Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Tbh  I watched all 4 days and most golfers fist bump the kids or five them. Just an observation 
    Tiger is not about the fans.  Tiger is about tiger.  Thats why he was screwing every whore he could find.  His Ex wife had a good reasons to go up side his head with a golf club.  Tiger is simply one of the grossest celebrities in the world, he is up there with Sheen...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Tiger is back. 2019 Masters is the next major win. 

Who gives a shit about fist bumping kids? What a bunch of nonsense. 

Agreed.  Tiger is so good because of his focus and cutthroat personality.  It may not help out in other parts of his life but it does when it comes to winning and that is why I watch. 
    Yeah. He's won more majors than anyone he's playing with at the top of that leader board combined. I think he knows a thing or two how to stay focused during a round. Stupid thing to be concerned about. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    To that point, I'd put some stock in him feeling the pressure of winning more than he used to and that leading to some of the loose swings.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    To that point, I'd put some stock in him feeling the pressure of winning more than he used to and that leading to some of the loose swings.

Definitely. He had it in the palm of his hand at -7. And he had an opportunity at 2 more birdies (likely on 14 and 18). If he just wouldn't have taken that double bogey. Pitch it 12 feet left of the hole and give yourself a chance at par. Even if he bogeyed he was still going to be tied for the lead at that point.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    He definitely made some bad decisions.  Maybe over confident on that flop shot.  He probably thought worst case was a bogey but it gave him the best option for a par if he didn’t hit it short (which he did).
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Tbh  I watched all 4 days and most golfers fist bump the kids or five them. Just an observation 
    Tiger is not about the fans.  Tiger is about tiger.  Thats why he was screwing every whore he could find.  His Ex wife had a good reasons to go up side his head with a golf club.  Tiger is simply one of the grossest celebrities in the world, he is up there with Sheen...
    I love how ESPN acts like "Tagger" is the only guy on the course.  Nevermind the guy that actually WON - the same guy who's won 2 tournaments in the last month and finished 2nd in a third one.  Let's just talk about Tiger Tiger Tiger.

It's like Lebron.  All that mf'er does is lose when it matters and it's ALL they talk about when it comes to the NBA.  Nevermind the team that's won 3 of the last 4 Finals, or the guy who has 2 consecutive Finals MVP's.  Tiger's performance yesterday was like Lebron in 4th quarters.  A non-competitive loser when it counts most.
  • Options
    I love how ESPN acts like "Tagger" is the only guy on the course.  Nevermind the guy that actually WON - the same guy who's won 2 tournaments in the last month and finished 2nd in a third one.  Let's just talk about Tiger Tiger Tiger.

It's like Lebron.  All that mf'er does is lose when it matters and it's ALL they talk about when it comes to the NBA.  Nevermind the team that's won 3 of the last 4 Finals, or the guy who has 2 consecutive Finals MVP's.  Tiger's performance yesterday was like Lebron in 4th quarters.  A non-competitive loser when it counts most.

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    How?
    Ask yourself what's the better story? Also ask yourself if people are tuning in for Molinari or to see history made with Tiger winning his 15th after barely being able to move a year ago. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How?
    Ask yourself what's the better story? Also ask yourself if people are tuning in for Molinari or to see history made with Tiger winning his 15th after barely being able to move a year ago. 
    Unlike all the sluts he banged, I'd rather not have Tiger shoved down my throat endlessly.  The better story is the guy who won the damn thing and who is having an absolute incredible July on the links.  Not some washed-up has-been who can never hold it together for an entire weekend.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    And outside of the point of Tiger moving the needle, because of course he does.  The guy had 4 spinal surgeries in 3 years, hasn't played meaningful golf in AT LEAST 4 years and has just gone T23, Cut, 12, T2, T5, T32, T55, T11, T23, Cut, T4, T6, and just legitimately competed for a major championship.  That is comically good given the past 4 years. Oh and he's gonna make the Ryder Cup team. I am not sold on Tiger winning another major, there are too many good players to go along with the demons, but he will win on tour again and I could very easily see be a top 10 player in the world.

So yeah, enjoy your sports talk radio hot takes.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    How?
    Unlike all the sluts he banged, I'd rather not have Tiger shoved down my throat endlessly.  The better story is the guy who won the damn thing and who is having an absolute incredible July on the links.  Not some washed-up has-been who can never hold it together for an entire weekend.
    Good one...

Would you prefer them to show Spieth, who Tiger is having a better year than?
  • Options
    He definitely made some bad decisions.  Maybe over confident on that flop shot.  He probably thought worst case was a bogey but it gave him the best option for a par if he didn’t hit it short (which he did).
    So getting back to non hot takes...how many bad decisions did he make? More than 1?  I only count the flop on 11 as a mental mistake. Can't think of any others.  I thought it was a pretty strategic tournament for him.  Played safe to stay in it and pressed when he needed to.

The putt on 18 was piss poor.
  • Options
    How?
    Good one...

So the lack in Spieth coverage is because he isn't performing well this year, right?  They should follow that same logic with Tiger and cover the people who are better than him. Again, instead of acting like he's the ONLY guy out there.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    edited July 2018
    How?
    Good one...

So the lack in Spieth coverage is because he isn't performing well this year, right?  They should follow that same logic with Tiger and cover the people who are better than him. Again, instead of acting like he's the ONLY guy out there.
    I think in general you are on target but not for this tournament. They do cover him way too much at times but him being in the hunt at a major again is an amazing story. Arguably the greatest golfer of all time coming back from injury to be in the hunt on Sunday at a major is a bigger story than a guy no one outside of hard core golf fans knows winning is.  More eyes are going to watch a story about Tiger being in the hunt than Molinari winning the tournament. that's just an obvious choice for TV execs.  

and I do think he wins at least one more major in his career.

and Golf really does need to do something about the yokels yelling after, or in Tiger's case, during a shot. they are idiots who just want to be heard.  Oh and if you have to take a stroller to the British Open your damn kid is too young to be there. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    How?
    Good one...

They showed pretty much every shot from boy wonder en route to a 76. Try again.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    How?
    Good one...

I think in general you are on target but not for this tournament. They do cover him way too much at times but him being in the hunt at a major again is an amazing story. Arguably the greatest golfer of all time coming back from injury to be in the hunt on Sunday at a major is a bigger story than a guy no one outside of hard core golf fans knows winning is.  More eyes are going to watch a story about Tiger being in the hunt than Molinari winning the tournament. that's just an obvious choice for TV execs.  

and I do think he wins at least one more major in his career.
    An Italian golfer at that who has minimal experience in the US...

I like Molinari, but yeah
  • Options
    How?

Sorry but that story, while still compelling, is not remotely close to the story of the greatest golfer you've ever seen coming back from the dead and competing for a major championship.

You're going to have to just get used to having more and more of Tiger shoved down your throat as long as his back holds up.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    "Coming back from the dead." :lol:   Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  You act like he's the messiah.

OK, I'll grant you he had a good weekend.  And good for him IF he does win something.  It will be a great story if he does.  But he hasn't.  Yet he gets ALL the glory like he has while the real winner goes virtually unnoticed & unrecognized with hardly any praise, despite having the hot hand in the sport right now.
  • Options
    "Coming back from the dead." :lol:   Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  You act like he's the messiah.

OK, I'll grant you he had a good weekend.  And good for him IF he does win something.  It will be a great story if he does.  But he hasn't.  Yet he gets ALL the glory like he has while the real winner goes virtually unnoticed & unrecognized with hardly any praise, despite having the hot hand in the sport right now.

Less than a year ago he had a hard time kicking a soccer ball around with his kids and people were legitimately wondering if he would ever golf again. Yet, here he was yesterday almost winning the British Open. You don't see how this is a story for the ages?

Congrats to Mollinari but he doesn't move the needle. At all.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Less than a year ago he had a hard time kicking a soccer ball around with his kids and people were legitimately wondering if he would ever golf again. Yet, here he was yesterday almost winning the British Open. You don't see how this is a story for the ages?

Congrats to Mollinari but he doesn't move the needle. At all.

There were reports he couldn't even sit in an upright seat in a car let alone play soccer with his kids.
  • Options
  • Options
    I said I'll grant you this weekend.
     T23, Cut, 12, T2, T5, T32, T55, T11, T23, Cut, T4, T6

At 42 years old coming off 4 surgeries in 3 years.  I would have been thrilled with a healthy season (yet to be seen) with one top 10.
  • Options
    I said I'll grant you this weekend.
     T23, Cut, 12, T2, T5, T32, T55, T11, T23, Cut, T4, T6

At 42 years old coming off 4 surgeries in 3 years.  I would have been thrilled with a healthy season (yet to be seen) with one top 10.

People acting like he's a washed up hack are just not paying attention. He'll never be the Tiger of old but he's legitimately one of the best in the game again.....toss in the fact that he's, you know, the GREATEST PLAYER EVER, and therein lies the riddle of why he gets so much coverage.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    While there has been some Tiger overkill in some other tournaments where he was nowhere near the lead, he was right there on the back 9 in the final round of a major!  Of course it's going to be a huge story.  

Dyer...I'm more concerned that you're watching ESPN!!  Besides actual games, that channel as a whole has became straight up unwatchable.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763

I mean, if you're a golf fan and you're under 40, then yeah, there's a good damn chance that he is your version of a golf messiah. 

I'm certain a quick search in golf ratings with the finishing place/cut for Tiger will tell you all you need to know about why he gets as much exposure as he does. 

I follow golf way more while he's playing. I likely would not have bought golf clubs in 98 had it not been for him taking the golf world on fire at that time. 

Do you follow Nascar by chance?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

I mean, if you're a golf fan and you're under 40, then yeah, there's a good damn chance that he is your version of a golf messiah. 
    I remember once in the early 2000's I was visiting my parents and my father was watching a golf tournament that Tiger wasn't playing in. I said "What are you watching a non-Tiger tournament?" and he replied something like "I've been watching non-Tiger tournaments since before you and him were even born."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

I agree.  I couldn't believe how much focus was on Tiger.  
    Give Peas A Chance…