Options

so i've got the vinyl......but how am i going to listen to it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    NMyTree wrote:
    Yes, I do.

I believe you get what you pay for. You pay peanuts, you get crap.

Crap that you won't even really enjoy.

Because crap can't convey the beauty and benefits of a good vinyl record.

Crap could only convey the cheap and crappy parts used to make crap.

Crap could only convey the crappy design specifically conjured up.....to make crap.

:rolleyes: please...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    :rolleyes: please...

That's reality.

Believe what you want.

Let me give you an example.

A friend of mine always buys cheap DVD players. The ones that go from $39.99- 49.99 at Wal-Mart. Every year her DVD player craps out on her and she has to go buy another one. Over the last seven years she has bought seven DVD players (and her most current one is right on schedule to crap out, too). It's already freezing up and shutting off on it's own. So she'll be shopping for another one, shortly. Furthermore her DVD players always have a terrible picture and never look clear and sharp; from day one. Always kind of slightly distorted or fuzzy.

My first DVD player lasted eight years ($400.00) and the picture was always great, till the drive unit broke from the abuse it took from my kids. My current DVD player (going on it's fourth year of excellent service for me) an Integra DPS 10.5 is a high end model and cost a lot more ( Kids are forbidden from touching it). The picture is outstanding and works flawlessly. No doubt this player will be still cranking and working perfectly for another 10-15 years.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    How do these "DJ" turntables (if I can refer to them as such) compare to similarly priced "audiophile" turntables (pro-ject, rega etc...)?
  • Options
    If you can't tell the difference you can't tell the difference and you will be wasting your money.

Some of us have other things to spend our money on like concert tickets :)

Oh that reminds me- have to go down to the Showbox to get tix for Matt's benefit concert in a couple weeks. Ticketmaster wants to add 100% of the cost of ticket for service charges.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    How do these "DJ" turntables (if I can refer to them as such) compare to similarly priced "audiophile" turntables (pro-ject, rega etc...)?

In my opinion, the difference is more about features and design.

At those price points............

Rega & Pro-ject=Belt Driven

The DJ tables=Direct Drive.

The DJ tables have a ton of features ....for DJs, that the Rega & Pro-ject for home stereo systems do not.

They all have a little difference in sound (which can also be changed with different cartridges/tonearms and such).

But remember DJ tables are made to withstand a lot of heavy footfalls and floor shock/rumble.

While those made exclusively for home use are made to withstand your average floorshock/footfalls.

DJ tables may not deliver the finesse of the home tables, with the same delicacy.

Speaking for myself, I prefer the Techics and Numark for DJ tables. Don't like the Stantons.

The Regas are nice, but you have to be careful with system matching (the other components in your system; i.e. speakers, pre amps, amps); because in some systems they may come off bright sounding. But not usually.

If you don't need or want the features of a DJ, buy one of the Regas/Pro-ject.

If you want a turntable that can withstand the bouncing around...or dancing....or rough-housing of your friends or kids, while the music is playing on your turntable; get the Technics or Numark.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    If you can't tell the difference you can't tell the difference and you will be wasting your money.

Some of us have other things to spend our money on like concert tickets :)

Oh that reminds me- have to go down to the Showbox to get tix for Matt's benefit concert in a couple weeks. Ticketmaster wants to add 100% of the cost of ticket for service charges.

Yeah I know I ordered my tickets will-call it came to $40 for 2 tickets. That's unreal. They were $12 each.. Oh well still cheap for the chance to see Matt up close.

As for record players. A lot of bands have begun to release there stuff on vinyl. Presonally, I'm 25. I have my parents old record player and buy as much of my music as I can on vinyl. Then if I want I'll just download the mp3s to add to the ipod. My personal opinion is that any big music fan should have a record player. CD's dissolve and break down, records do not. There if you want your collection to last longer than a decade or so, buy vinyl
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • Options

That's also true.

Some people's hearing isn't sensitive enough to hear a difference.

Some people don't care to hear a difference, they just want it cheap. Not my way of doing things or my approach but to each his/her own.

I prefer to at least get equipment that compliments the format/medium, so I can hear/get the best out of that format/medium. Seems sensless to me to not provide the format/medium the vehicle (in this case a turntable) which conveys all the positive elements of the format/medium.

Otherwise, in my opinion, it's like buying a vacume cleaner that really doesn't suck too well. What's the point?
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    NMyTree wrote:
    But remember DJ tables are made to withstand a lot of heavy footfalls and floor shock/rumble.

While those made exclusively for home use are made to withstand your average floorshock/footfalls.

Also keep in mind that if you play your music loud, it could cause vibrations that would knock the needle off track on a turntable not made to withstand some rumble.

Speaking for myself, I prefer the Techics and Numark for DJ tables. Don't like the Stantons.

I gotta agree with this. I have Technics, and a friend had some Numarks and both make great turntables. I played around with a Stanton once and it just seemed like a cheap turntable.
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    ha ha all this expert talk is making me so embarassed of mine here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Solutions-DR130-Midi-Turntable/dp/B000VVMS44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200346687&sr=8-1

plugged into a TEAC H300 http://www.teac.co.uk/reference300_main.html#
    if anybody could take a look at the amplifier specs and let me know where im going wrong
    , it kind of does the job but ya do have to have the volume turned up a LOT more than if playing a cd. Is this normal or is it just cos my turntable is shit, or just cos i should have it plugged into a separate amp?

if anybody could take a look at the amplifier specs and let me know where im going wrong i would be most grateful :)

any help greatly appreciated ;)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    Also keep in mind that if you play your music loud, it could cause vibrations that would knock the needle off track on a turntable not made to withstand some rumble.

Yeah, there's a lot of contributing variables involved. That's why it's difficult to just suggest or tell anyone to "buy that one".
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    NMyTree wrote:

Dr. Delight,

The great thing about the MK2 is that in it's stock form, it is a woderful turntable. But if you want to improve on it even more, you can call KAB and talk to them about the modifications they can do; that will elevate the MK2's performance to a new level. I know a few guys who have had the improvements/modifications and the results are amazing!! It brings the MK2 to a level that it competes hard with $2,000/2,500 dollar tables. Maybe some tables that are even more expensive than that. KAB does a killer, high-quality job with their mods. It's a less expensive way of upgrading your turntable (MK2) without spending $2,000. And you can pick and choose what mods you want. Get several at one time, or only one or two at a time, over the period of a year...two years...what ever you want.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm
    Thanks, I may look into it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    ha ha all this expert talk is making me so embarassed of mine here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Solutions-DR130-Midi-Turntable/dp/B000VVMS44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200346687&sr=8-1

plugged into a TEAC H300 http://www.teac.co.uk/reference300_main.html#
    if anybody could take a look at the amplifier specs and let me know where im going wrong
    , it kind of does the job but ya do have to have the volume turned up a LOT more than if playing a cd. Is this normal or is it just cos my turntable is shit, or just cos i should have it plugged into a separate amp?

if anybody could take a look at the amplifier specs and let me know where im going wrong i would be most grateful :)

any help greatly appreciated ;)

Sounds like the turntable plugged into an AUX(illiary) input and not a PHONO input. Low volume is the result you get from doing this. If the unit does not have a PHONO input, then you need to have a separate amp. AUX =/= PHONO.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I wouldn't buy a turntable for one record. Frame it!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I'm considering that one:
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=AUDI-TECNICHA-PL50

my Yamaha AV receiver doesn't have phono in so I need pre-amp.
    it's about my budget (bought a really cheap one last year but it's really crap, no bass at all..and it's not just the lack of pre-amp).
    don't have floor speakers either yet, only average AV system (again no money for that...well, for that AND touring :p), so no point in high end.

..getting a bit deaf actually I think, so as long as I can get those warm bass I missed, I'm happy for my very little vinyl collection (I only got a CD player in late 91 ..but left my vinyls at my parents when travelling and those idiots moved whilst I was away and left them in a garage that got flooded!! :mad: covers are ruined and half of them won't play with paper stuck to them :(..think I left my Police, U2 ones with a cousin though..need to try to get them back :p..if they haven't been thrown away..)

ROFL...just tried to give a spin to a disc right now.. picked it pretty randomly, Clash album, put the needle: 'Know your rights'!! :D just find it a funny coincidence..
  • Options
    oh dear...just found myself ordering Ten, Lost Dogs and S/T from a UK shop..
    and also saw that The Who Live at the Royal Albert Hall is being released as 4 LPS next month..
    damn, I knew that was a dangerous slope!!
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Pegasus wrote:
    I'm considering that one:
    http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=AUDI-TECNICHA-PL50

my Yamaha AV receiver doesn't have phono in so I need pre-amp.
    it's about my budget (bought a really cheap one last year but it's really crap, no bass at all..and it's not just the lack of pre-amp).
    don't have floor speakers either yet, only average AV system (again no money for that...well, for that AND touring :p), so no point in high end.

..getting a bit deaf actually I think, so as long as I can get those warm bass I missed, I'm happy for my very little vinyl collection (I only got a CD player in late 91 ..but left my vinyls at my parents when travelling and those idiots moved whilst I was away and left them in a garage that got flooded!! :mad: covers are ruined and half of them won't play with paper stuck to them :(..think I left my Police, U2 ones with a cousin though..need to try to get them back :p..if they haven't been thrown away..)

ROFL...just tried to give a spin to a disc right now.. picked it pretty randomly, Clash album, put the needle: 'Know your rights'!! :D just find it a funny coincidence..
    it's a bit more expensive but if you have the money, you should go with this one:
    http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/PlatineTD/ProJectDebut3SB.html
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    also saw that The Who Live at the Royal Albert Hall is being released as 4 LPS next month..
    damn, I knew that was a dangerous slope!!

I already have this set. Maybe the store is just expecting to have it in stock next month.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    Sounds like the turntable plugged into an AUX(illiary) input and not a PHONO input. Low volume is the result you get from doing this. If the unit does not have a PHONO input, then you need to have a separate amp. AUX =/= PHONO.

Hmmm, i will have to have a look round the back of it tonight and check what im plugged into although m pretty certain its plugged into the PHONO input. When i say it needs to be turned up a lot more i mean you have to have the volume on about double and a bit what ya would have it on playing a cd.

So if i DO have a phono connection and its plugged in correctly and still a lot quieter than a cd does that mean it would be better in a separate amp or is it just the way it is with turntables plugged into stereos? Thanks
  • Options
    Hmmm, i will have to have a look round the back of it tonight and check what im plugged into although m pretty certain its plugged into the PHONO input. When i say it needs to be turned up a lot more i mean you have to have the volume on about double and a bit what ya would have it on playing a cd.

So if i DO have a phono connection and its plugged in correctly and still a lot quieter than a cd does that mean it would be better in a separate amp or is it just the way it is with turntables plugged into stereos? Thanks
    i have a turntable taht doesn't have a pre-amp and it's plugged in the phono.
    I don't have to turn up the volume; i put on the same level as when I listen to a cd or whatever.
  • Options
    I was also thinking about getting a USB player. Just a cheap turntable for another room really. But I was wondering, can most USB tables can be plugged into an amp/speakers, or just to the PC..?
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    I was also thinking about getting a USB player. Just a cheap turntable for another room really. But I was wondering, can most USB tables can be plugged into an amp/speakers, or just to the PC..?
    i think they can be plugged on the amp and on the pc
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    i have a turntable taht doesn't have a pre-amp and it's plugged in the phono.
    I don't have to turn up the volume; i put on the same level as when I listen to a cd or whatever.

hmmm, perhaps its just me wanting to try and get the same level of sound as i do with a cd so i tend to turn it up, will have to check the connection later and see what the deal is i think.
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    it's a bit more expensive but if you have the money, you should go with this one:
    http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/PlatineTD/ProJectDebut3SB.html
    over 3 times the price isn't a bit more expensive buddy..if you have that much money to throw around, you can give me some!