Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Toronto faces having to close community centres, cancel programs to house migrant tide from U.S.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-faces-having-to-close-community-centres-cancel-programs-to-house-migrant-tide-from-u-s?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1530021674

Nah there no price to pay for illegal migrants...
    There always will be, but in the end the benefit outweighs it, if it's done right. why are they jamming all of these people in one of the most densely populated cities in canada?
    What's the benefit? I'm asking this seriously because I really don't know the answer.
    economically. 
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance but again, I'm not following you. How do asylum seekers and refugees help the economy?

And I made a point here to say "asylum seekers and refugees" because that's what the article says. Meltdown99, who posted the article, referred to it as illegal immigration, which is different.
    I fail to see how they help the economy?  The Ontario government spends around 11000 per child to educate, Many of the asylum seeker have more than 3 kids ... 3 kids alone is $33000/ year in services ... these asylum seekers will never pay that amount of tax, not the mention the extra strain on our government run health care.

Yeah this was the answer I kinda looking for. I think it's a stress on the American (or in this case, Canadian) government to provide for these asylum seekers. It doesn't seem like it helps the economy like HFD has suggested it does.
    Wait? Instead of doing a little research to find some facts you settle for "the answer I kinda looking for", from a guy providing an uniformed opinion? 

Yikes.
    Well you're not exactly adding much here are you? At least he provided something and left it up to me to give a shit or not to follow-up. And then HughFreakinDillion linked to a study about it that was a good enough follow-up for me.

Yikes.
    The point is stop being lazy. I've posted articles related to the benefits of immigration in this forum dozens of time of the years as have others. I searched out the info myself because I didn't need it spoon fed to me.
    Hey I said I read the article that HFD posted, thought it was interesting, but took it with a grain of salt.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Toronto faces having to close community centres, cancel programs to house migrant tide from U.S.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-faces-having-to-close-community-centres-cancel-programs-to-house-migrant-tide-from-u-s?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1530021674

There always will be, but in the end the benefit outweighs it, if it's done right. why are they jamming all of these people in one of the most densely populated cities in canada?
    What's the benefit? I'm asking this seriously because I really don't know the answer.
    economically. 
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance but again, I'm not following you. How do asylum seekers and refugees help the economy?

And I made a point here to say "asylum seekers and refugees" because that's what the article says. Meltdown99, who posted the article, referred to it as illegal immigration, which is different.
    I fail to see how they help the economy?  The Ontario government spends around 11000 per child to educate, Many of the asylum seeker have more than 3 kids ... 3 kids alone is $33000/ year in services ... these asylum seekers will never pay that amount of tax, not the mention the extra strain on our government run health care.

Yeah this was the answer I kinda looking for. I think it's a stress on the American (or in this case, Canadian) government to provide for these asylum seekers. It doesn't seem like it helps the economy like HFD has suggested it does.
    Wait? Instead of doing a little research to find some facts you settle for "the answer I kinda looking for", from a guy providing an uniformed opinion? 

Yikes.
    Well you're not exactly adding much here are you? At least he provided something and left it up to me to give a shit or not to follow-up. And then HughFreakinDillion linked to a study about it that was a good enough follow-up for me.

Yikes.
    The point is stop being lazy. I've posted articles related to the benefits of immigration in this forum dozens of time of the years as have others. I searched out the info myself because I didn't need it spoon fed to me.
    we were just having a conversation. many times people request links/research to back up someone's claim. what he did was no different. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    Hey I said I read the article that HFD posted, thought it was interesting, but took it with a grain of salt.
    You could take it a step further and think about why you take it with a grain of salt when it's vetted info from sourced material and why you jump to agree with someone's unvetted or sourced (and grumpy as shit lol) opinion.
    Confirmation bias is more deeply rooted in the human psychology than many people realize and most people need to actively work to avoid it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    You could take it a step further and think about why you take it with a grain of salt when it's vetted info from sourced material and why you jump to agree with someone's unvetted or sourced (and grumpy as shit lol) opinion.
    Confirmation bias is more deeply rooted in the human psychology than many people realize and most people need to actively work to avoid it.
    I already took a step farther two pages ago when I responded to PJ_Soul with this post where I basically admit a confirmation bias on this topic. Here's a copy and paste.....

"That's fair enough. After all, he didn't exactly have anything to back up his numbers. And yet, when HughFreakinDillion linked to a study that seems to be from credible source, I took THAT with a grain of salt. Why? Well I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm looking to be convinced that someone like Meltdown is right about immigration. I guess I'm just on the conservative side of the fence on this immigration thing."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    I apologize for being pretty harsh. No need for it.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 
    Often Reading posted this on the Trump thread, you may have missed it.  It was before page 666.

Trump administration officials, under pressure from the White House to provide a rationale for reducing the number of refugees allowed into the United States next year, rejected a study by the Department of Health and Human Services that found that refugees brought in $63 billion more in government revenues over the past decade than they cost.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/us/politics/refugees-revenue-cost-report-trump.html
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,599
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 
    Often Reading posted this on the Trump thread, you may have missed it.  It was before page 666.

Trump administration officials, under pressure from the White House to provide a rationale for reducing the number of refugees allowed into the United States next year, rejected a study by the Department of Health and Human Services that found that refugees brought in $63 billion more in government revenues over the past decade than they cost.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/us/politics/refugees-revenue-cost-report-trump.html
    Facts have no place in delusions of grandeur.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited June 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

It goes both ways though. Several articles available for your reading pleasure that say those findings aren’t entirely legit.

https://cis.org/Report/Costs-Immigration

doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that immigration costs country’s and therefore taxpayers a lot of money.  Whether or not it’s offset by an ESTIMATE of whether they’ll end up making the country or municipality money in the long run is up for debate. Left says yes, right says maybe not.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

It goes both ways though. Several articles available for your reading pleasure that say those findings aren’t entirely legit.

doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that immigration costs country’s and therefore taxpayers a lot of money.  Whether or not it’s offset by an ESTIMATE of whether they’ll end up making the country or municipality money in the long run.
    That is from 1994, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that immigration costs country’s and therefore taxpayers a lot of money.  Whether or not it’s offset by an ESTIMATE of whether they’ll end up making the country or municipality money in the long run is up for debate. Left says yes, right says maybe not.
    The “costs” are estimates, too. That’s how this sort of public accounting works. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,599
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

Nor does it take a rocket scientist to find alternate sources of information that rely on factual data, like the State of Florida’s tax data. But yea, I’ve read multiple reports that cite economic numbers or that they analyzed data from more than 40 different ways to disprove their assumption. They all come back and say basically the same thing, that legal and illegal immigrants contribute way more than they take or cost and if we didn’t have them, the economy would stagnate and suffer. And it holds true whether it’s Germany, Canada or the US. That is called formulating and informed opinion but feel free to wallow in your ignorance.

https://www.thenation.com/article/undocumented-immigrants-contribute-over-11-billion-to-our-economy-each-year/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

Considering the vast majority of the population did not descend from the colonists, I think it would be difficult to find an immigrant group that is a specific drain on the economy compared to other ethnic groups, in the long run.  Of course there's a near term cost, but wouldn't a first year economic student call that an opportunity cost?
    Also the CIS is a well known anti-immigration think tank.  The HHS is a governmental agency and likely produced a fairer analysis, particularly since it was a Republic administration.  
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that immigration costs country’s and therefore taxpayers a lot of money.  Whether or not it’s offset by an ESTIMATE of whether they’ll end up making the country or municipality money in the long run.
    That is from 1994, lol.

"lol"
    thats from the center for immigration studies- there's not much of a better, more unbiased source available out there.. Although Mrussel just said otherwise- I didn't realize it was biased.  Do the work yourself, it’s a whole site for your perusal, very recent articles.  I actually was reading a different one from May 22, 2018 but my phone spazzed out and so I posted the one above.  You may find that the results that they’ve found haven’t changed much since the '94 linked one (obviously.  immigration is still immigration, why would it?) Out of curiosity, why would you think that findings would be different today than then?  California lost almost 280 million, Texas -130 million.  Pretty much always a negative for the city.

Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

That is from 1994, lol.

"lol"
    thats from the center for immigration studies- there's not much of a better, more unbiased source available out there..  Do the work yourself, it’s a whole site for your perusal, very recent articles.  I actually was reading a different one from May 22, 2018 but my phone spazzed out and so I posted the one above.  You may find that the results that they’ve found haven’t changed much since the '94 linked one (obviously.  immigration is still immigration, why would it?) Out of curiosity, why would you think that findings would be different today than then?  California lost almost 280 million, Texas -130 million.  Pretty much always a negative for the city.

I mean....should we just keep posting this article in response to bullshit posts like this one?

Quit ignoring FACTS.

By the way, the CIS is an ANTI IMMIGRANT organization who has been branded a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center. No bias on that site you found with a quick google search!

Quit ignoring facts and stop wasting our time with these ignorant posts that are not based in reality.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

Considering the vast majority of the population did not descend from the colonists, I think it would be difficult to find an immigrant group that is a specific drain on the economy compared to other ethnic groups, in the long run.  Of course there's a near term cost, but wouldn't a first year economic student call that an opportunity cost?
    Also the CIS is a well known anti-immigration think tank.  The HHS is a governmental agency and likely produced a fairer analysis, particularly since it was a Republic administration.  
    Didn't realize it was a biased think tank at all.  The numbers seemed legit.

I hear what you're saying but not sure you can compare colonial times to now with regards to immigration's affect on the economy.  The reason it's up for debate is that the info out there is so skewed both ways- why isn't there some honest information so all can see if it's a gross plus or minus on an economy??

Personally my feelings towards immigration have changed dramatically since I moved to Texas.  When I lived in NY it was a non issue, so I was like "what's the problem?!"  Now that I spend 30k a year to put my daughter through private middle school because the schools are so shitty here due to how labored they are trying to bring Spanish speaking students up to state standards, I've learned to see it a whole different way.  Would my 30k a year cost to give her an average education figure into costs that citizen's bare?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

That is from 1994, lol.

"lol"
    thats from the center for immigration studies- there's not much of a better, more unbiased source available out there.. Although Mrussel just said otherwise- I didn't realize it was biased.  Do the work yourself, it’s a whole site for your perusal, very recent articles.  I actually was reading a different one from May 22, 2018 but my phone spazzed out and so I posted the one above.  You may find that the results that they’ve found haven’t changed much since the '94 linked one (obviously.  immigration is still immigration, why would it?) Out of curiosity, why would you think that findings would be different today than then?  California lost almost 280 million, Texas -130 million.  Pretty much always a negative for the city.

I think it's been made pretty clear here that the perspective you're promoting is basically garbage. But to satisfy your curiosity, why wouldn't 1994 findings be different than they are today? Don't you have any concept of how much has changed in 24 years, with the economy, taxation, the job market, the cost of things, the population, salaries, social programs, issues that immigrants confront, international politics, etc etc etc? Nobody trying to prove a point about the present would ever purposefully post an article that old and expect anyone to take it seriously - its age renders it completely meaningless because the reader has literally no clue what if anything in it still applies. I mean, saying that immigration is immigration, why would things change is a weird thing to say... By that logic, we should consult the immigration records and related news from 1876 and proclaim that we understand today's immigration issues, lol. But you say you didn't purposefully post the very old article; I suppose I'll take your word for it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

That's a pretty pleasant surprise (the $63 billion, not that Trump refutes the study) because I really never would have guessed that. Also, I don't want to be lumping refugees/asylum seekers (same thing?) in with illegal immigrants, which is what Trump wants you to do. He subtly lumps them all together. I'm all for giving refuge, surprised that it's actually beneficial to the economy, shouldn't have accepted Meltdown's numbers simply on the basis that I figured they were accurate, and yeah...I have to admit  mistake. Not just in having the facts wrong, but not in not being bothered to research (one of you guys said "lazy" and you were right). I was writing memorandums for the court (I'm a probation officer) while talking refugee benefits/concerns on the Pearl Jam message board and was like "Ughh let this day end." 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

I hear what you're saying but not sure you can compare colonial times to now with regards to immigration's affect on the economy.  The reason it's up for debate is that the info out there is so skewed both ways- why isn't there some honest information so all can see if it's a gross plus or minus on an economy??

Personally my feelings towards immigration have changed dramatically since I moved to Texas.  When I lived in NY it was a non issue, so I was like "what's the problem?!"  Now that I spend 30k a year to put my daughter through private middle school because the schools are so shitty here due to how labored they are trying to bring Spanish speaking students up to state standards, I've learned to see it a whole different way.  Would my 30k a year cost to give her an average education figure into costs that citizen's bare?
    My point on colonial times is that unless you're part of a first family, you're an immigrant. It was a tongue in cheek comment.  Now regarding your schools, I'm not saying that an immigrant population doesn't put a strain on schools, it may, but there's a strong correlation between the state income tax rate and the quality of the public education.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

That is from 1994, lol.

"lol"

I think it's been made pretty clear here that the perspective you're promoting is basically garbage. But to satisfy your curiosity, why wouldn't 1994 findings be different than they are today? Don't you have any concept of how much has changed in 24 years, with the economy, taxation, the job market, the cost of things, the population, salaries, social programs, issues that immigrants confront, international politics, etc etc etc? Nobody trying to prove a point about the present would ever purposefully post an article that old and expect anyone to take it seriously - its age renders it completely meaningless because the reader has literally no clue what if anything in it still applies. I mean, saying that immigration is immigration, why would things change is a weird thing to say... By that logic, we should consult the immigration records and related news from 1876 and proclaim that we understand today's immigration issues, lol. But you say you didn't purposefully post the very old article; I suppose I'll take your word for it.
    Let's just agree not to respond to each other from now on.  I see your comments/opinions as worthless as you see mine, but at least I live in the country of which I speak.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

My point on colonial times is that unless you're part of a first family, you're an immigrant. It was a tongue in cheek comment.  Now regarding your schools, I'm not saying that an immigrant population doesn't put a strain on schools, it may, but there's a strong correlation between the state income tax rate and the quality of the public education.  
    Cool, thanks for the info.  I'm assuming TX has a relatively low income tax then, because their schools sure suck.  What about property tax?  We pay a shitload here, so much that's it's changing the demographic throughout the city.  I pay just slightly less, about 1k, than my parents in upstate NY, and their house is worth 300k more.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Let's just agree not to respond to each other from now on.  I see your comments/opinions as worthless as you see mine, but at least I live in the country of which I speak.
    This is almost poetic. Read your comment out loud in an English accent. It's very dignified, and an admirable way to end an argument. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Did I miss anything today? lol
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

Cool, thanks for the info.  I'm assuming TX has a relatively low income tax then, because their schools sure suck.  What about property tax?  We pay a shitload here, so much that's it's changing the demographic throughout the city.  I pay just slightly less, about 1k, than my parents in upstate NY, and their house is worth 300k more.
    You have no state income tax.  Not sure about property but isn't that set by the county not the state? That's how it is in the three states where i've lived. How is the demo changing? In what way?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

That is from 1994, lol.

"lol"

god i can't stand the 'you don't live in the US so your opinion is void' bullshit. if your country constantly portrays itself as a beacon for the world, and the place everyone aspires to be, and consistently fucks with the rest of the world's affairs, damn rights the rest of our opinions are just as valid as that of an american citizen. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited June 2018

This is almost poetic. Read your comment out loud in an English accent. It's very dignified, and an admirable way to end an argument. 
    Are you joking?? That last part is the exact opposite of admirable, and reflective of a fair bit of ignorance.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Yikes.

Yikes.
    No big deal. 

That is from 1994, lol.

"lol"

god i can't stand the 'you don't live in the US so your opinion is void' bullshit. if your country constantly portrays itself as a beacon for the world, and the place everyone aspires to be, and consistently fucks with the rest of the world's affairs, damn rights the rest of our opinions are just as valid as that of an american citizen. 
    It's like speaking to an Israeli: until you come live here, you couldn't possibly understand our realities, and thus, your opinion is moot, and any inconvenient conclusions are false. I don't find it coincidental that both nations claim unique circumstances that should validate such exceptionalism.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.
    Ledbetterman, If I were you I'd never take what meltdown says as an informed opinion. He has no real idea of how immigrants benefit the economy at the end of the day, and therefore just assumes they don't by looking at selective info from a biased position. Once he finds enough info to make it look like his preconceived notion is correct, he stops, and presents his conclusions in a way that makes some think it's an informed opinion.
    That's fair enough. After all, he didn't exactly have anything to back up his numbers. And yet, when HughFreakinDillion linked to a study that seems to be from credible source, I took THAT with a grain of salt. Why? Well I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm looking to be convinced of that someone like Meltdown is right about immigration. I guess I'm just on the conservative side of the fence on this immigration thing.
    It's really just the difference between a narrow view and wide view... I think we all know which view is the best one. ;)
    I just hate extremes. The illegal immigration extremes are....

Conservative: GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!
    Liberal: We're all immigrants! Don't be a hypocrite.

I think the answers fall someone where in the middle.
    It does.

Illegal.
    Legal.

That is it.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.
    Ledbetterman, If I were you I'd never take what meltdown says as an informed opinion. He has no real idea of how immigrants benefit the economy at the end of the day, and therefore just assumes they don't by looking at selective info from a biased position. Once he finds enough info to make it look like his preconceived notion is correct, he stops, and presents his conclusions in a way that makes some think it's an informed opinion.
    That's fair enough. After all, he didn't exactly have anything to back up his numbers. And yet, when HughFreakinDillion linked to a study that seems to be from credible source, I took THAT with a grain of salt. Why? Well I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm looking to be convinced of that someone like Meltdown is right about immigration. I guess I'm just on the conservative side of the fence on this immigration thing.
    It's really just the difference between a narrow view and wide view... I think we all know which view is the best one. ;)
    I just hate extremes. The illegal immigration extremes are....

Conservative: GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!
    Liberal: We're all immigrants! Don't be a hypocrite.

I think the answers fall someone where in the middle.
    It does.

Illegal.
    Legal.

That is it.
    Yes, when you remove all empathy and humanity from the equation, it is that simple. Too bad that impossible in practice unless you're evil and/or a psychopath.