The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    They’re not all gonna be as tough as Oakmont. Sometimes it’s fun to see the best players in the world go low in a major. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited August 2018
    The course produced a great leader board and that's all you can really ask for, but I don't think that is a major course, by any stretch of the imagination.

Not trying to come across as a course snob, it looked nice on tv and did produce a great tournament, but I just think there should be a bit more strategy involved with a major. When Pat Perez says there is no strategy involved with the course, you know it's not a thinking mans course.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    He doesn’t deserve the coverage. 
    He’s washed up. 
    He’s not a force. 
    Yada. Yada. And yada. 

Can we finally put out this nonsense to bed now, gents?

He’s back. He’s a force. And he’s winning #15 at Augusta. Book it. 

koepka...wtf. 4 tournament wins with 3 majors. Obviously outplaying his game, but holy hell. I want to hate on him like the rest of the world but I absolutely love his story about going to Europe to get out of his element. Who’s career do you prefer, Brooks or DJ?

Koepka's career path is pretty wild.  To go play on the European challenge tour and work his way up over there is really cool.  This guy has won tournaments all over the world.  

Brooks or DJ is a tough one.  3 majors is incredible, but I'd prob still have to go DJ at this point....guy has won 20 tournaments and has been the clear #1 in the world the past few years.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I have to agree with Cliffy on this one. A course can be beautifully manicured, aesthetically pleasing, etc., but if it requires no thought, it will never be regarded as a great course. 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I had the best time following Tiger yesterday. It was amazing to finally be a part of those Sunday at a major Tiger crowds and roars. That picture I posted last night was on #8 when he hit his drive to the left off the tee. His ball came to rest right in front of me. Of course I snapped like 100 pics and took two or three videos including one of his full preshot routine and the shot itself. Kind of surreal to be that close to him after all these years of just getting to watch him on TV. Obviously he came up short but it was exciting to the very end. 
    bflynn1 said:
    I had the best time following Tiger yesterday. It was amazing to finally be a part of those Sunday at a major Tiger crowds and roars. That picture I posted last night was on #8 when he hit his drive to the left off the tee. His ball came to rest right in front of me. Of course I snapped like 100 pics and took two or three videos including one of his full preshot routine and the shot itself. Kind of surreal to be that close to him after all these years of just getting to watch him on TV. Obviously he came up short but it was exciting to the very end. 
    That’s awesome man. Cool experience and awesome you got that close. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    bflynn1 said:
    So cool. 

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    bflynn1 said:
    Only Wobbie would have enjoyed it more.  
    Awesome you got to be that close. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    bflynn1 said:
    Don't encourage the negativity on such an awesome story. Notice the haters are awfully quiet and we need not wake them. Great for you to get to experience that bflynn1!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Thanks guys! Here's the ball when it stopped rolling right in front of me. Awesome that it finished with the logo and Tiger personalization up. 
    bflynn1 said:
    Thanks guys! Here's the ball when it stopped rolling right in front of me. Awesome that it finished with the logo and Tiger personalization up. 
    If he was a bit more wayward he might have hit you and you would be going home with a signed glove.
    Getting back to this course debate. Watched the wonderful world of golf on DVR last night with Byron Nelson against gene littler at pine valley. I know it’s not a fair comparison to the pga course as it is probably the best course in the world against a random country club in the midwest but Bellerive would look 10 times better on tv, especially with pine valleys unraked bunkers everywhere along the fairways, but the course isn’t just right in front of you. Every tee shot they are talking about lines, angles and decisions. Nothing like that at Bellerive. Hit is straight, hit it on the green. Give me strategy and not target golf. Love the bombers but make em think. 
    Talking to myself here, I know, but my evening reading is hitting home 

I wish this thread was more active for sure
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    fuck tiger.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PPV? Weak
    Yeah.  I am not going to pay to watch an exhibition.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Yeah.  I am not going to pay to watch an exhibition.
    I will. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited August 2018
    I’m probably not paying to sit at home, but will probably either get some people together or go to a bar that will have it.

their trash talk was pathetic 

if they were playing for their own money, I’d be much more inclined to put up my money for it, but it is pretty stupid
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I’m probably not paying to sit at home, but will probably either get some people together or go to a bar that will have it.

their trash talk was pathetic 

if they were playing for their own money, I’d be much more inclined to put up my money for it, but it is pretty stupid
    Oh my god that was cringeworthy.  Not like it's actually Tiger or Phil running their own twitter accounts but still that's just so fucking lame...and yeah, I'm not paying to watch this.  This thing would get insane ratings....no need to put it on PPV.
    Just realized this was PPV.  That’s laughable. It’s getting cheesier by the minute. I will not be paying for this and probably won’t  even waste my time watching. Longest drive hole, longest putt...I mean, c’mon guys. This is so gimmicky, it’s about on par with the scrambles I play in each year (exclude the $9M that is NOT their own $). Lame. 
    It is no different than a heavyweight boxing match, except the results have no official implications.  Nothing wrong with it but I just don’t feel like paying to watch Phil and Tiger make $9m for doing what they do every week in a tournament that matters.   
    It is no different than a heavyweight boxing match, except the results have no official implications.  Nothing wrong with it but I just don’t feel like paying to watch Phil and Tiger make $9m for doing what they do every week in a tournament that matters.   
    And a heavyweight boxing match is their main thing.  It's not like they fight every weekend, then all of a sudden put an exhibition on PPV and expect people to pay.

If it were their money, sure, I'd probably pay to see that.  A rich guy losing $9 million is a lot more exciting to watch than a rich guy winning $9 million with no concern about losing anything.

It is basically a Tiger/Phil circle jerk. There will be a million times more exciting match play rounds going on 2 months earlier in France.
    ^ This 100%
    bflynn1 said:
    Don't encourage the negativity on such an awesome story. Notice the haters are awfully quiet and we need not wake them. Great for you to get to experience that bflynn1!
    sooooo close to tiger. :swoon:

fuck that guy.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    exhibit 1:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    exhibit 1:

That’s when he was on the pills
    Wobbie said:
    exhibit 1:

musta been, to grow that “beard.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    exhibit 1:

musta been, to grow that “beard.”
    Exactly
    Wobbie said:
    exhibit 1:

Damn. Now we know what old man Tiger will look like.