MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    Raise the mound? The batters are  on pace to set the all time MLB strikeout record for a season, for what? 3rd or 4th year in-a-row?  Today's players don't care about striking out. HR's gets the big contract.  It drives me nuts the amount of strikeouts in today's game. 

I'd love to see some pitching duels too, but , for the most part, those days are over. TV doesn't help with that, though. I remember seeing Steve Carlton pitch in 1972 and we would be home in 3 hours from his first pitch of the game. And, we didn't live across  the street from the stadium either.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited August 2017
    cutz said:
    Raise the mound? The batters are  on pace to set the all time MLB strikeout record for a season, for what? 3rd or 4th year in-a-row?  Today's players don't care about striking out. HR's gets the big contract.  It drives me nuts the amount of strikeouts in today's game. 

I'd love to see some pitching duels too, but , for the most part, those days are over. TV doesn't help with that, though. I remember seeing Steve Carlton pitch in 1972 and we would be home in 3 hours from his first pitch of the game. And, we didn't live across  the street from the stadium either.
    Gotta agree here.  There seems to be more and more strikeouts attributed to inept batters because they just swing for the fence and swing at everything these days.  Take my Cubs for example.  They strikeout 10 times a game, every game.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  There are very, very few guys around the league that have any patience any more or know how to work a count and tire a pitcher.  The job of the pitcher is to get you, the batter, out.  These days the batter just does it for them.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,960
    cutz said:

Yes raise the mound.  The era of Pitchers will drop like a rock.

2 things that boggle my mind the year before they lowered it, ready?

Carl Yazstremski led the league with a .301 average.  .301...

Bob Gibson led the league with a 1.12 ERA.  He pitched a full year and not a partial.  There wasn't a strike shortened season.

Let those two things sink in.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    The Texas Rangers are selfish pricks. how much of a dickhead organization do you have to try an nut your neighbors during a catastrophe?  just switch the damn series. This is one case where the commissioner should have forced them to switch.
    pjhawks said:
    The Texas Rangers are selfish pricks. how much of a dickhead organization do you have to try an nut your neighbors during a catastrophe?  just switch the damn series. This is one case where the commissioner should have forced them to switch.
    I approve this message^
    edited August 2017
    cutz said:

Bob Gibson led the league with a 1.12 ERA.  He pitched a full year and not a partial.  There wasn't a strike shortened season.

I did  know  about those stats.

They could lower the mound( i'd  like to see it for a couple of seasons to see how it goes), but i doubt the MLBPA would go for it. I'm sure the pitchers would love to see it raised, though.

Check out these stats for these pitchers. They make Bob Gibson & Sandy Koufax stats look ordinary>HAHA>Maybe you've already seen these stats?

Al Spalding: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/spaldal01.shtml

Old Hoss Radbourn: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/radboch01.shtml  (check out that 1884 season> 73 starts & 73 complete games. I always laugh my ass off every time i look at some the old time players stats)
    Post edited by cutz on
    pjhawks said:
    I approve this message^
    I do too. Just don't understand why the Rangers did that. Boggles the mind.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    I approve this message^
    Because it would create a 12 game, 4 city road trip at the very end of the season when they are trying to make the wild card. Not saying it's right but that's why and I get it
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    I approve this message^
    Because it would create a 12 game, 4 city road trip at the very end of the season when they are trying to make the wild card. Not saying it's right but that's why and I get it
    T
    I get it too, but with  this historical catastrophe, you'd think they would want to just switch the Series around. Plus, it's only in Houston & not that far from Arlington. Rangers have got a lot of backlash by not doing it.  I do expect they'll make some kind of Donation.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

They could lower the mound( i'd  like to see it for a couple of seasons to see how it goes), but i doubt the MLBPA would go for it. I'm sure the pitchers would love to see it raised, though.

Check out these stats for these pitchers. They make Bob Gibson & Sandy Koufax stats look ordinary>HAHA>Maybe you've already seen these stats?

Old Hoss Radbourn: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/radboch01.shtml  (check out that 1884 season> 73 starts & 73 complete games. I always laugh my ass off every time i look at some the old time players stats)
    Baseball in it's infancy has some CRAZY numbers. Spitballs and cheating were rampant.  I loved reading the stories of John McGraw rounding the bases from first to third and bypassing 2nd altogether when the ump wasn't looking.  Spalding was a hell of a player too and good pioneer of the game early on.  Glad to see someone else that appreciates the game like that.

Cy Young has more losses than people have wins.  That's just nuts.

The above stats with from 68 are fairly modern and still hold weight.  But you are right when you say that the MLBPA won't allow it.  The inflated numbers are good for attendance and good for a players salary.  But one can dream...
    edited August 2017
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Baseball in it's infancy has some CRAZY numbers. Spitballs and cheating were rampant.  I loved reading the stories of John McGraw rounding the bases from first to third and bypassing 2nd altogether when the ump wasn't looking.  Spalding was a hell of a player too and good pioneer of the game early on.  Glad to see someone else that appreciates the game like that.

The above stats with from 68 are fairly modern and still hold weight.  But you are right when you say that the MLBPA won't allow it.  The inflated numbers are good for attendance and good for a players salary.  But one can dream...
    Babe Ruth hit more home runs than any team in baseball...twice.

I repeat, home runs are fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215

^

Fun fact. That commercial was filmed in Veterans Stadium, not Busch Stadium.

chinese-happy.jpg
    To clarify my stance---yeah, I like home runs. Sure, they are fun.......but, to me, a 1-0 gem of a pitchers duel that takes just under 3 hours is more interesting and fun than a 4 hour plus 10-7 slugfest.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    To clarify my stance---yeah, I like home runs. Sure, they are fun.......but, to me, a 1-0 gem of a pitchers duel that takes just under 3 hours is more interesting and fun than a 4 hour plus 10-7 slugfest.
    That's fair, but there is a happy medium.  How about a 4-3 game with a couple home runs and doubles rather than 1-0 with a walk, bunt and seeing eye single?

I like pitching duels too, though I am clearly partial to offense.

Baseball is great.  We can have it all.

^

Fun fact. That commercial was filmed in Veterans Stadium, not Busch Stadium.

That's cool.  That thing was long gone by the time I got here.
    Yeah, I love a good 1-0 pitchers' duel.  I just don't want 162 of the fucking things.
    Yeah, I love a good 1-0 pitchers' duel.  I just don't want 162 of the fucking things.
    There is too much baseball and too little talent for that to ever happen.

This why I loved Maddux.  Threw maybe 90mph tops.  What was great is that he could pitch lights out and paint the corners.  Dude had control.

This why I loved Maddux.  Threw maybe 90mph tops.  What was great is that he could pitch lights out and paint the corners.  Dude had control.
    He was absolutely incredible to watch.  What the US Army classifies as Expert in marksmanship qualification, he was the baseball equivalent on the pitcher's mound.

He was absolutely incredible to watch.  What the US Army classifies as Expert in marksmanship qualification, he was the baseball equivalent on the pitcher's mound.
    My favorite Maddux factoid:

Every year he tries to accomplish something else in his career to motivate himself so he decided he wanted to try and get more wins than walks.

In 1997 He had 19 wins and gave up only 20 walks... and he didn't win the Cy Young Award...

My favorite Maddux factoid:

Every year he tries to accomplish something else in his career to motivate himself so he decided he wanted to try and get more wins than walks.

In 1997 He had 19 wins and gave up only 20 walks... and he didn't win the Cy Young Award...H e
    He was a surgeon on the mound. Loved watching him pitch.....when it wasn't against the Phillies
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Yup, 1968. Yaz won the batting title with that .301 AVG. which is the lowest ever for batting Champion. I remember one of my HS teachers use to give me & my friends some baseball trivia questions and he asked :who won the batting title with the lowest avg. ever? , and he barely got the question out when i gave him the answer. My Dad use to give me stats like that when i was a kid. He actually took me to Connie Mack Stadium in Philly a couple of times, though i only have a vague memory of it. 

I also couldn't help but notice something about Al Spalding . He only pitched 7 years and only 11 innings in year 7 at age 26. I think his career was over because his arm probably came off after throwing almost 2,900 innings.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Yup, 1968. Yaz won the batting title with that .301 AVG. which is the lowest ever for batting Champion. I remember one of my HS teachers use to give me & my friends some baseball trivia questions and he asked :who won the batting title with the lowest avg. ever? , and he barely got the question out when i gave him the answer. My Dad use to give me stats like that when i was a kid. He actually took me to Connie Mack Stadium in Philly a couple of times, though i only have a vague memory of it. 

I also couldn't help but notice something about Al Spalding . He only pitched 7 years and only 11 innings in year 7 at age 26. I think his career was over because his arm probably came off after throwing almost 2,900 innings.
    With out googling it, do you know Connie Macks real name?

I'm a huge old time baseball buff so I have fun with these things.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Oh and you are correct with Spalding.  He was a pioneer in baseball and helped further it by becoming management.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

I know his real surname was McGillicuddy (sp?), not sure of his first name.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

I'll accept that!  Very good!

Cornelius Alexander McGillicuddy!!!
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Bonus question:

What is HOF'er Al Simmons' real name?
    That one I don't know... I'll give someone else a crack at it.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    I give MLB a big fat F for the uniforms.  As usual Florida Marlins have the ugliest damn ones...
    Such a stupid idea
    I went to the Indians/Royals games Sat and Sun for this weekend.  Saturday night was a jersey giveaway and fireworks.  Sunday was kids day.  I can tell you the kids around us loved the uniforms and had a blast.  I think you guys are either being too cynical or forgetting that kids are a pretty important demographic for MLB...or both.  

You couldn't hit the dead fish pitch he threw.  Kluber has the closest thing to it that we've seen in several years.
    Whoever mentioned that the "swing for the fences" mentality is the main driver behind the rise in strikeouts, is probably right.  You never see anyone choke up, hit for contact...in fact, announcers rave when someone is actually able to hit the ball the other way.  Baseball could lower the hill, shrink the strike zone, and do other tweaks to deal with that issue, but that would be stupid.  It's an approach issue.