Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    jerry jones and tiger are both assholes.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    Wobbie said:
    jerry jones and tiger are both assholes.
    Yet you root for one and not the other. Conflicted!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jerry wasn't the owner, in my youth.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited August 2018
    Now this is a good looking course that is also awesome.

Sorry Tommy Fleetwood.  Gotta get it up.  Love false fronts.
  • Options
    5 is awesome
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Jerry wasn't the owner, in my youth.
    Well if that makes you feel better about it, then so be it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Ugh...Bryson Dechambeau at the Ryder Cup. 
  • Options
    de-sham-bow.

just screams elitist, doesn’t it?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736

I don't get the hate on Bryson.  He's had a pretty damn good year.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options

I don't like his approach to the game.  It is very technical now but he takes it to the extreme.  His swing is annoying to watch as well (not that I even have one after 8 years of playing a lot).
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835

His driving range meltdown at The Open is an instant classic.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736

I don't like his approach to the game.  It is very technical now but he takes it to the extreme.  His swing is annoying to watch as well (not that I even have one after 8 years of playing a lot).
    Well his approach seems to be working pretty well....won 2 tournaments this year with stacked fields.  There always seems to be such a resistance amongst golf fans and writers when anyone tries to do things differently.  
  • Options
    So the final four gotta be tiger, Phil, Bryson and Finau, right? Barring a win from someone on the edge replacing finau?

Not the biggest Bryson fan. Seems like a bit of a baby to me and his shtick kinda annoyed me but he’s clearly doing something right, so good for him. 
  • Options
    It is like Formula One versus NASCAR.  Formula One is very technical and from my limited knowledge seems like the "engineers" on the computers win the race versus the driver.  NASCAR seems more about the grit of the driver.  I know the parallel isn't exactly perfect, but with golf Bryson would be like Formula One (dull and clinical) versus Tiger/Spieth types that want to beat the opponent at all costs. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Phil had an insanely analytical approach to golf too
  • Options
    Phil had an insanely analytical approach to golf too
    But he doesn’t talk about it that much.  His creativity is off the charts.  They all have to be technical this level except maybe DJ.
  • Options
    I am about half way through this and it is truly insane.  Puts how much crap happened in perspective

https://nolayingup.com/2018/08/14/episode-17-journey-tiger/

• Options
    It is like Formula One versus NASCAR.  Formula One is very technical and from my limited knowledge seems like the "engineers" on the computers win the race versus the driver.  NASCAR seems more about the grit of the driver.  I know the parallel isn't exactly perfect, but with golf Bryson would be like Formula One (dull and clinical) versus Tiger/Spieth types that want to beat the opponent at all costs. 
    You lost me at Nascar.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    $25 for the tiger-phil match.  A big ol' LOL
  • Options
    What wouldn't be an "LOL" for the price, specifically?

I mean don't people pay well more than twice that for fake wrestling? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Fair point, but here’s the thing, I’m not a wrestling fan and don’t pay for their ppvs. I am sure this will be a lot of fun and they’ll have a good time and talk horrible shit and someone will win a lot of money, but it’s not golf. Golf exhibitions do not belong on PPV. It’s also a horrible precedent. Again if they were gambling their money I’d be all over it.
  • Options

Fair point, but here’s the thing, I’m not a wrestling fan and don’t pay for their ppvs. I am sure this will be a lot of fun and they’ll have a good time and talk horrible shit and someone will win a lot of money, but it’s not golf. Golf exhibitions do not belong on PPV. It’s also a horrible precedent. Again if they were gambling their money I’d be all over it.

As far as the price is concerned—it’s way less than every other pay per view event so I don’t have a problem with that. I wish it wasn’t on pay view in the first place but I couldn’t really give a shit about the other stuff. I think it’s gonna be pretty cool to watch. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

As far as the price is concerned—it’s way less than every other pay per view event so I don’t have a problem with that. I wish it wasn’t on pay view in the first place but I couldn’t really give a shit about the other stuff. I think it’s gonna be pretty cool to watch. 
    But golf is not a pay per view sport. It’s bullshit. Skins games, Monday night golf, old school match play all cable or network tv. It’s not pay per view and it’s a stupid fucking money grab and someone is making a shit load of money off fools, without risking anything. 

Whoever came up with it is a genius, oh yeah, let’s put two of the biggest names ever we’ll past their prime on pay per view and winner will take all the money. Nah man. Watch the Ryder cup, it will be a million times better and more exciting 
  • Options
    It’s like Barry bonds vs Mark McGwire in a pay per view home run derby in 2006
  • Options
    And I’ll just finish off that them playing for other people’s money and not their own in Las Vegas at shadow fucking creek none the less is blasphemous. 

• Options

But golf is not a pay per view sport. It’s bullshit. Skins games, Monday night golf, old school match play all cable or network tv. It’s not pay per view and it’s a stupid fucking money grab and someone is making a shit load of money off fools, without risking anything. 

Whoever came up with it is a genius, oh yeah, let’s put two of the biggest names ever we’ll past their prime on pay per view and winner will take all the money. Nah man. Watch the Ryder cup, it will be a million times better and more exciting 
    Yeah, I think you’re putting waaaaay too much thought into this. 

It’s Tiger vs Phil on Thanksgiving weekend, dude. That’s all. I guarantee not one person is going to prioritize this over the Ryder Cup...that’s a pretty weird assertion there, actually. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, I think you’re putting waaaaay too much thought into this. 

It’s Tiger vs Phil on Thanksgiving weekend, dude. That’s all. I guarantee not one person is going to prioritize this over the Ryder Cup...that’s a pretty weird assertion there, actually. 
    I’m not. It’s cheesy and a weak money grab. 

Point being, Ryder cup is free and will have about a dozen matches that blow this out of the water.

Gamble your own money at least...it all started with them talking about money games and willing to play for absurd amounts of money, then it turns Into other peoples money. I’d be really fucking interested in that