Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    This weekend they found a truck with 55 people in the back being trafficked into the US abandoned in San Antonio.

luckily this time the cartel was nice enough to provide water and AC so they didn’t stew in there.

hey Jose- someone must have read your post on here to me about pizza:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/man-delivers-pizza-to-immigrants-found-in-semi-truck-in-san-antonio/
    Nice man right there no need to treat immigrants as if they are not human like the man you voted for is doing the exact opposite and to top it off they are treating children like they are unsold stuffed animals , I apolo
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I apologized to you but I’ll never see eye to eye on this administration or this president with you they are disgusting humans and you voted for the biggest culprit..
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I apologized to you but I’ll never see eye to eye on this administration or this president with you they are disgusting humans and you voted for the biggest culprit..
    Hey I think a lot of people need to realize that because you voted for someone doesn’t mean you’re guilty of all the shit that elected person does.  Stop taking your anger out on his supporters when they’re not pulling kids away from their parents or any of the other horrible things that happen around the country from either side.  It’s common sense. The broad brush you paint us all with us exactly the reason he got elected.  Conservatives got tired of being called vile names and racist and all that stuff and voted with a middle finger back at that hate.  

I laugh because being in amt on this forum is like being at a cocktail party where tons of folks are half in the bag and saying shit they wouldn’t normally say in public- they’re talking shit about black people for example when they’re over there standing in the same room!  Just because the folks you despise aren’t posting doesn’t mean they’re not there helping themselves to some of the same buffet.  I guess what I’m saying is glass house kind of stuff- calling people classless but in the same breath saying something classless doesnt make yourself look too classy.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Hey I think a lot of people need to realize that because you voted for someone doesn’t mean you’re guilty of all the shit that elected person does.  Stop taking your anger out on his supporters when they’re not pulling kids away from their parents or any of the other horrible things that happen around the country from either side.  It’s common sense. The broad brush you paint us all with us exactly the reason he got elected.  Conservatives got tired of being called vile names and racist and all that stuff and voted with a middle finger back at that hate.  

I laugh because being in amt on this forum is like being at a cocktail party where tons of folks are half in the bag and saying shit they wouldn’t normally say in public- they’re talking shit about black people for example when they’re over there standing in the same room!  Just because the folks you despise aren’t posting doesn’t mean they’re not there helping themselves to some of the same buffet.  I guess what I’m saying is glass house kind of stuff- calling people classless but in the same breath saying something classless doesnt make yourself look too classy.
    people keep saying "this is exactly why trump won". No it isn't. I get tired of this "we banded together and kicked your ass" mentality. the pendulum always swings the other way. after 8 years of one party, always, or almost always, swing voters 'want a change" and vote the other way. the only reason Trump won the nomination is because he is a vile human being and catered to the lowest common denominator, vindicating their hate and bigotry and childishness along the way. he emboldended the right (wrong) people and got them out to vote. 

some will always vote republican. 
    some will always vote democrat.
    the rest vote what affects them personally, thinking that somehow magically one party is going to change everything for them. 

this "liberal hate" I keep reading about is a fallacy. there is no such thing. liberals are just sick and tired of people wanting to stay living in the stone ages and want progression and change that is good for all. call it intolerance of intolerance if you wish. the hate and bigotry on the right, while not all emcompassing, is very real, and needs to be left behind. 

the liberal motto is mind your own fucking business. let people live as they live, love as they love. the right wants to control people, and when people try to control a group, you bet your ass that group is going to get fucking mad. that's not "liberal hate". the right can take their love laws and live laws and shove them up their ass. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

House GOP unveils bill for young immigrants, $25B for border

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-gop-unveils-bill-young-immigrants-25b-border-225522354--politics.html
    Demonstrators line up to protest U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions and immigration reform at Parkview Field in Fort Wayne, Ind. Thursday, June 14, 2018. (Mike Moore/The Journal-Gazette via AP)

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republicans unveiled a "discussion draft" of a sweeping immigration bill that includes a path to citizenship for young immigrants, $25 billion in border security — including advance funds for President Donald Trump's wall with Mexico — and a provision aimed at addressing the crisis of family separations at the border.

Presented to lawmakers Thursday, the measure sticks to Trump's immigration priorities while trying to join the party's warring conservative and moderate factions on an issue that has divided the GOP for years. Passage is far from certain.

Speaker Paul Ryan wants to hold a vote as soon as next week to put the issue to rest before the midterm election. He called it a "very good compromise."

"Our members felt very, very passionate about having votes on policies they care about, and that is what we are doing," he said earlier Thursday. "So we're bringing legislation that's been carefully crafted and negotiated to the floor. We won't guarantee passage."

The 293-page bill represents the kind of ambitious overhaul of the immigration system Republicans have long considered but have been unable to turn into law. It shifts away from the nation's longtime preference for family immigration to a new system that prioritizes entry based on merits and skills. It beefs up border security, clamps down on illegal entries and reinforces other immigration laws.

To address widespread concern over the sharp rise of families being separated at the border, the measure proposes keeping children in detention with their parents, undoing 2-decade-old rules that limit the time minors can be held in custody. The White House sought the change.

Trump has been supportive of the House GOP's approach, but the legislation faces opposition from Democrats. It's is unlikely to be approved in the Senate.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., called the legislation "nothing more than a cruel codification of President Trump's anti-immigrant agenda that abandons our nation's heritage as a beacon of hope and opportunity."

Advocates for immigrants said the changes to family detentions were particularly severe. Kerri Talbot, the policy director at Immigration Hub, called it a "wish list" from top White House immigration adviser Stephen Miller that "would allow the Trump administration to jail children for long periods of time."

GOP leaders have said they may take up the family detentions issue separately, if needed, as the crisis of children being separated from their parents continues. Administration officials have said they need more money for detention beds to house the influx of immigrants resulting from the administration's "zero tolerance" policy of stepped-up border enforcement.

The main new element is a path to citizenship for as many as 1.8 million young people who have been living in the U.S. illegally since childhood. Many conservatives object to providing these immigrants with legal status, calling it amnesty for those who broke the rules to get here. They are commonly referred to as "Dreamers," based on never-passed proposals in Congress called the DREAM Act that would have provided similar protections for young immigrants.

Republicans were reluctant to tackle the "Dreamer" issue this year. But it took on new urgency when moderate Republicans pushed it to the fore after Trump ended the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, exposing the young immigrants to deportation. A federal court case has temporarily allowed the program to keep running.

One Republican, Rep. Tom MacArthur of New Jersey, said he likes the way the compromise bill handles young people because "they're not getting in line in front of anyone else. That's fair." But, he added, because those people can eventually apply for citizenship, "they're not permanently sort of second-class residents of America."

Under the proposal, some 700,000 DACA recipients, as well as a broader group of young people who didn't register for the program, could apply for legal status, which would be valid for six years and renewable "indefinitely."

Eventually, young people, who are under 31 years old and have been in the country since at least June 2007, could begin to be awarded green cards based on a point system. It prioritizes education, English language proficiency, military service and continued employment. After that, they could apply for citizenship, as is the situation under current law for those with permanent legal status.

The new visa program, which is also available to other immigrants — including what lawmakers said is about 200,000 children who were brought to the U.S. legally by their parents — is contingent on the $25 billion in border security funding being fully provided.

In return, the proposal would eliminate several existing visa programs. Among them, family-related visas for the married children or adult siblings of U.S. citizens as well as the 55,000 visas now available under the diversity lottery system for immigrants from other represented countries, including many in Africa.

To beef up the border, the proposal provides the $25 billion the White House wants for security, including technology, roadways and money for the border wall. It authorizes National Guard troops at the U.S.-Mexico border. It also calls for the deployment of a biometric entry-exit system for all entry ports that has long been under debate.

The bill makes it easier for authorities to deport those here illegally, rather than allowing some to be released under certain circumstances.

For children who arrive unaccompanied by adults, it proposes "equal treatment" despite their country of origin. Advocates for immigrants said that opens the door for sending children from Central America swiftly back to their home countries, even when they are far away, the same way children from Mexico are turned back at the border.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I apologized to you but I’ll never see eye to eye on this administration or this president with you they are disgusting humans and you voted for the biggest culprit..

They are not standing in the same room. The two aren't even close.

You have not done well with this post: it's a poor man's 'you also had some very fine people on both sides' Charlottesville horrific comment. 

And classless is classless. Trump's daily actions epitomize classless... and if you're okay with him as he is and don't expect more decorum from him given the position he holds... well... guess what?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    typical. create a problem, then attempt to fix it to look like the hero if it passes or the democrats looks like the evil ones when it doesn't because they packaged it with shit that cannot be accepted. 

this admin is fucking evil. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    edited June 2018
    Trump said he won;t sign compromise bill.

I wonder if he even read it or referring to it as "compromise bill" made him say he won't sign it.

Maybe they can work on a compromise bill and call it the "Stay out bad Hombre" bill.  Put whatever they want in it and he'll sign away!
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
    typical. create a problem, then attempt to fix it to look like the hero if it passes or the democrats looks like the evil ones when it doesn't because they packaged it with shit that cannot be accepted. 

what would you deem "shit" in this bill?
    mcgruff10 said:

more wall bullshit. provisions that allow the government to detain kids for undefined amounts of time. merit based immigration. give us your tired, indeed. change that to "give us your skilled, your energetic, your middle class". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:

more wall bullshit. provisions that allow the government to detain kids for undefined amounts of time. merit based immigration. give us your tired, indeed. change that to "give us your skilled, your energetic, your middle class". 
    So you are against any merit-based process?  So first come first serve?  Is there a limit?
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:

So you are against any merit-based process?  So first come first serve?  Is there a limit?
    I think skilled vs unskilled is not the way to go. at least not the main determining factor, if it is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

Is that quote from the canada's immigration webpage?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

no, ours is "give us everyone you've got, just please leave your nailbombs at the door". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Immigration is tough. Come one come all cannot be expected. I'm actually okay with tightening up borders and immigration policies to some degree.

Where I have the problem is the current retro actions- deporting people who have proven themselves to be valuable citizens.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    mcgruff10 said:

I think skilled vs unskilled is not the way to go. at least not the main determining factor, if it is. 
    I actually tend to think that the overall # of open spots should be split into a few categories with % of total allocated for each.  And skilled being 1.  So certainly some merit-based immigration...but leaving room for other.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Immigration is tough. Come one come all cannot be expected. I'm actually okay with tightening up borders and immigration policies to some degree.

Where I have the problem is the current retro actions- deporting people who have proven themselves to be valuable citizens.
    I think most know that immigration reform is needed. just don't a fucking heartless asshole Huckabee Sanders about it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

no, ours is "give us everyone you've got, just please leave your nailbombs at the door". 
    My bad, damn phone. You guys are pretty particular in who you let in; why can’t the United States be the same?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

My bad, damn phone. You guys are pretty particular in who you let in; why can’t the United States be the same?
    let in whomever the hell you want. just stop deporting people who have been there 30 years and are contributing members of society and tearing families apart and detaining children in fucking immigration camps like this is nazi germany. it's unreal. 

that being said, if you want skill-based immigration, expect all of your costs to go up as consumers. a living wage for all workers won't pay for itself. 

canada can be particular as we don't share a border with an economically challenged country whose labour our economy has become dependent on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

Once again, we should leave them with their parents and give them “free” train tickets straight to Canada where they can get “free” healthcare and a much better education.  Would cost way less than holding them indefinitely.  The USA cannot even take care of the current citizens needs, so why keep throwing fuel on the fire?  Would Canadian citizens be willing to take on all of these immigrants?

Post edited by PJPOWER on

I'll ask again how do you feel about kids being separated from their parents at the border and kept in tent city's as if they are war prisoners ? 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited June 2018

I can buy that.  But it's a harder sell if you vote for him again.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

Once again, we should leave them with their parents and give them “free” train tickets straight to Canada where they can get “free” healthcare and a much better education.  Would cost way less than holding them indefinitely.  The USA cannot even take care of the current citizens needs, so why keep throwing fuel on the fire?  Would Canadian citizens be willing to take on all of these immigrants?

canada actually lets in WAY more immigrants per percentage of population than the US does. more than double the percentage, actually. 

https://www.immigroup.com/news/immigration-united-states-america-vs-canada
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

canada actually lets in WAY more immigrants per percentage of population than the US does. more than double the percentage, actually. 

Aaah, you're wrecking his cute little narrative :( Yeah, but how many of those were bad hombres? 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Yeah lay off me already! I hurled a few insults but that seems pretty much commonplace around here.  Jose personally attacks me and brings my restaurants and pizza stuff to every thread i post in for god sakes but I don’t even reply!  Sorry Ally, I just got possed that you attacked me for a bunch of stuff you thought I said... like I said, it was basically like you were so excited to rant at me since I voted for trump that you just assumed I hated trans people or something.  Not all trump supporters see the guy as a saint and believe everything he says.
    Sorry for dragging the subject back up again, but no, I'm not excited to rant at anyone - there was no psychological explanation behind my misreading your post. I just misread it due to carelessness, so really thought you said those things - I didn't assume anything; I thought I'd read you actually saying it. Honest mistake.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    Scruffy is stupid for not liking Riot Act

There, I said it. 
    Definitely some great songs in there but the majority are terrible. You are is the absolute worst pj song ever made. I d take a 49 minute version of Sweet Lew over that song. 
    Beyond stupid. 
    True - I take it back McGruff, you really are stupid. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

haha. the canada. 

What’s a few more :). And that is “per percentage of the population”. The link you provided explains that the US takes in WAY more immigrants, but also had a larger population of citizens already...looks like Canada has got the room to spare.The US is at capacity and Canada has the free healthcare and better education for them.

Post edited by PJPOWER on
    edited June 2018

I think the anger directed at Trump voters is beyond justified myself. Showing support for something absolutely does make someone culpable as far as I'm concerned. Without that support it wouldn't be happening and it wouldn't be getting worse by the day.
    For the record, I would say literally everything I've ever said on the AMT right to your face and to everyone else's.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So when do we go from saying we're taking these kids away to give them "baths" to we're taking them away to give them "showers?"

What's right is reich.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    So when do we go from saying we're taking these kids away to give them "baths" to we're taking them away to give them "showers?"

What's right is reich.
    That's insane.