MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    philly fans complaining about other fans.

SAD! :wink:

speaking of philly, the loved and hated (and strike three NLCS over taking) ryan howard is officially done.
    He was done 6 years ago. I am SHOCKED he hung around this long.  I believe he had 2 good years and was not anything great.  Low average and a bunch of K's.
    from 2006 until 2011 Ryan's batted .294 with an average of 44 home runs and 133 RBI's per season.  that's a damn impressive 6 year run which doesn't include his Rookie of the Year season when he only played 88 games.  so 7 great fucking years which includes a rookie of the year, MVP, 2nd in MVP and 3rd in MVP voting.  so uh yea try goggle before talking stats.
    He batted over .300 once so I'm not sure how he averaged 294?!?  .275 I think. The rest is correct though.  

He also averaged 180 k's a year, led or was 2nd in errors every one of those years.

I'm not a fan, don't hate me for it.  Again I never thought he was that special.  He's like Cecil Fielder to me.

2012 his numbers plummeted.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    philly fans complaining about other fans.

SAD! :wink:

speaking of philly, the loved and hated (and strike three NLCS over taking) ryan howard is officially done.
    He was done 6 years ago. I am SHOCKED he hung around this long.  I believe he had 2 good years and was not anything great.  Low average and a bunch of K's.
    from 2006 until 2011 Ryan's batted .294 with an average of 44 home runs and 133 RBI's per season.  that's a damn impressive 6 year run which doesn't include his Rookie of the Year season when he only played 88 games.  so 7 great fucking years which includes a rookie of the year, MVP, 2nd in MVP and 3rd in MVP voting.  so uh yea try goggle before talking stats.
    He batted over .300 once so I'm not sure how he averaged 294?!?  .275 I think. The rest is correct though.  

He also averaged 180 k's a year, led or was 2nd in errors every one of those years.

I'm not a fan, don't hate me for it.  Again I never thought he was that special.  He's like Cecil Fielder to me.

2012 his numbers plummeted.

whoops i tried to do the math off baseball-reference.com and f'd it up for his average.  you are correct closer to .275.  his numbers plummeted after his achilles injury and came back mid-season when he should have probably sat the whole season. he was never the same.  still hard to deny he had 7 great seasons.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited May 2017
    Wobbie said:
    not that I'm anti-mom, but these pink unis are atrocious.....some (d**gers) more than others.

Well, now this is an area you and I can agree on. Pisses me off seeing pink all throughout the month of October EVERYWHERE in the NFL too. Wear a fucking ribbon instead of random pink shit everywhere. It is a gosh darn eyesore.

Also, just a reminder: the Astros are not, have never been, and will never be "your" team.

Thank you.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    not that I'm anti-mom, but these pink unis are atrocious.....some (d**gers) more than others.

Well, now this is an area you and I can agree on. Pisses me off seeing pink all throughout the month of October EVERYWHERE in the NFL too. Wear a fucking ribbon instead of random pink shit everywhere. It is a gosh darn eyesore.

Also, just a reminder: the Astros are not, have never been, and will never be "your" team.

Thank you.

we're more alike than we're different :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

Thank you.

Money.

Same reason why teams have "alternate" jerseys...
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Wobbie said:

Thank you.

....well I don't want to wear the ribbon.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:

Thank you.

Money.

Same reason why teams have "alternate" jerseys...
    Yep.  People will buy shirts & jerseys because they are pink, blue, gold, camo, stars & stripes, etc.  Patches & ribbons aren't anywhere near as marketable.
    I gotta give it to the breast cancer people but.....goddam!.... it's curable with early detection and stuff like I got kills more people.

colon cancer is a hard sell, I guess.

boobs > assholes

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    So the Braves got butt hurt from Bautistas bat flip?  C'mon...

I hope he flips his bat after his next walk.

Flip that shit Bautista!!!

What Bautista did is NOT a bat flip (not last night, not 2 playoffs ago).  He THREW the fucking bat.  That is not a flip in any way, shape, or form.  That is a hazard and it's completely unsportsmanlike.  Fuck that prick!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Bautista is the biggest nerd in baseball. 
    Bautista needs to retire after this one.  Never go out in public again kind of stuff

“I’m surprised he’s ready to fight again after last year,” O’Flaherty said, laughing. “But he’s throwing some looks around so … it’s what it is.”

What Bautista did is NOT a bat flip (not last night, not 2 playoffs ago).  He THREW the fucking bat.  That is not a flip in any way, shape, or form.  That is a hazard and it's completely unsportsmanlike.  Fuck that prick!
    Bat "toss".  There, happy?

Toss that shit!  I love it!!!

If a whole team can celebrate on home plate like they just won a world series then he can toss his bat after an HR...

If a whole team can celebrate on home plate like they just won a world series then he can toss his bat after an HR...
    They were down by approximately a million runs. I love bat flips but he's a fucking turd
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Bat tosses on meaningless homers are bullshit. No different than a receiver who show boats after a 1st down when his team is down 21. I hope he gets plunked for it. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

They were down by approximately a million runs. I love bat flips but he's a fucking turd
    EXACTLY my point about the WHOLE team celebrating a meaningless win like they just won the World Series or perhaps breaking out the champagne and goggles for a Wild Card win?
    I don't see a problem with an entire team celebrating a victory, especially when grabbed from the jaws of defeat.  I don't really have a problem with bat flips.  Although I hope it stays at that and doesn't turn into football where every fucking play they act like its the play of the year.  If it ain't a home run and you're not winning, don't bat flip.  Plain and simple. 

And if you're Jose Bautista, and your team is down 8-3 in the 8th and you hit a solo home run during a season you're batting under .200 and your team is in last place, definitely don't act like a jackass and throw your bat.
    I don't see a problem with an entire team celebrating a victory, especially when grabbed from the jaws of defeat.  I don't really have a problem with bat flips.  Although I hope it stays at that and doesn't turn into football where every fucking play they act like its the play of the year.  If it ain't a home run and you're not winning, don't bat flip.  Plain and simple. 

And if you're Jose Bautista, and your team is down 8-3 in the 8th and you hit a solo home run during a season you're batting under .200 and your team is in last place, definitely don't act like a jackass and throw your bat.
    It's the new face of Baseball.  At least it gets us talking!

Jean Segura for Seattle.  He is taring it up!

Thoughts?
    Yeah, I don't mind the bat flips if it's kept simple.  It's a cool little signature the batter can add to a timely hit.  But that's how it started in the NFL, though.  One guy celebrated a touchdown.  Then everyone started doing it.  Now it's every score, every gain of 10+ yds, every first down, every tackle you'd think they just hoisted the damn Lombardi trophy.  I just don't want to see the batflips become bigger the game and baseball turn into a bunch of prima donnas celebrating every single or routine groundout.

Segura's a decent ball player.  Being a Cubs fan, I saw a lot of him when he was with Milwaukee.  Led the league in hits last year with Arizona.
    Yeah, I don't mind the bat flips if it's kept simple.  It's a cool little signature the batter can add to a timely hit.  But that's how it started in the NFL, though.  One guy celebrated a touchdown.  Then everyone started doing it.  Now it's every score, every gain of 10+ yds, every first down, every tackle you'd think they just hoisted the damn Lombardi trophy.  I just don't want to see the batflips become bigger the game and baseball turn into a bunch of prima donnas celebrating every single or routine groundout.

Segura's a decent ball player.  Being a Cubs fan, I saw a lot of him when he was with Milwaukee.  Led the league in hits last year with Arizona.
    I'm trying to find out why he's been on so many teams in so little time.

Oh and not sure how old you are but look up "Icky Shuffle"
    Funny you mention that.  Ickey was exactly who I had in mind with my "one guy celebrated a touchdown" remark.  I like end zone celebrations.  They're fun.  Randy Moss had some great ones!  But unfortunately it grew into every position on the field wanting to celebrate every play.  Went from fun to annoying.

Not sure why Segura's been on the trading block so much.  I know he was part of the Greinke trade when the Angels sent him to Milwaukee, more of a prospect at that point.  He had a down year when the Brewers sent him to Arizona.
    Imagine that - the Cubs giving up runs in the 1st inning. Haven't seen that 24 times this season.
    Bautista is the biggest nerd in baseball. 
    more of a turd than a nerd.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Funny you mention that.  Ickey was exactly who I had in mind with my "one guy celebrated a touchdown" remark.  I like end zone celebrations.  They're fun.  Randy Moss had some great ones!  But unfortunately it grew into every position on the field wanting to celebrate every play.  Went from fun to annoying.

Not sure why Segura's been on the trading block so much.  I know he was part of the Greinke trade when the Angels sent him to Milwaukee, more of a prospect at that point.  He had a down year when the Brewers sent him to Arizona.
    He had 1/2 a good season with Mil. The second half of his all star season was not good. They traded him from AZ as last year was seen as his career year. AZ does not know how to evaluate players so they were probably wrong to move him. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    know what you get when you shit in a golf bag?

ickey woods.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

He had 1/2 a good season with Mil. The second half of his all star season was not good. They traded him from AZ as last year was seen as his career year. AZ does not know how to evaluate players so they were probably wrong to move him. 
    Thanks for that info.  He looks solid as hell and never read anything on him being a problem in the clubhouse.

Also the Mets' trainers have been a sense of ire for many a NY'er.  A reporter finally got some proof that they have been botching things.

There has been rumors that the training staff has been incompetent and now there is proof.
    fuck the rockies; fuck the d-bags.

fuck the phantom strike 3 on joe panik.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    fuck the rockies; fuck the d-bags.

fuck the phantom strike 3 on joe panik.
    You are an angry elf...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

Potential No. 1 selection McKay wants to be both pitcher, hitter

While the 2017 MLB Draft lacks a consensus No. 1 pick, the top two selections share a common remarkable attribute: they're both two-way players, and one of them is serious about taking those talents to the majors.

Brendan McKay is a left-handed pitcher and first baseman who currently plays for the University of Louisville.

"As long as I can do it, I want to try to do it," McKay told Steve Jones of USA Today regarding the possibility of being both a pitcher and a hitter at the MLB level.

To his credit, McKay is surprised at this two-way development, claiming he "never thought it would come to this, being at such a level of hitting and pitching."

The 21-year-old prospect is joined at the top of most draft boards by high school prospect Hunter Greene, who is a shortstop and pitcher. The 17-year-old lacks the development McKay has enjoyed in college, but could also make the case for being a two-way athlete.

The top selection in the upcoming draft is property of the Minnesota Twins, an American League team which employs the designated hitter.

The second overall pick belongs to the Cincinnati Reds, who happen to employ two-way player Michael Lorenzen, who has pitched 24 1/3 innings in relief, while also hitting a home run in five at-bats.

The draft gets underway June 12