::lol:
    "ow, ow, ow! my leg is broken"....writhes in pain....re-enters game a minute later. :roll:

yup, I also enjoyed todays sprint. the aerial shots are badass....shows the amazing speed when whoever wins decides to "launch" :D
    Pats54 wrote:
    Not to beat a dead horse bu love the day coverage with Phil and Paul,
    today, phil said some guy in front was so big that "my goodness, you can barely see the rest of the peloton" :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Not to beat a dead horse bu love the day coverage with Phil and Paul,
    today, phil said some guy in front was so big that "my goodness, you can barely see the rest of the peloton" :lol:[/quote]

I heard that and was laughing my ass off he was refering to one of the RS riders. You see the fight? It was also on PTI the one rider wnet after the other guy with wheel. Funny stuff
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    You see the fight? It was also on PTI the one rider wnet after the other guy with wheel. Funny stuff
    i did not see the fight. I need to see the fight! :cry::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14