Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited September 2017
    Both get the foot down early
    pjhawks said:
    HBO Real Sports did a story a year or so ago about batted balls in the stands. they did a test where they had people sitting behind plexiglass and even when they told the people when the ball was coming none had reaction times fast enough to avoid the ball.  it's amazing more people don't get hurt and that someone hasn't been killed.
    Yep, my wife asked me how you move even if you are paying attention.  I told her you can cover your face or turn away but there is no getting away unless you just happen to move precisely the right way. 
    Catch it?!? Isn't that an option?
    You can't be serious? 
    I'm dead serious.  If a ball comes my way I'm trying to catch it not move out of the way.  I've barehanded screamers before.
    Man, are you tough.  Here's the thing though, toddlers and women may not be as tough as you when it comes to 'screamers' at their head.  I'd rather impede on your toughness and have someone not die.

I didn't know grown ass men felt so strongly about catching baseballs and nets.
    Yeah, I will catch pop ups but I'm not trying to catch a line drive w/o a glove.  Seems like a very easy way to break your hand. 

This is a very Wobbie / get off my lawn type of conversation.  :)

Put the nets up and be done with it.  I love going to hockey and it hasn't ruined that sport & the viewing pleasure.
    It has protected against another 13 year old girl dying at a game, however.
    I see both of your points and I get it.  Evolution of the game.  Put up the nets.  I'll sit in the outfield now, lol.  More HR's are being hit anyway.
    I was going to say to sit in the outfield and catch home runs.  They're more fun that foul balls anyway.
    No, I get it.  Same could be said as to "why do you have a kid in possible harms way" in the lower infield seats?

But I'll give and say again, put up the nets.
    Agree with you on that question.  Guessing Grandpa had some difficult conversations with the Father about that.  I want to bring my little one next year when the older one (then 13) and I go.  He will be 4.  This means we sit completely out of harms way...and really, it means I probably will spend most of the time walking around.  Want to bring him to his first game but I am guessing it will only be 1, unless my wife wants to go and she can go walk around with him while we watch the game.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Let's go with season awards.

AL

MVP  Jose Altuve
    ROY  Aaron Judge
    CY Young  Kluber

NL

MVP  Bryce Harper/Giancarlo Stanton  Harper was a runaway if he doesn't get hurt but still gets it for the teams record
    ROY  Cody Bellinger
    CY Young Kershaw

Whatcha got?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628

AL

MVP  Jose Altuve
    ROY  Aaron Judge
    CY Young  Kluber

NL

MVP  Bryce Harper/Giancarlo Stanton  Harper was a runaway if he doesn't get hurt but still gets it for the teams record
    ROY  Cody Bellinger
    CY Young Kershaw

Whatcha got?
    Seems right.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

AL

MVP  Jose Altuve
    ROY  Aaron Judge
    CY Young  Kluber

NL

ROY  Cody Bellinger
    CY Young Kershaw

Whatcha got?
    Seems right.  
    Even with Harper?  I figured there'd be arguments for Arenado?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    I was thinking Stanton.  Second for me is probably Votto who's had a great year. 
    I wouldn't include Harper because of the injury.  If you include injuries, you have to put Trout in the mix.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    MVP - Altuve AL, Goldschmidt NL
    ROY - Judge AL, Bellinger NL
    CYA - Kluber AL, Kershaw NL
    MOY - Molitor AL, Counsell NL
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    it would be good for bellinger to win ROY.......so he can flame out like hollandsworth and pederson.....or mondesi, sr., who just went to jail.

fuck the d**gers.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    MVP - Altuve AL, Goldschmidt NL
    ROY - Judge AL, Bellinger NL
    CYA - Kluber AL, Kershaw NL
    MOY - Hinch AL, Counsell NL
    I almost agree with you
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,315
    Mattingly's Marlins tragic number has been at 1 since Sunday. Would be nice if it can be there one more day
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Mattingly's Marlins tragic number has been at 1 since Sunday. Would be nice if it can be there one more day

for god's sake!

stop it!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:

for god's sake!

stop it!
    never
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:

for god's sake!

stop it!
    Your Giants might get Stanton next year
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:

for god's sake!

stop it!
    Your Giants might get Stanton next year

seroiusly doubt it.

they're also rumored to be in the mix for the japanese two way player, but I doubt that too.

they'll extend pence, instead :rolls_eyes:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    fucking brewers.

not like they were going anywhere, but still....

:angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    there are 3 AL teams I wouldn't mind seeing go all the way :triumph:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Astros, Tribe, & Twins?
  • Options
    If Judge keeps crushing shit out I may change my mind on MVP...

Also I loved this.  Good for Addison Russel.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/912513715815305216
  • Options

"Nacho Man" is going to have a hell of a day at work today!  That was a great moment.  Cubs on-field reporter Kelly Crull interviewed him later during the game and he was on cloud nine.  People were asking him for autographs by the end of the game.  One minute of Russell's time and that guy is going to have a great story to tell for the rest of his life.

He ended up catching another foul ball later, too, and gave it to a kid sitting nearby.
  • Options

"Nacho Man" is going to have a hell of a day at work today!  That was a great moment.  Cubs on-field reporter Kelly Crull interviewed him later during the game and he was on cloud nine.  People were asking him for autographs by the end of the game.  One minute of Russell's time and that guy is going to have a great story to tell for the rest of his life.

He ended up catching another foul ball later, too, and gave it to a kid sitting nearby.
    That story got even better!

I miss times like this in BB.  I remember Mattingly eating a kids popcorn.  Larry Walker giving a kid a ball then took it back because it was only out 2.  Rickey Henderson seeking out a little girl fan when he was traded to another team but returned to the old stadium.

I LOVE stories like this.
  • Options

I miss times like this in BB.  I remember Mattingly eating a kids popcorn.  Larry Walker giving a kid a ball then took it back because it was only out 2.  Rickey Henderson seeking out a little girl fan when he was traded to another team but returned to the old stadium.

Absolutely!  A few seasons back there was this girl in Milwaukee who was a HUGE fan of Carlos Gomez and went to a bunch of games with signs made up for him, always wearing his jersey, etc.  He surprised her one day by going into the stands and picking her out to throw the ceremonial first pitch. She lit up like a Christmas tree.  In the game, he hit a home run and waved to her as he rounded the bases.
    Any time a player goes even the slightest bit out of the way to make a fan's day is THE best. 
  • Options

Absolutely!  A few seasons back there was this girl in Milwaukee who was a HUGE fan of Carlos Gomez and went to a bunch of games with signs made up for him, always wearing his jersey, etc.  He surprised her one day by going into the stands and picking her out to throw the ceremonial first pitch. She lit up like a Christmas tree.  In the game, he hit a home run and waved to her as he rounded the bases.
    Any time a player goes even the slightest bit out of the way to make a fan's day is THE best. 
    You know what's funny?  I'd like a player to do that for me and I'm 41, lol!

So more thread integrity:

Does Judge belong in the MVP conversation still?  His numbers are too huge to ignore.
  • Options
    If, at the very least, Judge isn't named a finalist for MVP, there's something wrong.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

I was at that game!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,257
    Wobbie said:

This is not surprising.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I was at that game!
    Holy Crap, really?!?  I remember watching it on Sportscenter!!!
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Astros, Tribe, & Twins?

you got it!

twins have no shot. It'd be nice to see them beat the yankees but I don't even see that happening.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,257
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Astros, Tribe, & Twins?

you got it!

twins have no shot. It'd be nice to see them beat the yankees but I don't even see that happening.
    Yankees will be favored to beat the Twins so you should root for the Yankees.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Astros, Tribe, & Twins?

you got it!

Yankees will be favored to beat the Twins so you should root for the Yankees.

never. even I have SOME standards.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Astros, Tribe, & Twins?

you got it!

First team in history to go from 100 losses to making the playoffs.  Anything can happen!