Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think Acuna gets it too; however, I think both rookies are big time talents.

Soto is a hitting machine and Acuna is a premium athlete.

Jack Flaherty deserves some recognition, but a pitcher has to pitch at a Cy Young level to overcome an every day position player. Hell , Bader has gotten more attention locally and he’s been up and down offensively, though he’d be a lock for a Gold Glove if he played in more games.
  • Options
    So, Yanks lose the one game playoff?  Even if they win there is no way they make it past the Red Sox.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    edited September 2018
    So, Yanks lose the one game playoff?  Even if they win there is no way they make it past the Red Sox.
    losing Didi going to hurt. But they have a shot against the Red Sox
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Cy Young NL?

Is DeGrom really a consideration?  I know he is like Carlton from back in the day but I don't know?!?

His numbers are awesome sans the win column.

I do remember reading about Koufax and his teams with minimal support too but he still won games.

What say you?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Although anything can happen in the playoffs. If it wasn't for their record against the Marlins and Mets. The Braves are basically a .500 team. So I don't know how well they'll do
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    DeGrom is definitely a candidate. Dude can’t help it if his team can’t score 1 or 2 fucking runs. He’s done everything in his power to put the Mets in a position to win almost every time he takes the mound. And they just can’t back him up with any offense at all.
  • Options
    That said, if I had a vote, I’d have to go Scherzer and Snell. I don’t necessarily want to vote for Max but statistically he is the best all around pitcher in the NL.
  • Options
    That said, if I had a vote, I’d have to go Scherzer and Snell. I don’t necessarily want to vote for Max but statistically he is the best all around pitcher in the NL.
    deGrom has an almost 1 run better e.r.a. whip is .02 separation. deGrom has a better OPS against. Scherzer has more Ks and Wins.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Max also leads the NL in complete games, shutouts, innings, batters faced, hits per 9, k per 9, and k per walk.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,016
    edited September 2018
    I agree.

I know I've talked about DeGrom before being amazing but I can't give it to him...
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Max also leads the NL in complete games, shutouts, innings, batters faced, hits per 9, k per 9, and k per walk.
    Max has 1 more start than Jacob. And the numbers are not that far off. Scherzer has a 165 ERA+ and 2,71 FIP to deGrom's 208 ERA+ and 2.03 FIP.both leading
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    I think Acuna gets it too; however, I think both rookies are big time talents.

Soto is a hitting machine and Acuna is a premium athlete.

Jack Flaherty deserves some recognition, but a pitcher has to pitch at a Cy Young level to overcome an every day position player. Hell , Bader has gotten more attention locally and he’s been up and down offensively, though he’d be a lock for a Gold Glove if he played in more games.

He's been fantastic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    That's how I'd vote for both leagues.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    igotid88 said:
    Although anything can happen in the playoffs. If it wasn't for their record against the Marlins and Mets. The Braves are basically a .500 team. So I don't know how well they'll do
    Braves struggled against AL (2-7 combined record against Boston and NY)

Of the teams leading other NL divisions or wild card, they struggled against LA, but held their own against Chicago, Milwaukee, and St Louis. Unfortunately, it looks like they'd draw LA, so an NLDS loss wouldn't be too shocking.
  • Options
    CYA: Scherzer NL, Snell AL
    MVP: Baez NL, Betts AL
    ROY: Acuna NL, Andujar AL
    MOY: Snitker NL, Melvin AL
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    I think JD should be MVP.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah really tough call between the two. They're 1-2 no matter which way you have them. I give the advantage to a position player over a predominantly DH.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Defense is why I give it to Betts. 

If Martinez gets the triple crown though he gets it but that doesn't look like that will happen now.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Defense is why I give it to Betts. 

If Martinez gets the triple crown though he gets it but that doesn't look like that will happen now.
    He has been great at the toughest position, no doubt. 
  • Options
    Anybody see the K totals by the pitchers?

You could possibly have 3 pitchers with 300 K's!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Anybody see the K totals by the pitchers?

You could possibly have 3 pitchers with 300 K's!
    Will be tough but not impossible.  How about the Indians with 4 over 200?  No team has ever done that!
    Tyler Chatwood is gonna lead the majors in walks this year.  He's had one start since July.  Gave up more walks than hits.   Great signing, Jed & Theo!
  • Options
    I was thinking about statistics and wondering if we were ever going to see another 300 win pitcher?

Colon at age 45 has 247 (he's the active leader), but he's not going to get there.

The active leaders that I think might have a chance are Verlander (204 at age 35) and Kershaw (152 age 30), but they'd have to string together some winning seasons and stay healthy.
  • Options
    I was thinking about statistics and wondering if we were ever going to see another 300 win pitcher?

Colon at age 45 has 247 (he's the active leader), but he's not going to get there.

The active leaders that I think might have a chance are Verlander (204 at age 35) and Kershaw (152 age 30), but they'd have to string together some winning seasons and stay healthy.
    I don't think so.. even 20 wins is a GREAT season now.  Stringing together 15 of those? No way.  The game is too specialized now. 
  • Options

We will never see another 300 game winner.  The game has changed wayyyyy too much.

Verlander would need to average 20 wins a year and pitch til he's 40.  That isn't going to happen.  Not everyone is like Bartolo Colon or Jamie Moyer and pitching well in their 40's.

It's also a stat that I don't think the newer generation cares about?  Only if the old timey Baseball writers stop voting for pitchers if they don't have 300 wins in the HOF will they care.

I had a hard time with pitchers that aren't 300 game winners going into the HOF until Perdo Martinez went in.  I thought he was deserving.
  • Options
    that 300th strikeout might have cinched the Cy Young for Scherzer
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    that 300th strikeout might have cinched the Cy Young for Scherzer
    I was thinking about this stat too as I love the K.

With the increasing SO rate of batters now is 300 k's still impressive?  For Scherzer I think it is because of his era and walk are low.
  • Options
    So.

Let's talk about minor league players and getting called up.

Acuna, Torres and Andujar I never expected to see this year.

Senzel has batted 300 the last two years and not called up.

Was hoping for Maitan with the Angels but he had an off year.

Would have liked to see some of the Bluejays youngsters get called up.

Robles hasn't done jack...

Anybody else you are looking for to come out?

Oh yeah and Adell for the Halos.  I can't wait to see him!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Senzel had vertigo early in the year (he has experienced before) and then tore a tendon in a finger/out for rest of season

(Reds fan, only one on that list I watched closely.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Eloy Jimenez was shafted by the WSox.
  • Options
    So.

Let's talk about minor league players and getting called up.

Acuna, Torres and Andujar I never expected to see this year.

Senzel has batted 300 the last two years and not called up.

Was hoping for Maitan with the Angels but he had an off year.

Would have liked to see some of the Bluejays youngsters get called up.

Robles hasn't done jack...

Anybody else you are looking for to come out?

Oh yeah and Adell for the Halos.  I can't wait to see him!
    Torres would have been called up last year but he had surgery
    I miss igotid88