The Golf Thread

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383

Tiger Woods living in denial following brutal U.S. Open

Yahoo SportsJune 15, 2018

SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. — Tiger Woods was a beaten man Friday. Beaten, but not defeated.

At least, not in his own mind. In that stubborn fantasy land, he’s apparently undefeated forever. It’s a remarkable place, where Woods seems to be able to erase an entire decade and convince himself that his return to major-championship prowess is imminent.

In Tiger’s head, he’s just a tweak away from being the best player in the world again. Out here in the real world, the evidence to the contrary continues to pile up.

This week’s addition to the thickening evidentiary file is his 78-72 in the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills, which allowed Woods and his $20 million yacht to depart the premises early. It’s now been five years since he played the weekend in the Open, eight since he had a top-10 finish and, of course, 10 since he last won this event.

That 2008 Open at Torrey Pines also is the last time he won any major. Nobody realistically expects Woods to win another, stalling out at 14 in perpetuity, an incredible career that still feels a bit wasted.

Ah, but in his own mind there is a different view. It came out Friday when he was discussing the importance of winning majors.

Tiger Woods was not on top of his game at the 2018 U.S. Open. (AP)

“Our whole careers are pretty much measured as if you can win four times a year,” Woods said.

Then he dropped this little reminder of how it used to be: “One year, I did it three times.”

A reporter asked him, whether he’s convinced he could do it again.

“Absolutely,” he replied.

Why? he was asked

“Have you seen the way I’ve been swinging?” he shot back, smiling.

That was a glimpse into that fantasy land between the ears – where denial and hope, arrogance and obstinance, feed on each other. That mindset might have helped make Woods a great champion, but now it could be a disservice.

Fact is, Tiger swung it well this week – not brilliantly, but well. He hit 71 percent of fairways in two rounds, and 44 percent of greens in regulation.

Those aren’t major-winning accuracy stats. Dustin Johnson, who is comfortably leading this tournament and played in the exact same weather conditions as a member of Woods’ threesome, hit 79 percent of fairways and 71 percent of greens.

Yet to hear Woods talk, the ball striking is there and all he needs to do is rediscover his putting stroke. Then it’s 2000 all over again.

“If I would have putted [at Shinnecock] the way I did the beginning of the year with this ball striking, that would be ideal,” he said. “Unfortunately, I just haven’t done that.”

Woods’ work with the flat stick definitely was not good here and hasn’t been good in his last several tour appearances during this 2018 comeback season. But in Woods’ World, it’s never bad enough to ditch the Scotty Cameron putter or hire a putting coach. He’s not relinquishing control or admitting that he might need to make big changes.

While the putter was bad this week, it was Woods’ failure (twice) to put an iron shot safely onto the No. 1 green that sent him home.

The first hole is no cupcake – none of them are here – but it’s hardly impregnable, either. In terms of scoring, it was the second easiest of Shinnecock’s 12 par-4 holes on Thursday.

Yet Woods carded the worst score of the entire field on No. 1 Thursday, a ghastly triple bogey that was triggered by an errant approach that rolled off the back of the green. That led to a chip that rolled back down, followed by a putt that rolled back down, followed by three more putts for a seven.

Playing in a chilly, misting rain Friday morning, Woods put his tee shot in perfect position – middle of the fairway, 157 yards out. But he fanned the approach into deep hay on the right side of the green, a nightmare destination. The ball nestled into the thick, wet grass, and Tiger chopped it out with little hope of it stopping on the green.

It rolled over the opposite side and he had to chip back up. That was followed by a two-putt that left him five-over in two days on an unremarkable hole. And just as he did Thursday, Woods followed that debacle with a bogey on the second.

Woods’ score relative to par bottomed out at 12-over. Then he played his best stretch of the tourney over his final three holes – a par at No. 7 and birdies at Nos. 8 and 9, when the putts rolled in confidently after the pressure was off. (A legendarily clutch player exhibited none of that old trait here.)

So you can pick your favorite rationalization: Tiger was fine on 16 out of 18 holes; he just needs to get the putter going; those last two birdies are a sign of what he can do; he’s farther along than anyone could have hoped in this rebound season after two years on the shelf.

The last one might even be true. But this was a setback for the comeback, and it was impossible for anyone to watch Tiger Woods play Thursday and Friday and envision him winning more majors.

Except for Tiger himself. In his mind, he’s undefeated.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Poulter's meltdown on 16 was glorious!!

he seemed a likeable enough chap in his post round interview. why the hate?

IP > TW

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Wobbie said:
    Poulter's meltdown on 16 was glorious!!

he seemed a likeable enough chap in his post round interview. why the hate?

IP > TW
    No
    eldrick’s yacht is a bit of overkill. you can bang Perkins waitresses on a bayliner.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Ian Poulter is douche personified. Loved seeing that yesterday.

Hoping Rickie can make a charge today.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That’s a fucking disgrace from Phil 
    Can you fucking imagine if tiger ever did that 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Uhhhh yeah what the fuck was that
    He's gotta be DQ'd right?  That was absurd.  
    He has to be but sounds like they’re not gonna. He needs to do it himself. His laughing and all after. Fuck that guy. Don’t embarrass this country’s championship.

His most coveted tournament is gonna be a highlight full of 2nds and that...good
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    It is his birthday. Maybe he was hitting the sauce? Who knows? What an asshat.
    He has to be but sounds like they’re not gonna. He needs to do it himself. His laughing and all after. Fuck that guy. Don’t embarrass this country’s championship.

His most coveted tournament is gonna be a highlight full of 2nds and that...good
    Wow.  Fuck the USGA.  He should be DQ'd as soon as he steps off the 18th green.  
    What a Fucking prick. Using the rules to his advantage. Fuck off
    I just can't believe that's only a 2 stroke penalty.  That should be an automatic DQ.  So many strange rules in golf.
    DJ falling apart early.  I have money on Fleetwood so I hope he catches him.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    That’s a fucking disgrace from Phil 
    I wasn't watching. What happen?
    edited June 2018
    Fucking love this. Fuck these guys. If it’s not a birdie fest, they’re soft. Tom Watson loved difficult conditions because half the field was out of it before they hit a shot. No good shots are being unfairly punished. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I was coming on here to ask if anyone actually gave a shit about that McKelson play and I guess soemone does, lol.

What's the big deal?  How is this making it a "mockery" like that Ass-Jack Joe Buck said?
    Oh hey look. DJ is hitting better shots and isn’t scoring like dog shit. But yeah, the course is unfair...
    I was coming on here to ask if anyone actually gave a shit about that McKelson play and I guess soemone does, lol.

What's the big deal?  How is this making it a "mockery" like that Ass-Jack Joe Buck said?
    He admitted to cheating 
    My man, JT...”everyone has to play it”
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    i haven't seen the entire tourney, seen some play, but to bitch and moan that the course is too hard... i call BS.  Adapt your game and play on... face the challenge head on and see where you fall.   Its awesome seeing them struggle and deal with the conditions... DJ class act.. he knows what its about.

beer is good...happy fathers day gang!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami said:
    i haven't seen the entire tourney, seen some play, but to bitch and moan that the course is too hard... i call BS.  Adapt your game and play on... face the challenge head on and see where you fall.   Its awesome seeing them struggle and deal with the conditions... DJ class act.. he knows what its about.

beer is good...happy fathers day gang!
    Every time there is a US open match in NY it chews up the competition, whether it be Shinecock or Bethpage black, the courses are just harder and the pros are not prepared for it.

Anybody remember John Dalys 15 on a hole?  That was great, lol.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Phil Mickelson running after that putt is the only redeeming thing about this year's U.S. Open.  In my opinion just call it and move on to the next tournament. 

Phil Mickelson running after that putt is the only redeeming thing about this year's U.S. Open.  In my opinion just call it and move on to the next tournament. 

I actually like to see the pros suffer.  For years I've played on subpar courses out in the desert or off the beaten path and accepted it as such.  These guys get a little bit of displacement and they fall apart.

I love it.

For the record I always played better on better maintained courses too, go figure...

I actually like to see the pros suffer.  For years I've played on subpar courses out in the desert or off the beaten path and accepted it as such.  These guys get a little bit of displacement and they fall apart.

I love it.

For the record I always played better on better maintained courses too, go figure...
    Boom. Correct. The course is in fine shape. It burned out. It was slow yesterday and now it’s too fast. Man up 
    DJ got the short end of conditions all 3 days though 
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Not posted here in a long while and have not read what was posted.   Phil was a knucklehead at first thought, but probably was just smarter than most and saved strokes.  The USGA is a cumdumpster with their setups.  Get over yourselves.  A good shot should be rewarded, not punished by grass cut too short and gravity
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Scrolled back and read a few and my PSU boy Cliffs differs from me...oh well.  I stand firm, the USGA is a shitshow.  Make it tough, but make it fair 
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited June 2018
    I like the course being hard, but not because the greens are a clusterfuck.   It seems like you could make every course difficult by drying out the greens.   

I would rather there be trees, penalizing rough, water hazards, risk/reward shots.  Not greens that are shit.  Chambers Bay gets a lot of grief but greens equally as bad on this top course of all time.  Fire Mike Davis.