MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Someone saw bigfoot once too
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Pitchers batting is stupid.  End of story.

You enjoy an inferior brand of baseball, Cliff......not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Inferior baseball is watching a dipshit try to get down a bunt looking like it's the first time he held a bat.  I prefer taters.
    an AL manager could fall asleep on the bench during games and no one would notice. their job pretty much stops once they hand in a lineup card.

Good thing we watch baseball for the players then, not the managers.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

You enjoy an inferior brand of baseball, Cliff......not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Inferior baseball is watching a dipshit try to get down a bunt looking like it's the first time he held a bat.  I prefer taters.
    an AL manager could fall asleep on the bench during games and no one would notice. their job pretty much stops once they hand in a lineup card.

The over exaggeration on this page is really astounding...  In the regular season, I agree there's not a ton of in game management, but in the playoff there definitely is.  But at the end of the day, who the fuck cares?  For me, the question is whether the game is better or worse.  And pitchers hitting are shitty.  

THAT'S.

BASEBALL.

You just don't like the sport as much as us NL enthusiasts do.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

The over exaggeration on this page is really astounding...  In the regular season, I agree there's not a ton of in game management, but in the playoff there definitely is.  But at the end of the day, who the fuck cares?  For me, the question is whether the game is better or worse.  And pitchers hitting are shitty.  
    the only game management decisions in the AL playoffs is when to make a pitching change. and that decision is far easier in the AL than in the NL.  i don't think that can even be disputed.

also i prefer a game of strategy not just sitting back watching what occurs. i like poker far more than playing high card wins.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

THAT'S.

BASEBALL.

Or you could argue that we like the sport so much we like to see it played at a high level. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Barreling over defensive players in the baselines and hard slides were essentials taught since little league.

I'm one rule away from saying, "Fuck this game!" Actually, I might already be there. It's just a prolonged and difficult breakup from the love of my life.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

the only game management decisions in the AL playoffs is when to make a pitching change. and that decision is far easier in the AL than in the NL.  i don't think that can even be disputed.

also i prefer a game of strategy not just sitting back watching what occurs. i like poker far more than playing high card wins.
    Blackjack is the AL. Poker is the NL.

Blackjack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Poker
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

THAT'S.

BASEBALL.

Or you could argue that we like the sport so much we like to see it played at a high level. 

Such a high level that you have one guy who doesn't even play defense!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

THAT'S.

BASEBALL.

Such a high level that you have one guy who doesn't even play defense!
    I don't even understand the point here
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    dankind said:
    Barreling over defensive players in the baselines and hard slides were essentials taught since little league.

I'm one rule away from saying, "Fuck this game!" Actually, I might already be there. It's just a prolonged and difficult breakup from the love of my life.

+1
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

Blackjack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Poker
    bad analogy for you Cliffy.   i love playing both games but i can play blackjack in my sleep or completely wasted which i have done many times. poker needs a shit load more concentration.  Also since blackjack is not on TV and poker is, wouldn't that lead rational people to believe poker is more interesting to watch? hmmm yes yes it would...  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

bad analogy for you Cliffy.   i love playing both games but i can play blackjack in my sleep or completely wasted which i have done many times. poker needs a shit load more concentration.  Also since blackjack is not on TV and poker is, wouldn't that lead rational people to believe poker is more interesting to watch? hmmm yes yes it would...  
    Great analogy.  Point being just because you have to think about something, doesn't make it better.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

Great analogy.  Point being just because you have to think about something, doesn't make it better.
    yea i guess it is too difficult to ask a Yankess fan to have to think :smiley:   i kid i kid
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    edited October 2017
    dankind said:

You must be 60 because I played into college..and I'm 44... and if you barreled a player when I was playing, you were ejected.  The leagues I played were Hot Stove, AABC, and Connie Mack.  These were not pussy leagues.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Someone saw bigfoot once too
    That 10 minute video not good enough for ya?  Here's a 6 minute video of ONLY Madison Bumgarner home runs.  And it doesn't even include this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe7XDdLYuBc

• Options
    ^^Should we include videos of Shaq or Chris Dudley hitting a free throw too?  How is that anymore relevant?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

You must be 60 because I played into college..and I'm 44... and if you barreled a player when I was playing, you were ejected.  The leagues I played were Hot Stove, AABC, and Connie Mack.  These were not pussy leagues.  
    Nice.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Really?

I'm 39 and played until college and we could barrel into catchers all throughout high school and legion if the opportunity presented itself (it was a rare occurrence). But I even remember a friend of mine absolutely destroying a catcher in a Babe Ruth game when we were like 13 or something and everyone went crazy like it was one of the best plays ever. We still bring that up whenever we see each other. He wasn't ejected.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Really?

I'm 39 and played until college and we could barrel into catchers all throughout high school and legion if the opportunity presented itself (it was a rare occurrence). But I even remember a friend of mine absolutely destroying a catcher in a Babe Ruth game when we were like 13 or something and everyone went crazy like it was one of the best plays ever. We still bring that up whenever we see each other. He wasn't ejected.

Not in Ohio where I grew up.  It was automatic ejection.  And I coached my son until he was 15 and still "ejectable" today.  
  • Options

Could throw that speed ball by you make a look like a fool, boy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

^

Why does he say "speed ball" anyway? Did it just sound better than fast ball? That always bugged me...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Really?

I'm right in between you two age-wise. I played Babe Ruth ball in Florida. And we could make contact with anyone who was in any baseline. Runners had the right of way. That was the rule.

This didn't happen a lot because infielders knew to stay out of the baselines unless they were in a position to apply a tag. I remember a shortstop getting his clock cleaned once (wrong place, wrong time, and our team fucking hated that team) and maybe three or four collisions with catchers in games that I played over the years (none involving me). No one ever got in any sort of trouble, not even warned for these types of plays, even the one that was kind of dirty, because we were playing within the rules of the game as we were instructed and coached.

Anyway, if it makes anyone feels any better, I did get called for charging a lot when I transitioned to basketball.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Really?

I'm right in between you two age-wise. I played Babe Ruth ball in Florida. And we could make contact with anyone who was in any baseline. Runners had the right of way. That was the rule.

This didn't happen a lot because infielders knew to stay out of the baselines unless they were in a position to apply a tag. I remember a shortstop getting his clock cleaned once (wrong place, wrong time, and our team fucking hated that team) and maybe three or four collisions with catchers in games that I played over the years (none involving me). No one ever got in any sort of trouble, not even warned for these types of plays, even the one that was kind of dirty, because we were playing within the rules of the game as we were instructed and coached.

Anyway, if it makes anyone feels any better, I did get called for charging a lot when I transitioned to basketball.

I once fouled out of a rec league game in the 3rd quarter.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    ^^Should we include videos of Shaq or Chris Dudley hitting a free throw too?  How is that anymore relevant?
    Cliffy said pitchers shouldn't bat because he prefers taters. Just showing what he's been missing. 

No one prefers a free throw over a dunk.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I think High School was slide or surrender at the plate but both Babe Ruth and Legion Ball were leagues where you could get anyone in the base paths. 
    Discouraged at 2nd on DP because...well, who wants to eat the ball?
    Also, we used metal spikes in all 3 of those leagues so it was pretty safe around 2nd as most people did not want to get cleated on a slide or get stepped on while they were sliding.
    I seem to recall home plate could be a collision but not any time where anyone demo'd a catcher.
    Here in NJ it is 100% slide or surrender in ball for kids up to Juniors League.  Not sure about beyond,
    You also cannot wear metal cleats.

We had a few guys stick their cleats into the locker room door and hang them there.  (Idiots sharpened them up some - just as likely to cleat themselves as anyone else.)

SuperTodd is my favorite Yankee.  Ex-Reds all over the place in the playoffs but the Toddfather was always such a spark plug and a wild man.  He was super awesome to the 12 year old 2 different times while with the Reds and we were down by the field getting the boy autographs.  He was among the nicest players I have ever seen interacting with the young fans. 
    Rock on, Todd, I hope you hit another one out tonight.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    todd frazier is a wild man? :tired_face: who knew?

NL baseball by far > AL stupid DH baseball.

Case closed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    todd frazier is a wild man? :tired_face: who knew?

NL baseball by far > AL stupid DH baseball.

Case closed.
    Compelling case,  as always...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    AND ONE MORE THING, CLIFFY......pretty sure bumgarner could be out performing your DHs in this ALCS.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16