Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    mrussel1 said:
    I give MLB a big fat F for the uniforms.  As usual Florida Marlins have the ugliest damn ones...
    Such a stupid idea
    I went to the Indians/Royals games Sat and Sun for this weekend.  Saturday night was a jersey giveaway and fireworks.  Sunday was kids day.  I can tell you the kids around us loved the uniforms and had a blast.  I think you guys are either being too cynical or forgetting that kids are a pretty important demographic for MLB...or both.  
    You could give away a colored balloon at a game for free and the kids will love it.

The Marlins made their uniforms more colorful so the kids will love it.  I'm not so sure that worked...

Top 20 jersey sales:
    1. Kris Bryant, Cubs
    2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
    3. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
    4. Javier Baez, Cubs
    5. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs
    6. Noah Syndergaard, Mets
    7. Corey Seager, Dodgers
    8. Buster Posey, Giants
    9. Gary Sanchez, Yankees
    10. Mike Trout, Angels
    11. Yadier Molina, Cardinals
    12. Madison Bumgarner, Giants
    13. Yoenis Cespedes, Mets
    14. Mookie Betts, Red Sox
    15. Bryce Harper, Nationals
    16. Francisco Lindor, Indians
    17. Freddie Freeman, Braves
    18. Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox
    19. Jose Altuve, Astros
    20. Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays

Where is Stanton?  I'm actually surprised that he isn't on there.  This was in June though...

A ranking of Jerseys:
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/best-uniforms-in-mlb-ranking-every-teams-2017-look-from-1-to-30/
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mrussel1 said:
    Whoever mentioned that the "swing for the fences" mentality is the main driver behind the rise in strikeouts, is probably right.  You never see anyone choke up, hit for contact...in fact, announcers rave when someone is actually able to hit the ball the other way.  Baseball could lower the hill, shrink the strike zone, and do other tweaks to deal with that issue, but that would be stupid.  It's an approach issue.  
    Agreed.  Anthony Rizzo always chokes up with 2 strikes.  He's a rare case, though.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    mrussel1 said:
    I give MLB a big fat F for the uniforms.  As usual Florida Marlins have the ugliest damn ones...
    Such a stupid idea
    I went to the Indians/Royals games Sat and Sun for this weekend.  Saturday night was a jersey giveaway and fireworks.  Sunday was kids day.  I can tell you the kids around us loved the uniforms and had a blast.  I think you guys are either being too cynical or forgetting that kids are a pretty important demographic for MLB...or both.  
    You could give away a colored balloon at a game for free and the kids will love it.

The Marlins made their uniforms more colorful so the kids will love it.  I'm not so sure that worked...

Top 20 jersey sales:
    1. Kris Bryant, Cubs
    2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
    4. Javier Baez, Cubs
    5. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs
    7. Corey Seager, Dodgers
    8. Buster Posey, Giants
    9. Gary Sanchez, Yankees
    10. Mike Trout, Angels
    19. Jose Altuve, Astros

Where is Stanton?  I'm actually surprised that he isn't on there.  This was in June though...

A ranking of Jerseys:
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/best-uniforms-in-mlb-ranking-every-teams-2017-look-from-1-to-30/

Where is Hoskins?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    mrussel1 said:
    Such a stupid idea

Top 20 jersey sales:
    1. Kris Bryant, Cubs
    2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
    4. Javier Baez, Cubs
    5. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs
    7. Corey Seager, Dodgers
    8. Buster Posey, Giants
    9. Gary Sanchez, Yankees
    10. Mike Trout, Angels
    19. Jose Altuve, Astros

A ranking of Jerseys:

Where is Hoskins?
    It's old because Judge was #1 for a while.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    To clarify my stance---yeah, I like home runs. Sure, they are fun.......but, to me, a 1-0 gem of a pitchers duel that takes just under 3 hours is more interesting and fun than a 4 hour plus 10-7 slugfest.
    back in the day, those things sometimes wrapped up in under TWO hours. three hour baseball games were rare in the 1960s.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    To clarify my stance---yeah, I like home runs. Sure, they are fun.......but, to me, a 1-0 gem of a pitchers duel that takes just under 3 hours is more interesting and fun than a 4 hour plus 10-7 slugfest.
    back in the day, those things sometimes wrapped up in under TWO hours. three hour baseball games were rare in the 1960s.
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out how old Rob is.

Thank you. Thank you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Thank you. Thank you.

I heard about those games from my dad.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421

No, i didn't know Connie Mack real name. I would've had to Google it.
  • Options
    Wob, your backup team just got Verlander.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    Raise the mound? The batters are  on pace to set the all time MLB strikeout record for a season, for what? 3rd or 4th year in-a-row?  Today's players don't care about striking out. HR's gets the big contract.  It drives me nuts the amount of strikeouts in today's game. 

I'd love to see some pitching duels too, but , for the most part, those days are over. TV doesn't help with that, though. I remember seeing Steve Carlton pitch in 1972 and we would be home in 3 hours from his first pitch of the game. And, we didn't live across  the street from the stadium either.
    Yes raise the mound.  The era of Pitchers will drop like a rock.

2 things that boggle my mind the year before they lowered it, ready?

Carl Yazstremski led the league with a .301 average.  .301...

Bob Gibson led the league with a 1.12 ERA.  He pitched a full year and not a partial.  There wasn't a strike shortened season.

Let those two things sink in.
    I did  know  about those stats.

They could lower the mound( i'd  like to see it for a couple of seasons to see how it goes), but i doubt the MLBPA would go for it. I'm sure the pitchers would love to see it raised, though.

Check out these stats for these pitchers. They make Bob Gibson & Sandy Koufax stats look ordinary>HAHA>Maybe you've already seen these stats?

Al Spalding: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/spaldal01.shtml

Old Hoss Radbourn: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/radboch01.shtml  (check out that 1884 season> 73 starts & 73 complete games. I always laugh my ass off every time i look at some the old time players stats)
    Baseball in it's infancy has some CRAZY numbers. Spitballs and cheating were rampant.  I loved reading the stories of John McGraw rounding the bases from first to third and bypassing 2nd altogether when the ump wasn't looking.  Spalding was a hell of a player too and good pioneer of the game early on.  Glad to see someone else that appreciates the game like that.

Cy Young has more losses than people have wins.  That's just nuts.

The above stats with from 68 are fairly modern and still hold weight.  But you are right when you say that the MLBPA won't allow it.  The inflated numbers are good for attendance and good for a players salary.  But one can dream...
    Yup, 1968. Yaz won the batting title with that .301 AVG. which is the lowest ever for batting Champion. I remember one of my HS teachers use to give me & my friends some baseball trivia questions and he asked :who won the batting title with the lowest avg. ever? , and he barely got the question out when i gave him the answer. My Dad use to give me stats like that when i was a kid. He actually took me to Connie Mack Stadium in Philly a couple of times, though i only have a vague memory of it. 

I also couldn't help but notice something about Al Spalding . He only pitched 7 years and only 11 innings in year 7 at age 26. I think his career was over because his arm probably came off after throwing almost 2,900 innings.
    With out googling it, do you know Connie Macks real name?

I'm a huge old time baseball buff so I have fun with these things.
    I know his real surname was McGillicuddy (sp?), not sure of his first name.
    Bonus question:

What is HOF'er Al Simmons' real name?
    Al Simmons anyone?  Know his real name?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Thank you. Thank you.

I remember my dad taking me to games at Ebbets Field when I was in my 20's
    Jesus. You're older than I thought.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,290
    The Marlins were on such a roll. Now their bats are cold. Had the bases loaded a few times this week and couldn't buy a hit. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

that's good, but I'm kinda afraid they've lost their early season mojo.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Whey they had mojo they were referred to as "we." After losing mojo they are "they."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Whey they had mojo they were referred to as "we." After losing mojo they are "they."
    freudian slip.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    stanton has ELEVEN intentional walks this year.

bonds had ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY in 2004. I'm calling bullshit if stanton gets "the real record."

fucking bullshit.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    the SI Cover Jinx is real! :smiley:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

bonds had ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY in 2004. I'm calling bullshit if stanton gets "the real record."

fucking bullshit.
    Fuck Bonds
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    Wobbie said:

fucking bullshit.
    That would be the dumbest asterisk of all time.  
  • Options

Headline news...  Boston cheats.  Who knew?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I've never considered this cheating.  Hide the damn signs better or maybe add 2 to what number you throw up?  Too hard a concept?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I've never considered this cheating.  Hide the damn signs better or maybe add 2 to what number you throw up?  Too hard a concept?
    Using technology is explicitly against the rules, if I'm not mistaken.  Stealing signs the old fashion way (picking them from 2nd base or watching the 3rd base coach) is not against the rules.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Using technology is explicitly against the rules, if I'm not mistaken.  Stealing signs the old fashion way (picking them from 2nd base or watching the 3rd base coach) is not against the rules.  
    They used an Apple Watch.  Isn't there a delay in the signal?

I'll be curious to how this pans out...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

What they were doing is having someone in the box decrypting the signals, texting it to the bench coaches, who would relay the signs being used to the runners on based.  Then the runners on base now know the signals, and can send a message to the batter.  That's my understanding.  The Yankees were super suspicious about how high of a BA the Sox have had with runners on base.  That's straight up cheating in my book.  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

What they were doing is having someone in the box decrypting the signals, texting it to the bench coaches, who would relay the signs being used to the runners on based.  Then the runners on base now know the signals, and can send a message to the batter.  That's my understanding.  The Yankees were super suspicious about how high of a BA the Sox have had with runners on base.  That's straight up cheating in my book.  
    I agree.  They should be contracted.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That makes more sense now because when a man was on 2nd they hit for a better average.  

If what you say indeed happened then I agree it is cheating.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That makes more sense now because when a man was on 2nd they hit for a better average.  

If what you say indeed happened then I agree it is cheating.
    Most specifically egregious, to me, is that the initial spotter reading the signs isn't even in uniform.  In other words, it's not a player or coach, rather a front office type person.  That's a bridge too far.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Let's not get crazy.  Just suspend them for the playoffs (while awarding them to the division) and advance the Tribe directly to the ALCS.  Problem solved. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Let's not get crazy.  Just suspend them for the playoffs (while awarding them to the division) and advance the Tribe directly to the ALCS.  Problem solved. 
    I'm good with that.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    mrussel1 said:

shocking a team from Boston would use electronics to cheat :dizzy: .  i wonder if Red Sox fans will use the same sorry 'everybody does it' excuse they used for the Pats.