Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Something I am curious to ask this group.

Everyone here is ok with thousands of people marching up to the US border and demanding entry?

There's something in between no borders and stationing military there to open fire (which we all know is just Trump being an asshole).  I'm not sure how they are "demanding" entry.  Is it through a series of menacing notes, smoke signals, what?  What is this entry demand you claim is happening?  Or are you just using overstated verbs to make is sound scary?  I know after Trump's presser yesterday, I'm definitely afraid for my white womenfolk.  

I'll ask in a different tone since you focused on a word rather than the question.

Is everyone ok with thousands of people marching up to the us border asking for entry?

I'm not okay with open borders.  I'm okay with controlled immigration from Central America for refugees and asylum seekers.  We need to structure it, set up host families, etc.  We need to care for our fellow humans, not demonize them.  Not be frightened of them.  I hear all the time that we are a Christian nation.  Are we?  Do we follow Matthew 25?

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’“

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Great answer thank you!

I do know the bible says that you are to obey man's law except where in contradicts God's law.  You'll need a scholar to answer that one better than I can though.
    Also, Trump continually threatens to cut off aid to Central American countries.  I do not know if he has done that yet.  Wouldn't that exacerbate the number of asylum seekers?  Second, we have American businesses that hire undocumented migrants every day, and avoid paying taxes and benefits from those hires.  What are we doing to combat that?  How often do you hear about ICE raiding a business?  Once in a while, but not very often.  How often are criminal penalties levied against those business owners?

War at home and jobs for undocumented workers here are the cause of the migrations, they are not the outcomes.  What has Trump done to attack the causes?  Very little.  He focuses on the poor men, women and children... the least of our brothers.  This is why I and I'm sure many like me, believe he is a racist.  It's not words, it's actions that make little sense if he were actually interested in solving the problem.  Why isn't DACA resolved?  Why isn't there a pathway to citizenship conversation?  Because he doesn't give a shit about the humans in the equation. 
    this is something I am continually asking and no one seems to want (or can) answer. if you really want to stop the influx, you cut it off at the source: the people paying them. 

you don't leave out a stack of cheese and call an exterminator when the rats come in. get rid of the cheese, dumbass!

(NO, I'M NOT COMPARING IMMIGRANTS TO RATS-SO DON'T GO THERE)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Everyone here is ok with thousands of people marching up to the US border and demanding entry?

There's something in between no borders and stationing military there to open fire (which we all know is just Trump being an asshole).  I'm not sure how they are "demanding" entry.  Is it through a series of menacing notes, smoke signals, what?  What is this entry demand you claim is happening?  Or are you just using overstated verbs to make is sound scary?  I know after Trump's presser yesterday, I'm definitely afraid for my white womenfolk.  

I'll ask in a different tone since you focused on a word rather than the question.

Is everyone ok with thousands of people marching up to the us border asking for entry?

I'm not okay with open borders.  I'm okay with controlled immigration from Central America for refugees and asylum seekers.  We need to structure it, set up host families, etc.  We need to care for our fellow humans, not demonize them.  Not be frightened of them.  I hear all the time that we are a Christian nation.  Are we?  Do we follow Matthew 25?

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’“

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Great answer thank you!

I do know the bible says that you are to obey man's law except where in contradicts God's law.  You'll need a scholar to answer that one better than I can though.
    Also, Trump continually threatens to cut off aid to Central American countries.  I do not know if he has done that yet.  Wouldn't that exacerbate the number of asylum seekers?  Second, we have American businesses that hire undocumented migrants every day, and avoid paying taxes and benefits from those hires.  What are we doing to combat that?  How often do you hear about ICE raiding a business?  Once in a while, but not very often.  How often are criminal penalties levied against those business owners?

War at home and jobs for undocumented workers here are the cause of the migrations, they are not the outcomes.  What has Trump done to attack the causes?  Very little.  He focuses on the poor men, women and children... the least of our brothers.  This is why I and I'm sure many like me, believe he is a racist.  It's not words, it's actions that make little sense if he were actually interested in solving the problem.  Why isn't DACA resolved?  Why isn't there a pathway to citizenship conversation?  Because he doesn't give a shit about the humans in the equation. 
    When this does happen it usually get's slammed by the media, well at least when I listen to NPR.

Your second point on DACA is something that looks like has been forgotten about.  Trump did ask Congress to figure it out which looks like they don't give a shit to me because they haven't moved forward with anything.  A bipartisan DACA bill shouldn't be too hard to do so I put the blame on both parties for that.
    I don't think your statement on DACA is true.  If the solution to deport them, yeah the Freedom Caucus and Steve King's of the world are all ready to make a deal.  If it means allowing them to stay, that's where the President has shown zero leadership nor has he exerted an ounce of political capital or leverage on the immigration hard liners in the country.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Great answer thank you!

this is something I am continually asking and no one seems to want (or can) answer. if you really want to stop the influx, you cut it off at the source: the people paying them. 

you don't leave out a stack of cheese and call an exterminator when the rats come in. get rid of the cheese, dumbass!

(NO, I'M NOT COMPARING IMMIGRANTS TO RATS-SO DON'T GO THERE)
    This is correct.  They come here because some business will pay them to work.  That's what they want.  I never blame immigrants for coming.  My father was an immigrant.  I understand why they try and I respect them immensely for giving up everything in their homeland to come to a place where they will likely be harassed, ridiculed, and demonized.  
  • Options
    People are still afraid of this thing? People can’t see through the obvious political stunt??

Come on. People. 
    #Standuptostupid 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    tbergs said:

No one has said that and you should tone down the fear mongering rhetoric certain politicians and media are using to describe the situation. What you are describing sounds like a scene from some action movie. It's funny how one little word can make a difference in the portrayal of a situation. Change "demanding" to seeking, requesting or whatever else and it loses the urgency of a violent threat requiring the military locked and loaded.
    Look up a few spots above your comment.  I did realize that people would harp on that one word rather than answer the question so I did change the phrasing of the question.
    Yup, AMT has gotten awesome. People focusing on a word to avoid having to answer a question.  

Im not ok with it. I’m not ok with our immigration policy.  I find it very frustrating that because lawmakers turned a blind eye and did nothing about it for years that now the choices seem to be the racist policy of the current president or the fucked up “it’s too hard a problem to solve - everyone is a person - flowers feel pain” bullshit of demonizing anyone that wants some sort of control over the border.  It’s disgusting.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:

No one has said that and you should tone down the fear mongering rhetoric certain politicians and media are using to describe the situation. What you are describing sounds like a scene from some action movie. It's funny how one little word can make a difference in the portrayal of a situation. Change "demanding" to seeking, requesting or whatever else and it loses the urgency of a violent threat requiring the military locked and loaded.
    Look up a few spots above your comment.  I did realize that people would harp on that one word rather than answer the question so I did change the phrasing of the question.
    Yup, AMT has gotten awesome. People focusing on a word to avoid having to answer a question.  

Im not ok with it. I’m not ok with our immigration policy.  I find it very frustrating that because lawmakers turned a blind eye and did nothing about it for years that now the choices seem to be the racist policy of the current president or the fucked up “it’s too hard a problem to solve - everyone is a person - flowers feel pain” bullshit of demonizing anyone that wants some sort of control over the border.  It’s disgusting.
    So words don't have power?  Proverbs 18:21 "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."
    Why do you think Fox and Trump have taken to calling them "invaders".  So yeah, I'm going to challenge a word that like "demand" that is designed and written for a particular purpose. 
    Second, I answered the question when he re-asked it in a way that was not designed to incite.  Hopefully the power of words does not escape you often.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    tbergs said:

You joining the bandwagon now too? I answered a similarly reasonable question the other day by Tempo that wasn't blatantly biased, but sure lets pretend no one will answer questions because, you know, it's just words. You must not be married or supervise employees if word usage can just be ignored. When my wife references something using "always" in relation to a current negative in our relationship, I don't let that shit fly. Generalizations and mischaracterizations come back to bite you in the ass when you don't call them out from the beginning. They perpetuate a reality that doesn't currently and never did exist.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

You joining the bandwagon now too? I answered a similarly reasonable question the other day by Tempo that wasn't blatantly biased, but sure lets pretend no one will answer questions because, you know, it's just words. You must not be married or supervise employees if word usage can just be ignored. When my wife references something using "always" in relation to a current negative in our relationship, I don't let that shit fly. Generalizations and mischaracterizations come back to bite you in the ass when you don't call them out from the beginning. They perpetuate a reality that doesn't currently and never did exist.
    Your powers of duduction are pretty shitty.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Your powers of duduction are pretty shitty.
    I hope so because I only know what I read on the AMT when I choose to answer questions that are phrased to my liking ;)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, why would anyone not be okay with people walking (not marching) up to the border with their little kids and asking for entry? That is when the US could document them all and start working to process them through the immigration/refugee system. But instead Trump wants to confront them with armed soldiers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, why would anyone not be okay with people walking (not marching) up to the border with their little kids and asking for entry? That is when the US could document them all and start working to process them through the immigration/refugee system. But instead Trump wants to confront them with armed soldiers.
    15,000 soldiers is what he said. Just delusional. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

We're really lucky something like the LA riots hasn't occurred yet during this admin.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Only a sith deals in absolutes - Obi-Wan
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are marching...

Million man march... Woman's march etc etc...  It's a march.  A march isn't a bad thing...

Your solution is exactly what I had proposed earlier.  I would like to document and accept them in.  Vetting them might make it next to impossible but at least we could have something started.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

5000 additional.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are marching...

Million man march... Woman's march etc etc...  It's a march.  A march isn't a bad thing...

Your solution is exactly what I had proposed earlier.  I would like to document and accept them in.  Vetting them might make it next to impossible but at least we could have something started.
    The term march is a bad thing when the entire caravan is being spoken of in militaristic terms in general, by design. It's all about the larger context. "Marching" in the context of "invasion" is most definitely negative, so we should all try to avoid such language to counteract what Trump's trying to do with his propaganda, IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are marching...

The term march is a bad thing when the entire caravan is being spoken of in militaristic terms in general, by design. It's all about the larger context. "Marching" in the context of "invasion" is most definitely negative, so we should all try to avoid such language to counteract what Trump's trying to do with his propaganda, IMO.
    That is silly...  My two examples hold no weight then?

Walk it is.

So far on AMT I learned I am not permitted to use the words March or Psycho.

My next thread is going to be about PC words that you can not say.   That should get some blood boiling.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298

How are we to know why they are doing this and no one here has suggested that let’s just open the borders and let everyone in ! Let me ask you this are you ok with this administration stating that I’d be ok to shoot them if they throw rocks , or would you rather they start with attack dogs and water canons first and then move to bullets ..
    Jose you answered me with a question and didn't really answer mine.

I'll ask this, "Why are they going to throw rocks at US soldiers?!?"  

That wouldn't put them in a very good light.
    But your stating as if it’s def going to happen? Now if they show up start getting violent then only then can there be a reaction from the soldiers..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are marching...

Walk it is.

My next thread is going to be about PC words that you can not say.   That should get some blood boiling.
    Who said you're not allowed to do something? I was just expressing my opinion about why using the term march in relation to this particular caravan doesn't work well. In this case, you already changed the "demanding"... All in all, your sentence, for some people reading it, carried an unfavorable subtext. Yes, these days, because of Trump rhetoric, language matters more than ever. You can do what you like with that. 
  • Options
    Maybe if people cared more about the words coming out of their mouth and what they imply, then somebody like Trump would have been less acceptable as a president. Call it a ridiculous comparison, but I would wager that 50 years ago many balked at the idea of being told that "darkie" shouldn't be used when referring to "those" people.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Maybe if people cared more about the words coming out of their mouth and what they imply, then somebody like Trump would have been less acceptable as a president. Call it a ridiculous comparison, but I would wager that 50 years ago many balked at the idea of being told that "darkie" shouldn't be used when referring to "those" people.
    Very true but peoples panties get all up in bunches and harp on a word rather than answer the question asked.  That is how stories/news gets a spin.  Take something out of context and it becomes another story all in itself.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Very true but peoples panties get all up in bunches and harp on a word rather than answer the question asked.  That is how stories/news gets a spin.  Take something out of context and it becomes another story all in itself.
    No, you're wrong.  The words are important.  How do you not see that?  You don't see the difference between "Caravan of refugees" and "Caravan of invaders"?  You don't see the difference between "demand entry" and "request asylum"?  Is this a joke?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they are marching...

Walk it is.

Who said you're not allowed to do something? I was just expressing my opinion about why using the term march in relation to this particular caravan doesn't work well. In this case, you already changed the "demanding"... All in all, your sentence, for some people reading it, carried an unfavorable subtext. Yes, these days, because of Trump rhetoric, language matters more than ever. You can do what you like with that. 
    So they are meandering to ask to be let in?  And if the answer was "No", what do you think the reaction would be?  They all going to meander back to where they came from?

I certainly think they are walking (marching by the way is an entirely proper term to use...one of the definitions of marching is "walk or proceed quickly and with determination") and that they intend to enter the US however they have to.  I seriously doubt they will turn around.  So I see no issue with just stating march and demand in this case.  But we will see if it's really "demand" won't we?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I don;t think that is a good comparison at all vs using "march" or "demand". 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

How are we to know why they are doing this and no one here has suggested that let’s just open the borders and let everyone in ! Let me ask you this are you ok with this administration stating that I’d be ok to shoot them if they throw rocks , or would you rather they start with attack dogs and water canons first and then move to bullets ..
    Jose you answered me with a question and didn't really answer mine.

I'll ask this, "Why are they going to throw rocks at US soldiers?!?"  

That wouldn't put them in a very good light.
    But your stating as if it’s def going to happen? Now if they show up start getting violent then only then can there be a reaction from the soldiers..
    You actually brought up the rock throwing.  I would hope that neither side uses violence, there is no need for it.

The military there should be used to help organize lines and not look to creating a riot.

• Options
    I prefer “trudging to the border to request asylum.” Certain words inflame passions and that’s why they’re used. Regardless, Team Trump Treason hasn’t done anything to prevent what’s happening from happening or explain how the US intends to respond other than send troops. It’s a humanitarian crisis in the making and this time it’s not in some far away place but on our border. Have we lost our humanity? And you can bet that a President Obama or Clinton would have pulled their cabinet and military leaders together to figure out a humanitarian response, inclusive of marshaling the state department to work the levers of diplomacy and not be out on the campaign trail demonizing people and scaring whitey.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    tbergs said:
    Well I did answer the question too, lol. I think you're the one who made a big deal about me suggesting it's walking and not marching...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    Well I did answer the question too, lol. I think you're the one who made a big deal about me suggesting it's walking and not marching...
    It's not all about you, lol.  I also mention "stories and news gets a spin".  

The news these days reports on other people reporting and it becomes it's own story all from focusing on a word.

Happens in sports, happens in politics, happens here.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:

The news these days reports on other people reporting and it becomes it's own story all from focusing on a word.

I prefer to say that they are “making steps in the general direction of the United States to have a light hearted conversation”.  The words “walking” and “marching” are racist.

/s
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:

Like "invasion"?