MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    MVP early voting or Vegas odds rather, has Trout as MVP. 

Say what?!?

I love the Angels and Trout but the team stinks.

JD Martinez or Betts are more deserving.

Thoughts?
    Trout hit the DL, which will hurt him.  He does every single thing so well, he is just amazing.
    Agree that it will probably end up being Betts or JD.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

Say what?!?

Thoughts?
    Trout hit the DL, which will hurt him.  He does every single thing so well, he is just amazing.
    Agree that it will probably end up being Betts or JD.
    Altuve too or he would be in heavy consideration too.  I love, love, love watching him play.
    NL Wildcard and Division battles are heating up!
    Brewers +.5
    Phillies -
    Rockies -
    Cardinal Assholes -
    Dodgers - 2
    (Pirates,Nats, Giants...6-7 out and pretty much done with all of these teams in front unless they go on a major streak)

Hoping the Brewers and Phillies go.
    Anyone but those fucking Cardinals would be OK w/me.

How about the A's in the AL?!?  Where the hell did they come from?!?

Seattle is heating up too.

Will the yankees falter or is it still full steam ahead?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I want to talk about throwing at batters.

So, my take is that batters do not fear about getting hit anymore.  They dig in every time before every pitch.  

If a batter gets brushed back then the ump gives the pitcher a warning and then the batter owns the box pretty much.

Brushing back the batter and hitting the batter are part of the game but when you have an idiot that throws at someones head then it ruins it.

I say hit em in the back or the thigh.
    But why?
    See above explanation.

I am also a big fan of old school baseball and to watch and hear the stories of Gibson or Drysdale brushing back batters is awesome.

Hell, I loved the ongoing feud w Randy Johnson and Kenny Lofton.  Liked watching Pedro and Clemens work batters too.

Your arguments are as soft as throwing at someone intentionally.

You asked "why" and I told you.  I'm sorry that you don't like my answer but you seem to be in the minority on this as others are siding with me.

Next topic!!!
    Methinks that "people on the internet agree with me" is not really the best argument for winning a debate

So, my take is that batters do not fear about getting hit anymore.  They dig in every time before every pitch.  

If a batter gets brushed back then the ump gives the pitcher a warning and then the batter owns the box pretty much.

Brushing back the batter and hitting the batter are part of the game but when you have an idiot that throws at someones head then it ruins it.

But why?
    See above explanation.

I am also a big fan of old school baseball and to watch and hear the stories of Gibson or Drysdale brushing back batters is awesome.

Hell, I loved the ongoing feud w Randy Johnson and Kenny Lofton.  Liked watching Pedro and Clemens work batters too.

You asked "why" and I told you.  I'm sorry that you don't like my answer but you seem to be in the minority on this as others are siding with me.

Next topic!!!
    Methinks that "people on the internet agree with me" is not really the best argument for winning a debate
    Mesaid that "let's agree to disagree" too...

But if people do agree with me how does that not support my argument?!?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Brewers +.5
    Phillies -
    Rockies -
    Cardinal Assholes -
    Dodgers - 2
    (Pirates,Nats, Giants...6-7 out and pretty much done with all of these teams in front unless they go on a major streak)

Fewer teams in the AL but it is getting exciting there as well.

Yanks + 3.5
    Astros/As - one is in Division slot, other 2nd WC -
    Seattle -3.5

I don't see the Yanks falling below 2 teams but it could happen.  I think the Astros hold on to division and As get WC matchup w/Yanks.

But why?
    See above explanation.

Next topic!!!

I was half serious, but you could say the sky is purple and people on the internet would agree with you.  The internet is full of crazy people...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

Say what?!?

Thoughts?
    I think you have to throw in Jose Ramirez for Cleveland in the mix too.

Should be a interesting vote.

But why?
    See above explanation.

Next topic!!!

I was half serious, but you could say the sky is purple and people on the internet would agree with you.  The internet is full of crazy people...
    To the people here on this thread that agreed w me.  

Cliffy just called all of y'all nuts!!!

lol

PS I do agree w u too Cliffy!!!
    Brewers +.5
    Phillies -
    Rockies -
    Cardinal Assholes -
    Dodgers - 2

Fewer teams in the AL but it is getting exciting there as well.

Yanks + 3.5
    Astros/As - one is in Division slot, other 2nd WC -
    Seattle -3.5

I don't see the Yanks falling below 2 teams but it could happen.  I think the Astros hold on to division and As get WC matchup w/Yanks.
    A's are enfuego...

I'd like for them to bring up Merrell next year!!!

But why?
    See above explanation.

Next topic!!!

To the people here on this thread that agreed w me.  

Cliffy just called all of y'all nuts!!!

lol

PS I do agree w u too Cliffy!!!
    haha, I meant to caveat it by saying I like the people here, buuut...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Jose Ramirez for MVP.  He not only has outstanding offensive numbers, but has a .977 fielding % and a 1.0 DWAR which is outstanding for a 3rd baseman.  And his offensive numbers are crazy.  He can do it all.  2nd in HRs, tied AL lead for SB (how often does a power hitter lead a league in SB's??) and 1.036 OPS.  JD has had a great year, but he gets to rest every inning, not play the hot corner.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    sorry, trout...you’re like palmiero, putting up meaningless numbers on a meaningless team.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    sorry, trout...you’re like palmiero, putting up meaningless numbers on a meaningless team.
    That is pretty silly. 
    Palmeiro was a fucking juicer, like your asspal Barry. 
    Trout is the best player of his generation. 
    His team overreached for Hamilton, Pujols, and others and this hamstrung him.  No fault of his.
    I hope he bails and goes somewhere where they will pay to play -- Phillies, Yanks, etc.
    Wobbie said:
    That is pretty silly. 
    His team overreached for Hamilton, Pujols, and others and this hamstrung him.  No fault of his.
    I hope he bails and goes somewhere where they will pay to play -- Phillies, Yanks, etc.
    I'd love to see him in the National League, so my team doesn't have to face him.  He is the best player in baseball.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    That is pretty silly. 
    I'd love to see him in the National League, so my team doesn't have to face him.  He is the best player in baseball.  
    He does everything at a top level, every year.

Now, if he would wear a protective sleeve/glove when he runs the bases, perhaps he can avoid hurting himself again that way.
    Wobbie said:
    That is pretty silly. 
    Angels are my team and I will say that some of their front office decisions are horrible.

The Angels should be getting everything they can to help this team win but no one stays when they do short term trades for players.

Seeing players like Trumbo, Texiera, Hunter, Lackey to name a few go over the years was painful.

Wobbie said:
    That is pretty silly. 
    Angels are my team and I will say that some of their front office decisions are horrible.

The Angels should be getting everything they can to help this team win but no one stays when they do short term trades for players.

Seeing players like Trumbo, Texiera, Hunter, Lackey to name a few go over the years was painful.

Having lived or worked in Orange County for a period of about 15 years I went to lots and lots of Angels games.  Went through times where tickets on the field/dugouts were easy to crazy to get.  Went to a WS game there.
    Even though they are not my team, I rejoiced when Moreno bought them and they made many great changes.
    Would like to see them do well.
    My in-laws know Trout's family.  (They are from the same area)  Where I live now everyone loves Trout.
    Anyone who loves baseball probably loves the guy, he is amazing at the game and appears to be a great dude as well.
    Agree on the team management.
    And....even when I lived in LA and went to that shitheep of a stadium before they opened up the outfield I still always enjoyed going there.
    Wobbie said:
    That is pretty silly. 

Having lived or worked in Orange County for a period of about 15 years I went to lots and lots of Angels games.  Went through times where tickets on the field/dugouts were easy to crazy to get.  Went to a WS game there.
    Even though they are not my team, I rejoiced when Moreno bought them and they made many great changes.
    Would like to see them do well.
    My in-laws know Trout's family.  (They are from the same area)  Where I live now everyone loves Trout.
    Anyone who loves baseball probably loves the guy, he is amazing at the game and appears to be a great dude as well.
    Agree on the team management.
    I was lucky enough to attend the Angels Mariners game that was moved to Anaheim.  This was when parts of the Kingdome were actually falling down. We paid $10-15 for field seats.  This was when Salmon was just coming around, Griffey was great and Bo Jackson was on the team.  94ish?!?

I loved Moreno at first.  Hell, they did win a WS in 02 with that clan of crazies like Erstead and Eckstein!!!

Thanks for sharing.

I still need the Angels to do more.  Hopefully Maaitan will be great and he comes up soon.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I totally forgot about Bo playing for the Angels.
    Do you remeber Mo Vaughn?  He's the reason why all MLB parks have those little fences in front of their dugouts...

Ahhhh, the Angels and their legacies, lol!!!
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Do you remeber Mo Vaughn?  He's the reason why all MLB parks have those little fences in front of their dugouts...

I forgot he played for the Angels. I just remember him in Boston.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Haha yep!  Never put 2+2 together with the dugout fences but that makes sense.
    Acuna is great.  So mad I didn't get more of his damn cards!!!
    I know this is not MLB, but i thought i would post this.

I know i've NEVER seen a walk-off like this:

https://youtu.be/meLRi37oTiE

I don't know why, but I found it interesting that they use arabic numbers, just like we do.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    cutz said:

what level of ball was that?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    cutz said:

Squeeze play
    cutz said:

Squeeze play
    Yeah i know, but the runner scored from 2nd base too, to win the game.

This was a HS event in Japan, Wobbie.