Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I unearthed this little gem too

In 2001, following his retirement, the New York Daily News' columnist Bill Madden wrote:

"Sorry, there'll be no words of sympathy here for Albert Belle. He was a surly jerk before he got hurt and now he's a hurt surly jerk....He was no credit to the game. Belle's boorish behavior should be remembered by every member of the Baseball Writers' Associationwhen it comes time to consider him for the Hall of Fame."
    In what should have been the glory years of me being a Cleveland fan, he all but ruined those teams for me.  Roided out jerk face shit head.  I just could not root for an asshole of those depths
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422

In 2001, following his retirement, the New York Daily News' columnist Bill Madden wrote:

"Sorry, there'll be no words of sympathy here for Albert Belle. He was a surly jerk before he got hurt and now he's a hurt surly jerk....He was no credit to the game. Belle's boorish behavior should be remembered by every member of the Baseball Writers' Associationwhen it comes time to consider him for the Hall of Fame."
    And that's why he's not in the HOF(which is BS), because based on  his numbers he's a HOFer. Steve Carlton & Jim Rice weren't all warm & fuzzy with reporters. 
  • Options
    How is JD Martinez not an MVP finalist?
    Baseball writers should be a shamed of themselves.
  • Options
    5 possible landing spots for Manny Machado

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1642132

• Options
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1646321

Report: D-Backs willing to listen to offers for Goldschmidt, Greinke
    3h ago
    Ralph Freso / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    PHOENIX AZ - SEPTEMBER 09 Paul Goldschmidt 44 of the Arizona Diamondbacks looks on during a pitching change during the ninth inning of an MLB game against the Atlanta Braves at Chase Field on September 9 2018 in Phoenix Arizona

The Arizona Diamondbacks are willing to listen to trade offers for anyone on their team, including their two biggest stars in first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and right-hander Zack Greinke, reports Fancred Sports' Jon Heyman.

One rival executive suggested to Heyman a trade for Goldschmidt was still remote, while another said he thought the Diamondbacks would have to pay a significant portion of Greinke's salary to trade him.

Arizona's signings of Greinke and outfielder Yasmany Tomas (six years, $68.5 million), who was arrested in January for speeding and spent all of 2018 in the minor leagues, continue to hamstring the organization financially, according to The Athletic's Jeff Wiser, who adds the Diamondbacks are caught between playing in a tough division and payroll constraints.

The 31-year-old Goldschmidt has been one of the National League's best players since 2013, appearing in six straight All-Star games and finishing third or higher in MVP voting on three occasions.

He's eligible for free agency at the end of 2019 and will earn $14.5 million next season, so a trade while his value is still high could net the Diamondbacks a nice return.

Greinke, 35, has three years and $104.5 million remaining on the six-year contract he signed with Arizona prior to the 2016 season.

Since signing with the Diamondbacks, the veteran starter owns a 45-25 record with a 3.53 ERA and 1.13 WHIP. However, as Wiser points out, the deal weighs heavily on the team's payroll and they'd almost surely like to get out from under the contract if they can.

• Options
    cutz said:

And that's why he's not in the HOF(which is BS), because based on  his numbers he's a HOFer. Steve Carlton & Jim Rice weren't all warm & fuzzy with reporters. 
    He doesn't have the numbers to be IN the HOF.

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.
    SB?  88, nope.  Vince Coleman had more his rookie year...

What stats does he have that places him in the HOF?  It really is becoming the Hall pf Good with thinking like this.

For a batter you need to have 3000 or 500 as numbers.  If not you'd better have a whole bunch of RBI's and Runs...  All of which Mr.Belle did not.
  • Options
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1646362

Report: Mariners considering teardown
    Bryan Mcwilliam
    23m ago
    Stephen Brashear / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    SEATTLE, WA - MAY 3: Seattle Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto (R) talks with manager Scott Servais before a game between the Oakland Athletics and the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on May 3, 2018 in Seattle, Washington. The Mariners won the game 4-1.
    The Seattle Mariners are considering a complete teardown this winter, league sources told Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

Seattle told other teams virtually no Mariners players would be untouchable in a robust trade market, Passan reported Tuesday. If that market materializes, he added, the team is willing to take a multi-year approach to a rebuild.

"They're going to blow it up," a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

Complicating matters are the potential returns the Mariners would receive for some of their best players.

Shortstop Jean Segura's no-trade clause would need to be reworked for a deal to occur. Seattle would also expect massive returns for outfielder Mitch Haniger and pitchers James Paxton and Edwin Diaz, Passan notes.

It appears the Mariners intend to keep Haniger, Diaz, and pitcher Marco Gonzales, reports Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports, who hears "everyone else is up for grabs."

Seattle is already in discussions with the Tampa Bay Rays regarding catcher Mike Zunino, sources told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

Seattle placed third in the American League West in 2018, despite finishing 16 games over .500. The Mariners haven't qualified for the postseason since 2001.

The club has close to $132 million committed to payroll (before arbitration) for 2019.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1645917

I say yes to this. Never made sense that you can trade for a player with less then 30 games left of a 162 game schedule. And while ther at it, they can get rid of the Roster expansion in September too. 

Report: MLB expected to discuss move to uniform mid-August trade deadline
    2h ago
    Jason Miller / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CLEVELAND OH - SEPTEMBER 1 Josh Donaldson 27 of the Cleveland Indians joins Carlos Carrasco 59 on the bench and waves to the Tampa Bay Rays bench during the fifth inning at Progressive Field on September 1 2018 in Cleveland Ohio Donaldson is the Indians latest trade coming from the Toronto Blue Jays

Major League Baseball could be eyeing a significant change to its midsummer-transaction landscape.

At this week's general manager meetings, officials from the commissioner's office and executives from teams are expected to discuss the elimination of trade waivers in favor of a uniform trade deadline, which could land in mid-August, according to Jon Paul Morosi of MLB.com.

The current non-waiver trade deadline is July 31 at 4 p.m. ET. Afterward, players need to pass through waivers to be traded, and must be acquired by the end of Aug. 31 to be eligible for postseason rosters.

While the league is apparently weighing interest in a uniform deadline, any changes would require the approval of the MLB Players Association.

The GM meetings open Tuesday and are scheduled to conclude Thursday in Carlsbad, Calif.

• Options
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

What stats does he have that places him in the HOF?  It really is becoming the Hall pf Good with thinking like this.

For a batter you need to have 3000 or 500 as numbers.  If not you'd better have a whole bunch of RBI's and Runs...  All of which Mr.Belle did not.
    So, Craig Biggio was better then Albert Belle? I loved Biggio, but he was a compiler. He's a prime example of when  3,000 hits in a career doesn't belong in then HOF. Biggio is a prime example of someone who belongs in the Hall Of Very Good. Albert Belle only played 12 years(which hurt his chances at compiling more stats), but in 10 of those years he was a dominant player. In his last season he had 23 HR's & 103 RBI's. Ask John Hart who was the most feared hitter on those Tribe teams and he'll tell you it was Albert Belle, and that's when the Tribe had Jim Thome, Manny Ramierez, etc.

Belle's Stats (He averaged, for his  career, based on a 162 games  .295   40 HR   130 RBI's) >Probably  a few players in the HOF who do NOT have those averages?

G   PA   AB   R    H         2B 3B   HR   RBI    SB   CS     BB       SO     AVG.     OBP       SLG   OPS   OPS+   TB        
    162 Game Avg. 162 703 616 103 182       41  2    40   130       9    4        72      101     .295       .369      .564 .    933     144     347 

Check out his stats and notice he has a lot of Bold print:    https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/belleal01.shtml

Trust me i'm no Albert Belle , or a Tribe fan, but he's a HOFer for me.   
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    edited November 2018
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

So, Craig Biggio was better then Albert Belle? I loved Biggio, but he was a compiler. He's a prime example of when  3,000 hits in a career doesn't belong in then HOF. Biggio is a prime example of someone who belongs in the Hall Of Very Good. Albert Belle only played 12 years(which hurt his chances at compiling more stats), but in 10 of those years he was a dominant player. In his last season he had 23 HR's & 103 RBI's. Ask John Hart who was the most feared hitter on those Tribe teams and he'll tell you it was Albert Belle, and that's when the Tribe had Jim Thome, Manny Ramierez, etc.

Belle's Stats (He averaged, for his  career, based on a 162 games  .295   40 HR   130 RBI's) >Probably  a few players in the HOF who do NOT have those averages?

G   PA   AB   R    H         2B 3B   HR   RBI    SB   CS     BB       SO     AVG.     OBP       SLG   OPS   OPS+   TB        
    162 Game Avg. 162 703 616 103 182       41  2    40   130       9    4        72      101     .295       .369      .564 .    933     144     347 

Check out his stats and notice he has a lot of Bold print:    https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/belleal01.shtml

Biggio is a perfect example, thank you.

Biggio has the Modern Major League Record for HBP just 2 shy of the record.

Had 3000 hits.

Had 400+ SB's, 600 plus dbls, is 15th all time in runs.  The other 14 above him are or will be in the HOF and the other 14 below him are or will be in the HOF.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Belle's career was cut short but does not belong in, sorry...  Longevity maters in Baseball unless you're Sandy Koufax.
  • Options
    Again, the only one on that list that should be considered is Lee Smith.

• Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

Had 400+ SB's, 600 plus dbls, is 15th all time in runs.  The other 14 above him are or will be in the HOF and the other 14 below him are or will be in the HOF.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Belle's career was cut short but does not belong in, sorry...  Longevity maters in Baseball unless you're Sandy Koufax.
    Yes, Biggio is a good example ...of a compiler. How many Stats did he lead during a season? HBP? Okay, i guess. He lead in Runs a couple of years, 2B's 3 years , & SB one year. No other stats of signifcance.  Biggio's high in RBI's is 88(he averaged 67RBI/season). He wasn't a dominant player.

I gave you Belles stats, and yes his career was only 12 years, but he was dominant for 10 of those years. That equals a HOFer to me.
  • Options
    Again, the only one on that list that should be considered is Lee Smith.

I'm lukewarm on Lee Smith.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    I thought the same thing. I thought Bregman had a chance to get in the final 3 as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mfc2006 said:
    I thought the same thing. I thought Bregman had a chance to get in the final 3 as well.
    DH snub, maybe. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Yes, Biggio is a good example ...of a compiler. How many Stats did he lead during a season? HBP? Okay, i guess. He lead in Runs a couple of years, 2B's 3 years , & SB one year. No other stats of signifcance.  Biggio's high in RBI's is 88(he averaged 67RBI/season). He wasn't a dominant player.

I gave you Belles stats, and yes his career was only 12 years, but he was dominant for 10 of those years. That equals a HOFer to me.
    By that logic Mattingly should be in then.  

Nope.

Ryan Howard should get in.

Nope.

Writers use your logic as of late, they have with Guerrero, Trammel, Morris, Hoffman and Raines.

None of them should be in.

There are a few more over the years that I scratch my head at also...

Again Biggio is 15th all-time in runs.  Take a look at the five others below him.

But hey, we can disagree.  I know you're wrong, lol.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Nope.

Nope.

Writers use your logic as of late, they have with Guerrero, Trammel, Morris, Hoffman and Raines.

Again Biggio is 15th all-time in runs.  Take a look at the five others below him.

Mattingly should get in
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    McCullers out next season for TJ surgery. Damnit. I had a feeling...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    mfc2006 said:
    McCullers out next season for TJ surgery. Damnit. I had a feeling...
    Good chance you guys bring back Morton now?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Nope.

Nope.

Mattingly should get in
    Stop it, stop!!!!
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Nope.

Nope.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    igotid88 said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Nope.

Nope.

Mattingly should get in
    Stop it, stop!!!!
    never. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Nope.

Nope.

Mattingly(5) & Howard(6) had about half the Prime year's Stats that Belle(10) had, and no, they should not be in. Belle should.

Not logic, when 12 seasons  a player avg.  is .295  40 HR & 130 RBI, tells me a HOFer.  I know i would take that on my team for 12 years. Would you? I agree with you when i think of Trammel, Morris, Hoffman, i don't automatically think HOFers. Valdimir Guerrero i do think HOF. He was a 5-Tool player.

Johnny Damon scored more runs the Ken Griffey JR. 

And yes, we can disagree, but i think  both of us might be   wrong>LOL
  • Options
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1646661

Report: Harper rebuffed 'aggressive offer' from Nationals in September
    2h ago
    Dilip Vishwanat / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    ST LOUIS MO - AUGUST 16 Bryce Harper 34 of the Washington Nationals stands on second after hitting an RBI double against the St Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on August 16 2018 in St Louis Missouri

The Washington Nationals reportedly offered star outfielder Bryce Harper a new long-term contract to stay with the club on the last day of the regular season, according to Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post.

It was apparently "an aggressive offer," though it did not include any opt-outs and was said to be worth less than $400 million.

Harper did not take the deal, electing instead to explore free agency.

While the length of the offer is unknown, it was reportedly worth about $30-million per season, according to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports.

General manager Mike Rizzo explained, per Janes, the team was trying to get a head start with Harper before he hit the open market during negotiations throughout September.

"(We) took advantage of our exclusivity late in the season," he said, "(but) couldn't reach a deal."

The Nationals extended a qualifying offer to the former National League MVP last week, so if he does sign with a new team, Washington will receive a supplemental draft pick in 2019 as compensation.

• Options
    cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1646661

Report: Harper rebuffed 'aggressive offer' from Nationals in September
    2h ago
    Dilip Vishwanat / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    ST LOUIS MO - AUGUST 16 Bryce Harper 34 of the Washington Nationals stands on second after hitting an RBI double against the St Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on August 16 2018 in St Louis Missouri

The Washington Nationals reportedly offered star outfielder Bryce Harper a new long-term contract to stay with the club on the last day of the regular season, according to Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post.

It was apparently "an aggressive offer," though it did not include any opt-outs and was said to be worth less than $400 million.

Harper did not take the deal, electing instead to explore free agency.

While the length of the offer is unknown, it was reportedly worth about $30-million per season, according to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports.

General manager Mike Rizzo explained, per Janes, the team was trying to get a head start with Harper before he hit the open market during negotiations throughout September.

"(We) took advantage of our exclusivity late in the season," he said, "(but) couldn't reach a deal."

The Nationals extended a qualifying offer to the former National League MVP last week, so if he does sign with a new team, Washington will receive a supplemental draft pick in 2019 as compensation.

I wouldn't do any 10 year deals with a player ever...  Too much can happen over that period of time.

Has any 10yr deal been great?

Is Bonilla's contract up yet?
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Nope.

Nope.

Mattingly(5) & Howard(6) had about half the Prime year's Stats that Belle(10) had, and no, they should not be in. Belle should.

Not logic, when 12 seasons  a player avg.  is .295  40 HR & 130 RBI, tells me a HOFer.  I know i would take that on my team for 12 years. Would you? I agree with you when i think of Trammel, Morris, Hoffman, i don't automatically think HOFers. Valdimir Guerrero i do think HOF. He was a 5-Tool player.

Johnny Damon scored more runs the Ken Griffey JR. 

And yes, we can disagree, but i think  both of us might be   wrong>LOL
    10 years does not make you a HOFer.  This isn't Football.

The Damon stat to JR is just silly.  JR was so much more of a player.  He did steal a lot of bases though.

If you go by WAR Belle is only 40, Biggio is 65, Damon 56 and Griffey at 86.

That is a weird stat but it holds merit in a lot of arguments.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Agree with you here.  If you were never one of the top 10 or so players in your league at any time in your career I don't think you belong in the Hall of Fame.  Biggio was very good but at no point was he really considered one of the best players in his league.  For Hall of Fame a few dominant years means more to me than a long career piling up stats.  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Hall worthy numbers?

Hits? 1700, nope.
    HR? 381, nope.
    Runs?  974, nope.

Had 3000 hits.

He also won 4GG.

He belongs in.

Agree with you here.  If you were never one of the top 10 or so players in your league at any time in your career I don't think you belong in the Hall of Fame.  Biggio was very good but at no point was he really considered one of the best players in his league.  For Hall of Fame a few dominant years means more to me than a long career piling up stats.  
    Biggio was in the top 10 for MVP voting 3 times and an All-Star 7 times.

Again with thinking like that you'd have some killer players with short bursts.  

Baseball is about stats.  They all mean something, so if you hit one of those milestones you will be going to the HOF.

I also think Palmiero, Clemens, Bonds, McGwire and A-Rod should be in too.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,455
    will clark > don mattingly.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12