Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If this was the old tiger, or tiger is back,  when he had the lead after the 10th, the old tiger would have won by 3 strokes ... the new tiger is back blew the lead and is just another golfer ... and has never come from behind on Sunday in a major ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,762
    Tbh  I watched all 4 days and most golfers fist bump the kids or five them. Just an observation 
    Tiger is not about the fans.  Tiger is about tiger.  Thats why he was screwing every whore he could find.  His Ex wife had a good reasons to go up side his head with a golf club.  Tiger is simply one of the grossest celebrities in the world, he is up there with Sheen...
    I love how ESPN acts like "Tagger" is the only guy on the course.  Nevermind the guy that actually WON - the same guy who's won 2 tournaments in the last month and finished 2nd in a third one.  Let's just talk about Tiger Tiger Tiger.

It's like Lebron.  All that mf'er does is lose when it matters and it's ALL they talk about when it comes to the NBA.  Nevermind the team that's won 3 of the last 4 Finals, or the guy who has 2 consecutive Finals MVP's.  Tiger's performance yesterday was like Lebron in 4th quarters.  A non-competitive loser when it counts most.
    I agree.  I couldn't believe how much focus was on Tiger.  
    Were you okay with the amount of attention given to Speiths $12 haircut? 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Tbh  I watched all 4 days and most golfers fist bump the kids or five them. Just an observation 
    Tiger is not about the fans.  Tiger is about tiger.  Thats why he was screwing every whore he could find.  His Ex wife had a good reasons to go up side his head with a golf club.  Tiger is simply one of the grossest celebrities in the world, he is up there with Sheen...
    I love how ESPN acts like "Tagger" is the only guy on the course.  Nevermind the guy that actually WON - the same guy who's won 2 tournaments in the last month and finished 2nd in a third one.  Let's just talk about Tiger Tiger Tiger.

It's like Lebron.  All that mf'er does is lose when it matters and it's ALL they talk about when it comes to the NBA.  Nevermind the team that's won 3 of the last 4 Finals, or the guy who has 2 consecutive Finals MVP's.  Tiger's performance yesterday was like Lebron in 4th quarters.  A non-competitive loser when it counts most.
    I agree.  I couldn't believe how much focus was on Tiger.  
    Were you okay with the amount of attention given to Speiths $12 haircut? 
    LMFAO...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    "Coming back from the dead." :lol:   Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  You act like he's the messiah.

OK, I'll grant you he had a good weekend.  And good for him IF he does win something.  It will be a great story if he does.  But he hasn't.  Yet he gets ALL the glory like he has while the real winner goes virtually unnoticed & unrecognized with hardly any praise, despite having the hot hand in the sport right now.
    I mean, if you're a golf fan and you're under 40, then yeah, there's a good damn chance that he is your version of a golf messiah. 
    I remember once in the early 2000's I was visiting my parents and my father was watching a golf tournament that Tiger wasn't playing in. I said "What are you watching a non-Tiger tournament?" and he replied something like "I've been watching non-Tiger tournaments since before you and him were even born."
    My old man was a golf fan well before Tiger.  Every white boomer is a fan of golf because of Arnie, (who wasn't exactly a one gal kinda guy himself).  I went to the BC Open with my old man every year and watched some golf with him before Tiger, Couples and Funk were his guys when I was growing up, but I really got into it with Tiger.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    How?
    Ask yourself what's the better story? Also ask yourself if people are tuning in for Molinari or to see history made with Tiger winning his 15th after barely being able to move a year ago. 
    Unlike all the sluts he banged, I'd rather not have Tiger shoved down my throat endlessly.  The better story is the guy who won the damn thing and who is having an absolute incredible July on the links.  Not some washed-up has-been who can never hold it together for an entire weekend.
    Good one...

Would you prefer them to show Spieth, who Tiger is having a better year than?
    So the lack in Spieth coverage is because he isn't performing well this year, right?  They should follow that same logic with Tiger and cover the people who are better than him. Again, instead of acting like he's the ONLY guy out there.
    Tiger is trending better through the season.   He just made Top 50 in the world and qualified for a WGC. Freaking unbelievable accomplishment and he'll only go further up the list.  He makes that putt on 18 and he ties for 2nd in a major.  He is not a has been.  By your logic, we should never, ever talk about Rickie Fowler since he never can put a weekend together in a Major and wins 1 time at most a year.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    How?
    Ask yourself what's the better story? Also ask yourself if people are tuning in for Molinari or to see history made with Tiger winning his 15th after barely being able to move a year ago. 
    Unlike all the sluts he banged, I'd rather not have Tiger shoved down my throat endlessly.  The better story is the guy who won the damn thing and who is having an absolute incredible July on the links.  Not some washed-up has-been who can never hold it together for an entire weekend.

Dyer :hug:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    "Coming back from the dead." :lol:   Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  You act like he's the messiah.

OK, I'll grant you he had a good weekend.  And good for him IF he does win something.  It will be a great story if he does.  But he hasn't.  Yet he gets ALL the glory like he has while the real winner goes virtually unnoticed & unrecognized with hardly any praise, despite having the hot hand in the sport right now.

Less than a year ago he had a hard time kicking a soccer ball around with his kids and people were legitimately wondering if he would ever golf again. Yet, here he was yesterday almost winning the British Open. You don't see how this is a story for the ages?

steroids work wonders.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    Wobbie said:

Less than a year ago he had a hard time kicking a soccer ball around with his kids and people were legitimately wondering if he would ever golf again. Yet, here he was yesterday almost winning the British Open. You don't see how this is a story for the ages?

steroids work wonders.

No one would know more than Barry Bonds' super fan.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    :triumph:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Nah, can’t stand NASCAR, why?
    Was going to draw up a  comparison to help paint a similar picture/scenario. Moot now...
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    For hot and humid and also wet days:
    Juggler Tested. Juggler Approved. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Muhammad Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Tiger Woods

You want to know why he gets so much coverage? Because he's in that group.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    eddiec said:
    Muhammad Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Tiger Woods

Amen 
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Muhammad Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Tiger Woods

Are you kidding me? No you are not...because this sir, is a statement of fact. I declare this thread now return to golf discussions, rather than z 1a
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    That's all fine and dandy, no doubt he's the best (or very least 2nd best) golfer ever.  But when he's 50th or missing the cut, shut the hell up about him and focus on the others.

THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING..
  • Options

For the haters....enjoy!

We Are Witnessing the Third Act of Tiger Woods

From golf god to fallen icon, and now … underdog contender? Tiger Woods is actually, really back, with an Open Championship performance worthy of a sports movie. The only thing missing is a feel-good ending.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/7/22/17600586/tiger-woods-open-championship-third-act

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That's all fine and dandy, no doubt he's the best (or very least 2nd best) golfer ever.  But when he's 50th or missing the cut, shut the hell up about him and focus on the others.

THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING..
    Tell me who the 1st and 2nd place finisher is, and then I want to read about how Tiger is doing because less than a year into his comeback he finished 1 shot out of second place in a major.  I want to read about how the next tournament went and why he finished 50th if he does.   The top golfer of our time is still playing and playing well.  How could he not be written about?   I could understand if he was just aging and less successful, but we thought he was done a year ago and so it is a huge freakin' story.
  • Options
    I repeat, 4 friggen back surgeries in 3 years
  • Options
    Clearly it was because of Francisco Molinari

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

For the haters....enjoy!

We Are Witnessing the Third Act of Tiger Woods

From golf god to fallen icon, and now … underdog contender? Tiger Woods is actually, really back, with an Open Championship performance worthy of a sports movie. The only thing missing is a feel-good ending.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/7/22/17600586/tiger-woods-open-championship-third-act

a “feel good ending” for me would be if elin came back to finish what she started with the nine iron.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,738
    So that DJ guy is pretty good.  
  • Options
    DJ is the clear number 1.  
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,934
    Senior open was good . The wind on day 3 was ridiculous  and Miguel Angel Jimenez has still got it. Great man. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    That par putt Jimenez hit on 17 was so clutch after missing that short birdie on 14 or 15. 
  • Options
    Getting back to the Tiger ignoring kids thing and getting in the zone again.  I forget what hole it was on, but apparently he was walking up the fairway in the last round of the British and his kids were near by and starting yelling encouraging their dad, within range that he could definitely hear them.  He apparently didn't even flinch or look their way.  So yeah.   
  • Options

Tiger is hyper focused.  Awesome.  He is who he is.

Could be a big week for Tiger. Should have a lot of confidence from past experience at Firestone.

• Options

Tiger is hyper focused.  Awesome.  He is who he is.

Could be a big week for Tiger. Should have a lot of confidence from past experience at Firestone.

Saw a stat floating around twitter that he has made over $3k per shot in his career at Firestone.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,934
    I saw that stat. Amazing
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Insane.