Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    dignin said:
    As a Canadian I have no problem taking in legitimate refugees. I didn't have a problem with Syrian refugees coming here so why would I have a problem with American refugees?
    There should be more folks like you this world would be better off ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    dignin said:
    The people here that don't want refugees are the same people who would turn away shiploads of Jews in the 30's. Its pretty shameful.
    Do you realize that Canada also turned away the St. Louis?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    PJ_Soul said:
    yeah lots to laugh about from your safe white picket fence homes , you guys above are shameful to be making jokes about these folks the more i learn about some of you the more i'm happy to not really have to hang with any of you ..i hope none of you are ever in a situation to have to leave your precious homes and have to walk thousands of miles with your kids in tow just to find a safe place to carve out a living ....ughh America is really ugly ... 
    Agreed - this isn't fucking funny at all. But I'll never tell anyone they can't or shouldn't joke about something, no matter how distasteful it is to me. #cosby
    What bothers me much more is that some people here don't quite seem to think of these people are all the way human. The tone suggests they are only capable of thinking of them in an abstract, totally disconnected way. It's sad.
    ok i can agree i get to agitated by this situation and i end saying something that i shouldn't of , but this situation is horrible and i'm not saying open the border let them all come through but we don't have an administration that knows how to deal with it or even reach out to these countries that have all these problems that people just wanna leave , heads of state should be communicating to see how this can be addressed but with racist Miller leading the charge against these folks nothing good will come of this ...
    That's for sure. The WH is very deliberately using warlike rhetoric against these poor people, and some of the citizens are following suit, and that is so, so dangerous IMO, for a few different reasons, both for the refugees and American citizens/society.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    The people here that don't want refugees are the same people who would turn away shiploads of Jews in the 30's. Its pretty shameful.
    What's your point?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    What's your point?
    It seemed you were accusing only Americans of turning away boats of Jewish people. I was Just providing you with a history lesson to make you aware than Canada was pretty anti-Semitic during the 30’s and 40’s.  
  • Options
    dignin said:
    As a Canadian I have no problem taking in legitimate refugees. I didn't have a problem with Syrian refugees coming here so why would I have a problem with American refugees?
    Like I said before, I think it sets a bad precedent if we allow a huge caravan like this in. I am definitely not a fan. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Yeah, along with the USA and several other countries. Luckily at least some countries have evolved since then. Our Prime Minister is making an official apology for that terrible injustice on the floor of the House of Commons on November 7th. I'm sure nobody wants a future PM making another official apology decades from now to  the desperate refugees turned away in 2018.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    yeah lots to laugh about from your safe white picket fence homes , you guys above are shameful to be making jokes about these folks the more i learn about some of you the more i'm happy to not really have to hang with any of you ..i hope none of you are ever in a situation to have to leave your precious homes and have to walk thousands of miles with your kids in tow just to find a safe place to carve out a living ....ughh America is really ugly ... 
    Agreed - this isn't fucking funny at all. But I'll never tell anyone they can't or shouldn't joke about something, no matter how distasteful it is to me. #cosby
    What bothers me much more is that some people here don't quite seem to think of these people are all the way human. The tone suggests they are only capable of thinking of them in an abstract, totally disconnected way. It's sad.
    ok i can agree i get to agitated by this situation and i end saying something that i shouldn't of , but this situation is horrible and i'm not saying open the border let them all come through but we don't have an administration that knows how to deal with it or even reach out to these countries that have all these problems that people just wanna leave , heads of state should be communicating to see how this can be addressed but with racist Miller leading the charge against these folks nothing good will come of this ...
    I’m not sure any of the leaders of El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras or Mexico would even take Team Trump Treason’s call if he were to call and see how the US and those countries could work together to mitigate the issue. And why would they after all the shit spouted by Team Trump Treason? Remember that wall? Well it’s a wall of people you douche lord. But I bet Duearte would take his call, because you know, the Philippines is close to south and Central America.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Like I said before, I think it sets a bad precedent if we allow a huge caravan like this in. I am definitely not a fan. 
    And like i said there should be more folks like dignin in this world ...
  • Options
    like i've stated i'm not advocating for open borders but political solutions could be found if we had an administration that was humane in any way but as it has been proven this administration is full of inhumane individuals starting with the baffoon himself  !!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Im sure that's what some Americans (and Canadian's) were saying back in the 30's as an excuse too. Just as shameful then as it is now.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I’m not sure any of the leaders of El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras or Mexico would even take Team Trump Treason’s call if he were to call and see how the US and those countries could work together to mitigate the issue. And why would they after all the shit spouted by Team Trump Treason? Remember that wall? Well it’s a wall of people you douche lord. But I bet Duearte would take his call, because you know, the Philippines is close to south and Central America.

yep i can see that happening , who want's to talk to a pendejo lol , douche lord like it a lot ...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Im sure that's what some Americans (and Canadian's) were saying back in the 30's as an excuse too. Just as shameful then as it is now.
    Yup.
  • Options
    it sucks that this kind of issue has to happen at all , the leaders of these countries should be doing more to make people wan't to stay i blame them for letting their countries go to shit and it suck it has to fall on America's lap to fix it and i really believe Baffoon thinks the wall is the answer from the Pacific to the gulf of Mexico ...Central America has problems that will take 10 20 yrs to fix if they even could at this point ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    hmmmm...my first reaction was to lighten up since it’s just a messageboard and the reality of the people here care more than the general population.

But I think you have a point. Except I don’t have a white picket fence.

So anyhow, what I struggle with is these people are leaving there homes for financial reasons or local crime reasons. They are asylum seekers fleeing war, a tyrannical government, etc. And the man they are continuing to pass through other countries to get specifically to the US.  So, I’m unsure what I think should really happen when they show up.  If you let everyone in, how big is the next one? But if you don’t what will these people do, how will they live?  And should they be let in at the expense of other immigration? There is no easy choice.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    If they were to be allowed to illegally enter the country, of course that would be a bad precedent to set, but otherwise what is wrong with allowing them in if they go through the process set forth for any other immigrant or asylum seeker? What do you see as the biggest problem?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    hmmmm...my first reaction was to lighten up since it’s just a messageboard and the reality of the people here care more than the general population.

But I think you have a point. Except I don’t have a white picket fence.

So anyhow, what I struggle with is these people are leaving there homes for financial reasons or local crime reasons. They are asylum seekers fleeing war, a tyrannical government, etc. And the man they are continuing to pass through other countries to get specifically to the US.  So, I’m unsure what I think should really happen when they show up.  If you let everyone in, how big is the next one? But if you don’t what will these people do, how will they live?  And should they be let in at the expense of other immigration? There is no easy choice.

Could one make the argument that America is the greatest country in the world based on what these caravan of people will do to get here?  I mean they are risking life and limb to get to the promise land.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    If they were to be allowed to illegally enter the country, of course that would be a bad precedent to set, but otherwise what is wrong with allowing them in if they go through the process set forth for any other immigrant or asylum seeker? What do you see as the biggest problem?
    I think just the sheer size of the caravan. This is what 5,000 people (I honestly don’t know), what If the next is double that size? Then whole cities?  How can we as a nation absorb that many so quickly and be safe about it?
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

This is what I fear:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/another-u-s-bound-caravan-takes-shape-one-el-salvador-n923346

WASHINGTON — As the Trump administration makes preparations to combat the 6,500-member Honduran migrant caravan making its way toward the United States, the Department of Homeland Security is also tracking a new caravan taking shape — this time from El Salvador, according to two U.S. officials, a local source on the ground in Central America and an internal U.S. government report obtained by NBC News.

The El Salvadoran caravan is still forming, but its members have plans to begin their journey northward toward the U.S. next week, according to the sources.

The internal report indicates that DHS is tracking the communications of caravan members, including a 230-member WhatsApp group that intends to leave on Oct. 31.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    edited October 2018
    Who here believes there are middle easterners mixed in? If so, how many are there? Who believes that the Dems are funding the caravan? Who believes there are riots in sanctuary cities in California?
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    I think just the sheer size of the caravan. This is what 5,000 people (I honestly don’t know), what If the next is double that size? Then whole cities?  How can we as a nation absorb that many so quickly and be safe about it?
    Dude, they're not all just going to walk across the border. They're coming here to apply for asylum as refugees which means there is an extensive vetting process. These caravans have apparently been coming here for a couple decades. Nobody has cared about them until our president saw a story about it on Fox and Friends last year and decided it was yet another way he could drive a wedge into out political discourse.

Overall net immigration has been down. Stop taking the president's word on this (and anything else for that matter). He lies all the time for political purposes. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It’s all about racism and xenophobic fear. Because that’s all Team Trump Treason has.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Dude, they're not all just going to walk across the border. They're coming here to apply for asylum as refugees which means there is an extensive vetting process. These caravans have apparently been coming here for a couple decades. Nobody has cared about them until our president saw a story about it on Fox and Friends last year and decided it was yet another way he could drive a wedge into out political discourse.

Overall net immigration has been down. Stop taking the president's word on this (and anything else for that matter). He lies all the time for political purposes. 
    From what i have read immigration numbers are up.  Interesting.  And trust me, I don't believe a syllable of what Trump says.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

From what i have read immigration numbers are up.  Interesting.  And trust me, I don't believe a syllable of what Trump says.
    It has been declining for years. I think we actually had a net outflow of immigrants last year. It’s an issue that needs to be addressed but it’s nowhere near “national emergency” stays. Manufactured outrage by Trump to drive his racist base to the polls. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

There is currently net out-migration of Mexicans. This has been superseded by entry of more Central American residents, but projections are for this to also wane.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-10-19/november-2018-elections-gop-hides-its-real-health-care-position

(I have no idea why the headline on the link is about health care, whereas the article is about immigration :pensive: )
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Really is about the dumbest comment made on this subject.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Really is about the dumbest comment made on this subject.
    Nah, don't worry, the title is safely yours.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Who here believes there are middle easterners mixed in? If so, how many are there? Who believes that the Dems are funding the caravan? Who believes there are riots in sanctuary cities in California?
    "There's no proof of anything but they could very well be." - Trump 
    Who needs proof when you have el Presidente's conspiracy theories to get us through the day. And with his absolute declaration of absence of proof of anything, he's got massive latitude for truth-stretching lying to his low-information supporters.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08