MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Soriano has always been jacked, not that jacked, but he has been sneaky strong.  He swung one of the heaviest bats in the league
    I went to the Cubs series in Minnesota, 2012 I think.  He hit 2 HR in the first game of the series and both were just absolute bombs.  The first was to dead center and the second didn't miss the scoreboard above the LF grandstands by much. 875 ft of dinger that day!  That first one was his 350th career.
    That's sweet.  Dude could crush them.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The Rangers getting a new ballpark is insane.  What they currently play in is one of my favorite to watch on TV.  I don't know what the experience is in person or why the hell they would need one, but it looks great on TV.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/09/21/the-rangers-release-artists-renderings-of-their-new-ballpark/

Air conditioning... 

So taxpayers get a bill because they didn't realize it's hot in Teaxs 20 years ago?
    Not arguing that.  Is this a taxpayer initiative, not private?
    I am sure it is.  Billionaires don't pay for stadiums in 2017.
    Anyone who thinks any stadium is privately financed is incredibly naive.
    edited September 2017
    The only place I'm going to sit behind a net is behind the plate.

For years there haven't been screens.  Go to the game.  Pay attention.  Mind your kids.  Get off my lawn...
    This was the best part of the dumb Twitter comments I saw in response to Passan's post - so because we live in a day where we have the technology to shut down dumb arguments up over whether someone is his safe or out, we can't also mitigate the change of just one person getting crushed in the face? They also don't wear wool uniforms anymore and minorities can also play the game now. Crazy how things change...

Get off my lawn, I get it, I get it...but if that was your kid I'd like to lay down money you'd be singing a different tune.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The Rangers getting a new ballpark is insane.  What they currently play in is one of my favorite to watch on TV.  I don't know what the experience is in person or why the hell they would need one, but it looks great on TV.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/09/21/the-rangers-release-artists-renderings-of-their-new-ballpark/

Air conditioning... 

So taxpayers get a bill because they didn't realize it's hot in Teaxs 20 years ago?
    That's a bold statement, condescending and factually incorrect.  Private financing through high end sales of luxury sweets and boxes are not unheard of today.  Levi stadium is a good example where they created separate trusts to shield public coffers from stadium costs.  The niners were responsible for cost overruns.  Santa Clara responsible for some construction, but it was in the form of loans that the stadium was responsible for through naming rights and other post construction revenue vehicles.  Because it's a separate trust, if the stadium financially collapses, then the trust files for bankruptcy protection and Santa Clara taxpayers can't be held liable.  

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

About Yankees Stadium in 09

"Seth W. Pinsky, president of the city’s Economic Development Corporation, said the Yankees had agreed to pay $2 billion if they leave during the term of their lease of at least 40 years, and to pay $30 million over those years to defray the city’s costs."
    And the answer is that the Rangers stadium will be paid 50% via tax increases in hotel, rental car and sales tax along with a bond sale.  Evidently it was approved through some election recently.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

That's a bold statement, condescending and factually incorrect.  Private financing through high end sales of luxury sweets and boxes are not unheard of today.  Levi stadium is a good example where they created separate trusts to shield public coffers from stadium costs.  The niners were responsible for cost overruns.  Santa Clara responsible for some construction, but it was in the form of loans that the stadium was responsible for through naming rights and other post construction revenue vehicles.  Because it's a separate trust, if the stadium financially collapses, then the trust files for bankruptcy protection and Santa Clara taxpayers can't be held liable.  

How often to construction loans from the gov't get paid back?  Sounds all good and well, but the majority of those never come close to getting paid back.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

How often to construction loans from the gov't get paid back?  Sounds all good and well, but the majority of those never come close to getting paid back.
    It's a separate trust.  The trust likely can file bankruptcy.  They will have a lien position on the property.  If it was structured the way it is represented, there would be no taxpayer liability.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

About Yankees Stadium in 09

"Seth W. Pinsky, president of the city’s Economic Development Corporation, said the Yankees had agreed to pay $2 billion if they leave during the term of their lease of at least 40 years, and to pay $30 million over those years to defray the city’s costs."
    Lol, so the Yankees can't leave the Bronx or they gotta pay for their stadium.  Quite the incentive to stay in a place they are never in a million years going to leave...
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

It's a separate trust.  The trust likely can file bankruptcy.  They will have a lien position on the property.  If it was structured the way it is represented, there would be no taxpayer liability.  
    I am not a real estate lawyer, but what is the city gonna do, evict the niners if they don't pay?

The Eagles owe the city of Philadelphia a measly $8 million that they have been ordered to pay and still haven't.
    edited September 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

That stadium was 20% financed by the 9ers and NFL, while the city and "Stadium Authority" financed 80% of it - to be privately financed it should be coming out of the team and league's pocket. But of course they don't. That money always comes externally.

Good thing they're into their 2nd year (3rd year?), and it's already empty.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

I am not a real estate lawyer, but what is the city gonna do, evict the niners if they don't pay?

The Eagles owe the city of Philadelphia a measly $8 million that they have been ordered to pay and still haven't.
    I don't know the structure of that, but is it still being litigated?  Are you sure it wasn't settled?  Basically you are saying there is no rule of law or litigation solution and that the Niners can just blow off the construction debt.  I'm frankly not so sure about that.  But again, if they don't pay and there are no assets to lien or funds to garn (which there are right now of course), then the trust files bankruptcy.  That's why the city set it up completely separate so the city doesn't bear the liability.  You just file the appropriate chapter.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    And the answer is that the Rangers stadium will be paid 50% via tax increases in hotel, rental car and sales tax along with a bond sale.  Evidently it was approved through some election recently.  
    That's how they are paying for the Cowboys stadium too!

Taken from Wiki:

Originally estimated to cost $650 million, the stadium's current construction cost was $1.15 billion,[21] making it one of the most expensive sports venues ever built. To aid Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones in paying the construction costs of the new stadium, Arlington voters approved the increase of the city's sales tax by 0.5%, the hotel occupancy tax by 2%, and car rental tax by 5%. The City of Arlington provided over $325 million (including interest) in bonds as funding,[21][22] and Jones covered any cost overruns. Also, the NFL provided the Cowboys with an additional $150 million loan, following its policy for facilitating financing for the construction of new stadiums.[
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Air conditioning... 

That stadium was 20% financed by the 9ers and NFL, while the city and "Stadium Authority" financed 80% of it - to be privately financed it should be coming out of the team and league's pocket. But of course they don't. That money always comes externally.

Good thing they're into their 2nd year (3rd year?), and it's already empty.
    Jerry Jones agreed to pay cost overruns too.
    That's exactly what he's saying - team's will blow off any obligation they have, or at least drag it into the mud.

Man, this guy's really into this 9ers deal. I'm glad one stadium that sorta, kinda, maybe, doesn't put the public on the hook is the rule and not the exception.
    Yeah I saw that.  But Arlington is going to refinance all of that debt and roll it into the Rangers since the rates are so much lower today then when the facility was built.  According to the article, the city is well ahead of its payment schedule since the Cowboys stadium had been so successful drawing in events other than just the 8 Cowboys games.  
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    HBO Real Sports did a story a year or so ago about batted balls in the stands. they did a test where they had people sitting behind plexiglass and even when they told the people when the ball was coming none had reaction times fast enough to avoid the ball.  it's amazing more people don't get hurt and that someone hasn't been killed.
    pjhawks said:
    HBO Real Sports did a story a year or so ago about batted balls in the stands. they did a test where they had people sitting behind plexiglass and even when they told the people when the ball was coming none had reaction times fast enough to avoid the ball.  it's amazing more people don't get hurt and that someone hasn't been killed.
    And the new wood used in bats splinters different than bats used to break.  Someone will die at some point if the nets aren't put up.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Both get the foot down early
    pjhawks said:
    Yep, my wife asked me how you move even if you are paying attention.  I told her you can cover your face or turn away but there is no getting away unless you just happen to move precisely the right way. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Both get the foot down early
    pjhawks said:
    Yep, my wife asked me how you move even if you are paying attention.  I told her you can cover your face or turn away but there is no getting away unless you just happen to move precisely the right way. 
    Catch it?!? Isn't that an option?
    pjhawks said:
    You can't be serious? 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

I saw a game ther once and i really liked the Stadium. I liked it more then  Camden Yards. I don't understand why they need a new stadium, either.
    pjhawks said:
    You can't be serious? 
    I'm dead serious.  If a ball comes my way I'm trying to catch it not move out of the way.  I've barehanded screamers before.
    edited September 2017
    pjhawks said:
    You can't be serious? 
    I'm dead serious.  If a ball comes my way I'm trying to catch it not move out of the way.  I've barehanded screamers before.
    Man, are you tough.  Here's the thing though, toddlers and women may not be as tough as you when it comes to 'screamers' at their head.  I'd rather impede on your toughness and have someone not die.

I didn't know grown ass men felt so strongly about catching baseballs and nets.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yeah, I will catch pop ups but I'm not trying to catch a line drive w/o a glove.  Seems like a very easy way to break your hand. 

This is a very Wobbie / get off my lawn type of conversation.  :)

Put the nets up and be done with it.  I love going to hockey and it hasn't ruined that sport & the viewing pleasure.
    It has protected against another 13 year old girl dying at a game, however.
    pjhawks said:
    You can't be serious? 
    Man, are you tough.  Here's the thing though, toddlers and women may not be as tough as you when it comes to 'screamers' at their head.  I'd rather impede on your toughness and have someone not die.

Yeah, I will catch pop ups but I'm not trying to catch a line drive w/o a glove.  Seems like a very easy way to break your hand. 

Put the nets up and be done with it.  I love going to hockey and it hasn't ruined that sport & the viewing pleasure.
    I see both of your points and I get it.  Evolution of the game.  Put up the nets.  I'll sit in the outfield now, lol.  More HR's are being hit anyway.
    pjhawks said:
    You can't be serious? 

I see both of your points and I get it.  Evolution of the game.  Put up the nets.  I'll sit in the outfield now, lol.  More HR's are being hit anyway.
    I was going to say to sit in the outfield and catch home runs.  They're more fun that foul balls anyway.
    You must have hands of steel!
    Or...as I used to refer to Maurice Carthon, 'Stone Hands'
    ;)

• You must have hands of steel!
    Or...as I used to refer to Maurice Carthon, 'Stone Hands'
    ;)

Trick is squeezing your hand tight just before you catch it.  I have no idea why it works but it does...
    pjhawks said:
    You can't be serious? 

I was going to say to sit in the outfield and catch home runs.  They're more fun that foul balls anyway.
    No, I get it.  Same could be said as to "why do you have a kid in possible harms way" in the lower infield seats?

But I'll give and say again, put up the nets.