MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    About midnight and we're in...the 7th? The fuck....
    Stupid American League games...
    I just think about how many kids in this country are just not able to watch post season baseball anymore....or at least stay up past 5th inning or so. Gotta start these games earlier and speed them up. 
    Just busting balls that it wasn't an AL game that went long.  I completely agree.  The Yanks game that started at 7 the other day was glorious, though their 5pm start went about 6 hours.  I do think it's insane what time games in general start.  Prime time football too.  Shit, the college championships start at 9
    No way around it when so many markets are 3 hours behind.  Look at LA?  You want to watch a game there that starts at 8:00 EST?  You are going to miss the start and you are watching from a bar since it takes 2 hours to get home from work.  Then you are all liquored up on the drive home. 
    I don't miss that.
    NHL starts kill me though
    Fuck LA. Leave work early. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Fuck the East coast. Stay up later.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I just think about how many kids in this country are just not able to watch post season baseball anymore....or at least stay up past 5th inning or so. Gotta start these games earlier and speed them up. 
    Just busting balls that it wasn't an AL game that went long.  I completely agree.  The Yanks game that started at 7 the other day was glorious, though their 5pm start went about 6 hours.  I do think it's insane what time games in general start.  Prime time football too.  Shit, the college championships start at 9
    No way around it when so many markets are 3 hours behind.  Look at LA?  You want to watch a game there that starts at 8:00 EST?  You are going to miss the start and you are watching from a bar since it takes 2 hours to get home from work.  Then you are all liquored up on the drive home. 
    I don't miss that.
    norm said:
    Fuck the East coast. Stay up later.

fuck the NL, this year.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I don't miss that.
    Well, almost half the population lives in the Eastern time zone. Plus, almost 30% live in the Central time zone.

HEY!>How about a starting pitcher(Verlander) actually throwing 9 innings. I know some of you kids have never seen that before, but believe it or not it's actually been done before.
    Such a stupid fucking rule
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Yep. Ticky tack bullshit rule, just like hard slides to break up double plays 
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    pjhawks said:
    replay was not intended to make a call when a guy's foot comes off the bag like an inch or two.  i hate that part of replay.
    Wieters had maybe the worst game of any catcher in a playoff game ever.  man he was awful.
    I liked the Cubs last year but now they are starting to get annoying.
    Go Astros and Dodgers.
    Go Dodgers 
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The Buster Posey Rule helped the Dodgers score against the Cubs... and Rob just figured out division by zero.
    The Buster Posey Rule helped the Dodgers score against the Cubs... and Rob just figured out division by zero.
    A rule is a rule. 
    A rule is a rule. 
    That it is, Edward.  That it is.  

It's about as good of a rule as the tuck rule. 
    You missed the joke, Ern!
    We didn’t need that run anyway, lol. 
    You missed the joke, Ern!
    We didn’t need that run anyway, lol. 
    Probably won’t need it for tomorrow’s game either!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Yes it is. I get if the catcher doesn't have the ball & tries to block the plate. But,  when the Ball is coming in at the same time as the runner(like the play tonight) the catcher should have the right to go catch the ball & tag the runner. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    The rules fine. The call was fine. Contreras did what he had to do, but the runners easily safe if he’s not blocking the plate.
    DewieCox said:
    The rules fine. The call was fine. Contreras did what he had to do, but the runners easily safe if he’s not blocking the plate.
    Yeah, he's safe if he doesn't block the plate, but blocking the plate was part of the game for over a century and was always considered a good/clean baseball play.  I hate this rule. It really is turning the game into a sissy game. It's a shame what happened to Buster Posey, but those outcomes are the extreme exception and not the norm.  Let them play baseball.  They're grown men. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Joe maddon is such a tool
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    The Posey Rule sucks.
    The Utley Rule sucks.
    Let the boys play.
    If you get hurt, rub some dirt in it.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    norm said:
    The Posey Rule sucks.
    The Utley Rule sucks.
    Let the boys play.
    If you get hurt, rub some dirt in it.
    Chicks dig scars
    edited October 2017
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:
    Yeah, he's safe if he doesn't block the plate, but blocking the plate was part of the game for over a century and was always considered a good/clean baseball play.  I hate this rule. It really is turning the game into a sissy game. It's a shame what happened to Buster Posey, but those outcomes are the extreme exception and not the norm.  Let them play baseball.  They're grown men. 

Really? As if it was so much more manly and physical before.

It makes more sense to have it the way it is now. If the throw carries the catcher into the path it’s legal, otherwise keep them from scoring the run by playing the game. Fielders can’t block the path to any other base.

If it helps keep the best catcher available day after day, then  why not. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    6 more wins! 
    6 more wins! 
    Just put us out of our misery! I’m pretty sure I could strike out the Cubs lineup right now.
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

It makes more sense to have it the way it is now. If the throw carries the catcher into the path it’s legal, otherwise keep them from scoring the run by playing the game. Fielders can’t block the path to any other base.

Home plate is not the same as any other base. The rule flies in the face of the way the game has been played for 170 some years. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    You’re right, but it’s ultimately no different than an infielder hindering a runner between the other bases. 

Allowing the catcher to come up the line to field the throw is a fair concession. 

The game hasn’t been played that way for 170 years.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    norm said:
    The Posey Rule sucks.

the name is cool, tho.

go AL!!!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

Home plate is not the same as any other base. The rule flies in the face of the way the game has been played for 170 some years. 
    Who cares how it was played for 100 years?  The game is best when the best players play it.  It's precisely why I don't want pitchers hitting and running bases.  They suck at it and it kills the flow of a game.  Well, injured players and AAA level players calling balls and strikes sucks too.  So protect the players.  Protect the game.
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

Who cares how it was played for 100 years?  The game is best when the best players play it.  It's precisely why I don't want pitchers hitting and running bases.  They suck at it and it kills the flow of a game.  Well, injured players and AAA level players calling balls and strikes sucks too.  So protect the players.  Protect the game.

I CARE! I CARE!

You like the designated hitter so your opinion does not matter much anyway.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Let’s go Astros!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

Baseball, like any other sport, needs to be adjusted over time to make it the most interesting game possible. DH makes the game more interesting.  Having the best players healthy makes the game more interesting.  I can't help it if you hate good things.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

Baseball, like any other sport, needs to be adjusted over time to make it the most interesting game possible. DH makes the game more interesting.  Having the best players healthy makes the game more interesting.  I can't help it if you hate good things.  
    No, what makes baseball unique to every other sport is that it does not need to be adjusted to make the game more interesting. American League baseball is bastardized baseball for people who just like seeing more and more offense with as little strategy as possible. It's a notch or two above beer league softball. 

All hail the National League, baseball the way it was meant to be played (minus the stupid Posey rule....and replays....and interleague.....god damn it)
    chinese-happy.jpg